• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

⚠ Nintendo Switch Mainland China release could be soon!⚠

Goverment approval documents state that Tencent will be distributing the Nintendo Switch in China.
The console has been approved by the Department of Culture of Guangdong Province.

D4bEupzUIAA8-0e

D4bEvEfU4AAiDVs

The console seems to be sent in for approval along with the DEMO version of New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

The Nintendo Switch was one of the gaming devices approved during the approval period of the first quarter, which is open from Mar 5th to Mar 13th.

This is the time frame when console & game developers could submit their products in for approval.

Update:

Some quotes from the WSJ: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-seeks-to-sell-the-switch-in-china-11555581221

Tencent filed in Guangdong because it is based in the province and the decision applies nationally, analysts said. You Yunting, a partner with Shanghai-based DeBund Law Offices, said the companies would need another license from China's central publishing regulator before they can sell games for the Switch.

A spokeswoman for Tencent, the world's largest videogame company by revenue, declined to comment beyond the regulator's announcement. A Nintendo spokesman confirmed that the company is working with Tencent on applications to Chinese regulators but declined to give details such as when the products would go on sale.

Some Chinese consumers have already gotten their hands on a Switch thanks to gray-market imports from places including Japan and Hong Kong. Daniel Ahmad, an analyst at Niko Partners, said that official distribution and marketing by Tencent could allow the device to "reach a much broader audience."

Nintendo tried to enter China with some smaller machines including the iQue Player with a Chinese-American entrepreneur in 2003. But it didn't succeed because it was hard for consumers to find game for the machines.

Tencent's partnership with Nintendo isn't likely to produce large revenue in China right away because console games make up less than 3% of the country's overall gaming market, said Shawn Yang, managing director of Blue Lotus Capital Advisors. He said most people in China, the world's largest videogame market, play games on smartphones or personal computers.

Mr. Yang said the Nintendo-Tencent tie-up would lead to more lucrative opportunities for both companies, including Tencent potentially making or distributing mobile games using Nintendo characters from franchises such as Mario the plumber and Legend of Zelda.

Last edited:

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Nintendo has near zero official presence in Asia except for Japan, should be huge now that they are entering the biggest market in the region

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch has been widely available in China since launch. This doesn't change very much. But it's a good move for sure just for appearances sake.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has near zero official presence in Asia except for Japan, should be huge now that they are entering the biggest market in the region
Not really. They have Hong Kong branch. And HK is one of the first launch places of Switch. Most of the first party titles (except Splatoon 2) also have Chinese localization.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
I was wondering if wasn't this one of the reason about the fact that Nintendo goal for the fiscal year went from 20M to 17M?
Since they saw they couldn't launch their console in China during the current fiscal year (since I guess the approval are in the pipes since a while) so making a possible huge chunk of sales missing for their prediction?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Outside of already mentioned Hong King there's also South Korea, Switch sold 110k units in it's debut month in December 2017. Not sure if we have seen a number since then but it has an official presence in Asia, I wouldnt call it near zero.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
I really hope they don't gimp the online services with the international Switch versions here like with PSN XBL after its released.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
It's really mindboggling they didn't release PUBG mobile on the switch yet , hopefully this deal will compell tencent to do just that.

TongPoo

Jul 14, 2018
It's been a long time since iQue. Interesting that they are working with Tencent, Tencent has the ability to get games passed the check and raise awareness. But what are they going to do with the Pokemon Go clone which is under Tencent?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Huge for Nintendo. Official hardware releasing in China. Not going backend through piggybacking on the Shield TV or the iQue of old

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lots and lots of people in China already have Switches, and the online works fine with a bit of tinkering.

Yep I see them all the time on the subway and on domestic flights in china. An official release is great but like I said, it doesn't change much. They are widely available already and have been since day 1.

Expel

Oct 25, 2017
.please ninty give us at least singapore eshop for us in SEA .....why do we have to buy from US stores or JP shops
but good on them to get into Chinese market, hope they can find that 1% success

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Yep I see them all the time on the subway and on domestic flights in china. An official release is great but like I said, it doesn't change much. They are widely available already and have been since day 1.
Yeah and first party games are always available day one for around 350 rmb, which is less than 55 dollars. I've rever understood how that works haha.

Oct 25, 2017
...yes it was... confirmed by the chinese government documents in the OP.

Their iQue branch no longer exists. It was shut down earlier this year.

Presumably, Tencent are now taking over all Chinese localisation and publishing duties from iQue.

You got any other sources than that? Seems like the wikipedia entry doesn't have any sources for that and it was edited this week.

Hell any search I do about this literally just goes back to that wikipedia article.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really mindboggling they didn't release PUBG mobile on the switch yet , hopefully this deal will compell tencent to do just that.
yeah it should come, that game is HUGE. most of my friends play it on their phones, i think putting it on a console with more traditional controls will a good choice.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume with Tencent distributing thwy will have proper marketing push?

Curious if it will be region locked.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
...yes it was... confirmed by the chinese government documents in the OP.

You got any other sources than that? Seems like the wikipedia entry doesn't have any annotations for it either.

The documents in the tweet were no longer hosted and came from a twitter account not directly affiliated with Nintendo. As such some could doubt the information provided. Wouldn't you say it's better now that Nintendo confirmed it themselves?

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd assume with Tencent distributing thwy will have proper marketing push?

Curious if it will be region locked.

I guess so. The tier 1 cities already have quite a bit of Nintendo marketing around though, even if it's not directly Switch related. Mario and Pokémon are big brands already and widely known and recognized.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Yes, you can only log in mainland PS store which has much fewer games, so people either hack their console to access HK/US/JP store or buy imported ones.
It's not a hack, but an open secret backdoor. Xbox one works in the same way, and I assume switch would have similar backdoor as well.

Xbox One is also region locked.

So again you have to import one

Like I said above, there's a simple enough backdoor to enable region change for your Chinese Xbox one console. No need to import now.