• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Are there no more Treehouse Live reveals?
Can't remember if last year had a reveal either.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it just seems like they're scaling back a lot.
The streams used to be longer and there were new showcases as well.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Catching up on the Fire Emblem segment. Wow, this looks great to me. I'm kind of surprised how much they're doing with the school stuff. Feels like they bumped up that RPGness. Going to be out of state when the CE ships out so I'm going to have to wait just a bit longer to play this, which looks like it's going to take up a bunch of my time.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe we'll get reveals tomorrow? If we get something from the Golf Story devs it would be a most glorious day. We also need to see what the Fast RMX guys are upto. Even if not the tree house has still served its purpose, seen plenty of awesome gameplay

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They were still streamlining the process - its probably for the better, because data showed them that a big part of the audience keep checking out when the streams get too long or the same kind of games show up too often.
Personally i preferred the streams so far this year, since they seemed a bit more focused and had less downtime in between.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I think it has always been 3 days of Treehouse Live.

Last year was a bit disappointing cause it was Smash most of the time.

This time has been amazing so far, we'll see tomorrow with the indies.
I was talking more about the length each day. Pretty sure it finished around 12am or later (4pm LA) at least for the first year.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Trials of Mana indeed looks so fantastic. I'm still blown away at getting the original via Collection and a remake, too. What a dream come true for fans.

I have to wonder, though -- how did this happen? How did this remake get greenlit ahead of something like an FFIV, V, VI or Chrono Trigger remake at this level of quality? Those were all assuredly bigger games (commercially, financially, everything-ally), and I imagine would have been surer bets on name recognition alone.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not complaining at all. This looks AMAZING and I'm so happy it exists. Just wondering how the hell it happened.

If i have to guess:

1) They tested the water with the Mana Collection 2 years ago in Japan and the bad remake of the first one (that was very low budget): they saw there is still interest around the series.

2) Developers at Square Enix interested on bringing Mana back.

3) Surveys.

In general we're seeing a bit of a resurgence for Square Enix: Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveler, Nier: Automata, they finally managed to release Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy VII Remake looked incredible and now Trials of Mana also. All their teams are trying to bring their very best.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I can't even put into words how good Astral Chain seems to be. The perfect mix of quite exploration and fast paced action. Buying it day one

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo twitter reaffirming that tomorrow is solely Indie Day:

I also feel I've noticed that the Treehouse length has shortened this year. Like, they've only been going up to 2-3pm. Where as E3 Expo is open to 6pm I believe? In the past I swear they used to go all the way until the Expo itself closed.

Maybe their employees felt that was too much time and effort

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't get Nintendo sometimes. The Astral Chain trailers all made it look like the game was extremely action-heavy and almost stage-based. The second Treehouse footage now shows this pretty large city segment that is almost hidden in the trailers.
mindblown.png
Goddamn, they're seriously underselling this game.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Trials of Mana indeed looks so fantastic. I'm still blown away at getting the original via Collection and a remake, too. What a dream come true for fans.

I have to wonder, though -- how did this happen? How did this remake get greenlit ahead of something like an FFIV, V, VI or Chrono Trigger remake at this level of quality? Those were all assuredly bigger games (commercially, financially, everything-ally), and I imagine would have been surer bets on name recognition alone.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not complaining at all. This looks AMAZING and I'm so happy it exists. Just wondering how the hell it happened.
The Mana series still has champions/sponsors within the company whereas something like Chrono does not. On top of that it was probably seen as a reasonable idea because they were already going through the process and expense of localizing the original game. As for FF5 and 6 I'm sure it's something they've wanted to do over the years, just not gotten around to for various reasons. Long term I wouldn't be surprised if we see some remakes/sequels for those games you mentioned. I can imagine this game doing well would help the case for it.

Edit
To expand on that last point, ToM seems like a medium budget remake so to speak, so I think positive reception to a game that looks good without blowing up into some AAA project probably helps to reopen the door to some other remakes or new games in series that can't command a AAA budget.

Last edited:

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
I really don't get Nintendo sometimes. The Astral Chain trailers all made it look like the game was extremely action-heavy and almost stage-based. The second Treehouse footage now shows this pretty large city segment that is almost hidden in the trailers.
mindblown.png
Goddamn, they're seriously underselling this game.
The first trailer was good but the second one they showed at this E3 was indeed underselling the game.
I've to admit it did put me off until I saw the Tree house demo and my hype I had for the first trailer came back :D

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
I also feel I've noticed that the Treehouse length has shortened this year. Like, they've only been going up to 2-3pm. Where as E3 Expo is open to 6pm I believe? In the past I swear they used to go all the way until the Expo itself closed.

