• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Considering how many trans (and LGBT in general) rights stages are still up, this seems to be a case of one mod with (putting it lightly) a twisted definition of what is a political statement, and who happened to be the one to deliver the bad verdict on the reports against this stage by transphobic players.

That said, Nintendo should definitely make sure their internal policy prevents mods from making bad decisions like this on human rights topics, but there is evidence to the contrary that the company is not a blatantly anti-trans monster (Splatoon, Miiverse), where they let pro-trans user-generated content fly.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Sadly it's probably the right decision. I imagine alt right shit will eventually make it's way into smash so they are just cutting everything so there isn't a "but you let them do it" attitude.

Oct 27, 2017
Ask Nintendo customer support who took it down because it was a "political statement".
You realize customer service isn't the one doing the moderating, right? They're completely separate groups and customer service reps usually just try and answer as best as they can in the absence of concrete statements to give customers

Sadly it's probably the right decision. I imagine alt right shit will eventually make it's way into smash so they are just cutting everything so there isn't a "but you let them do it" attitude.
That "slippery slope" somehow hasn't harmed Splatoon 2 which is filled with LGBTQ pictures and messages. I doubt it'll harm Smash

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this was mistake or a singular poor decision on a moderators part, especially considering how many similar posts you see in Splatoon 2 and I've never heard anything about them getting taken down.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
User banned (permanent): transphobia + previous severe infraction
Good. I hate having to deal with that crap in public - would have to do so in the privacy of my own home

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ask Nintendo customer support who took it down because it was a "political statement".
Customer service doesn't take anything down. What?
Good. I hate having to deal with that crap in public - would have to do so in the privacy of my own home
If you're not kidding:
giphy.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Checking on it, there's plenty of stage builder stages that are up and have been since launch that have the same Trans Rights message or the Trans flag.

My guess is that this one got reported a lot and someone made a dumb call on it.
Hopefully that's the case. I don't see the issue with these stages being up.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nope, nope, nope
that's faulty logic. just because alt right garbage shouldn't be allowed doesn't mean positive lgbt+ content shouldn't be either.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Sure. It sounds like a basic preformatted message as usual with customer support.
All the stages still up show that it's not a policy and a moderator that decided to act like this. The "political statement" excuse is just the official argument. Doesn't change the fact people are overreacting.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the way Splatoon 2 is moderated, I strongly suspect that this is just a mistake and not some corporate policy that people in this thread are making it out to be.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I wouldn't find strange a thread somewhere in 4chan or 8chan with altirighties reporting these maps full stupid army mode.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
I wouldn't let my kids online gaming with stuff like this prevalent. As Nintendo is mainly a children audience, anything they can do to clean up the online community is welcomed. No dick picks or other weird crap either

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. It sounds like a basic preformatted message as usual with customer support.
All the stages still up show that it's not a policy and a moderator that decided to act like this. The "political statement" excuse is just the official argument. Doesn't change the fact people are overreacting.

I think Nintendo and the rest of us will all be fine if a few people overreact. It's cool. Not the worst reason to give a company the side eye.

Nintendo really doesn't need you rushing to their rescue at every moment either

Exactly!

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
All the posts in this thread implying that basically Nintendo is doing it on all stages and all the "fuck off etc" due to the OP without the updated info showing it's just a few stages.
The posts implying this is some corporate policy of Nintendo and expected when there's no actual evidence of any such thing
Yeah, fairs in that case. I did find it especially odd considering how Splatoon 2 is handled so I'm hoping Nintendo issue a statement or whatever clarifying this. There isn't really any scenario where they stay quiet on this as it'll be a bad look.

I get the feeling they should have spent way more time planning out this stage builder thing though. User generated content opens itself up to be abused like this through reports and what not. Moderation isn't easy in these instances at all, especially considering they have to deal with thousands of stages. The comment about "political statements" does rub me off the wrong way a bit all things considered though.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Unless Nintendo comes out and clarifies this saying it was indeed a mistake, they should be called out, of course we have apologists here and people saying shit like ERA is overreacting because it's a Nintendo fuck up, fucking shameful.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I think Nintendo and the rest of us will all be fine if a few people overreact. It's cool. Not the worst reason to give a company the side eye.
Sure?
I'm not defending Nintendo here. Just saying people are overreacting here, which to be fair is really frequent on this forum (and elsewhere once a sensitive topic is shared) since people are basically reading just the title.

Oct 27, 2017
Unless Nintendo comes out and clarifies this saying it was indeed a mistake, they should be called out, of course we have apologists here and people saying shit like ERA is overreacting because it's a Nintendo fuck up, fucking shameful.

We have those because we literally have another popular Nintendo game with user generated LGBTQ (Splatoon 2) content that doesn't get moderated. It's not people just talking out of their ass. Unless you think Nintendo would treat both games content differently, i don't see why assuming this is just erroneous moderation is being an apologist. But sure, keep up your kneejerk console war bullshit if it helps you justify whatever it is you want to feel

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I would be saying exactly the same thing if, for example, the same situation happened in Dreams on PS4. Stop trying to make this into a console war.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not good. I hope this is a one-time misunderstanding/miscommunication type of deal.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't know which possibility is the more optimistic one: was this was the result of a mass flagging system working independently of human oversight, or did a human moderator OK taking this down?

Alternate overly-snarky, mean-spirited take: wow gee no wonder Nintendo was so happy to cover for Atlus with that lyrics debacle
Are you seriously trying to derail this thread with the misheard lyrics thing? lol people on ResetEra are amazing

I hope Nintendo reversed their stance on this one. As it stands I'm willing to bet that it's automatic moderation and they need to fix their algorithm.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
I would be saying exactly the same thing if, for example, the same situation happened in Dreams on PS4. Stop trying to make this into a console war.

Lmao, console war? Who's saying anything about that? It's ok to call out a company and still like the company, if this was EA for example, the replies in here would be way different, but carry on with this console war bullshit rhetoric.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
I think what he means is that anything sexual at all ( boy, girl, bi, trans, gender fluid, ect) should be just left out of game service where can kids play. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with it at all, of course its a good cause, its just kids have an innocence that they deserve to have. I'd also argue against any toys having a gender label for the same reason.

It's also possible i'm wrong and would love to hear a respectful rebuttal without being attacked

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Lmao, console war? Who's saying anything about that? It's ok to call out a company and still like the company, if this was EA for example, the replies in here would be way different, but carry on with this console war bullshit rhetoric.

Most of the first page was full of "fuck Nintendo". I think that would be similar if it was EA tbh...

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
While it does seem like a one-off (hopefully), it's still a really shitty look to even ban one stage for this and I hope Nintendo review their moderation policies and/or action the moderator who made this decision.