• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well first we need to know if they are using a memory card at all or did any tinkering with their system and they also didn't post any proof with a relatively unused account. I'm not saying they are lying, but I am waiting for them to post more to elaborate.

Crap tons of counterfeits. Even ones from Amazon itself.
i bought mine in store at walmarts am i safe?

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
If the dev team still cannot find the source of the bug after it became known for about a week, then I find it hard to attribute the bug passing through to "skimping on proper quality testing". Instead, it's much more likely a case of the bug either not being reproducible on their dev kits (due to potential SD card/homebrew shenanigans) or having it occur extremely, extremely rarely that it simply never popped up.

Bugs exist in every piece of software. Some more of a problem than others. However, not everything will be found before something gets shipped. That's just the nature of software development.

Indeed! And if the bug couldn't have been prevented by quality testing, then that is totally fair enough! I have already stated this in an earlier post.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Indeed! And if the bug couldn't have been prevented by quality testing, then that is totally fair enough! I have already stated this in an earlier post.
You didn't really state that. You posited a question that couldn't possibly be answered by anyone who goes to this forum (which made it seem disingenuous, by the way) and then dropped that avenue altogether. >_>

EDIT: Oops, double post. :<

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's charging for online services now AND one of their games may contain an extremely rare and specific bug that has affected a vanishingly small group of consumers????

lock 'em up

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Well first we need to know if they are using a memory card at all or did any tinkering with their system and they also didn't post any proof with a relatively unused account. I'm not saying they are lying, but I am waiting for them to post more to elaborate. Wanting more information doesn't mean I think they are lying.

Yeah, OK, I see you're going to keep moving the goalposts over and over before a) entertaining the Occam's razor explanation that there's simply a bug with the piranha plant or b) admitting that people in this thread literally called everyone who reported this bug "a liar". This conversation is over.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
This honestly seems like the worst kind of bug to encounter. Could you imagine if it was something like this:

An extremely inconsistent bug
that happens in any mode with any character
potentially related to multi-threading
causing save corruption
and only found on Final builds.

I would almost consider quitting lol.

Wasn't there a very consistent bug back when SSB for Wii U released that bricked consoles? I remember a lot of misinformation spreading about that back then.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Wow that's unexpected news. They better be able to replicate it.

Or maybe the Switch just needs more stability updates.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Yeah, OK, I see you're going to keep moving the goalposts over and over before a) entertaining the Occam's razor explanation that there's simply a bug with the piranha plant or b) admitting that people in this thread literally called everyone who reported this bug "a liar". This conversation is over.
Lol what's your problem dude? I'm sorry people desire proof for this stuff. Didn't move a single goalpost. I get you want to rage, but so far the only proof of a bug had nothing to do with piranha plant.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Seems like is a specific microsd card that is causing the issue...

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3280...microsd-card-might-be-causing-smash-bros-ulti

GoNintendo said:
Users on Reddit have come to discover that the Samsung 256GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME256GA/AM) seems to be the reason why save data is getting corrupted. Here's the thing though. It appears the microSD card might actually be a counterfit card, and not a legit one.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought I redeemed the code a while ago, but don't see the character in my list. Or is this a random unlock like the other characters?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Wasn't there a very consistent bug back when SSB for Wii U released that bricked consoles? I remember a lot of misinformation spreading about that back then.
Yeah, Mewtwo caused a similar issue when he got released. I think he was triggering some anti-cheat protocol that Nintendo forgot to disable when DLC started to roll in.

That said, I was just having fun thinking up a nightmare scenario for a bug that programmers would have to tackle lol. I doubt this bug is exactly like I described (but if it is I certainly do not envy the people in charge of fixing it).

I thought I redeemed the code a while ago, but don't see the character in my list. Or is this a random unlock like the other characters?
Check your re-download list on the e-Shop.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Mate, my argument is perfectly clear in the first post: the flagship title of their online service isn't being quality checked. I have at zero point blamed the service itself. You've all been attacking a straw man.
Your first post didn't really make any argument, and it definitely wasn't that one. I know i'm talking to a brick wall here, but if you didn't mean to bring NSO into the conversation with your original drive-by tier post, why even mention the 20 pound price tag for online?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played my copy of SSBU because of this glitch for a week.

