• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Thanks to Yuji Nakamura (@ynakamura56) on twitter:

DNbnzU_U8AAFjH-.jpg:large

It would seem, then, that undocked mode is the most popular mode of the two (30% for undocked vs. 18% for docked). Additionally, it seems that people generally see/use it more as a handheld than a home console (although most see it as a hybrid), which could go some way in explaining its massive popularity in Japan.

Please lock if old.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
It would be far closer to 50/50 - maybe even in favour of docked - if they included a Pro controller in the box.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Oh nice, Nintendo can get stats via internet when someone plays docked/undocked. But what about the huge amount that plays offline?

Oct 27, 2017
I mainly use it docked and use it undocked when I want to keep playing for a bit in bed or when I go out. It's perfect to have your home console with you when you travel.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Sounds reflective of myself. I generally play undocked when lounging around but tend to use both depending on the situation.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
When stats like these come out, I'm reminded that companies are constantly monitoring everything I do all the time, ha. I'd love to see what other kinds of data they can idly collect.

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
It would be far closer to 50/50 - maybe even in favour of docked - if they included a Pro controller in the box.
I agree, with a included pro controller than people will probably be more likely to stick to Dock mode.

It would interesting to be able to see individual stats for countries. I can imagine Asia countries to play more handheld compared to western countries due to the lifestyle difference.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Highly surprising to me that so many choose to do it both ways. From what I was hearing, it seemed like everyone just played it in portable purely and only tested out docked a bit.

Just goes to show that the actual concept of the console is a winner if so many are using it as intended.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm nearly always docked unless I'm out of the house and need to travel for a while. So yeah, for me it's really mostly a home console. If not, it's a Puyo Puyo Tetris device

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
Mine is docked more often than not because I don't get chance to play unlocked on the go or at work. Trying to play Zelda or Splatoon 2 on the bus sucks with the motion controls messing up whenever it goes round a corner!

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 90% docked except when taking a long train or plane ride. But I do enjoy seeing others with their switches out in public. Guy sitting next to me on a plane a couple of weeks ago had one and exchanged a polite head nod with me.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I play like 90% docked (which is the objectively superior mode due to better visuals/performance/screen (my TV)), 9% tabletop and 1% handheld.

I'm personally a bit surprised at all those who choose to use it in handheld mode even when they have access to a good TV etc. It's by far the least comfortable way to play. It's GREAT that you can do it when you need to, but given the choice I'll go docked every time.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
My Switch is mainly a handheld but rarely gets used outside. It only gets docked for the big hitters that I want to play on my tv like Zelda and now Odyssey

I still can't believe how easy they've made both options.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Only time I ever really dock is when my battery is running low and I still wanna play or in Odyssey's case, when docked mode looks much better than undocked.

I am glad that this data has surface though. Now I can rub my "the only way to play the Switch is docked" friends face in it. :p

CICUU

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I argue that is the reason why Switch has decent sales, because people see it more as handheld than a console. If people perceived it as a console, its sales would have been Wii U levels.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I haven't taken the dock out of the box yet, but it's nice to have the option. Will hook it up for some local multiplayer over Christmas.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I argue that is the reason why Switch has decent sales, because people see it more as handheld than a console. If people perceived it as a console, its sales would have been Wii U levels.

I believe it's because it's a hybrid, it's just a really alluring feature. If was either a pure handheld OR a pure home console it would have sold less.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I mainly use mine undocked, especially on a weekend while the footy is on TV. I think Odyssey is the only game i've played all the way through with it being in docked mode and that was due to the way the game uses the motion controls.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Switch is mainly a handheld but rarely gets used outside. It only gets docked for the big hitters that I want to play on my tv like Zelda and now Odyssey

I still can't believe how easy they've made both options.

I've been 99% docked so far, but it's a great feeling that I can just grab it to take on holiday and continue playing whatever I was playing.

Like, if I were going on holiday right now, I will continue my Odyssey playthrough with 0 hassle. Such a beautiful feature.

