• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They are spending so much money in something they can't win... or they will end torrents?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there seems to be a very prevalent mindset that corporations should have no right to protect their IP, because it stops us from doing whatever we want.
yep. how anyone can object going after piracy websites is quite mind boggling.
edit: and we have people here cheering for how nothing can be done about piracy with winky emojis

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yikes. Some definite side eye at some of the comments in here. I'm sure none of you are pirates. Winky emoji.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
"But my homebrew"! I never understood that tbh when there are a bajillion desktop and ultra-portable PCs out there than can run anything you want.

They are spending so much money in something they can't win... or they will end torrents?

Even if there is only a slight decrease in the number of pirated material that will end up in the hands of people, that's still a "win".

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
How piracy website has anything to do with legit homebrew šŸ¤”

Nintendo would likely proclaim there's no such thing as "legit homebrew". They have such a binary lens on such matters.

Don't think it stops with websites that might be named "PIRATESWITCHGAMES.CO.UK" or something as obvious. They'll soon go after any means of circumvention, the same way a decade or so ago that Swap Magic discs were targeted during the PS2 days as "piracy devices" in the US. Swap Magic was one of the most popular region bypassing devices the system had, but that didn't matter.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I'd assume anyone willing to put in the effort to hack the Switch for Piracy reasons, won't have much problem manoeuvring their way around this small roadblock (Proxy, VPN). If it's specific websites, more will pop up in their place. Things like this only tell more people that it's possible and being done.

People will find a way.

I mean good for them for winning their little legal battle, but if this is a big thing for them they need to provide incentives for less people to pirate. Storefronts like Steam offer good value for money to the point that piracy still exists, but is minimal in the grand scheme of things. Nintendo can certainly do better here.

Streaming services severely reduced the amount of piracy in other media. Great value and convenience trump piracy. Unfortunately things become less lucrative for the creators in the process.

None of this is ideal, I'm not supporting piracy at all, but you won't beat it through the legal system.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not against Nintendo fighting piracy but I wish they did a better job of distributing their old games.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How piracy website has anything to do with legit homebrew šŸ¤”
The same way that Nintendo sees all emulators as piracy, or how they filed DMCA claims against Youtubers like MVG who talk about legit homebrew under the guise of it being piracy.

I don't really care that much if this means Switch roms get taken down. I do care about the potential for this to be abused.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
edit: and we have people here cheering for how nothing can be done about piracy with winky emojis

I don't think anyone has an issue with them going after websites that specifically enable and encourage piracy, but if that cull also shuts down sites that allow homebrew, then that can kind of suck for people interesting in legal homebrew

If someone wants to dump their SNES or GameCube game ROMS onto a PC and then upload them to their Switch, why is that inherently bad/evil, and how does it hurt Nintendo?

How is that piracy? Which begs the questions, why should we celebrate people having a harder time doing what they want with their legally owned games on their legally owned hardware?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Storefronts like Steam offer good value for money to the point that piracy still exists, but is minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry, imo this is nonsense. PC piracy is most likely far larger a problem than any console piracy. So much so that devs/publishers have had to hire a company (Denuvo) to have extra DRM in their games.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nintendo would likely proclaim there's no such thing as "legit homebrew". They have such a binary lens on such matters.

Don't think it stops with websites that might be named "PIRATESWITCHGAMES.CO.UK" or something as obvious. They'll soon go after any means of circumvention, the same way a decade or so ago that Swap Magic discs were targeted during the PS2 days as "piracy devices" in the US. Swap Magic was one of the most popular region bypassing devices the system had, but that didn't matter.

Of course, all platform holders, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo do not want you modifying their hardware for any reason and constantly attempt to keep their hardware locked down, usually via firmware updates. They aren't so much concerned with legitimate home brew as they are concerned that these exploits open a door to piracy. And while there are many people legitimately interested in console modifications for home brew. There are people that will abuse it to commit rampant piracy. It's those people platform holders are concerned about.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The same way that Nintendo sees all emulators as piracy, or how they filed DMCA claims against Youtubers like MVG who talk about legit homebrew under the guise of it being piracy.

