• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Gamecube controller imo was when Nintendo released a white one for Brawl to match Wii's color, without Smash branding, with a white cord that was extra long.

pa.125182.2.jpg

Imported one from Japan and love it to pieces.

The Smash 4 ones are basically the same as this run, except for the color and branding. They have the longer cord too.

Oct 27, 2017
Still weird to me this is December. Hopefully it doesn't slip to 2019.

I would have thought September to pair with onljne or October like Odyssey. Still hyped tho!

Magicraft

Dec 1, 2017
I still have the first version of the adapter, but this one looks way cooler with the Nintendo logo instead of the big WiiU logo that nobody recognizes lmao. Now if they will only release the adapter with 1 USB instead of 2...

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember having an adapter pre ordered for Wii u and cancelled when I found out there was a bundle which I pre ordered. Then I got 8 controllers in total and realized after that the adapter only supports 4 players. I was so sad. I can finally rectify this.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The photo in the OP is the actual GCN adapter for the Switch. It requires two ports.

People will just have to grab a USB hub for 2 adapters and/or LAN adapter.
It's the EXACT same adapter as the Wii U.

No, you can use the two USB ports, you just won't have rumble for any. One USB cable is for data, the other is for rumble.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Wii U adapter, but I might pick one of these up for the occasional 8 player Smash, and so I can stop dragging it between my living room and bedroom to use with my PC. I'll definitely get a controller this go-round, though; the one flawless controller I had left at the Wii U release has since lost the rubber on the stick.

That's cool, I've never tried them but I've read they can differ a bit from the original GCN controllers! This one was still pure GCN, love the color too.
The minute differences were actually present in the white Japan controller release as well. The Smash branded ones are identical to those in all but logo (there was a white version of those too but I believe they were Japan exclusive, just like the ones released in the Brawl era).

So if you want another one of that quality, the Smash controller is the same thing (assuming they haven't changed it since 4 years ago).

JaMarco

Jan 14, 2018
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Best Gamecube controller imo was when Nintendo released a white one for Brawl to match Wii's color, without Smash branding, with a white cord that was extra long.

pa.125182.2.jpg

Imported one from Japan and love it to pieces.
Same here, mine still works like a charm to this day.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Probably a dumb question, but if I buy one of these I can use my original, 12+ year old GameCube controller on the Switch?

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Not too complain but I was hoping they would release Gamecube themed joycon for Smash. Have Gamecube purple and orange as the dual colors with the same button schemes as the GCN controller. Oh well.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
These adapters are the best way to use Gamecube controllers with Dolphin. Glad to see Nintendo is producing more.

Also the Wii U Mayflash adapter I used a year or so ago had noticeable input lag of 1-2 frames compared to the Nintendo adapter, even in Wii U mode. Had an opportunity to test both at the same time one day.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just keep using my Wii U Gamecube adapter, but I might pick up a new controller this time around. My original GameCube ones aren't in super bad shape or anything, though the analog stick on one is a bit loose. It's mostly just a "why not?" sort of purchase.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Still have the Wii U adapter. As much as I hate how it looks, it beats having to buy new controllers.

Ever since Melee the gamecube controller has been standard for all smash games. I'd never use anything else. I even made sure to buy the special screwdriver you need to open up Gamecube controllers because these things are really prone to getting gunk caught in the buttons. I usually do a quick clean up of my controllers with isopropyl alcohol and keep them all feeling responsive.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
It's the EXACT same adapter as the Wii U.

No, you can use the two USB ports, you just won't have rumble for any. One USB cable is for data, the other is for rumble.

I know?

I was just strictly talking about if you want all the features, but I guess I could have made that more clear.

That's cool, I've never tried them but I've read they can differ a bit from the original GCN controllers! This one was still pure GCN, love the color too.

The Smash Bros Black/White (Japan only) ones and the Wii GCN controllers all felt "different" to me than the original run of GC controllers. I got adjusted fine but I know some competitive players hated the feel. I mostly noticed it in the shoulder buttons.

Probably, haven't tried that particular model myself.