• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Unless PS4 can make up almost 2.5 million units in deficit with rest of the world sales, it's also highly likely that Switch is the best selling console not just in these three countries, but worldwide for 2018.

I think highly likely is a bit too much. PS4 sold around 18 million according to Sony's latest PR (91.6M - 73.6 M). If I'm not mistaken, Switch would need more than 10M during their FY Q3 to win the natural year. It's definitely possible but not guaranteed by any means. Whichever wins, it's going to be a close call.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting Nintendo PR just ahead of the official NPD release to confirm this but yeah, looks pretty good.

I'm curious to see if they do give us CY 2018 numbers.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
line ups are typically underwhelming until they're not

Uh, NSW 2017 line-up was way better than 2018, despite having Smash in 2018.

Acting like Mario Tennis Aces, Octopath Traveler and Monster Hunter Gen Ultimate didn't exist, i see.

Thinking that Octopath, Mario Tennis or a remastered are going to move consoles like a brand Pokémon or Smash, i see.

Octopath in particular was the best selling game in US for the month of July. (and one of the best selling entry for that month if i remember correctly)

June 2018 was empty, of course is going to be the best seller, come on.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am glad they are doing well, but often desperate Nintendo is best Nintendo.

We need Nintendo hungry, dammit.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Congrats to Nintendo, the switch seems to be getting into its groove. I didn't think they would get anywhere near this point this year. They have surpassed my expectations saleswise. I dont mind being wrong though

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved!

Crazy to think what it's going to sell next year when you combine PS4/XB1 slowing down even more and Switch potentially getting a revision / price drop aswell as the likes of Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon software wise.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Acting like Mario Tennis Aces, Octopath Traveler and Monster Hunter Gen Ultimate didn't exist, i see.

They didn't move units like Pokemon and Smash did that's for sure.

2a2f7fd600.png

vs most of the year

adb68f6c00.png

I'll give you that Mario Aces helped a good amount in a dry time period.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't until pokemon that a system seller came out in 2018 than it had two back to back ones. So I'd be surprised if the larger market didn't agree but both of those are two huge selling games.
The line-up was underwhelming until Pokémon and Smash.
The console was selling at a steady clip through the year. Smash and Pokemon obviously boosted sales, no one is saying they didn't. But the console maintained sales through the year, which it would not have done if a) the system itself was not appealing (which it is), and b) the lineup for it was not appealing (self evident that it is, given the console did in fact keep selling).
I think highly likely is a bit too much. PS4 sold around 18 million according to Sony's latest PR (91.6M - 73.6 M). If I'm not mistaken, Switch would need more than 10M during their FY Q3 to win the natural year. It's definitely possible but not guaranteed by any means. Whichever wins, it's going to be a close call.
I believe as per the latest analyses, the Switch did hit a 10 million+ quarter in Q4.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the other thread, someone had a chart showing 2017 vs 2018. Huge negative percentage in April for switch, and in most of September/October. Wasn't until Pokemon in November and Smash in December that everything picked up.
Crazy, I knew things would definitely pick up but I wouldn't have guessed huge negative percentages for some of the months.

Holy shit at combined in the US in December. Maybe we will see PS5 this fall.
Nope we will see PS5 in 2020.

The console was selling at a steady clip through the year. Smash and Pokemon obviously boosted sales, no one is saying they didn't. But the console maintained sales through the year, which it would not have done if a) the system itself was not appealing (which it is), and b) the lineup for it was not appealing (self evident that it is, given the console did in fact keep selling).

I believe as per the latest analyses, the Switch did hit a 10 million+ quarter in Q4.
That doesn't counteract what I said at all. It had a underwhelming year for games releases until Pokemon and Smash. The system would still sell because of other games that were already out like botw and mario plus in addition to smash coming out in december but again that doesn't change my point.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It's a fun headline for Nintendo fans, but the PS4/XBO gen is entering year 5, and the Switch is a $300 portable. I don't find it an apples to apples comparison. In 2020 is it going to be fair game to release align sales stats between Switch and the $500 supply constrained power boxes?

Fair play would be comparing to 3DS, Vita, and NDS. Even Surface Go is a more direct competitor than a console box. How is Surface Go doing BTW?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
"How could they sell so much with that underwhelming lineup"
Something to consider regarding the numbers, lineup was only underwhelming for Wii U owners. And most likely the vast majority of new buyers never had a Wii U.

Nintendo published titles.

