• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If I had to guess I'd say it's purely a business reason to spread out the content they are offering over time since it's tied to a subscription service they don't want people to cancel.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
it just seems weird that company that wants money refuses to make easy money

Like the other subscription services, the majority of users are going to be for online play. The nes giveaway is just them doing the absolute bare minimum because others include games in the services.

If SNES happens, it'll be near the time the first year sub renews are due. They probably won't actually make that much money from the Netflix style model people asked for, hence the low priority of it even compared to the Wii U virtual console. Monkey's paw wishes and all.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo games would probably be pirated a lot less if they actually made their classics available for sale or add them to their stupid subscription service.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I would have said that they don't have it due to the SNES Classic and them wanting you to purchase that but they stopped production on it so... I dunno what to say.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As great as their E3 show was, and it was, I was genuinely disappointed they didn't announce SNES there.

I don't want an app, nor do I want these to be tied to a subscription or have small monthly drops.

Let me buy them individually, give me folders so I can organize them. Open the floodgates.
I've 100% given up on that, even though that's my dream scenario.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly expected it to be out by now. What is taking so long? Compare that to the Wii which had NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, Turbografx and so on. I'm just wondering.

What the hell is taking so long?
Why do you expect it? Where's the PS1 app on ps4? Where's the og Xbox app on Xbox one? Why do you expect this from Nintendo but not the others?

Oct 25, 2017
Frustration is fine, but why do some people see this as such a mystery? Nintendo has created a model where its older library of games is tied to a subscription service. We know this. They don't have much incentive early on to flood the virtual platform with games unless a) subscriptions are expiring, b) they want to promote NSO and new SNES games for, say, the holidays, c) NES library has nothing else to offer.

Nintendo creates value with scarcity. The slower they introduce SNES and N64 games to NSO, the more impact each will have.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Why do you expect it? Where's the PS1 app on ps4? Where's the og Xbox app on Xbox one? Why do you expect this from Nintendo but not the others?
This is weird...
3ds, wii and wii u did it. The last 3 Nintendo consoles did it. Why is it strange to expect it? Heck, Nintendo even said it was possible to come to Switch?

Why do you want to compare to the competition especially Sony. They did it with psvita, ps2, psp et cetera and the got a lot of bad words not doing it for ps4.

Microsoft is doing it best. Upscaling, better performance, free. They are the best. Would be nice if Nintendo learns something from them ;)

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If this makes you feel better, Sony has been utter shit at managing their legacy library on PS4, and I certainly hope they do better with PS5. Now that it's out of the way, can we get back to no SNES being a terrible thing.

Patch13

Oct 27, 2017
New England
I honestly expected it to be out by now. What is taking so long? Compare that to the Wii which had NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, Turbografx and so on. I'm just wondering.

It was cool to have games on the Virtual Console for when you wanted them. But how many did you actually end up buying? I grabbed a few games on the Wii, a few fewer games on the WiiU, and, like, one Virtual Console game on the 3DS. Not that I objected to buying more at some point ... there was just no urgency to do so, and there were always new things to spend money on.

I suspect that this sort of attitude is fairly common, and that the Virtual Console wasn't making enough money to justify incurring the costs of QA and clearing licenses. By giving the games a rest, they're building up desire for them, making it more likely that people will gobble them up when they are available (or jump onto whatever subscription they're part of, or whatever).

So that's (maybe) their excuse. I'm sure they'll drop stuff when they feel like the time is right. In the meantime ... well, there's still a ton of new stuff to spend money on. Including a lot of "nostalgic feel but modern quality of life" games that I end up spending more time playing than the classic stuff, anyway :-)

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I can live with waiting as long as Nintendo is future proofing this so it can continue straight onto the Switch 2. I'll be pissed if Nintendo announces NSO is reverting to NES games a month with the Switch 2 and we have to start all over again.
Oh god... they're gonna do that aren't they?

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the NES and SNES Classic (and possibily N64 Classic) are the reason for why Nintendo isn't investing into retro stuff for Switch because they might feel they would compete against themselves.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is weird...
3ds, wii and wii u did it. The last 3 Nintendo consoles did it. Why is it strange to expect it? Heck, Nintendo even said it was possible to come to Switch?

