• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

legendofjelda

Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I'm the opposite, I primarily play docked, though I've played undocked during trips too. Absolutely love the flexibility, but I'll always prefer the biggest screen available. :)

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
My Switch is mainly a handheld but rarely gets used outside. It only gets docked for the big hitters that I want to play on my tv like Zelda and now Odyssey

I still can't believe how easy they've made both options.
Same for me. I live portables better than home consoles, but from time to time you want to play it on a big screen.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. I played Zelda primarily in docked mode, but ever since then I've mostly treated it as a handheld.

MiguelBañón

Oct 30, 2017
Spain
Well, I guess I'm contributing to mantain the draw. I've never played it docked since I bought it. Not once. I mean, that's really the appeal of the console for me. Being able to play Splatoon while you are in the toilet.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I was expecting to play way more docked since I don't traditionally like playing handhelds, but having a bigger screen makes portable gaming so much better, as does being able to play in table top (though I really need a better propped up solution) for longer sessions.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
My time between undocked and docked playing is pretty evenly split I think. I played for example SMO fully docked, but I played a lot of other games on the way (when flying or when I'm away for weekend/holiday) or even in bed. Plus some quality toilet time.

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised, I have yet to use my dock, I only play undocked or I use the switch on the Hori stand when charging.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I assumed I would be mostly using it in handheld mode, but Mario looks surprisingly good on my TV.

Ugh, gonna need a Pro controller.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
I'd probably say that my switch gets used in both modes nearly the same amount of time. Splatoon or FE Warriors when I'm in bed or have to be away from my monitor on portable mode, docked mode whenever I can sit down back at my screen again.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I do both. Similar to others here, I do docked for the big 3D games like Mario and Zelda, undocked for everything else (including Mario Kart and a bunch of 2D games).

Because of this, the Switch sometimes still blows my mind, lol. I play Puyo Tetris on the train, then I bring it home, dock it, and I'm like "woah, yeah, I can play this on the TV!"

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Use them both. People still trying to wrap their head around the Switch need to just try it already or stop worrying about it so much.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I like to use it both docked and in handheld mode. Table top though, I am afraid to even try, because the little "tab" to keep it in position seems so weak....

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I try playing Mario Odyssey in handheld mode but just can't. It's just not as impressive, visually. The game is glorious on a big screen.

I prefer playing docked on my television whenever possible but very much appreciate the versatility of the console because my game time is very limited these days and sometimes a situation calls for the "grab it and go" approach.

Ferrasvansen

Oct 25, 2017
Azeroth(Scotland)
I never play mine docked anymore with my pc and PS4 hooked to tv i have no free hdmi ports, but in all honesty it suits me just fine this way. There is nothing better than chilling in my bed with Mario or Zelda.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
i Play probably 70 percent undocked, 20 percent docked and 10 percent tabletop mode :) . Has basically tripled my weekly game time now that stupid tv shows are not eating into my game time.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I'm pretty much 95% handheld, at least. I'm probably being generous towards docked mode with that. But I've always been a handheld gamer, so that's not really a surprise to me, pretty much what I expected from before I got it.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using both modes. Mostly docked, with portable mode being great whenever I want to play on bed at night, or someone is using the TV.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I mean i never understood why it wasn't obvious from the start to all..
When your last home console was bought by 15 million people and your last portable by 60+ million, there is a slight chance the portable side of the Switch is going to be the most popular.
That's why any game prioritizing the dock mode or being like "well it sucks in portable mode but it's ok in dock mode so that's good enough" is terribly wrong. That's also why putting motion control in your main Mario (and i don't care how important it is) is dumb as fuck.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I use my Switch undocked 90% of the time. Whenever me and my family visit my brother I try to use my Switch I'm docked mode.

Right now I've set up my Switch with my 1440p monitor but so far games like M+R looks not so good while MK8D looks excellent

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Sign me up as one of the people who's playing it both as handheld and as console then. Lovely to see some hard stats showing that docked only isn't that popular after people insisting that it was a home console.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Personally it depends on the game for me. In Golf Story and Master Blaster i'm happy to use handheld, but I prefer docked for games like Zelda and Mario.

What I love though is the versatility. Preference aside, both modes work extremely well across the board, so it's great still having that option.

Aomori

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I think I split my time pretty evenly between TV and undocked. If I want to take nice looking screenshots of games I make sure to dock it first, though. Noticed a couple of my screenshots from Super Mario Odyssey looked kinda bad and those were all taken in portable mode.

shin_yf

Oct 27, 2017
Although I'm primarily play at home, I'm actually using it undocked most of the time as my family is using the TV. I only get a rare 1 to 4 hours in the weekend having the TV to myself.

It is hard for me to go back to console-only life...

CICUU

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe it's because it's a hybrid, it's just a really alluring feature. If was either a pure handheld OR a pure home console it would have sold less.
I disagree. If Switch was released just as it is without a docking/console mode, it would've had similar sales. In fact, I wager it'll sell more because it'll be cheaper.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Undocked pretty much always for me. Playing docked is a pain because of the added input lag.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
And here I am wishing they would just release a little box for cheaper that only connects to the tv. Give me that and a pro controller and I'd be happy.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I pretty much use it 50/50 as well. If I have control of the TV, it's always docked. If girlfriend is around or I have some appointment where I'm waiting around, handheld mode it is.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not quite sure why the narrative in this thread is "It's a handheld for most people, duh" when the biggest chunk is people playing it both ways. And that's not just a relative majority, but an absolute one.

"70% of Switch owners play it as a home console at least from time to time" sounds quite a bit different, doesn't it?

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I play docked about 99% of the time. Lately there have been a few times where I've taken my Switch to bed with me and played for a little bit before I went to sleep, though.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the game for me, something like Zelda is pretty much 100% docked, but Golf Story is the opposite that I just want to play in handheld