• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
GameCube controller is the one of the most beautiful pieces of electronics.

We'll be using it for every subsequent Smash Bros. title, I imagine.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Maybe Nintendo will try to get these controllers spread wide enough and starts finally releasing those Gamecube games.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Not a Smash guy, but I love the gamecube controller. Maybe the most comfortable controller ever(for my hands, anyway). Something about the L/R buttons was just so comfy haha. Wish there was a modern version that let me play most games with, but it would need some changes to adapt to today's standards. Mostly a second "Z" button to account for L1, and replacing the c-stick with a second analog one...but then again, I don't know if the controller would stop being so damn comfy if it had a second stick. Still, a guy can dream of an ideal world where there's a controller with the same comfort as the gamecube one but all the functionality of the modern ones right haha?

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017
These things are still available for pretty cheap in the UK (they were never out of stock either). I assume they are compatible US systems too since it's just hardware.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm a little disappointed by the fact that it doesn't have other buttons in the middle so i'm assuming you can't use it for other games or it will be limited just like if you attach a gamecube controller on your Switch right now.

And most importantly still no ZL button. Why? I get they want to keep it like the original but man, just add one button and make it a fully functional controller for all games.

Like this could have been a very cool and cheap way to get a decent d-pad for many classic games.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Erm did you ever use the Gamecube d-pad? It's tiny, stiff and isn't really good for anything.

Last time i touched a Gamecube controller was like 15 years ago, and i didn't have one so just played randomly with friends.

Is it Gameboy level of stiffness? cause i liked that one much more than Pro Controller's d-pad that goes all over the place.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe there's so many people stanning the Gamecube Controller. Apart from the button layout it's dreadful - and even then the Baby B is a nightmare for 2D games.

That being said I played Smash WiiU with the Wiimote so eh.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Man, this is kinda funny how a 2001 era controller is still relevant in 2018.
I just dont understand tho atm. Okay lets face it, the pro controllers for both wii and wiiu where pretty much garbage, so i totally understand the necessity of the gc controller then. But the opposite is true for the switch pro controller, its one of the most comfortable controllers i have ever played. What is the use for it in 2018 with a good gamepad available to the playerbase?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just dont understand tho atm. Okay lets face it, the pro controllers for both wii and wiiu where pretty much garbage, so i totally understand the necessity of the gc controller then. But the opposite is true for the switch pro controller, its one of the most comfortable controllers i have ever played. What is the use for it in 2018 with a good gamepad available to the playerbase?

The Switch Pro controller is great but for Smash i don't find the shoulder buttons to be anywhere near as comfortable as the GameCube controller. Plus the analogue stick on the GameCube is much tighter. I feel like if i played Smash too long with the Switch Pro controller the analogue would just wear itself out and eventually come off.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
Nostalgia always feels better.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it works so well with Smash because most attacks are centered around the A button. It was huge on the GCN and now I actually get confused when i use any other controller for Smash.

I tried using the WiiU pro controllers and i'd get confused which button I was pressing. Dumb but true.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The GC Controller is still popular because the Wiimote was bad for playing Smash, so it managed to last two whole Smash "gens" and then people got too used to it.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
wzdhp9i8oo311.jpg

Not mine. But lol this is great

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna get that new controller. Maybe a second adapter as well. They could go a bit wild and release multiple colors, like the orange one that I wanted to get back in the day but never did. Oh well, at least new controllers get made at all.

Meanwhile, the only DS3 controllers I'm able to find are fake ones, that look and are packaged just like the real deal. Already got screwed like that by a local shop as well, for full price. Damn you Sony.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite console controller of all time outside of the SNES so so happy with this!

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I assume this time they'll make enough of them

They didn't make enough of them for Smashh WIi U, NES classics, or SNES classics (they're getting better though). They also heavily pushed Amiibos and never stocked them properly (They did over stock Animal Crossing ones however)

Expect a lack of them on launch, but maybe 3-6 months down the line to be on store shelves.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
The Switch Pro controller is great but for Smash i don't find the shoulder buttons to be anywhere near as comfortable as the GameCube controller. Plus the analogue stick on the GameCube is much tighter. I feel like if i played Smash too long with the Switch Pro controller the analogue would just wear itself out and eventually come off.
thats probably never going to happen, if that was the case we would have seen signs on the internet by now just like with the dual shock 4.

Nostalgia always feels better.
But nostalgia doesnt automatically make something better. I loved sonic adventure 2 back in the day, but i know that if i would play it today it would probably not be the same game i remembered. And SA2 is not an exception in this i think

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Managed to snag the last adapater GS had in stock in my area this past weekend. Guess I'll just wait for the new controller instead of shelling out for the Wii U re-issue. (Though I like how the Smash logo looks on that one better)

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to snag the last adapater GS had in stock in my area this past weekend. Guess I'll just wait for the new controller instead of shelling out for the Wii U re-issue. (Though I like how the Smash logo looks on that one better)
Are they releasing Gamecube controllers themselves again, or just that thirdparty licensed one?

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Such a weird move.

Why not just re release GameCube controllers with wireless / USB connectors?

Oct 27, 2017
I already have 4 GCN controllers and the adapter, however I'm still excited about this.
New official controllers means I have an easy source of parts to restore my Wavebirds!
I've been thinking about buying new analog sticks for mine, and now.i don't have to go with sketchy eBay ones.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I expect the new controllers to be built like the last batch, and not be as nice as the original gcn pads again.
The shoulder buttons are probably going to suck again

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't an issue to switch to the Wii U pro controller last gen. I honestly preferred it. Ended up selling my adapter after only a few uses. Nostalgia be damned.

JordanKZ

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that the GameCube controller is perfect, I don't think anyone will say that. But it is perfect for Smash Brothers.

The buttons are perfectly raised for fast inputs, unlike the Switch Pro controller.
The analog is extremely tight, with a hex gate, perfect for Smash Brothers.
The C-Stick is just the right size and can be flicked quickly.
Not to mention Nintendo doesn't actually have a controller with analog triggers anymore.