• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How many documented instances did people find of the error occurring?

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
Some bugs are just nasty and hard to replicate/find. That's why its important to really remember what you did and in what order. Otherwise it can be really hard to reproduce and fix the bug...

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks cause it's definitely gonna make me stay away from that mode as the plant just out of paranoia.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The fact that I didn't even know there was an All-Star mode and how convoluted it is getting to it in the menu shows how much of a clusterfuck the Smash Ultimate UI is, though by now most people have probably grown used to it so there'd be no use changing it to something that makes more sense.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe some people had just a problem with their SD card. How many people actually had the problem?
The fact that I didn't even know there was an All-Star mode and how convoluted it is getting to it in the menu shows how much of a clusterfuck the Smash Ultimate UI is, though by now most people have probably grown used to it so there'd be no use changing it to something that makes more sense.
All-Star is now just an variation of Mob Smash, which is easy to find. The menu is still good this time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not surprised. All I've been seeing are fear mongering tweets and posts but no solid evidence
I wouldn't be surprised if a small number of people did actually have an issue, I've seen faulty SD Cards being floated around as a possible culprit, but yeah no doubt there's been a lot of fearmongering over something that doesn't even have video evidence as far as I know:

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saves are on the internal storage,so they should have noticed more issues most likely if the storage medium was the cause.
If the game is installed on a SD card and try to save on the internal storage, maybe it corrupts the files while saving. It would very specif, but it could be a possibility.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Well, there's no challenge related to Piranha Plant so I guess even completionists don't have to worry about not being able of using Piranha Plant in that mode if they're scared of their file getting corrupted.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
It's bad that there's supposedly a glitch that some people claim exists but Nintendo cannot replicate, meaning it's probably not real?

I... don't know how you came to the conclusion that it's not real, as opposed to probably "the glitch is likely more complicated than merely using the plant in All-Star mode"

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's bad that there's supposedly a glitch that some people claim exists but Nintendo cannot replicate, meaning it's probably not real?

People try to say everything is a non-issue with the Switch. The bad joycon quality (drifting, triggers, etc), docks bending and scratching the console, I've had them all. So if there are people having issues with the character and the mode I'll believe them, until something drastic happens (like discovering that only those with homebrew/hacked consoles are having the issue).

I don't care if it is just a small number of people, I've heard that before and I still got the problem.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
To be fair, it's barely all-star mode anymore. Pretty much just polygon fighting team except the characters have their true forms. Honestly, polygon fighting team would have been way cooler...

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People try to say everything is a non-issue with the Switch. The bad joycon quality (drifting, triggers, etc), docks bending and scratching the console, I've had them all. So if there are people having issues with the character and the mode I'll believe them, until something drastic happens (like discovering that only those with homebrew/hacked consoles are having the issue).

I don't care if it is just a small number of people, I've heard that before and I still got the problem.

You might as box up your switch then, if you're going to believe every bit of baseless fearmongering that comes your way. Only way to keep it safe.

I... don't know how you came to the conclusion that it's not real, as opposed to probably "the glitch is likely more complicated than merely using the plant in All-Star mode"

Uh, because obviously Nintendos testing wasn't just playing a couple of rounds of all star using Piranha plant. They will have done absolutely extensive testing before coming out with a public statement saying it's not possible to replicate and therefore nothing to worry about.

The most likely explanation then is one of (a) the person(s) who reported the glitch were lying or (b) they had a faulty SD card or (c) they modified their switch.

