• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I was watching the trailer of Fortnite running on an iPhone X and reading people comment that it was much more capable of running Fortnite due to its higher specs. Yes it's a £1,000 device whereas the Switch is only £280.

I love my Switch and have been blown away by how great portable gaming can be. I've yet to see any mobile games that look better than Zelda, Mario, etc, is Fortnite that far ahead of other mobile games graphically?

Are there any other mobile games that have graphics significantly better than the top Switch games?

I know graphical style often makes it hard to judge and also that the Switch "only" has to pump out 720P visuals.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
graphics =/= good game

Also, the benefit of playing on a Switch over a cell phone: my gameplay doesn't get interrupted/paused when I get a phone call.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It's true the iPhone X specs blow the Switch out of the water but at the end of the day what it matters the most for graphics is budget. Mobile Fortunite/PUBG so far are outliers on their systems.

OP
OP
harz-marz

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
graphics =/= good game

Also, the benefit of playing on a Switch over a cell phone: my gameplay doesn't get interrupted/paused when I get a phone call.

Of course they don't make a good game. But my question was purely graphics related - there are so many more benefits to playing on a dedicated handheld such as the lack of interuptions as you've stated, as well as physical controls etc

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Gear Club on iPhone X can go up to 60fps while it's 30fps on switch last I heard.
There's some top tier graphics on mobile.

Shadowgun Legends (up to 60fps with a lot of drops when there's a huge fight on iPhone X)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWIvq9s4d6E
nexus2cee_maxresdefault-728x410.jpg

YuDgVyL8EwGCDFdyQQ3npwysmAfurtuEAEzeenJ_55nYmIENGFxGLZ_CGKOZhbSl9e7y=h310

Modern Combat Versus (consistent 30fps)

643x0w.jpg

Asphalt 9 (solid 30fps)

asphalt-9-mod-apk.jpg

28534746_2353851827965733_1639527659_n.jpg

28450299_2353851744632408_1432268903_n.jpg

Asphalt-9-Legends-Android.jpg

Black Desert
28512277_2360826313934951_1256314362_n.jpg

black-desert-1.jpeg

blackdesert.jpeg

and a lot of the console ports.
Grid Autosport (i believe they even patched in 60fps recently)
grid-autosport-for-iphone-and-ipad-now-available-for-download-518719-2.jpg

grid-autosport-7.jpg

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
graphics =/= good game

That's not the point of the thread. Maybe read OP next time.
===============

I don't play Mobile games myself, but I am curious to see some comparisons if anyone has 'em. Most mobile games I am interested in tend to be basic and menu oriented, Girls Frontline, F/GO, Kancolle.

Maybe Mobius Final Fantasy?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Added to Op

I guess the graphics may look quite simple and clean but I'm impressed by the size of the map and the fact that there are 100 players

Thanks!

Yeah that doesn't look bad, although there's a good number of Switch games that look better imo. At least it gives a decent benchmark for how decent it'll look/run on the Switch in the future.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I don't think Fortnite in that trailer looks all that great. I guess being open world (or rather, large area) with many players makes it pretty impressive but the rendering pipeline leaves a lot to be desired, it looks flat and everything has had a major downgrade from the (easy on the specs) PC version. Splatoon looks better to me but again it's a smaller scope game. Still, given games like that I don't think it blows the Switch out of the water despite the crazy hardware.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Here is the mobile version of PUBG on iPhone X. I wouldn't say it's 'better' than Switch games. But it's impressive for a mobile game based on the PC game.

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda and mario look great, but IQ and framerate on a lot of high end mobile games crush the IQ and/or framerate of the best looking switch games.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gear Club on iPhone X can go up to 60fps while it's 30fps on switch last I heard.

