• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seraphic

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Thread derail
Yes cuase that exactly what the industry needs, a 3rd carbon copy poorman PC to play call of duty.
Switch being different is what helped it, people saw value in it that is not in PS4 or Xbone
Also why would the go for a full consoles only when they have virtually a monopoly of the dedicated handheld market?

I know there are a lot Nintendo fans but I honestly wonder why is Nintendo even in the dedicated console market anymore. Profits from selling hardware? License fees from the few third parties who publish on their hardware? Thing is though, when you buy a third party game on Switch, rather then XBX/PS4, you are getting a sub-par version of the game for the same price. It is obvious that Nintendo is not able to provide enough first party games to keep a dedicated console library interesting (look at Wii U). So why not just do what Sega did and go third party? Hell, the only reason I purchased a Switch at launch was because I was hoping for a new F-Zero game and so far I have been left very disappointed. Did you know it has been 15 years since the last true F-Zero game? Yes they were successful with the 3DS and should have maybe done a dedicated handheld successor. But for consoles, they are always behind Sony/Microsoft and I wonder if they would have more resources to produce more games as a third party without having dedicated console hardware to manage?

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I know there are a lot Nintendo fans but I honestly wonder why is Nintendo even in the dedicated console market anymore. Profits from selling hardware? License fees from the few third parties who publish on their hardware? Thing is though, when you buy a third party game on Switch, rather then XBX/PS4, you are getting a sub-par version of the game for the same price. It is obvious that Nintendo is not able to provide enough first party games to keep a dedicated console library interesting (look at Wii U). So why not just do what Sega did and go third party? Hell, the only reason I purchased a Switch at launch was because I was hoping for a new F-Zero game and so far I have been left very disappointed. Did you know it has been almost 15 years since the last true F-Zero game? Yes they were successful with the 3DS and should have maybe done a dedicated handheld successor. But for consoles, they are always behind Sony/Microsoft and I wonder if they would have more resources to produce more games as a third party without having dedicated console hardware to manage?

Is this a troll post?

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Anyone having any crashing issues? The stick of truth crashed on me today, that was the first time I have seen a switch crash.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No. But I admit I am venting a little because it has been 15 years since the last F-Zero game.
I do think Nintendo would have more resources to put into game development if they followed Sega and went third party though.

Yes because Sega is doing so well as just a games developer...

The Switch is selling close to Wii numbers, Nintendo are not going third party any time soon.

Edit: What has any of this got to do with the thread anyway, it seems like you are derailing for no reason?

Seraphic

Oct 29, 2017
Yes because Sega is doing so well as just a games developer...

The Switch is selling close to Wii numbers, Nintendo are not going third party any time soon.

Edit: What has any of this got to do with the thread anyway, it seems like you are derailing for no reason?

Yeah, guess it is the wrong thread to vent a little. Won't post anymore.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. But I admit I am venting a little because it has been 15 years since the last F-Zero game.
I do think Nintendo would have more resources to put into game development if they followed Sega and went third party though.
so yeah troll post then. sorry sega can meh now they went 3rd party, 3d sonic is bad to sub-par. only good games now is Yakuza and valkyira

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I know there are a lot Nintendo fans but I honestly wonder why is Nintendo even in the dedicated console market anymore. Profits from selling hardware? License fees from the few third parties who publish on their hardware? Thing is though, when you buy a third party game on Switch, rather then XBX/PS4, you are getting a sub-par version of the game for the same price. It is obvious that Nintendo is not able to provide enough first party games to keep a dedicated console library interesting (look at Wii U). So why not just do what Sega did and go third party? Hell, the only reason I purchased a Switch at launch was because I was hoping for a new F-Zero game and so far I have been left very disappointed. Did you know it has been 15 years since the last true F-Zero game? Yes they were successful with the 3DS and should have maybe done a dedicated handheld successor. But for consoles, they are always behind Sony/Microsoft and I wonder if they would have more resources to produce more games as a third party without having dedicated console hardware to manage?

