• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I think what he means is that anything sexual at all ( boy, girl, bi, trans, gender fluid, ect) should be just left out of game service where can kids play. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with it at all, of course its a good cause, its just kids have an innocence that they deserve to have. I'd also argue against any toys having a gender label for the same reason.

Lol. If kids can maintain their "innocence" knowing that boys and girls exist, I'm sure they'll be just find knowing there are other genders as well...

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Are you seriously trying to derail this thread with the misheard lyrics thing? lol people on ResetEra are amazing

It was less about the lyrics and more about "oops, worked with them once and suddenly Nintendo's pushing Atlus's transphobia" which I can see someone arguing excuses Nintendo's behavior here more than I'd like. But there was a reason I formatted it as a shitty throwaway comment.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I think what he means is that anything sexual at all ( boy, girl, bi, trans, gender fluid, ect) should be just left out of game service where can kids play. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with it at all, of course its a good cause, its just kids have an innocence that they deserve to have. I'd also argue against any toys having a gender label for the same reason.

It's also possible i'm wrong and would love to hear a respectful rebuttal without being attacked
Existing as a person isn't sexual. Also, trans kids exist.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Yeah, you are very much wrong here. I'm on my phone right now otherwise I would write a long post as to why. I'm sure someone else will educate you on this.

Plum

May 31, 2018

It's also possible i'm wrong and would love to hear a respectful rebuttal without being attacked

Being transgender has nothing to do with sex and kids knowing about them doesn't harm their innocence in the slightest.

Even then, kids knowing about different sexual preferences doesn't destroy their "innocence," and you're incredibly wrong for even implying that's the case. They're bombarded from day one with imagery of straight people in close relationships and most of them turn out fine, showing them that LGB people exist is only 'bad' if you tell them it's bad.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. If kids can maintain their "innocence" knowing that boys and girls exist, I'm sure they'll be just find knowing there are other genders as well...
i didnt learn what boys and girls were until i was 25 years old. my parents just told me my testicles were just a horrible physical deformity. i'd expect most parents to raise their kids the same way

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Sure?
I'm not defending Nintendo here. Just saying people are overreacting here, which to be fair is really frequent on this forum (and elsewhere once a sensitive topic is shared) since people are basically reading just the title.

I see a few that are what you may consider "overreactions" and posters such as yourself who see differently. Personally, I think it's a bit more iffy since he spoke to someone higher up, but am willing to wait and see what the final result is. There's always going to be those being hyperbolic at times. We've all done it (not saying anyone here is in this case). I just don't see the point in antagonizing people who are a bit angry at this of all things. It probably gets old dealing with kind of bullshit, even it if was just a mistake. From what I saw, no one was calling for a boycott or talking about storming Nintendo HQ, so I don't see the harm personally.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Im confused, have you seen the Splatoon 2 plaza? That might as well be Trans Rights Central with the user generated content, so why is this rule being enforced on Smash Bros?

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm not gonna jump the gun just yet with this one. OP literally just refers to a single stage (despite the title saying 'stages') and there is a 'trans rights' flag stage with over 4,000 yeahs that has yet to be taken down. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who see the very existence of trans-folk like myself as 'political', so one of them working for Nintendo's moderation team isn't surprising.

If Nintendo themselves (instead of just some customer service rep) agree with the decision or if they start taking down other stages then, yeah, that's fucking garbage but right now this doesn't seem to be too bad.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

He could have said exactly what he meant. You're inferring a lot of things you reallt shouldnt

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

Do you think boys and girls don't interact with each other when they're kids? If they do, do they lose their innocence?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
A quick search for "trans" in the shared content section of the game tells me this is a one off thing

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If it was taken down, why does it appear in the list in the image in the original post?

Image may not have been taken at the same time as the tweet. The upload and share process isn't anywhere near as streamlined as with Mario Maker, and I can say for sure that it took me a while to figure out where the 'share/tweet' option was, esp. since there's no quick link to a creator page.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm not gonna jump the gun just yet with this one. OP literally just refers to a single stage (despite the title saying 'stages') and there is a 'trans rights' flag stage with over 4,000 yeahs that has yet to be taken down. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who see the very existence of trans-folk like myself as 'political', so one of them working for Nintendo's moderation team isn't surprising.

If Nintendo themselves (instead of just some customer service rep) agree with the decision or if they start taking down other stages then, yeah, that's fucking garbage but right now this doesn't seem to be too bad.
I got mods to update the title

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017

Hello yes kids can be LGBT too (what with being queer not just spontaneously coming upon one when they're past puberty) and them knowing about it is better than letting them live in self-denial, and non-queer kids are likelier to be open-minded toward queer ones if they are similarly introduced to the concepts without negative connotations.

If a kid notices an LGBT post getting removed for being inappropriate they'll internalize queerness as being something wrong and something to be censored, which is obviously harmful.

Oct 25, 2017
D4b7KE-UcAA8mwB.jpg

At the moment it seems to have only affected one stage, there's still several out there like this. Probably just a case of trolls mass reporting them.