Shadowgun Legends (up to 60fps with a lot of drops when there's a huge fight on iPhone X)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWIvq9s4d6E
nexus2cee_maxresdefault-728x410.jpg

YuDgVyL8EwGCDFdyQQ3npwysmAfurtuEAEzeenJ_55nYmIENGFxGLZ_CGKOZhbSl9e7y=h310

Modern Combat Versus (consistent 30fps)

643x0w.jpg

Asphalt 9 (solid 30fps)

asphalt-9-mod-apk.jpg

28534746_2353851827965733_1639527659_n.jpg

28450299_2353851744632408_1432268903_n.jpg

Asphalt-9-Legends-Android.jpg

Black Desert
28512277_2360826313934951_1256314362_n.jpg

black-desert-1.jpeg

blackdesert.jpeg

grid-autosport-7.jpg

I dont think gear club was properly optimized on switch to get a real comparison

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
While impressive, don't forget the price difference. Switch is $300 while the iPhone X $1000.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen anything in this thread, or on my iPhone that look better than a good-looking Switch game.

Also i gotta hand it to MattAces for linking to Shadowgun and MCVS. The latter uses a PBR pipeline, showing better than X360 visuals.
One handheld game on iOS/Android did move to Switch atleast: Radiation Island:

Oh damn, didn't know Digitalfoundry did this comparison. Thanks
No problem. Keep in mind they aren't running Ultra settings though, so not clear how that looks like, but i reckon its still some ways off the console versions.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
People don't understand. It does not matter that the A11 in Iphone X is cutting edge and outperforms Switch, it's not in a magical node that eleminates heat, at least not in such a small case and with barely any passive cooling, let alone active cooling.

T
H
E
R
M
A
L

This,

iphonex-1512979536kg48n.png

As much as it is an amazing piece of engineering, cannot run games like Switch because..

2017-03-06-image-3.jpg

It's not even in the same league for heat dissipation and output.

Benchmarks will run faster on phones, while real gaming performances will remain king on Switch for a while.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas

grid-autosport-7.jpg
woah Grid is on iPhone? ... that looks 10x's better than gear.club... gear.club is fun but that looks legit how does it play? (in comparison to other racing games)

I think a lot of phone games can push the limits graphically but man does my battery drain....

15 minutes of FFXV pocket edition is like 40% battery drain... and that game isn't even impressive looking.

Oct 25, 2017
Member warned: Off topic platform criticisms.
playing games on an iphone is annoying af.

playing games on a switch is pleasant af.

case closed?

case closed, and i needn't even touch on graphics ;)

Edit: sorry guys, thought i was being innocently funny!

apologies for thread-shitting :/

#sadcharles

Mod edit: Please don't use the edit function to remove context from a warning/ban.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece

case closed?

Might wanna edit that, seems needlessly confrontational, off topic and like you'll get warned for it since your spoiler continues the same crap instead of say just kidding or something.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
woah Grid is on iPhone? ... that looks 10x's better than gear.club... gear.club is fun but that looks legit how does it play? (in comparison to other racing games)
Haven't tried it myself, but they have a bunch of control scheme with controller support I believe.
Only played Asphalt 9 recently, pretty good game.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

case closed?

I love how people come into threads and post shit that don't even have to do anything with the topic.

op I recommend you check civilization 6 for mobile

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Haven't tried it myself, but they have a bunch of control scheme with controller support I believe.
Only played Asphalt 9 recently, pretty good game.

I have asphalt 8 or whatever and its enjoyable enough.. (I liked the 3DS version well enough)... there's a serious lack of racing games on Nintendo platforms... Most wanted U was fantastic... but as far as sims go there only gear.club... (which I bought on sale and with my Nintendo coins discounting the price.) It's fun... but it's no GT. You'd think more companies would step up and release a solid racing sim on switch there's practically no competition...

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
What is the battery life like while playing these caliber of games?
It depends on the game. Most of the released game are pretty optimized and you can really get a lot of hours out of it, at least on my X. There won't be any overheat issue.
But stuff like Shadowgun Legends, which is in closed beta (testflight), high setting with 60fps drains the battery quite fast, and the phone heats up like crazy.