• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

jams

Nov 6, 2017
I buy digital. this way I can't lose the cartridge (knowing my luck) or don't have to swap cartridges. It was either LA or FE: 3 houses for my second game w/ the vouchers the gameplay on from the treehouse sold me on Fire Emblem.

If you have Nintendo Switch Online, you can get the vouchers which is basically two games for around 60 each. That's what I'm gonna do.

EDIT - Didn't read properly, my bad. Ignore this.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda surprised there's not more hype on this forum in general for Astral Chain. Usually Platinum stuff gets a lot of attention here but I feel like this is slipping by.

Which is crazy because after the gameplay they showed yesterday and today it's easily looking like the game of the show for me.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised there's not more hype on this forum in general for Astral Chain. Usually Platinum stuff gets a lot of attention here but I feel like this is slipping by.

Which is crazy because after the gameplay they showed yesterday and today it's easily looking like the game of the show for me.
I've been trying to push it lol. This and Luigi's Mansion 3 are my favorite games n

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to push it lol. This and Luigi's Mansion 3 are my favorite games n
I made a thread to push it, and itz turning out well, already on the 2nd pay, I'm gonna make one for DxM aswell matbe tomorrow since its getting late and im thinking of making one foe fire emblem aswell but dont know how to push it because theres alot of info given

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say this again ,Trials of Mana looks good.

only downside is no multiplayer. I get it, but oh well.

I've beaten the game like 2.5 or 3.5 times, but I'm curious about the voice acting for the big scenes.
since you can choose whatever character and order.
The story obviously has the same general story beats once you get your 3rd member, but certain story stuff has a deviation based on your party.
Like Duran and a certain enemy. The cut scenes are somewhat different.
So that will be interesting.
It looks like a solid 7.5 mid tier JRPG, but I'm so day one. Out of nostalgia and everything lol.

we know it's gonna cost 50 bucks tho.
SOM collection is 40 lol.
Lost Sphyear is 50.
So now way this is less than 50. Maybe even 60 knowing square.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have to say the Lucky game looks pretty good by now. Movement and camera are on point and the style is also okay.

I just think it all looks too nice. The best collectathons gave us memorable characters on top of things to collect too. Lucky looks very bland as a protagonist to me and a lot of the folks populating his worlds do too. It doesn't feel like an 'all ages' game but very much catering to the very young. If the gameplay is excellent, I might still buy but otherwise this isn't necessarily for me.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Honestly, what is Dragon Quest XI S's resolution? It seems lower than 720p. I can stomach it but it must be the lower so far in a high profile release.
Performance at least looks good.

Daemon x Machina's is a bit of a reverse example: framerate is really low but the resolution is top notch.

Either way, I am buying both.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I'm super excited for Link's Awakening, but imagine seeing that game next to BotW, both for $60.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, what is Dragon Quest XI S's resolution? It seems lower than 720p. I can stomach it but it must be the lower so far in a high profile release.
Performance at least looks good.

Daemon x Machina's is a bit of a reverse example: framerate is really low but the resolution is top notch.

Either way, I am buying both.

I don't know the Switch resolution but it's possible that you are right about being lower than 720p since on base PS4 it was already 900p (and the framerate dropped a bit in some areas).

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, all caught up with day 2. FE looks great, UA3 as well, and so does Astral Chain and DxM. Add Link's Awakening and LM3 and I don't know how I can afford all this. Will have to pace it all and buy into the vouchers. They are good to purchase until July, right?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Definitely one of my most anticipated games for this year, i think this game will turn out really great.

With Fire Emblem and Links Awakening releasing too, easily a great Switch year in general

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Yay! Didn't expect a Mario Maker 2 part 3 stream. A colleague walked by while I was watching the video (lunch break) and he immediately grabbed a chair and watched it with me. He thinks it looks super fun.
I agree... Two more weeks!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the Switch resolution but it's possible that you are right about being lower than 720p since on base PS4 it was already 900p (and the framerate dropped a bit in some areas).
Looks like it's 720p with some aggressive TAA. Might have dynamic resolution which I don't think the PS4 version had

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Weird thing I noticed watching the third Mario Maker 2 stream:
It looks like Mario doesn't slide down slopes in the SMB style. He crouches and slows down while going down slopes. I thought all original styles share the same physics. I guess NSMBU has triple jumps and twirls and SMW has spin jumps but it seems weird that they decided that SMB shouldn't allow sliding when ducking on slopes...

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
only downside is no multiplayer. I get it, but oh well.