Why do you want to compare to the competition especially Sony. They did it with psvita, ps2, psp et cetera and the got a lot of bad words not doing it for ps4.

Microsoft is doing it best. Upscaling, better performance, free. They are the best. Would be nice if Nintendo learns something from them ;)
So just because they did it on past consoles you expect it now? Nintendo promised nothing. Microsoft's bc is free, but very limited. They are doing a great job with it, I agree. But to expect snes games based on something they once offered is a bit naive.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
They won't even let me turn off those annoying onscreen button prompts so I have no interest in Switch as a retro platform.

Jan 29, 2018
I think the NES and SNES Classic (and possibily N64 Classic) are the reason for why Nintendo isn't investing into retro stuff for Switch because they might feel they would compete against themselves.

I'm not sure that's the reason there are no SNES games on Switch, but I do know that the SNES Classic completely satisfied my nostalgia and obliterated my interest in having those games on Switch. That device is great, I'm not going to get excited about playing SMW on yet another console.

If we were talking about GBA games however that'd be a different story.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Their online offers are honestly fucking pathetic, what's worse is that they have around 10 million active subscribers and that's all they have to offer? Their switch software is good but their online offers seem to have regressed even though they are charging money now. I don't expect them to wake up from their slumber any time soon though and that makes the whole situation even worse.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that they clearly wanna wait for the first year of subscriptions to run out to incentivize resubscribing.

Would not be surprised at all to see a higher tier switch online launch in September with them.

Adroitone

Nov 12, 2017
I'm pretty sure it is coming. Wasn't the NES app datamined earlier this year to show SNES games as well as other systems (codenamed) possibly coming? This is just my wild and crazy guess, but they may lineup more systems coming with Animal Crossing's release.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Exactly, it's called Virtual Console, not Virtual Consoles you ingrates. Here, have some more Balloon Fight🎈.

Hey, if they actually put more balloon fight on there I'd take back any bad things I said about the service.
By this I mean the Balloon Fight GB game, especially the colorized version that was only available at specific GB kiosks in Japan to be used with rewriteable cartridges

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Hey, if they actually put more balloon fight on there I'd take back any bad things I said about the service.
By this I mean the Balloon Fight GB game, especially the colorized version that was only available at specific GB kiosks in Japan to be used with rewriteable cartridges
You mean Balloon Kid? That shit was legit

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta drip feed it. Learn business people

Or else they'll run out of free monthly games to offer in the next 5 years Kappa

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The excuse is timing with the holidays more than likely.

Plus they don't seem to be doing new licencing deals for stuff that was on Virtual Console. Everything released for NES on Switch is first party.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Nintendo : "And yet, we won't because we like to frustrate our customers to no end for whatever reasons".

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The excuse is that when Nintendo wants to goose their share price, they just need to announce an SNES Collection and it'll go through the roof for a quarter or two. Similar to what they did with no Mario game on mobile phones.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
So just because they did it on past consoles you expect it now? Nintendo promised nothing. Microsoft's bc is free, but very limited. They are doing a great job with it, I agree. But to expect snes games based on something they once offered is a bit naive.

Seems like a classic case of entitled "fans" acting entitled. I want SNES player as much as the next guy but the OPs attitude represents the worst side of gaming culture.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
If NSO was a flop we probably would have SNES games by now. But Nintendo is making money, so they see no reason to do anything different than what they've planned. Consumers are justifying their direction.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
It's not like that they're trying to make excuses or anything they never said SNES or more consoles would be in NSO so they haven't included more, only Nintendo know their reasons.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017

Expecting anything from Nintendo is a classic mistake, you should know better by now. There's no guarantee they're even working on it.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Thinking about posting a pic of my gba micro sitting on a switch...

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Nintendo games would probably be pirated a lot less if they actually made their classics available for sale or add them to their stupid subscription service.

Probably ? That's one of the worst kept secret in the history of gaming, you just have to look at what Steam did for the PC. Unfortunately, good luck explaining that to Nintendo higher-up. I can't wait for the old asses to retire and the new blood taking their place.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Nintendo could dominate more if they play for keeps and give the switch many of the ideas from their pass gaming devices. would love a lot of the virtual console stuff on the Switch.