Notsureifserious.gif. Ok I'll bite. Firstly Nintendo, has stated that if they leave the hardware market, it'll be the end of Nintendo as an entertainment company, as gaming alone doesn't alway provide new forms of entertainment. secondly, more and more people are becoming portable gamers via mobile phones, Vita or Switch. Lastly Nintendo are raking money with the Switch. Why the hell would Nintendo go 3rd party if they're making money on hardware?? Lastly having more resources doesn't equate to producing more games. Look at how Sega, SNK and Hudsonsoft did after exiting the hardware business, they're all struggling. Sure Nintendo could maybe be an EA or SE but then they wouldn't provide new ways to game that seem to hit it with kids, teens and adults.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Is this even relevant to the discussion about the firmware hack?

From what I understand the hackers did get the keys, but are legally bound to not release it unless they want to get into some serious legal repercussions...
Anyone having any crashing issues? The stick of truth crashed on me today, that was the first time I have seen a switch crash.
I've had a crash issue with Warframe a couple of days ago, but that could be a serverside thing and nothing to do with the firmware.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

What are you talking about?

Have you seen Nintendo's financials recently?

Have you seen their unit sales?

Go 3rd party, after 129 years of Business and 40 years of making home gaming systems?

I know this isn't the right thread but you really didn't think your post through very well.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Ok, so just to be clear. I know Scires and his group defeated the 6.2 update. Has he now shared this with all other hackers? Or is he still keeping his cards close to his chest like he was last week?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so just to be clear. I know Scires and his group defeated the 6.2 update. Has he now shared this with all other hackers? Or is he still keeping his cards close to his chest like he was last week?

It's public and burned, exploit revealed and shared. They decided to release it and the exploit, it's a big loss but it's also not really applicable to units that aren't also vulnerable to fg.

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
The real kicker to all of this is that the TSEC implementation is fine, so Nintendo did that correctly, but the vulnerability to the SMMU was not documented and is in fact counter to what is supposed to happen, so nVidia lied or never tested it and just said something to be true but wasn't. That means Nintendo built a secure boot around a flawed system under false pretense of its security. At some point, something in this relationship is going to give and nVidia's not going to be in a good place
I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now...

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
Are you practicing for some kind of comedic bit

Ritoo

Jun 5, 2018
So now that exploit was released all other "Homebrew "teams ,let's say the ones more focused on allow backup games on the system aka piracy can "steal " the method and release like their own,and sell pro hardware to pirate games,it's sad that some people on the Homebrew scene,hate Nintendo and the updates to protect their stuff, they just homebrew on the system ,but they move world's to have the latest update hacked ,because they need it to play the latest games...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
So give it to me in simple terms: Am I gonna see hackers online again now?

Hacking was never an issue online to begin with

Most hackers who went online probably got banned within a week.

Most people who have hacked Switch don't go online at all. For example I have 2 Switches, 1 hacked for offline stuff, and 1 legit for online.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
So give it to me in simple terms: Am I gonna see hackers online again now?

There will always be a handful, but Nintendo are pretty good at stomping on them so don't let it worry you. Also remember that Nintendo have a zero tolerance policy towards hacked Switches and they use various methods to determine if a Switched has been hacked - once detected such Switches are then banned permanently from using any of Nintendo's online services.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

No. Being a platform owner offers you stability and absolute freedom to develop as you have more revenue streams outside of the games you make. So those resources you speak of, dry up the second you bin off hardware which is successful hardware. As soon as you go third party, you are basically at the whim of platform holders, plus have the spectre of only being as good as your last game hanging over you. And, honestly, I don't think Sega are the shining example of how wonderful things can go when you leave the platform holder game.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that lasted all of a couple weeks. Atmosphere, ReiNX and SX OS are all fixed for 6.2 now.