Checking on it, there's plenty of stage builder stages that are up and have been since launch that have the same Trans Rights message or the Trans flag.

My guess is that this one got reported a lot and someone made a dumb call on it.

Quoted for new page.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree, but I imagine that is the stance Nintendo is taking

I don't think Nintendo has taken a stance on this. Do some of y'all not know how moderation teams work?

They get a set of guidelines for what was allowed/not allowed, they get tickets assigned to them as flags come in, they assess whether the flag is valid and ignore it or act.

Unless you think Nintendo literally prohibits content that mentions trans people only in Smash Bros (yet allows it in Splatoon 2), this doesn't reflect the "stance" of anyone, but the moderator

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm talking about the last image in the original post. Someone has searched for "trans", and it appears in the list. Can you still view stages that have been removed?

Can't say with 100% certainty if it's the same stage or not since it might be an identical stage uploaded by someone else. There are a couple other very similar-looking stage.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I don't think Nintendo has taken a stance on this. Do some of y'all not know how moderation teams work?

They get a set of guidelines for what was allowed/not allowed, they get tickets assigned to them as flags come in, they assess whether the flag is valid and ignore it or act.

Unless you think Nintendo literally prohibits content that mentions trans people only in Smash Bros (yet allows it in Splatoon 2), this doesn't reflect the "stance" of anyone, but the moder
Wasn't aware it was ok with Splatoon before I made my post

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019

Pretty much.

People jumping on "lol Nintendo" while ignoring Splatoon 2 or even the other stages still there in Smash, seem to not even play Nintendo games but jump into any thread about them.

EDIT:
Case in point
Glad I haven't bought anything Nintendo related in years.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Hello yes kids can be LGBT too (what with being queer not just spontaneously coming upon one when they're past puberty) and them knowing about it is better than letting them live in self-denial, and non-queer kids are likelier to be open-minded toward queer ones if they are similarly introduced to the concepts without negative connotations.

If a kid notices an LGBT post getting removed for being inappropriate they'll internalize queerness as being something wrong and something to be censored, which is obviously harmful.

Thank you for this

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This is strange, you see trans rights stuff all the time in the Splatoon 2 hub.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninty what are you doinggggg

I want to believe that this was just a mistake

YvWHAQQ.png

46ZFkYM.png

At the moment it seems to have only affected one stage, there's still several out there like this. Probably just a case of trolls mass reporting them.

D4b7KE-UcAA8mwB.jpg
Checking on it, there's plenty of stage builder stages that are up and have been since launch that have the same Trans Rights message or the Trans flag.

My guess is that this one got reported a lot and someone made a dumb call on it.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
This is a case of Era overreacting and shiting on something after a research on the subject as deep as a Kotaku article.

Some opinions here are embarrassing.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is where I'm also at right now.

Buzzard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The ones criticizing know very well what they are doing. It's always like this, simply condemn without reading or proof of anything.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

This basically sums up my thoughts perfectly. If Nintendo sides with this decision or if the stage removals become widespread, then we should jump down their throats. But for right now, this seems to be an isolated incident by a mod who made a bad call. I'm not condoning the stage's removal at all, but rather that similar removals don't seem to be prevalent going by vestal & Imran's posts.

Either way, this stage removal should not be repeated with the others.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how much sleep the moderation team is getting. Must be a nightmare there right now.

Well, either way it's not bad to kick up some noise about this sort of thing. They may not make some larger statement, but they're more likely to reverse an individual case at least.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

LGBT+ kids/teens exist, and it's an incredibly crucial time frame for young people to find support. Kids that don't necessarily fall into the regular cishet majority, or follow established gender tropes (e.g. boys liking to play with Barbie dolls), they are very likely going to get bullied and generally have to fear repercussions, even in the case that they have supportive parents, which still isn't the case very often.
That's why representation is so, so important. If these young people know they're not alone, that they are loved by someone, even if that someone is a stranger on the internet posting a picture or stage in Smash Bros., then that might just be exactly the encouragement and emotional support they need.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
This is bound to happen with a human moderation team vs an algorithm. Looks like it's a one off mistake and not a company wide oppressive policy.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I got mods to update the title

Thanks!

Unless you think Nintendo literally prohibits content that mentions trans people only in Smash Bros (yet allows it in Splatoon 2), this doesn't reflect the "stance" of anyone, but the moder

Yeah, I think a lot of people just don't realise how de-centralised a lot of moderation/customer service efforts for massive companies like Nintendo usually are. This is 'Nintendo's Moderation Team' but it's very likely not directly controlled by Nintendo themselves beyond what wide-reaching rules the team have to abide by. "No politics," is a rule that has 100% been chosen by Nintendo themselves, but this specific case of moderation is probably not Nintendo's decision. The customer service stuff is gonna be similar, especially since Nintendo has most likely outsourced their CS to some form of contractor (they might have done that with the moderation team as well).

Glad I haven't bought anything Nintendo related in years.

We've yet to have any confirmation that this is more than just a single transphobic moderator so you're definitely jumping the gun here.