Yeah and that was Nintendo being proper scumbags, and yet people still celebrated that as a huge win, when in reality it was Nintendo misusing copyright strikes to enforce their internal policy which isn't actually against the law

I love Nintendo but it's pretty depressing seeing people defend stuff like that. I can put my fondness for their games to one side and call a dick move, a dick move

Not everyone seems to be able to do that

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do.
But for some reason ResetEra is ok about discussing emulators and old roms when it's obvious everyone downloaded and not dumped them.
Because there are legitimate ways to get them, and there are many people who just want to talk about that without every emulator thread being derailed by piracy concern trolling idiots.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

What is 'legit homebrew'? I rarely see anyone showing off some rad Switch mods to make it into a universal remote or control a robot. It's all just downloading stuff illegally.

I'm not against Nintendo fighting piracy but I wish they did a better job of distributing their old games.

What old games are unavailable? Between 3DS/Wii U and NSO?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I don't think anyone has an issue with them going after websites that specifically enable and encourage piracy, but if that cull also shuts down sites that allow homebrew, then that can kind of suck for people interesting in legal homebrew

If someone wants to dump their SNES or GameCube game ROMS onto a PC and then upload them to their Switch, why is that inherently bad/evil, and how does it hurt Nintendo?

How is that piracy? Which begs the questions, why should we celebrate people having a harder time doing what they want with their legally owned games on their legally owned hardware?
Yeah and that was Nintendo being proper scumbags, and yet people still celebrated that as a huge win, when in reality it was Nintendo misusing copyright strikes to enforce their internal policy which isn't actually against the law

I love Nintendo but it's pretty depressing seeing people defend stuff like that. I can put my fondness for their games to one side and call a dick move, a dick move

Not everyone seems to be able to do that

None of this has anything to do with the OP. This was won in a court of law which means that these websites were, at the very least, promoting piracy.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

the tools for hacking are out there. nintendo will never be able to stop them or effectively taken down. anyone who's interested in homebrew, hacking, dumping their games, etc. nintendo would never be able to stop them. to me it looks like they try to bring down or block places where you can simply search for a game's name and download it's rom or iso. that seems understandable (at least to me). right now, a quick google search gives me many guides on how to hack my switch, and i don't think nintendo will be able to stop me from getting to those guides, so i'm not mad at them going after piracy sites because i'm sure me (and anyone else) would have access to that info whenever they want.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I don't really care that much if this means Switch roms get taken down. I do care about the potential for this to be abused.

Nintendo wants to stop the dissemination of information on how to modify Switch hardware, because people can abuse the exploits to commit piracy. Whether or not there are legitimate uses for homebrew is immaterial to Nintendo's concerns. As far as Nintendo is concerned you are not supposed to use your hardware for any purpose they did not intend for it to be used.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of courts... its time to take Nintendo to court in the EU for the Joy-Con issues... maybe then they will fix it for free, as they should.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo wants to stop the dissemination of information on how to modify Switch hardware, because people can abuse the exploits to commit piracy. Whether or not there are legitimate uses for homebrew is immaterial to Nintendo's concerns. As far as Nintendo is concerned you are not supposed to use your hardware for any purpose they did not intend for it to be used.
And they are literally breaking their law to protect that, by abusing the DMCA system for things which are not copyright violations.

Nintendo's internal policies aren't fucking law.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
None of this has anything to do with the OP. This was won in a court of law which means that these websites were, at the very least, promoting piracy.