(Luckily I had Kingdom Hearts III to keep me busy, but I've finished that now.)

I guess I should wander back in, and see if anything's actually wrong or not.

set0k

Oct 28, 2017
Well first we need to know if they are using a memory card at all or did any tinkering with their system and they also didn't post any proof with a relatively unused account. I'm not saying they are lying, but I am waiting for them to post more to elaborate. Wanting more information doesn't mean I think they are lying.

Crap tons of counterfeits. Even ones from Amazon itself.
Sorry, I posted during my lunch break and am catching up now. I am just using the Switch as it came, didn't purchase an SD card. I buy pretty much all games physically except for a few so I haven't had a need to. No tinkering with the Switch at all. I wish I had taken a screenshot of the error message... I knew of the issue based off of a Gamexplain video.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Sorry, I posted during my lunch break and am catching up now. I am just using the Switch as it came, didn't purchase an SD card. I buy pretty much all games physically except for a few so I haven't had a need to. No tinkering with the Switch at all. I wish I had taken a screenshot of the error message... I knew of the issue based off of a Gamexplain video.
You see that's the kind of info we need. Do you remember what the error said? Was it like the one in the subreddit video?

Also when did the game crash? Was it while playing as the plant? Did your other characters disappear before hand?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the information. Based on your previous post, it sounds like the all-star mode, piranha plant connection isn't there, but either there's something with piranha plant in general, or you were just really unlucky with some unknown variable that's going to be hard to figure out. Glad you were able to get your back up saves to fix the issue!

Come to think of it, after the discussion on the last page, it's actually hilarious that paying for the Online Service had actually saved your data rather than been what corrupted it.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Your first post didn't really make any argument, and it definitely wasn't that one. I know i'm talking to a brick wall here, but if you didn't mean to bring NSO into the conversation with your original drive-by tier post, why even mention the 20 pound price tag for online?

So what you're saying is that Nintendo's flagship online title — which is the spearhead of selling a £20 per year online service — having DLC content that wasn't quality checked and is now crashing peoples' save data, is ok?

The fact that you're really struggling to see the connection between Nintendo's online service, and the patch quality control of the flagship title of such an online service, is very bizarre.

Microsoft and Bungie ensured that everything within their patches was flawless with Halo 2, because the game was the core foundation of Xbox Live. Why is it controversial to expect Nintendo do the same with Smash?

Perhaps you are deliberately evading the point here, but I don't think there's anything more I can say at this point.

set0k

Oct 28, 2017
You see that's the kind of info we need. Do you remember what the error said? Was it like the one in the subreddit video?
The reddit video showed a player being booted from the game to the home menu right? That didn't happen to me. I just went to start playing a new session of the game from the Home menu and got an error about save data. The game didn't start, so I hit the plus button to go into options and clicked on the menu about cloud backups. I'm at work and don't have my Switch by me to reference. I'm pretty sure there was a small red X or something in that menu, and after I clicked on it the cloud backup downloaded and changed it to a blue check mark. I was then able to launch the game.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I wonder what actually is in the error reports.

During initial setup I chose a weak Wi-Fi AP - long story - and that caused an error that I could have sent to Nintendo... except, not really, because that required a working internet connection... I think I could look at it later but not resend it. It had a fair amount of details visible, but nothing particularly special (error number, FW at error, etc.). I imagine the reports must have some secret sauce inside, but whether it's enough to help with things like these, I have no idea.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what you're saying is that Nintendo's flagship online title — which is the spearhead of selling a £20 per year online service — having DLC content that wasn't quality checked and is now crashing peoples' save data, is ok?

The fact that you're really struggling to see the connection between Nintendo's online service, and the patch quality control of the flagship title of such an online service, is very bizarre.

Microsoft and Bungie ensured that everything within their patches was flawless with Halo 2, because the game was the core foundation of Xbox Live. Why is it controversial to expect Nintendo do the same with Smash?

