• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The fixed the Nvidia SoC flaw?
Less "fixed" and more "thoroughly mitigated". It's still there, they just changed the boot process of the OS to make it incredibly hard to boot a modded version of it.

If you just want to run Linux or some other non-Horizon OS you can probably still do that.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically like fixing a leak by plugging a different hole, interesting.
Following that analogy, it's more like there was two holes. The first one (bootloader) would have a hole itself (the second holehole)whe would flow to give access to the firmware. The first hole is still wide open, but the second one hasn't just been plugged, they replaced the whole damn wall :P

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so if they truly patched this issue and the pirates are no longer able to play games that require firmware version 6.2 or higher, will they now have to patch the new games individually to make them run on earlier versions?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to any legitimate users of homebrew stuff, but I'm glad to see them shutting down piracy on it.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Following that analogy, it's more like there was two holes. The first one (bootloader) would have a hole itself (the second holehole)whe would flow to give access to the firmware. The first hole is still wide open, but the second one hasn't just been plugged, they replaced the whole damn wall :P
Interesting. I'm a Computer Science major, hence my curiosity. Either way, impressive work on Nintendo's part.

Jan 9, 2018
Great news, but I haven't seen anyone answer the question about hackers in online games? Are they still going to around or will it be difficult for them now?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so if they truly patched this issue and the pirates are no longer able to play games that require firmware version 6.2 or higher, will they now have to patch the new games individually to make them run on earlier versions?
No 6.2 games as of yet, even Pokémon only requires 5.1.
Bypassing firmware requirements is really easy right now. They might have similarly smart solution prepared to prevent that in 6.2 games, however.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to any legitimate users of homebrew stuff, but I'm glad to see them shutting down piracy on it.
same. it would be sad to see the homebrew scene hit a speed bump with this new firmware, but it's best (IMO) to have some way of stopping piracy in the system. just like how vita was recently and after being pretty much dead got hacked wide open, it's better if that happens to switch after a few years, for people to use it as a legacy hardware for homebrew and emulators.

No 6.2 games as of yet, even Pokémon only requires 5.1.
Bypassing firmware requirements is really easy right now. They might have similarly smart solution prepared to prevent that in 6.2 games, however.
i meant when the games that require 6.2 or 7 eventually come out.
i guess they have to work on that as well, because if not this won't stop piracy in any meaningful way. it's not like pirates are dying to update to newer versions for "stability", if they can keep playing games on older versions.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
will they now have to patch the new games individually to make them run on earlier versions?
probably yeah. every new title will definitely force 6.2

smash uses 5.0 key generation and there's a preload version going around so it makes me curious whether nintendo will actually switch it to 6.2 for the actual final release. i doubt it but if they really did it would kill chances of pirates getting their hands on the game.

Oct 26, 2017
Very interesting stuff.
I'd be all over a video or text going over all the findings regarding this, what can be figured out about the inner workings and such.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
probably yeah. every new title will definitely force 6.2

smash uses 5.0 key generation and there's a preload version going around so it makes me curious whether nintendo will actually switch it to 6.2 for the actual final release. i doubt it but if they really did it would kill chances of pirates getting their hands on the game.
preload means it's already is on people's systems and they'll be able to run it once december 7th gets here, and physical carts are probably already pressed since a while ago. and it's not like they can force an update, whataver version is on the cart and on people's systems will be playable day 1 on 6.1.
so at least the launch version of smash will be pirate-able.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Maybe now that Nintendo fixed their focus on hacking, I hope that they can turn and shift resources towards OS features and online.

But really, great news for them. It's really
impressive.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Impressive patch, will see how long it lasts. This will stop newer games that require FW6.2 and higher from being pirated going forward at least, well for now (until they find a way around it)

At least anyone wanting Homebrew right now can stick on 6.1 or lower, as the state of emulation on Switch is already great.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
On one side, I'm glad Nintendo found a way to screw piracy and cheaters. On the other hand, it is sad that homebrew will stall for a while until a new flaw is found.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Wish i knew before i updated a few days ago. Oh well i was always to lazy to do it anyways.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Nice, well done. But please for the love of all that is good nintendo add cloud saves to games like Splatoon2...