Buzzi

Oct 25, 2017
I'd surely be one of those handheld only if I bought it. That makes it even more likely to see some kind of undocked only model, which I'd gladly wait for.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Mines 75% docked, except when I can't get access to the TV, or I'm using my laptop to look up guides and do a bit of gaming too. But my sister takes it out of the dock, so it screws my percentage.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
If Mario didn't rely as much on motion controls (though it ended up being less essential than I thought), I'd likely have played that entirely undocked as well. The sample size of games I've played on it is pretty limited, but given the choice I expect to continue using it as a handheld.

Chomp_Shark

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I´m almost always using mine handheld. Mainly because I only have a 10 year old 720p tv. But now when my 4 year old child has begun playing a bit I think it will be docked more.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are spying us:o
Anyway it's seems about right altho since i have a pro controller the edge goes to docked play.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I use both, docked a bit more - but that does not mean I would be fine with it just docked. Having the freedom to choose is what makes it great.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I spend about 80% of my time docked, but that opportunity to go handheld for the other 20% makes all the difference.

Oct 31, 2017
I use it mostly as a portable, but that's because I'm studying abroad and the dormitory I'm staying in doesn't have a TV. I dock it when I go back home though.

I'm infinitely grateful for the switch because without it I would have 9 months a year without console quality games like Mario Zelda Splatoon and Xenoblade. I probably would have given up on gaming as a hobby entirely

mocoworm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I have only played my Switch docked, once. It's purely a handheld for me at this point.

My PS4 and XONE are tied to the TV and my Switch is for when I am at work, in bed, on the sofa, out of the house, on holiday, on a business trip etc.

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Result of the 3DS migration? There does not seem to be a lot of home console Nintendo fans left.
In my opinion: yes to the first, no to the second. I think that 3ds owners are definitely moving on. However, using Wii U as evidence that home console Nintendo fans aren't there in big numbers anymore is not correct. There are several levels of fans, and I think only the more hardcore levels of Nintendo fans went in on the Wii U. The more casual (pardon the word) Nintendo fan (like me) skipped it and waited for a more attractive option, which turned out to be the Switch. So, I think that, even if there were no 3ds migration, the Switch would still go comfortably ahead of Wii U.

That said, the appeal of the Switch as a hybrid is key in any discussion of its popularity, yet it is hard to pin down its exact influence vs. for example its games library or its appeal as a handheld. So, in the end we can't say for sure what is the major driving force behind the system's success (or, alternatively, we can say that it is exactly its hybrid nature that allows all these different factors to come into play, thereby elevating its hybrid nature as the driving force, which is a fair assessment if somewhat unspecific).

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
If I had a huge TV I wouldn't be playing in undocked docked mode tbh. The viewing distance from my 720p TV makes it look smaller than my switch screen.

It's just a matter of time for this to change, hopefully. I'm investing in a 40''+ inch monitor.

Djrthomson

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to use it docked most of the time but my kids tend to prefer handheld mode. Not sure if it's just because they are so used to seeing mobile phones and tablets all around. I also use tabletop mode for longer sessions, like during Splatfests, so my wife can still use the main television.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The higher amount of players using it in multiple modes proves the concept is both an attractive one and a well-communicated one from its launch, that it can also accommodate those who only want a portable or a box attached to a TV is a healthy bonus.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I've yet to dock my Switch, might even sell that thing and put that money towards Xenoblade 2.

Aigato

Oct 30, 2017
Manchester, UK
I mostly play with mine undocked but I have been making an effort to play it docked more lately. Fantastic idea & it helped ease the passing of my N3DS god rest it's soul.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I tend to use it docked most of the time but my kids tend to prefer handheld mode. Not sure if it's just because they are so used to seeing mobile phones and tablets all around. I also use tabletop mode for longer sessions, like during Splatfests, so my wife can still use the main television.
Back when I was a kid with a GameBoy, even though I had the option of using a console under the telly, I'd often still choose to use the GB on the sofa or sit on my bed and play it. I think it was the idea that it was solely mine, I wasn't going to be kicked off the TV because my parents wanted the living room for something. There was probably less direct observation of how much I was playing and so I was less likely to be asked to turn it off too, I could just wander off with it :D