Bayonetta 2
Kirby
Labo TC 1-3
Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
S Strikers
Mario Tennis
Octopath Traveller
Captain Toad
Torna
Super Mario Party
Pokemon
Smash

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Oh boy some people havent realized that NPD numbers are on the wild already and they are way low than a lot of users expected, this gonna be fun lol

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Thinking that Octopath, Mario Tennis or a remastered are going to move consoles like a brand Pokémon or Smash, i see.

You said the lineup was underwhelming until Pokémon, but you can't pretend titles like Pokémon or Smash every month.

Considering the caliber of these titles, Tropical Freeze, Mario Tennis and Octopath sold really well, exceeding expectations.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very nice result for Switch. Interested in seeing what Nintendo has in store for this year with a hardware revision looming

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is Switch outselling PS4 and Xbox One combined in December big deal? PS4 outsold Switch and Xbox One combined in April and i think September, maybe even more months.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"How could they sell so much with that underwhelming lineup"
Something to consider regarding the numbers, lineup was only underwhelming for Wii U owners. And most likely the vast majority of new buyers never had a Wii U.

Nintendo published titles.

Bayonetta 2
Kirby
Labo TC 1-3
Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
S Strikers
Mario Tennis
Octopath Traveller
Captain Toad
Torna
Super Mario Party
Pokemon
Smash
I stand by what I said that's a pretty underwhelming list of games until Pokemon in november.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Crazy, I knew things would definitely pick up but I wouldn't have guessed huge negative percentages for some of the months.

Nope we will see PS5 in 2020.

Oh yea, early 2018 was bad, and Mario aces helped them out in Summer. Honestly they needed a good November and December. 2019 is not going to be fun for Nintendo I can tell you that. It might be worse than early 2018.

Too many huge games that already have big tracking right now for first couple months are going to drown out Yoshi, Mario Deluxe, and really Animal crossing is going to be their savior for spring. And even that I don;t think is going to be as big as Pokemon.

Their new mainline Pokemon game from what i understand is their late fall game of 2019?

Unless it's much farther along.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yea, early 2018 was bad, and Mario aces helped them out in Summer. Honestly they needed a good November and December. 2019 is not going to be fun for Nintendo I can tell you that. It might be worse than early 2018.

Too many huge games that already have big tracking right now for first couple months are going to drown out Yoshi, Mario Deluxe, and really Animal crossing is going to be their savior for spring. And even that I don;t think is going to be as big as Pokemon.

Their new mainline Pokemon game from what i understand is their late fall game of 2019?

To be clear, you expect Switch to perform worse in 2019 than 2018?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy some people havent realized that NPD numbers are on the wild already and they are way low than a lot of users expected, this gonna be fun lol

I mean the numbers have been known and outed for hours and hours now, and the only 2 warnings/bans that I saw since were for 'LOL Switch users meltdown incoming yay Lmao!' or words to that effect, and they were in the immediate aftermath no less.

So nope basically.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well I think Metroid will be the late 2019 game along with pokemon just like they did with pokemon and smash.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Time to honor France's loyalty by going back to Kalos in Pokemon 2019's post-game imo.

Oct 25, 2017
México
It's a fun headline for Nintendo fans, but the PS4/XBO gen is entering year 5, and the Switch is a $300 portable. I don't find it an apples to apples comparison. In 2020 is it going to be fair game to release align sales stats between Switch and the $500 supply constrained power boxes?

Fair play would be comparing to 3DS, Vita, and NDS. Even Surface Go is a more direct competitor than a console box. How is Surface Go doing BTW?
39GZcWi.gif

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
To be clear, you expect Switch to perform worse in 2019 than 2018?

YES. Smash gives them a buffer for up to march, but there isn't any big heavy hitters right now. Deluxe is selling but I don't know to what extent, all I've seen is what it's done compared to Wii U?

There's so many big games out in the first 3 months of this year. Bigger than last year. So a Direct is needed more than ever.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Downplays switch sales in a switch sales thread
Downplays indies on switch in a indies on switch thread

I really admire your dedication.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I mean the numbers have been known and outed for hours and hours now, and the only 2 warnings/bans that I saw since were for 'LOL Switch users meltdown incoming yay Lmao!' or words to that effect, and they were in the immediate aftermath no less.

So nope basically.

We'll see when the real NPD thread comes up.
But based on this thread you can see a LOT of people are clueless about numbers yet.
And yes it's gonna be wild ride and you know it!