• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I use it almost exclusively handheld. Hope this data convinces Nintendo to not have features in their games that work significantly better in docked mode over handheld, like the motion controls in Odyssey.

Oct 25, 2017
Upstate NY
It's said that handheld is used more generally... but I wonder if Mario Odyssey will change this, since it has moves that can't be done effectively unless you're playing docked and with Joycons in hand?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I play mostly in handheld and enjoy it a lot that way. I have been playing a lot more docked with Mario though as the game actually still looks excellent absolutely fantastic on the big screen and motion controls are the better control scheme.

I'm really appreciating the ease of switching between the two.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I have actually only played docked with the arms demo and 90% of Super Mario Odyssey. The rest of the games were mainly on portable mode.
It depends of the game for me (also just bought a screen protector so Im less scared of the dock scratching now).

Deleted member 11290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use it almost exclusively handheld. Hope this data convinces Nintendo to not have features in their games that work significantly better in docked mode over handheld, like the motion controls in Odyssey.

Agreed, although I use it in both handheld and docked mode (tablet use is probably under 2% for me). Apart from a few touch-only games like Voez, Nintendo and third parties should really take care to offer great controls in every mode, especially in flagship titles liké Mario.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just bought one a week ago, but I already hate the handheld mode. Mostly due to not like the joy-cons at all. But I love the Pro controller and it makes playing in docked mode pretty damn awesome. Easily my favorite controller of the gen. Sony and MS should study it and learn how to make a controller that doesn't creak and crack when you hold it.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I have still yet to put my switch in it's dock even once. Maybe if I get some co-op games for me and the wife to play i'll try it out but my release Switch still hasn't met that dock.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only played docked mode once, for a match or two in the ARMS test punch. Aside from that, it's been tabletop/handheld for me

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty even split for me. Handheld/Tabletop is super useful not just because I travel a lot, but also because my big TV is in my bedroom and I'm not always in the mood to game from my bed, so I bring my Switch with me everywhere I go, both when I go outside and around the apartment.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'm definitely somewhere in the middle. Portable if I have sports on TV or some show on that doesn't require much attention (or the wife is using the TV), docked if I want the big screen experience.

Sadly I did fuck up one of my Joycons due to big screen - had the Pro controller plugged in via USB (I keep the switch dock next to the couch for easy swapping) and yanked the cable by accident. Thumbstick on right joy-con no longer does up/down and couldn't fix it myself =/

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
100% docked since the day it came out, it literally has never come out of it other than once to move it around on the shelf to make room for my upcoming X1X.

CrayToes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I very much consider my Switch to be a handheld. The fact that it's pretty much 50/50 shows that hybrid was 100% the right way to go, though.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im dont like playing on hand helds so for me mine has been docked 97 percent of the time. But i do use hand held mode occasionally on trips.

Brock

Oct 28, 2017
Pewter City Gym
I have mainly played my Switch in handheld mode just because of it's convince in my daily schedule. I feel like I'll use it docked whenever an opportunity arises though. It already feels much more accessible to plug it into my living room TV compared to setting up my PS4

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bigger breakdown is needed to a degree. Like what's the difference between primarily one or the other vs both?

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
My preference is entirely dependent on the game I'm playing and whether or not the TV is available. I'd say I end up playing in handheld mode about 70% of the time because most of my digital Switch games are indies that look great on the Switch's screen and are well suited to handheld play. For bigger Nintendo releases like Mario Odyssey and BotW I played mostly docked while switching to handheld if my wife wanted to use the living room TV while I played.

Judging by that chart, it seems that the Switch is being used as its design intended by most people: as a hybrid device. Nintendo really filled an open niche that the market hadn't forecasted with the Switch, and it's paying off.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly docked, but I don't have a commute or any need for a handheld or whatever.

I have found the Wii U promise surprisingly awesome, though - I never used the gamepad on the Wii U because of the short range, but now if people need the TV room for some reason I can just pick it up and take it elsewhere, or play it in bed before going to sleep.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably around 65% undocked 35% docked, I thought I'd be almost 100% docked but that clearly didn't happen lol.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
it depends on the game for me.

I really don't like playing games like Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Arms, etc undocked. But Sonic Mania, Star Dew Valley and Golf Story I've played mostly undocked.

Clawbvious

Oct 27, 2017
New York
What this shows, is that the concept is a success.

No kidding! The fact that I consider whether I want to play handheld or docked, and I'm comfortable with both, and it's easy to switch between them has spelled serious success for Nintendo here.

In a world where so many people doubted the viability of a hybrid handheld / console, it's terrific to see they really did it right.Although we need to give a lot of that credit to the spectacular first party slate and their embrace of indies.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I use both all the time and I personally can't go back to a traditional console.

Such a brilliant concept and perfect for my life. The versatility allows me to game way more than I have in years.