• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So as of right now, it seems like the Switch ended up being the bestselling console of 2018 in three of the five largest gaming markets worldwide.

USA:

FRANCE:
The Nintendo Switch was the most sold console in France in 2018 and, to the satisfaction of the company, "has become a desired object by consumers."
Le Figaro

JAPAN:
The Switch sold-through to customers 3,534,165 units in Japan last year, while PS4 sold 1,726,031 units (combining the Pro and basic models), which means that Nintendo's console sold twice as many units as its rival by Sony.
(Media Create, via Twinfinite)

We already know that the PS4 sold more than the Switch in the UK, but the difference there is around ~300,000 units for the year. Unless PS4 can make up almost 2 million units in deficit with rest of the world sales, it's also highly likely that Switch is the best selling console not just in these three countries, but worldwide for 2018.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The console is not for me but that's an amazing achievement from switch, many congrats to Nintendo, what a comeback from the WiiU disaster that little console is.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Combined! :-O Proven again and again that Nintendo dominates in the holidays!

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit, combined!??? Can we conclude that Switch is actually performing better than Wii during it's golden era? Because this is insaneeee! And with upcoming hits like a new Animal Crossing and new Pokémon gen, this craze has no way to stop. I just wish there was a Nintendo Direct to proper the hype.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder about Countries who are generally more price conscious such as Spain or Italy, it's probably similar to the UK I would guess but you never know.
Great results nonetheless

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo when they developed the Switch:

fnOnAJV.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The only down-side is that Nintendo likely won't be able to hit that 20 million units sold goal going by what Benji said. Otherwise, good shit, Nintendo.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
France being Europe's Nintendoland makes me happy, bring me more Japanese weird games!
Checked Le Figaro and they said Mario Kart 8 is the 3rd best selling game of the year.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Where does that NPD data come from? Or rather, how does Direct-Feed Games have the info and seem to be the only one sharing this? Is this an NPD leak? Do other outlets have this information?

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
No price cut in sight then, sucks for me, but good for BigN!
Switch will definitely be the new King in 2019 if it wasn't already in 2018 (I doubt that though, need receipts!)

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
- It's units not revenue
- the NPD numbers leaked, you can check the NPD predictions thread too

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish ps5 is a hybrid. I'd game more if it were.
I don't that would ruin what i want out of a hd console., something like the switch is good but not the ps5 or next xbox.
I remember when people laughed that the Switch would outsell the PS4 in 2019.

Units. The title and OP could not be more clearer.
It's surprising that it outsold it in 2018, I would have never expected with such an underwhelming lineup for most of the year.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
We need the "this thing is DOA" wall of shame to be posted again, LOL.

What an achievement after the WiiU, my God.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Where are you getting the 4 million figure from? The biggest diffrence is in Japan where it's still less than 2 million, US difference is around 300k, France gap is not known but it won't be big # wise.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No suprise with the next XBox and PS5 right around the corner.
By 2020 no one will buy the damn thing anymore!

/s
Ports will definitely become even harder then. It will be interesting to see how publishers will want to participate in the money that is to make off this userbase that haven't yet done anything or barely for the platform.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Unless PS4 can make up almost 4 million units in deficit with rest of the world sales,,,,"

How come 4 million?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Nintendo sells when they get in the media in a positive way.
My family has three, and we're getting another when my youngest daughter turns four in the summer. We'll all have one each then :)