Don't know how it compares to last year, but the first couple of years after starting doing Treehouse Live they streamed longer. Used to be lots more repeats of games back then, though.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first trailer was good but the second one they showed at this E3 was indeed underselling the game.
I've to admit it did put me off until I saw the Tree house demo and my hype I had for the first trailer came back :D

Yeah, the first trailer was a great introduction to the concept but they really need to emphasize the exploration/RPG elements more. And we still haven't seen the two-player mode, I think.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Nintendo twitter reaffirming that tomorrow is solely Indie Day:

Don't know how it compares to last year, but the first couple of years after starting doing Treehouse Live they streamed longer. Used to be lots more repeats of games back then, though.
I felt at times in the past years that they ended up redoing a lot of stuff and it was pretty repetitive. By Day 3 there was almost no reason to watch the stream since it would basically be a repeat of everything we saw already.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I felt at times in the past years that they ended up redoing a lot of stuff and it was pretty repetitive. By Day 3 there was almost no reason to watch the stream since it would basically be a repeat of everything we saw already.
I concur. I think they used to go up to 4:30 most days, but by day 3 it was essentially repeating the same demos from earlier. It seems like this year they are better at showing different slices of their demoed games. Hopefully the indie day will lead to a few announcements. My personal favorite segment from last year was the DK/Sky Skipper reveal/history lesson. I know that's not indie but would like more stuff like that for tomorrow.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Next Level Games moving up in the nintendo dev tier list. Wow. Not that they were ever low.

betting time,
LM3 over or under 10 million LTD

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Next Level Games moving up in the nintendo dev tier list. Wow. Not that they were ever low.

betting time,
LM3 over or under 10 million LTD
Just a bit under, I think. Dark Moon was like 6 million, Switch boost should get another 2-3?

Speaking of sales I really hope Link's Awakening outsells ALBW significantly. I need 2D Zelda to stand tall right with 3D Zelda, as Mario does. What are y'all thinking with that one?

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a bit under, I think. Dark Moon was like 6 million, Switch boost should get another 2-3?

Speaking of sales I really hope Link's Awakening outsells ALBW significantly. I need 2D Zelda to stand tall right with 3D Zelda, as Mario does. What are y'all thinking with that one?
I'm thinking it'll sell 5 million

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
Yeah, the first trailer was a great introduction to the concept but they really need to emphasize the exploration/RPG elements more. And we still haven't seen the two-player mode, I think.
Yup, we still didn't saw it. So many mysteries remain yet so close it's release date. I don't want it to bomb like Wonderfull 101 because lack of marketting Q.Q

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

Celine's thread had ABLW at 3.71m
LA is hard to predict. My range for it is 4-5m. Going too much above 5 would be surprising, but Zelda is surprising lately.

Yea Dark Moon is at 5.75 per that thread.
I'm not quite ready to dive into 10m, but I think LM3 will be huge.

Under for sure. I had Luigi's Mansion 3 selling around 7 million.

7, let's go bigger.

jams

Nov 6, 2017
How did Daemon x Machina look? I saw the improvements it got but how does the co-op look?

I thought it actually looked pretty great! The game looks like it's faster and more responsive than the demo, but obviously it's hard to say without playing. I'm still pretty pumped for it though!

The co-op seemed good, especially when fighting the colossal immortal as a group. There seemed to be legitimate strategic co-operative play, in that everyone had different loadouts that served different purposes, and you needed to coordinate on attacking weakpoints and such.

Last edited:

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
I thought it actually looked pretty great! The game looks like it's faster and more responsive than the demo, but obviously it's hard to say without playing. I'm still pretty pumped for it though!

The co-op seemed good, especially when fighting the colossal immortal as a group. There seemed to be legitimate strategic co-operative play, in that everyone had different loadouts that served different purposes, and you needed to coordinate on attacking weakpoints and such.
I'm not much of a stickler for graphics/framerate but I'd like to know how well the fps held in solo and co-op. Saw some people saying co-op looks rough?

Oct 27, 2017
Geeze, NIntendo is destroying Xbox & Sony in terms of new games coming out this year. Anyways, watched the Fire Emblem: 3 houses & Marvel UA 3 treehouse videos and I have to say, Fire Emblem is going to be a very strong contender for GOTY this year. Planning to buy Luigi Manson 3. Sucks we can't use a voucher to buy it.

First Fire Emblem; Even by watching the video, it looks DEEP in terms of strategy and how you can build your team. The school aspect the game is an excellent idea and you can easily get lost (in a good way). What I love about that feature though is that you will care for those characters and that's huge in a strategy war game like this. The more you develop that character, the more determined and careful you will be in battle to make sure he/she will survive. To me, that's really important in strategy and even in RPG games. Graphic wise, I love it. The characters in the school (beginning part) looks great and it shows that the designers took great care in creating those characters.

Lastly, the battles. I read that some didn't like the looks of the map/world/terrain. Honestly, I didn't mind it as to me, it looked like they were going w/ a mix of an anime and real world look. The actual battle cut-scenes/sequences look great and I love close the camera gets.

Second; Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. I love the marvel universe but the treehouse demo's didn't sell me on the game. Love the comic book look of the graphics and how many characters from the Marvel universe there is. However, I'm not really sure how it will work in single player mode is this game screams play with 4 players. Disappointed that they had to involve the infinity stones in the story as I wish they went in a totally different direction as I got a bad feeling that Thanos will be the last boss in the game (enough of him already honestly). Definitely not a fan of the "trials" levels or feature of the game and worried that getting A or the highest level to unlock new characters will be frustrating in single player mode.

Buying the 2 voucher deal this weekend and I think i'm going w/ Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem: 3 houses. Even though I usually stink in strategy games, I really enjoyed the IOS version and what they are doing in FE: 3 houses, has me sold and excited. Just hope I don't miss my bus stop while playing this on the bus on the way to work or home.