• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Where do you get this 4 million difference? US and France are extremely close. Nothing like the difference in Japan.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely deserved. Love my switch, and will be upgrading to a pro model if that actually is released. My very first console was the N64, and I having never owned a GC, barely used the Wii, skipped the Wii U, it feels like I've come back home with the Switch. Congrats Nintendo.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
We already know sell trough for PS4 in 2018 globally was 18 million. Nintendo hasn't given us sell trough numbers in a while but even if we talk about shipped units they need 10 million shipment for holiday quarter just to match PS4 sell trough (as Switch shipments for this year were around 8 million as end of september).

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where are you getting the 4 million figure from? The biggest diffrence is in Japan where it's still less than 2 million, US difference is around 300k, France gap is not known but it won't be big # wise.
US difference should be more than 300k when it outsold both Xbox and PS4.
Edit: oh, for the whole year you meant I think. Sorry

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Nintendo is right below Wii levels. Next year should put it well above that, the way things are looking. This is better than anyone could have imagined.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I mean they destroyed the competition in December even without a price drop.

December US NPD
Switch 1.77m
XB1 920k
PS4 797k

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved. I don't ever want a stationary console again. Traditional consoles are outdated and archaic. The Switch has been a literal gamechanger.

Now if goddamn third parties would treat it as the revelation that it is.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Benji, praise him, who got a ton of shit from Toxic twitter console warriors and a few.here was right about pretty much everything except the actual Switch sold being lower but this was.offset by PS4 and X1 being lower as well. Switch being over X1 and PS4 combined was the original insight we had in December

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Nintendo but enjoy your reign for now, House of Mario!

I've been developing a console too and it will sell like crazy! Muhahahahaahaahahaha!

Your days are numbered, Nintendo Switch!
Hey plumber boy
I7I9XY.gif

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only part thats crazy to me is the combined part. And its still $300. Switch must be hella desirable with no ether port.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I don't know why people are surprised about December NPD.

Nintendo had Smash, and afaik Smash is the fastest selling Nintendo Switch game, PS4 and Xbox One had 0 high profile games in December to push sales.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Amazing news - I love that there is a real market for this kind of system as it fits into my life so well.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Not very surprising, but I believe this could be the first time since 2010 (Wii) that a Nintendo home console sold the most in the industry. Since 2012 (3DS) if we include handhelds. Of course, assuming it did indeed outsell the PS4.
I might be wrong, but I'm lazy and in school right now to look up data.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, combined!??? Can we conclude that Switch is actually performing better than Wii during it's golden era? Because this is insaneeee! And with upcoming hits like a new Animal Crossing and new Pokémon gen, this craze has no way to stop. I just wish there was a Nintendo Direct to proper the hype.
"Specifically, the group found that console sales jumped 4% compared to last December, with the Nintendo Wii unsurprisingly leading the way with 3.81 million units moved (up from 2.15 million the previous year)."

https://www.engadget.com/2010/01/15/npd-wii-leads-video-game-industry-to-biggest-sales-month-ever/

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
TIL that a lot of people don't follow the NPD prediction threads (which is the source of this US information). Interesting.

Anyhow, its a great year for Switch and with such a big lead in these major markets it may well have taken the WW crown for the year. I guess we'll find out with the financials at the end of the month.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If Nintendo managed to sell more than 4M for December NPD....
What is a good seasoning to go with a hat?

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
It's just a fad. Soccer moms and grandmas are buying them to play Mario Kart and then they'll collect dust.
And then buying Mario Odyssey, and then Breath of the Wild, and then Smash, and then *insert indie game that has done ridiculously well*, and then Animal Crossing.

Checkmate Nintendo. It will never last.

But really. Congratulations for the Switch, it earns every ounce of success it gets

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
It wasn't until pokemon that a system seller came out in 2018 than it had two back to back ones. So I'd be surprised if the larger market didn't agree but both of those are two huge selling games.

In the other thread, someone had a chart showing 2017 vs 2018. Huge negative percentage in April for switch, and in most of September/October. Wasn't until Pokemon in November and Smash in December that everything picked up.