• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
The news is from last week, but I didn't see any thread here, so please lock if old.

Continuing its strategy of "expand the number of people who have access to Nintendo IP" which already includes Mobile, Theme Parks and Video content, Nintendo will produce and sell character goods through it's recently acquired company "Nintendo Sales Co., Ltd." (formerly known as JESNET).

Nintendo Sales Co., Ltd already produces and sell accessories for Nintendo systems, including themed ones based on IP like Mario, Zelda, Splatoon and Pokémon. But now it will produce character goods for the everyday use.

The first products are from the "Super Mario Travel" series:

m0Hrnpd.png

pkJ82QX.jpg

Items include pillows, bags and passport holders (more items and photos in the source link):

e10BkUY.jpg

dkc22TG.jpg

ND3SBVg.jpg

9f6jhjr.png

The items are already available in japanese stores and will be available soon through theMy Nintendo Storewebsite (Update:available now).

Source: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/art...27.431567609.1532385973-1801775886.1466609531

Last edited:

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow! Just the other day I was wishing for Nintendo to get into the character goods business.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it's finally become a character goods company...
I am sort of surprised they haven't already been doing it.

Guess they had been partnering with other companies for this in the past. But it makes sense to take out the middle man and just make your own merchandise.

I would certainly consider buying a power-up mushroom pillow, if it is actually made by Nintendo. I expect Sanrio level quality, no less.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They should have been doing this for years for how popular their IP's are, but better late than never.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a smart decision considering they'll have a theme park presence soon. Kicking off their own product line is another great way to continue spreading their brand.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dang, I was shown those pictures the other week, but I didn't realize they were sold straight from Nintendo.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is a very good idea. And after Mario, I can see Zelda, Splatoon, etc. getting merchandise as well.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could have done this before I went on holiday, I would have been amazing strutting my stuff on the street of Paris and Barcelona and Granada.

The ladies would have been swooning at my feet.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how Nintendo has only recently realized they were sitting on a gold mine with their IP.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they did, but it was made for license with other companies around the world. Here they're doing this by their own with their acquired company.

No I understand, but they could've cut out the middle man a long ago. Back during the Wii era would've been prime.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Did they not do this before? I could have sworn I've seen Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, etc. themed stuff over the years

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they not do this before? I could have sworn I've seen Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, etc. themed stuff over the years

In their own? No. Those things were made by other companies in license agreements. Here it's Nintendo doing it by themselves.

No I understand, but they could've cut out the middle man a long ago. Back during the Wii era would've been prime.

Ah, I see. Yeah, it would get a boom. But with Swtich I think that it's a good time as well for this.

OP
OP
Marufuku

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
These are some of the themed video game accessories sold by Nintendo Sales Co., Ltd:

Pokémon Multi Pouch for Nintendo 2DS XL:

7UiwxsN.jpg

Zelda Multi Pouch for Nintendo Switch:

Czghh83.jpg

ARMS Multi Pouch for Nintendo Switch:

FRK5Jte.jpg

Mario Kart Multi Pouch for Nintendo Switch:

xzOguzZ.jpg

Splatoon All in Box for Nintendo Switch:

PbXuyvg.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I mean, they did, but it was made for license with other companies around the world. Here they're doing this by their own with their acquired company.
Smart ass idea. I have been thinking and lowkey saying for a while that Ninty needs in-house groups to make non-gaming products (using their gaming characters or not) and this is a nice development to see.

Some of these products look cool but a few of 'em are too busy for my tastes. Excited to see what else they end up making!

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That yoshi eye mask and chain chomp luggage tag...they're so minor but so cute

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Love to see more of this sort of thing from them and offered through their website. Really wish they had a site for all the things they sell in their NY store, that would make my day.