I've beaten the game like 2.5 or 3.5 times, but I'm curious about the voice acting for the big scenes.
since you can choose whatever character and order.
The story obviously has the same general story beats once you get your 3rd member, but certain story stuff has a deviation based on your party.
Like Duran and a certain enemy. The cut scenes are somewhat different.
So that will be interesting.
It looks like a solid 7.5 mid tier JRPG, but I'm so day one. Out of nostalgia and everything lol.

we know it's gonna cost 50 bucks tho.
SOM collection is 40 lol.
Lost Sphyear is 50.
So now way this is less than 50. Maybe even 60 knowing square.
I think it will be worth it insofar as it's not a 1 - 1 remake so it should be fresh

It's also coming out fairly soon and actually looks decent compared to the previous Mana remake.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
If memory serves, in the past Treehouses the final segment on the final day has usually been just them kicking back and having fun on something higher-profile, so it wouldn't surprise me if they end with some last bit of Mario Maker or Luigi's Mansion. It'll be interesting if they don't, though, and make that last segment an indie as well; wonder what'll get that spot?

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Weird thing I noticed watching the third Mario Maker 2 stream:
It looks like Mario doesn't slide down slopes in the SMB style. He crouches and slows down while going down slopes. I thought all original styles share the same physics. I guess NSMBU has triple jumps and twirls and SMW has spin jumps but it seems weird that they decided that SMB shouldn't allow sliding when ducking on slopes...

Hmm, I thought it was because he was going so slowly and wasn't in the ice world, but looking back at it I think you're right. That is odd.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nintendo has a strong chance of publishing 6 or more games that score 85+ on MC to close out the year.

Cadence of Hyrule - 85+ (Winterreise pointed out that Crypt scored an 87 originally and this is published by Nintendo)
Super Mario Maker 2 - 87+ (first game averaged 88, I can't see this going lower than that)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 85+ (Awakening was 92, Fates was 88)
Astral Chain - 85+ (Platinum games can be divisive, but this looks high-quality like Nier or Bayonetta)
Zelda: Link's Awakening - 85+ (depending on performance and extras, ALBW got a 91, but was a new game)
Dragon Quest XI S - 85+ (PS4 averaged 86, this looks improved in many ways, slight graphical downgrade)
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 85+ (Dark Moon averaged 86, this looks Next Level)
Pokemon Sword/Shield - 85+ (Sun/Moon averaged 87, series as a whole stays in the mid-80 range. Let's Go was more divisive and a remake at 79)

Shoutouts to Builders 2 (first game averaged an 81), Daemon x Machina (looks too divisive to break 85, but who knows), Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (looks fun, but may not break 85 based off what I've seen), Mario & Sonic (these are typically in the 60's and 70's, but this looks good?, also not published by Nintendo in the West),

Note: 85 is an arbitrary cutoff for quality and games can be enjoyed below that threshold, it doesn't mean they are bad.

Last edited:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Do we know if there will be any new indie game announcements today, or if it will only be focusing on previously announced/released games?

I think Nintendo has a strong chance of publishing 6 or more games that score 85+ on MC to close out the year.

I'd say Cadence of Hyrule is a lock for 85+, considering NecroDancer has an 87 on Metacritic and Cadence looks improved in every way + Zelda tie-in.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Super Mario Maker 2 - 87+ (first game averaged 88, I can't see this going lower than that)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 85+ (Awakening was 92, Fates was 88)
Astral Chain - 85+ (Platinum games can be divisive, but this looks high-quality like Nier or Bayonetta)
Zelda: Link's Awakening - 85+ (depending on performance and extras, ALBW got a 91, but was a new game)
Dragon Quest XI S - 85+ (PS4 averaged 86, this looks improved in many ways, slight graphical downgrade)
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 85+ (Dark Moon averaged 86, this looks Next Level)
Pokemon Sword/Shield - 85+ (Sun/Moon averaged 87, series as a whole stays in the mid-80 range. Let's Go was more divisive and a remake at 79)

Shoutouts to Builders 2 (first game averaged an 81), Daemon x Machina (looks too divisive to break 85, but who knows), Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (looks fun, but may not break 85 based off what I've seen), Mario & Sonic (these are typically in the 60's and 70's, but this looks good?, also not published by Nintendo in the West),

Note: 85 is an arbitrary cutoff for quality and games can be enjoyed below that threshold, it doesn't mean they are bad.
Yeah it'll be a good year.

Astral Chain and LA in particular I can see getting 90+, going by Bayonetta 2/NieR (89 but combat looks better here) and ALBW

Honestly maybe even LM3 going by how much better it looks than Dark Moon, which got 86

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
If memory serves, in the past Treehouses the final segment on the final day has usually been just them kicking back and having fun on something higher-profile, so it wouldn't surprise me if they end with some last bit of Mario Maker or Luigi's Mansion. It'll be interesting if they don't, though, and make that last segment an indie as well; wonder what'll get that spot?

So I had a quick glance at 2018, and it looked like the very last content segment before they all grouped up to say goodbye was them playing Killer Queen Black on the showfloor. Prior to that - the last sit-down bit - was Smash, though.