If you have corrupted data for (b) to occur, it would happen regardless of all star mode, if your hardware is faulty so that's no reason to take any advice from them. The other two options speak for themselves on whether it's worth listening to.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure, the bug could be hard to replicate.... but at the same time, we're talking about a QA department that probably tests the game to hell and back to leave it to Sakurai's standards.
If they can't find it, I don't think its unreasonable that those that had their files corrupted had another things that caused the error - maybe a faulty SD card, or that they tampered with the system.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how true it is, but apparently one of the people that claim the corruption glitch allegedly downloaded(pirated)the game early for youtubing so that may have something to do with it

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Does Nintendo not have a system to let people send their corrupted save file to them? Seems like that would be the easiest way to find the problem.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I wonder if the corruption was caused by some people tempering with their system somehow...
This was my #1 thought when I saw only a select few people have this issue. There was a number of people who got this game before release date, and I'm not talking about reviewers.

I do think the bug exists, just that it extends beyond just using the Plant in All Star mode

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Does Nintendo not have a system to let people send their corrupted save file to them? Seems like that would be the easiest way to find the problem.
It's more of the nature of the glitch being very hard to replicate. They do have a system, but if the reporter doesn't know how to replicate the issue, it's basically useless information.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

sure thing buddy. we all know you are the benchmark for how good a UI is

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
I've corrupted other games saves by installing saves from other users (homebrew) so maybe it's only that.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure people who actually had their save data corrupted aren't fearmongering.

But I'm also sure it's not much more than some weird isolated cases.

How can you be sure?

There seems very little to none well documented cases and the people who reported this seems shy when asked questions about their Switch. It could be like some hinted, that is somehow linked to modifies Switches, if this is the case Nintendo has no reason to bother with this. Or the internal memory is full or broken.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
sure thing buddy. we all know you are the benchmark for how good a UI is
You realize this is probably among the worst ways to present a counter-argument, right? It isn't even an outrageous point I'm making there, other users in this forum have expressed similar feelings, especially in that thread about finding the in-game tutorial. I do reply snarkily when a post is outrageus and silly enough, mine isn't tho, it's a very fair point to argue.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You realize this is probably among the worst ways to present a counter-argument, right? It isn't even an outrageous point I'm making there, other users in this forum have expressed similar feelings, especially in that thread about finding the in-game tutorial. I do reply snarkily when a post is outrageus and silly enough, mine isn't tho, it's a very fair point to argue.
The All-Star Mode is just Mob Smash but with actual characters. It's exactly where it should be. Not knowing it existed is likely because you had no interest in playing Mob Smash to begin with, and has nothing to do with bad UI.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, because obviously Nintendos testing wasn't just playing a couple of rounds of all star using Piranha plant. They will have done absolutely extensive testing before coming out with a public statement saying it's not possible to replicate and therefore nothing to worry about.

The most likely explanation then is one of (a) the person(s) who reported the glitch were lying or (b) they had a faulty SD card or (c) they modified their switch.

If you have corrupted data for (b) to occur, it would happen regardless of all star mode, if your hardware is faulty so that's no reason to take any advice from them. The other two options speak for themselves on whether it's worth listening to.

My entire point is that coming to option (a) at all at this stage is cynical as hell, even based on what Nintendo has said about it so far given that they're willing to continue investigating.

Option (b) is going to hinge upon how many people have had this specific issue, which may lead into (c). But that doesn't mean that the glitch itself isn't real, but that it may only occur under specific circumstances.

In the end, we'll see what Nintendo can come up with.

celigio

Oct 27, 2017
Monteranch
I can relate to this, sometimes it just happens and you don't know why. So there must be something else going aside from using PP in All Star

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You might as box up your switch then, if you're going to believe every bit of baseless fearmongering that comes your way. Only way to keep it safe.

Kinda late to the party with that comment, since I've already boxed up my dock months ago. Plus this isn't about believing baseless fearmongering, this is believing others that had issues like I did while many like you try to turn that into baseless fearmongering.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can relate.

I'm currently investigating a software bug in a product we just sold to a very angry customer for $11M. Reproducing bugs can often feel like solving 200 year old cold cases.

STHX

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What if the bug is related to (I'll spoiler just in case)
the removal of the "Jack" and "Brave" files from the game, and Nintendo can't replicate it because their testing version still has the files?