Perhaps you are deliberately evading the point here, but I don't think there's anything more I can say at this point.
I mean, I pointed this out in the post above, but the irony is that the cloud saves are what saved the data of the person who said they had this issue, where as someone who didn't have the online service would have been screwed.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
The reddit video showed a player being booted from the game to the home menu right? That didn't happen to me. I just went to start playing a new session of the game from the Home menu and got an error about save data. The game didn't start, so I hit the plus button to go into options and clicked on the menu about cloud backups. I'm at work and don't have my Switch by me to reference. I'm pretty sure there was a small red X or something in that menu, and after I clicked on it the cloud backup downloaded and changed it to a blue check mark. I was then able to launch the game.
Did you still have all your characters after playing with pirahna plant? The bug is supposed to cause major corruption and then cause you to crash out.

Could you have just closed the game while it was saving and corrupted the data?

set0k

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the information. Based on your previous post, it sounds like the all-star mode, piranha plant connection isn't there, but either there's something with piranha plant in general, or you were just really unlucky with some unknown variable that's going to be hard to figure out. Glad you were able to get your back up saves to fix the issue!

Come to think of it, after the discussion on the last page, it's actually hilarious that paying for the Online Service had actually saved your data rather than been what corrupted it.
Lol yeah! I was so glad for that backup. I don't think I would have gone through WoL again starting over from scratch.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And he's still spewing bullshit just keep reporting for his BS
lol, i just noticed, he's this guy:
Microsoft will attempt to buy the Kirby IP, that much is certain.

Seriously, you're reporting me for not being hot with Nintendo's online service? Did you report the hundreds of others on here?
dude this has nothing to do with the online service, this isn't even confirmed to be a bug, and it's something that if true (which seems like it isn't) affects people who don't have an online sub too. you look beyond dumb trying to bring NSO into this topic.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, i just noticed, he's this guy:

dude this has nothing to do with the online service, this isn't even confirmed to be a bug, and it's something that if true (which seems like it isn't) affects people who don't have an online sub too. you look beyond dumb trying to bring NSO into this topic.
And he calls himself a s rank Nintendo fan. More like d rank fan and s rank troll.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
but neither this error, not the piranha plant dlc, have nothing to do with NSO.

Look, I'm going to say this for the last time and then leave because people are getting very angry. I think it's perfectly reasonable for the flagship title of a paid service to not have DLC that crashes peoples' save data.

See you all in other threads.

set0k

Oct 28, 2017
Did you still have all your characters after playing with pirahna plant? The bug is supposed to cause major corruption and then cause you to crash out.

Could you have just closed the game while it was saving and corrupted the data?
I didn't notice anything missing in the save data and I still had the Piranha Plant spirit I bought from the shop from my last play session. I exit the game by hitting the home button and closing the software from the Home menu. I suppose it's possible I did that during an autosave but I kinda doubt it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I didn't notice anything missing in the save data and I still had the Piranha Plant spirit I bought from the shop from my last play session. I exit the game by hitting the home button and closing the software from the Home menu. I suppose it's possible I did that during an autosave but I kinda doubt it.
Hmmm so you still had the spirit? I'm confused by that since your save would have been corrupted by the time you bought that if you closed soon after. Did the error say save data or game data? Also thanks for communicating all this. You should send all the info to Nintendo to see if it helps them.

Oct 25, 2017
The source for this information specifically is 4 users in this comment chain:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...rrupted_while_playing_pikachu_online/efs7saw/
One of them ran a test on their card to see if it was a fake with a false advertised size but it came out clean. Another user stated theirs was shipped/sold by Amazon directly.

Four users is hardly a study but I guess it's interesting to note, there could be something funny about that card+switch. It seems their problems are not isolated to Smash, though. They also have issues in Splatoon 2 and Rocket League. So I don't know how involved this is with the ongoing plant discussion. They already got problems. The OP of that thread wasn't even using plant at the time.

I thought for a second that I might have the same card but I double checked and mine is actually SanDisk Ultra 200GB microSDXC U1 A1 UHS-I. Then I thought about my girlfriend but I don't think she even has her own SD card in there, just stock storage out of the box.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just played allstar mode with plant nothing happened sides getting my ass handed to my Ryu. and then greninja