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This eventually being defeated or not isn't really the point. It's more an underscore on how damn good the infosec guys Nintendo has hired are.

Reminder: the kernel and security visor are still 100% bug/exploit free.

Defeating TSEC security now also means it won't be defeated on Mariko as this will absolutely require a burned major exploit. If TSEC can be defeated. We're right now back to using PegaSwitch exploits of all things.

When you remove the exploit on hardware, the secure kernel suddenly becomes a pain in the ass. Doesn't it?

Oct 27, 2017
TSEC doesn't just get keys, it's also continually validating the integrity of the RAM - Emunand users are toast too.

Also burns a fuse upon updating.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Good news, hopefully this stops hackers in online games and stops piracy from being so rampant that it hurts third party software support.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine for me, my Switch is on 6.1 and I'm happy to stay there with Retroarch as I have my main Switch for Switch games. Sucks for those that can't buy two devices though.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TSEC doesn't just get keys, it's also continually validating the integrity of the RAM - Emunand users are toast too.

Also burns a fuse upon updating.

So for full clarification, this means that someone can't just update their SysNAND and be OK with that with their EmuNAND still on 6.1? Because the 6.2 checks and blown fuse will stop the 6.1 NAND from booting?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So for full clarification, this means that someone can't just update their SysNAND and be OK with that with their EmuNAND still on 6.1? Because the 6.2 checks and blown fuse will stop the 6.1 NAND from booting?

You could do this but with a major caveat:

Their sleep mode would be broken doing this, as warmboot checks fuses and will crash every time you sleep.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Pretty cool to see.
I know a lot of people want the Switch to be an emulation machine but I think it's better to have to wait on that.
Since you know people use it to pirate games instead of giving N the money they deserve.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I still have my firmware at pre Kirby version. Would like to buy games on the eshop (octopath and torna) but I've waited long enough as it is for all encompassing cfw.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
I could be very mistaken but as far as I understand they basically made it so that the boot chain makes use of a security coprocessor (TSEC) that previously dealt only with other crypto stuff, problem is it's, well, a security coprocessor so hijacking it and grabbing its new secret key isn't going to be easy at all. It, among tons of other validity checks, refuses to do its thing if it notices anything unusual in memory aka patched binaries you'd need to even have booted with the hardware exploit earlier in the chain to begin with. A tough one for sure.
There should be no performance impact though.
If that's an accurate summary then I have to say I'm impressed by the software engineering on Nintendo's part.

Nice!

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of bums me out since I was loving the idea of transforming my old switch into something malleable when the inevitable upgrade comes

That said i hardly ever have time to do enthusiast work on a system anymore let alone go back and play old games

Still would be fun to always have the option so I hope hackers find a way back in for the future

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain why everyone is so hyped for Nintendo to cover this exploit? I don't really play online, was cheating or piracy that rampant an issue? It seems to me like this will just kill the homebrew scene.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Can someone explain why everyone is so hyped for Nintendo to cover this exploit? I don't really play online, was cheating or piracy that rampant an issue? It seems to me like this will just kill the homebrew scene.
Because most people don't care about the homebrew scene, even if they say they do. 99% of users use the exploits for piracy. And that's bad for everyone (well, except for pirates).

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It hasn't been rampant just very easy for those who want too. People who take their hacked switches online have been getting regularly banned so cheating has only been a small issue, Nintendo cares a lot more about stopping piracy.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
piracy was getting too big. of course the big nintendo games will still sell bucket loads, but smaller third party releases or indie games could use every single copy they can sell, having a system blown wide open and piracy be so easy is not good news for them.
i don't care about homebrew/emulation myself, but i see why some people are interested in that, since switch is so convinent for playing games both handheld and on tv and obviously it'll be a great device to play older games on, but if enabling that comes at the cost of enabling piracy (for a different audience, i mean) then it's best that it gets shut down, at least until much later in the system's life.

Last edited:

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now we can only hope that Gamefreak steps up their game, and Gen 8 has good anti-cheat methods, then we can finally have a cheat free competitive pokemon scene.