• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

We would like to inform you that the handling of credit cards and transportation e-money in the Nintendo eShop on the Nintendo 3DS series and Wii U will be terminated at 9:00 a.m. on January 18, 2022 (Tuesday). After the termination, you will no longer be able to add balances using credit cards and transportation e-money from the Nintendo 3DS series and Wii U.

Just announced. Will no longer accept credit / debit cards at the eShop starting January 18, 2022.

You will still be able to add credit via prepaid eShop cards and by linking your NNID with Nintendo Switch and adding funds from there.

It's very likely were still years away from the eShop completly closing; just like how it happened with the Wii Shop Channel, this is a process that's going to take years, removing functionality one at a time.

Last edited:

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Um... Effective immediately?

Edit: oh boy got worried there for a second. Need to buy 1080 and Wave Race (among others).

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, was preparing for this. Been hoarding a lot of eshop vouchers from when they would go on sale.

I've been prepping my multiple copies of Pokemon games over the DS gens/Virtual Consoe to get them over to the Bank as well.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck., here we go again.

So...I can enter eshop credit still from Switch and then spend it on 3ds?

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
i don't think disabling credit cards is a sign of starting a shutdown, especially when they had a bunch of security issues stemming from the eShop and NNID with saved payment info

If eShop cards are allowed and you can use balance from the switch still then it'll be fine for a while longer, prob 2023/24

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Uh.....that's pretty bad. Wii U I expected soon but the 3DS was still getting new releases a couple years ago and was by all accounts fairly successful. This is also the only way to access a lot of legacy content without paying out the ass. Hopefully eShop cards will still be in print for a while at least.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
That seems…oddly soon for the 3DS. Like, they had the New 2DS XL on store shelves and were even supporting it with new software releases into, like, 2019.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Hopefully the cross-console PayPal method still works (adding funds on Switch through PayPal, and then with the same account on Wii U and 3DS, make your purchases)

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Guess I need to swipe up whatever was left on my wishlist now, then.

Feels too soon on 3DS in particular, but I'm not in control of how long these things stay around.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think disabling credit cards is a sign of starting a shutdown, especially when they had a bunch of security issues stemming from the eShop and NNID with saved payment info
That's exactly how it started for Wii. And I agree it's going to take a couple years until it shutdowns completly, but this definitely marks the start of that process.

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
This is a reminder that you can purchase just about every Metroid game from the Wii U eShop

Really sad to see this go :(

Oct 27, 2017
This seems very very fast. The 3DS had only been officially discontinued just last year.

So I guess this means certain game prices are about to go crazy stupid? Just like the PS3 shutdown scare.

edit: linking accounts and adding funds on the Switch will still allow purchases?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah folks are pointing out this is ONLY ending support for credit cards. If eShop cards still work (in the Wii U and 3DS stores or at least via your Nintendo Account/NNID wallet via Switch or whatever), then no need to panic yet.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, gonna start getting games I want for both systems. There are a ton of VC games I want on Wii U in prricular.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
That's exactly how it started for Wii. And I agree it's going to take a couple years until it shutdowns completly, but this definitely marks the start of that process.

but for wii you couldn't add wii points AT ALL. here you can still use the Switch, credit card on the website to buy 3DS games, and eShop cards to buy from 3DS. that's a big difference.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who's gonna do the inevitable "Underrated games to download" thread?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I still need to buy a lot of stuff on the Wii U shop. 3DS I think I just need to buy one more pokemon game

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The eShop will most likely be up for some time longer since they don't seem mention the service itself shutting down. I believe the wallet is universal since it's all under one Nintendo account so if you've got a 3DS/Wii U linked to one then you can probably still buy through adding funds onto your account instead, you just won't be able to do so through your 3DS/Wii U. I'm guessing they don't want to deal with security upkeep on obsolete platforms given there was a few stories from some time ago about NNID accounts being compromised in other leaks.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that hacking a Wii u requires a DS game purchased from the eShop. Get it while you still can.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
thank you for the info , i am still enjoying my backlog 3DS games and still need to buy some games if the publisher decides to have them on sale