• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
The Switch is a popular console, Smash Bros Ultimate is one of the most popular fighters ever released.

With that in mind, theoretically, there's high sales potential for a cross-over.

Of course, both parties need to be interested.

Unlike Wii (non-standard controller, non-HD console) and Wii U (very low sales), the Switch seems to be a capable platform for this title.

Thoughts?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really think Capcom should do their own thing for once before they decide to be at the whims of another license holder once again.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Some kind of continuation of Namco x Capcom and Project X Zone is more likely than a pure Nintendo vs Capcom, I'd imagine. Even in fighting game form rather than RPG form.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. Capcom couldn't be further from the point where Nintendo would give them so many of their licences considering how Capcom have stopped caring about making and selling games on Nintendo and that feeling is seemingly reciprocated as NoE are no longer helping to distribute Capcom games like they did in the past hence them being digital only very often.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people want this. Capcom's already got some characters in Smash, isn't that enough?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The time has always been right for a Capcom curated Nintendo side of a roster filled with oddball picks alongside the mainstays.
Like the long awaited Dhalsim vs Lanky Kong throwdown.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yes, there's never been a better time.
I wanted to see this just out of curiosity about how would Capcom handle Nintendo characters

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think it's highly likely that Nintendo would be a much better partner to work with than Marvel, dictating characters based on whats best for their MCU rather than what was best for the game.

Yeah, definitely. Nintendo's been more hands off and less protective of their properties, which they're better for.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
It's fun to dream about but I sincerely believe capcom needs to figure out how to handle.launches of fighting games better first before they invest in more crossovers. Tekken and mk are really showing what first party non licensed fighters can do in sales and capcom needs to catch up in those figures. Once they get it together on how to plan out such projects then sure do whatever crossovers because they're all hype.

Capcom vs capcom would be a better project for brand building and getting their project planning together. Itd definitely be the kind of roster thatd allow tons of modes and mini games and collectathon grinding to draw in them big single player dollars. If smash can do it then why. Ot capcom? Their list of characters is just as solid as nintendo to start making their own brand celebrating fighter series.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really think Capcom should do their own thing for once before they decide to be at the whims of another license holder once again.
Yep. While Nintendo is certainly easier to work with than Marvel, at this point I'd prefer Capcom work on just making a Capcom fighter without the company crossover aspect.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
If it came to it, I'd honestly prefer if Capcom made a new fighting game using a Nintendo property (not unlike Bamco got Project Soul to do Pokken) than another crossover fighting game.

Even better if such allowed them to be a bit more experimental, rather than just a Ninty IP on a Street Fighter base. Gimme something like a Cyberbots/Tech Romancer style mech battle game using Star Fox characters. Or a Zelda 3D fighter that perhaps cites a bit of Plasma Sword. Go nuts. Be unique. It may help endear you to such an audience.

ANYTHING that's just not just Street Fighter (or Marvel) style, again.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly love to see a sega vs capcom

Akira vs Ryu

Axel vs Ken

Sonic vs Megaman

Shou Amabame vs Leon

Tillis vs Regina

Beat vs Frank West

Would be siiiiiick

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Itd be cool but Nintendo doesn't have a reason to reach down to help up capcom whose fg launch record as of late is abysmal.

More downside than upside for Nintendoand I say that as a bigger than average capcom fan fairly well versed in fighting games and ability

Honestly I think capcom is better off doing their own thing. They can also patch it willy nilly and have as many idiosyncrasies as they want this way

BordyDogue

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
We need a followup to Project X Zone but make it an actual fighting game instead

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Came into this thread thinking it was about Capcom's current relationship with the Switch.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have a MvC-style fighting game with Capcom characters only, with a nice comic-book-esque visual style.

Henchman

Mar 10, 2019
It sounds nice on the paper but what style of fighting game would it be ? Just adding Capcom characters to smash would be boring while for a "traditional" Capcom fighting game that would just be a waste (personal opinion) since they have already so much fan favorites characters they could use for a crossover (gimme another Rival School). Honestly i just want another capcom vs SNK like the good old days.
If Capcom can deliver and not fuck it up like Infinite, then go for it.
While i understand why people are trashing MvC: I (the chun-li presentation, imposed characters, etc...) it's still has one of the best gameplay around and can honestly compete with DBFZ.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
They had a hard time selling Marvel vs Capcom, even with the Marvel license beeing at an all time high, succeeding with a Capcom only fighting game won't be easy. It really needs to be an excellent game, because besides MH, RE, SF and DMC they let most of their IPs wither. Mega Man still has a bit oft cult classic status but that's about it.

As for a crossover with Nintendo, PowerStone as a foundation would be interesting.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They had a hard time selling Marvel vs Capcom, even with the Marvel license beeing at an all time high, succeeding with a Capcom only fighting game won't be easy. It really needs to be an excellent game, because besides MH, RE, SF and DMC they let most of their IPs wither. Mega Man still has a bit oft cult classic status but that's about it.

As for a crossover with Nintendo, PowerStone as a foundation would be interesting.
To be fair, the failure of MvCI was more of the quality of the game itself & Marvel micro-managing everything. The fact that the game, in the state that it was, sold over 1.4 million units says a lot. With that being said, you aren't wrong about the state of Capcom's own franchises.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
To be fair, the failure of MvCI was more of the quality of the game itself & Marvel micro-managing everything. The fact that the game, in the state that it was, sold over 1.4 million units says a lot. With that being said, you aren't wrong about the state of Capcom's own franchises.

Shipment numbers don't look catastrophic (Marvel license helped of course), but it really underperformed at retail and was sold at bargain bin prices shortly after launch.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Forget some kind of exclusive title from Capcom for Switch. That boat already departed.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Some might even say that The Time has come and so have I...

OP
OP

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019

PowerStone was really fun. I would be down for a play style like that with a Nintendo/Capcom mashup of characters.

The game should probably be something different from Street Fighter controls, and obviously it can't be the same as Smash Bros.