Thanks, I was replying to the quote I quoted. I was attempting to unboggle a mind

the tools for hacking are out there. nintendo will never be able to stop them or effectively taken down. anyone who's interested in homebrew, hacking, dumping their games, etc. nintendo would never be able to stop them. to me it looks like they try to bring down or block places where you can simply search for a game's name and download it's rom or iso. that seems understandable (at least to me). right now, a quick google search gives me many guides on how to hack my switch, and i don't think nintendo will be able to stop me from getting to those guides, so i'm not mad at them going after piracy sites because i'm sure me (and anyone else) would have access to that info whenever they want.

Yeah, and again, you seemed to reply in a way that lead me to believe you saw this as a very black and white issue, so I was trying to add context

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
What is 'legit homebrew'? I rarely see anyone showing off some rad Switch mods to make it into a universal remote or control a robot. It's all just downloading stuff illegally.

What old games are unavailable? Between 3DS/Wii U and NSO?
Most of Nintendos old catalogue is not available on NSO. Who cares about 3DS and Wii U? These are dead consoles.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo is not the law and they are breaking the law themselves with that I brought a product and I can do what ever I want with it. Tear it to pieces wipe my ass with it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and again, you seemed to reply in a way that lead me to believe you saw this as a very black and white issue, so I was trying to add context
i don't see it as black and white, and i'm sure there are many fine people on era who do use homebrew for legitimate reasons, but i also can't fool myself and not think that the reason the vast majority of people would be interested in hacking their systems would be to pirate games.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Sorry, imo this is nonsense. PC piracy is most likely far larger a problem than any console piracy. So much so that devs/publishers have had to hire a company (Denuvo) to have extra DRM in their games.
No need to apologise. Of course it's more prevalent than console piracy, it's the nature of the beast. My point is that it has to be combated by value and convenience, so PC storefronts are a good example of how to reduce piracy by analysing how they can do things better themselves. They haven't eliminated piracy, no one ever will, but they've helped change the mindset of the majority from "I'll pirate this game", to "I'll buy this game". Considering where PC used to be in regards to piracy, that's no mean feat, I pirated all my PC games in the early 00's.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People installing Android on their Switch, people porting open source games and things like doom mods to their Switch, save game backups, game mods.

You haven't seen any of those?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I'm so glad Nintendo is saving the world from obscure RPG's that did not get localized

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nintendo is not the law and they are breaking the law themselves with that I brought a product and I can do what ever I want with it. Tear it to pieces wipe my ass with it.

And you can? I've hacked my Switch and I've not had the police at my door or Nintendo sending C&D letters or anything like that.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
i don't see it as black and white, and i'm sure there are many fine people on era who do use homebrew for legitimate reasons, but i also can't fool myself and not think that the reason the vast majority of people would be interested in hacking their systems would be to pirate games.

Sure, but it's still against the sites rules to conflate the two, which is something lost on a lot of people

I get that knowing there are people legally playing their GameCube games on Switch must suck when no one expects Nintendo to get around to selling GCN games on Switch for years, if ever

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
you are not entitled to be able to play any old game you want on any modern platform, their lack of availability doesn't justify piracy.
I'm not pirating any Nintendo games. I just think a proper online platform where they can distribute their old games would discourage people from pirating. It's the same logic with streaming services. Why would I pirate when I can just watch movies legally on an affordable platform like Netflix? When Nintendo makes boneheaded decisions like not having a VC on the Switch, they are only encouraging piracy.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Usually they hide behind words like 'preservation' as some kind of twisted moral high ground but they don't have that flimsy excuse here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Censorship is bad.
This effort is useless, they will never learn...
I will reconsider my choice to buy a Switch, I really dont like the fact that they arrived to ask a court to block websites.
Note:
I am against piracy, I am only digital by years so I even support the future that will come, but that behaviour is something to really not be happy... a corporation deciding which sites we should be able to visit. Are you serious?

The effort is to make it hard as possible and give people who intend to pirate software more and more hoops to jump through just to find the information let alone do it. Nintendo aint stupid enough to think this will eliminate piracy. It absolutely wont stop those who are dedicated. In short, this aint really stopping anything.