• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly expected it to be out by now. What is taking so long? Compare that to the Wii which had NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, Turbografx and so on. I'm just wondering.

What the hell is taking so long?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Well doing their own stuff is no problem, but working out these ancient licenses with the elder gods is a complicated process.

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
To be honest, I'm convinced it's due to some kind of bizarre "loyalty" to N3DS owners. "SNES games, only on N3DS".

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, it's driving me crazy... there's no legitimate reason for them not to offer a bigger suite of classic games by now.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Have they ever said they are making one?

If not then the argument that there is no valid excuse for it to be out yet, is pretty moot.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
They've never said they'll make it, and they don't owe it to anyone. It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If Themes and Snes games are not part of the Switch Lite launch in September - they probably wont happen this year.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Nintendo is drip feeding their library akin to Disney tactics. It allows them to keep the Switch printing money for a long time. Thats just business I guess... I am patiently waiting as well...

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
They'll wait for NSO subs to plateau and then they'll drop them to bring more people in. It's really not hard to understand how businesses operate, folks.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
It's always been a marketing and resource thing. I believe many think we'll get the games starting with the 1-year anniversary of NSO in September to retain annual subscribers.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, considering that Nintendo have consolidated Wii U and 3DS developers under one system - it's baffling how barren the Switch is in comparison.
Just little things like the design of the eshop being too simplistic and lacking good filtering. The 3DS had tonnes of fun apps like the Badge Arcade, themes and folders!

Why is the Switch so lacking in these fun little extras when they should have the strength of two times the resources behind it?!

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
This and the lack of Netflix app too. Wii U had Netflix since day one and SNES games within the first year. Switch is 2 + year old an we still have none. This sucks

SuperJohnny

Alt account
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I honestly expected it to be out by now. What is taking so long? Compare that to the Wii which had NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, Turbografx and so on. I'm just wondering.

What the hell is taking so long?
Nintendo will release SNES games on Switch in September (Exactly one year after NSO's launch) so people have a real reason to renew the subscription.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nintendo don't care

Might as well give up on the Switch being the ultimate Nintendo machine, get a SNES Mini and hack it, or a Retro Pi 4 at this point

Do what Nintendon't

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't want an app, nor do I want these to be tied to a subscription or have small monthly drops.

Let me buy them individually, give me folders so I can organize them. Open the floodgates.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want it to, but it's not like they ever promised them and went back on it or anything. Can't bring myself to get outraged when I still have those games pretty accessible through past VC releases/mini consoles/original hardware.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Don't need them included with Online service. I just want to buy them. With money.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of third-parties are into collections of their old games these days and others have realized just how much they can charge for their old games (Final Fantasy). Makes it harder and really leaves Nintendo with first party stuff, content that they feel like they can leverage in other ways, such as bolstering other services with added value (Switch Online). Drip feeding users with a slow stream of games means, at least in theory that people will play games they otherwise wouldn't. It's why you don't start the show with the show stopper, you milk everything else first.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
They want that sweet, sweet Mini money.

Part of me is concerned that they'd keep SNES games exclusive to a """""premium""""" version of the subscription.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Have they ever said they are making one?

If not then the argument that there is no valid excuse for it to be out yet, is pretty moot.
When the Switch first came out, they said it would have NES and SNES games. But then one day (before the Switch came out I think) they updated the website and removed the part about SNES games.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I think they are worried that providing free games that aren't decrepit NES software will take players time and therefore money away from new games. Would you buy an indie Metroidvania or play Super Metroid for free? That's their issue, I think. NES games are clunky and brutal, most players won't spend much time with them whereas everything from the SNES onwards is still highly playable and often superior to modern equivalents.

If they mirrored the lineup from the SNES Mini we are talking hundreds of hours of quality gameplay. We aren't talking about Urban Champion and Tennis.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
There's also no excuse for the palty offering of NES titles and the drip feeding of new ones, but here we are.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
They'll do it in 2 years and then be like oh, we didn't know anyone outside of Japan wanted this.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's annoying but I have learned to live with it. I hope that it's coming soon because there are a bunch of classic games that I want to play on my Switch. Pretty much everything from the SNES classic would be awesome portable.

In general, SNES games just hold up more than games from the generation before it and after it. I have never played Earthbound and I never beat Mario RPG and I want to so bad. I know I can play them on my SNES classic but it's so hard when there is superior hardware sitting right next to it.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
They're drip feeding it out, and many other publishers are content to sell their retro games in collections which are probably more lucrative than trying to sell individual games via virtual console anyway. Additionally they are still milking the classic mini consoles, so there's no much incentive to make them available digitally.

I'm not sure I care that much at this point. There's hundreds/thousands of great games out there that will likely never see a re-release on any system, and it doesn't seem like Nintendo has a real interest in building a comprehensive service for retro gaming, even for their own software.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The SNES games is such a red herring
What they need to improve is network performance and a friend list that actually means something

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I bet they're going to remake some of the bigger SNES titles like ALTTP and Super Metroid so they won't be offering a SNES app when they could make more of a profit.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Still mad that this is the only reasonable way I can play the Ruby/Sapphire Pokemon Pinball game right now lol

You too? LOL It's crazy thinking about what I have on it, all Donkey Kong Country Games, Mega Man Battle Network, Kirby SNES games, Mario RPG, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Golden Sun, etc. Imagine if all of those were on Switch? Goddamn.

It is so sad that the 3DS is still a better place to play classic Nintendo (and others) content.

We should be playing N64 and Wii/Gamecube games on Switch.

At least there is ACA, Zerodiv and M2.

What I wouldn't give for Rogue Squadron II on Switch.

Jan 29, 2018
it just seems weird that company that wants money refuses to make easy money

That suggests it isn't easy money, otherwise they'd probably do it.

I bet for every game like Super Mario World or LttP that did really well on Virtual Console, dozens of others weren't worth the effort.

Plus if we're talking about adding them to the subscription service the ROI there is a lot harder to calculate.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Well doing their own stuff is no problem, but working out these ancient licenses with the elder gods is a complicated process.
They had them for snes mini, wii, 3ds and wii u and now it's complicated?

I like that reasoning. We need something not to blame our overlords at Nintendo. God bless them.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Funny timing... I fired up my n3DS last night to get back into Xenoblade, and ended up playing a little Demon's Crest as well, which gave me the same thoughts about the lack of SNES content on the Switch.

I don't even care if they're part of NSO or not. I'd just like the option to have them on this console.