• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I thought we were past all this, come on Nintendo you finally get your groove back and now you want to make people prance around in their living rooms again?

No thanks, but I'm sure there will be appeal somewhere, problem is we've seen it all before and got bored.
You haven't even seen the game yet so who knows if we've seen this all before.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Considering some of the comments from insiders, I have no idea what to expect from the game. It looks like something akin to Wii Fit and 1,2 Switch but the comments seems to imply there is more to it that go beyond a compilation of mini-games.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Many of us are guessing it will have a big online component. Maybe like city versus city, maybe battle Royale style, who knows.
I'm hoping that's what they're trying to show. Having a battle royale or something would be an easy way to get a group of people to play. Once you lose, just give the halo and leg strap to next person and join the next royale. That'd be pretty dope

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the disdain in the last couple posts. Nintendo is killing it with the traditional hardcore crowd, let the casual group have something. And it might actually be good.
Considering how folk reacted to stuff like Labo or Kinect games, it's not surprising. Dedicated gamers online always get salty if there's a more casual game or accessory being made that isn't for them. It's not as if they're not making plenty of core games so I never understood why people get all hot and bothered by stuff like this

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how folk reacted to stuff like Labo or Kinect games, it's not surprising. Dedicated gamers online always get salty if there's a more casual game or accessory being made that isn't for them. It's not as if they're not making plenty of core games so I never understood why people get all hot and bothered by stuff like this
You're right, it's not really surprising, just disappointing. Just chill people, it's not the end of the world if something doesn't suit your tastes.

Oct 26, 2017
You're right, it's not really surprising, just disappointing. Just chill people, it's not the end of the world if something doesn't suit your tastes.
Exactly. Plenty of core games have come out that I couldn't get into or thought were flat out bad and there are some more casual games that have appealed to me, such as BrainAge or Wii Sports Resort, and vice versa. I think if folk were more open minded to branch out from their usual niches, there would be less vitriol towards these sort of games

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
So you know without seeing the game that everyone is already bored of the game? That's impressive.

I actually wasn't referrring to the game but rather the whole motion-gaming experience, like I say I'm sure there's demand for it but I'm cynical. If it turns out to be something incredible then I'll eat my words, but I stand by what I've said, we've seen it before. Labo was more interesting imo.

They would've put it in the recent direct if they really thought it was mind-blowing.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Why is Nintendo so obsessed with health lol

Because everyone thinks the average gamer sits on a couch with a controller and enough pizza to feed Italy. I think it's good that they think about this kind of stuff, someone has to get people off their backsides, do I think it will help? For a handful of people yeah, for the majority I can't see it.

Oct 26, 2017
I actually wasn't referrring to the game but rather the whole motion-gaming experience, like I say I'm sure there's demand for it but I'm cynical. If it turns out to be something incredible then I'll eat my words, but I stand by what I've said, we've seen it before. Labo was more interesting imo.

They would've put it in the recent direct if they really thought it was mind-blowing.
If they put in in the recent Direct, gamers would've been outraged, regardless it it was amazing or not

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Now that I know Divinity doesn't have local co-op, whatever the heck they just showed us is my favorite switch announcement this week.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
It's laughable to think that the joy-cons which have drift-issues with casual use would sustain this kind of intense rattle and shaking:

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Now that I know Divinity doesn't have local co-op, whatever the heck they just showed us is my favorite switch announcement this week.

It's third for me after Doom 64 and that ghost Pokemon that lives inside a teapot.

It's laughable to think that the joy-cons which have drift-issues with casual use would sustain this kind of intense rattle and shaking

Isn't drift caused by debris accumulating around the stick inside the shell? I don't think this kind of use will affect that.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people care that Nintendo is continuing to make their weird side games? They don't comprise even 10% of their output anymore compared to the Wii days so its not even a development drain. It's confusing to see grown adults acting like children over this.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering some of the comments from insiders, I have no idea what to expect from the game. It looks like something akin to Wii Fit and 1,2 Switch but the comments seems to imply there is more to it that go beyond a compilation of mini-games.
Maybe something like Wii Sports Resort? A compilation of minigames with lots of depth, which can be enjoyed even by the hardcored crowd.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing the game(s) are not demoable yet, otherwise I'm pretty sure they would've shown it in the direct, probably didn't want to delay it for another week or so.
Nah, Nintendo tends to keep their more weird experimental blue ocean stuff outside of Directs. I think they're well aware of the reception they'd receive if they were shown off in them

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Hang on a minute, so it can be cleaned or it causes permanent damage? The replacement kits seem to contain a replacement analog stick.

I'm not sure. I think some of the debris is usually from wear and tear on a component that interlocks with the stick inside the case? I've heard that opening them up and cleaning the area around the stick sometimes works as a temporary fix but the drift usually comes back eventually.

Tbh, my right joy-con was still under warranty when it happened to me so I just sent it back to Nintendo and they sent me a replacement.

cormano91939

Banned
Sep 4, 2019
This is as Nintendo as anything Nintendo has ever done. They've been doing this kind of stuff since the NES era, even earlier.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Nintendo sure LOVES to fill us with plastic accesories (and more recently with cardboard) but color me interested to see what the heck this will be. Pretty sure a new Fit game

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly even if this isn't for me, I hope the new IP has creative characters, music and world. Like Splatoon and ARMS, unlike Wii Fit and Wii Sports

Like it's possible to appeal to casual players with those aspects, so I'm hoping we don't just get the bare minimum there.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those commercials where it's impossible to watch without laughing.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wii Fit series has sold 40+ million copies and is (according to Wikipedia) at least in the top 50 best selling series of all time.

Clearly a dead-end venture.

I don't know if I stated the contrary though. I mean, health is good and lucrative but It doesn't seem in line with Nintendo strong points for me. At least for me. I can understand Labo, amiibos and so on though.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think largely the problem is once fitness fads fizzle out ... consumers tend to not come back. The whole "you can exercise with video games!!!!" craze circa 2008 I think largely spent a lot of that capital. We'll see if a pilates ring instead of a Kinect camera or Wiimotes or balance board can really change that, the software would have to be more than just "mini-games compilation!" I think.

Things like 15 Minute Abs and resistance ropes that you would tie to doorknobs were all the rage in the 80s and 90s, but not many people utilize that anymore. Once people move on from a fitness fad, they tend not to go backwards.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't really feel confident that it's implementation would be inline with current standards. But let's wait and see, Nintendo is on a role so hoping for the best.

I mean they have released a number of major online games in the past few years. Nintendo not knowing how to do online is not really a thing anymore.

They choose to do some strange and archaic things like do voice chat through an app but they clearly understand how to develop games that leverage online multiplayer.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely Switch Fit. They're doing the bridge exercise among other ones. Day one if so.

Jan 20, 2019
I just re-watched this, and still don't fully understand what's going on here. But whatever this is, it's such an out-there/blue ocean/left field kind of move that I absolutely want to know more! Classic Nintendo.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I have no idea what it is...outside being a fitness device of sorts...
Looks like a resistance device of some sort but shaped in a giant circle. Never used anything like it outside of some resistance bands when working out. Might check it out depends how well it works.

That commercial though was very enjoyable to watch for some reason lol

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people care that Nintendo is continuing to make their weird side games? They don't comprise even 10% of their output anymore compared to the Wii days so its not even a development drain. It's confusing to see grown adults acting like children over this.
think because there was a report the Labo team was 4 seconds from pushing the "port to switch" button for TTYD, Eternal Darkness, and HD Zelda twins, before Miyamoto flipped a table, revealing cardboard underneath and said, "get to work"

again, reportedly

Status
Not open for further replies.