• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
00001148_15.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is coming to Switch this December, and it will support a variety of controller options, including the GameCube controller--the preferred gamepad of many Smash Bros. players. Nintendo confirmed during E3 2018 that Wii U's GameCube Controller Adapter will be compatible with Ultimate, but if you don't have one of those laying around, you'll be able to pick up a new one at launch.

During a hands-on session with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, a Nintendo representative said that a new GameCube controller adapter will be released alongside the game, and it'll retail for $20. Nintendo also confirmed it will offer a new line of Smash-branded GameCube controllers later this year, although pricing details for those have yet to be announced.

Source: GameSpot, Nintendo's Japanese website (for the photo)

UPDATE: The GameCube controller will cost $30 (special thanks to Wario64 for finding this on Amazon).

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, i'm probably late as hell on this, but there will be no way to play with an adapter dockless right ?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
The mayflash one is better anyway ... it has a flip so you can use it on pokken on wiiu and on pc

The Mayflash ones had some quality issues. Ran into so many of them failing during tournament use that most TOs I know just stick with official ones. :(

The Mayflash ones I had were great but just thought I'd mention that quality seems to vary.

Wow, i'm probably late as hell on this, but there will be no way to play with an adapter dockless right ?

https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-2-Pac...id=1528858427&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+c+to+type+a

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see they're selling more, although it's a bummer that you won't be able to use 8 Gamecube controllers with rumble since there are only 2 USB slots on the dock

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
I have a third party adapter that works flawlessly for my Wii U because i could not find a licensed one anywhere thats price wasnt shot the hell up. Hopefully it works for switch too lol.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is safe to say that there will never be a smash game on a console that will not have gamecube controller support

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
It's what people are used to. That being said, the one advantage that it had previously was being the only wired option for Smash on Wii U, but since the Pro Controller on Switch can be toggled into a wired mode, I wonder if we might see a split in controller usage as a result.

Yeah, I wanted to use Wii U Pro controller for tournaments but wireless interference at tourneys is a real thing so I didn't end up doing it and stuck with GCN.

I'll likely give Switch Pro a go.

Jan 18, 2018
Man, this is kinda funny how a 2001 era controller is still relevant in 2018.

Theres an interview with Miyamoto talking about how the GC controller is the definitive one for the end of time.

He was right.

I'm happy there will be more new GC controllers. The more the merrier.

Just wish they added ZR

RIP people selling the adapter for $100+

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
For those concerned about stock, its unlikely to be as much as a problem this time because 3rd party alternatives already exist and function the exact same.

You could get a USB-C to USB Adapater. Only 1 of the USB's need to be plugged in for the controller adapter to work. The other is for Rumble and Wavebird support.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Mayflash adapter works great, I'm just waiting for that new round of controllers.

You could get a USB-C to USB Adapater. Only 1 of the USB's need to be plugged in for the controller adapter to work. The other is for Rumble and Wavebird support.

Is the second port required for the WaveBird? I swear I've used one fine using just one USB port.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I found a Wii U adapter last year and almost bought it.
But considering I had no use for it, I didn't.

Kayo Police

Nov 4, 2017
And quite a few ERA posters were telling me that the GC controller is the worst controller ever.

Outside of the Wii U Pro, the GC controller is my go to controller to use on my pc, ps4, etc etc.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The Mayflash ones had some quality issues. Ran into so many of them failing during tournament use that most TOs I know just stick with official ones. :(

The Mayflash ones I had were great but just thought I'd mention that quality seems to vary.

Weird.

Never had any problem with mine and there were used almost weekly even today

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is cool and I still have mine from Wii U, although I think the Pro Controller will suffice.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, latency is key. Wireless will never be able to match wired I don't think.

latency is less the problem with using wireless controllers in tournaments (the difference in practice is extremely little and unlikely to make any meaningful impact in the results of a game) - the much bigger issue is you would get lots of wireless interference trying to use hundreds of wireless controllers in the confines of a convention hall

Why can't they just make them wireless.

Would kill for a wireless GameCube pro controller for the Switch.

they really ought to make a new run of wavebirds

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should have stayed with the gamecube controller the same way playstation stayed with the dual shock. Obviously they would have made upgrades over time.

Oct 27, 2017
latency is less the problem with using wireless controllers in tournaments (the difference in practice is extremely little and unlikely to make any meaningful impact in the results of a game) - the much bigger issue is you would get lots of wireless interference trying to use hundreds of wireless controllers in the confines of a convention hall

Yeah that makes sense too, it's like trying to get a signal at a sporting event when everyone is on their cell phone.

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered I don't follow it much did they never just make a wireless version since ppl love it so much? Would it ruin it somehow

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I got one on launch day! I was one of the lucky few.
Same here. I could've even gotten one of those new controllers made for Smash 4, but I used my old ones with the adapter.

I will get a new controller this time, though. I feel that after 15 years I could lay my weapon of choice to its well-deserved rest and use it for anything but Smash. Any news on how much the new GC controllers will cost this time around?

I always wondered I don't follow it much did they never just make a wireless version since ppl love it so much? Would it ruin it somehow
That's the thing you'd want to get. Although it could have latency, dunno:
UbpvLkS.jpg

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So wait, in order to play 8 player smash with two of these, I need to hook them up to the two USB slots on the dock, and then hook the power adapters into a USB power adapter. That's going to look Frankenstein as hell.

Nov 27, 2017
California
gamecube adapters x pokeball plus will be the hottest items this winter, better pre order while you can
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

fun fact, I sold my gamecube adapter for about $80 and then waited 2 months for them to restock it, no regrets