• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not pirating any Nintendo games. I just think a proper online platform where they can distribute their old games would discourage people from pirating. It's the same logic with streaming services. Why would I pirate when I can just watch movies legally on an affordable platform like Netflix? When Nintendo makes boneheaded decisions like not having a VC on the Switch, they are only encouraging piracy.
i wasn't referring specifically to you, but that's an argument i've heard many times. that if nintendo wants people to stop pirating their games they should offer everything and until then they do they shouldn't go after rom sites

I get that knowing there are people legally playing their GameCube games on Switch must suck when no one expects Nintendo to get around to selling GCN games on Switch for years, if ever
huh? what does that have to do with what i said?

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
i wasn't referring specifically to you, but that's an argument i've heard many times. that if nintendo wants people to stop pirating their games they should offer everything and until then they do they shouldn't go after rom sites

I didn't say they shouldn't go after rom sites. Don't put words in my mouth.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
To all of you that outrage, the Internet has become a lawless wasteland, from bullying to racism, terrorism, trafficking and whatever else. Yes piracy isn't nearly as bad as any of that but we have to acknowledge the fact that faceless illegal acts can't forever go unchecked in the name of internet freedom.
And I'm sorry, but the big tech companies and ISP's have a terrible track record about doing anything positive in that respect, so yes governments have to intervene and force their hands with laws.
It's a new age, we need new laws.

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Era is weird when becoming these kinds of topic
It's like everyone said Homebrew ≠ Piracy. okay, understandable
But when some company takedown Piracy website, It will suddenly = Homebrew crisis.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I'm assuming jealousy is a lot of the reason people are mad at legal homebrew, as I can't think of why else people would be so happy to throw legal homebrew under the bus

There are people with a legal VC treasure trove on their Switch systems, all from games they have legally purchased over the years

Nintendo won't ever rival that

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
To all of you that outrage, the Internet has become a lawless wasteland, from bullying to racism, terrorism, trafficking and whatever else. Yes piracy isn't nearly as bad as any of that but we have to acknowledge the fact that faceless illegal acts can't forever go unchecked in the name of internet freedom.
And I'm sorry, but the big tech companies and ISP's have a terrible track record about doing anything positive in that respect, so yes governments have to intervene and force their hands with laws.
It's a new age, we need new laws.

Wow like for real ?, you are comparing games to terrorism ?, like my dude...

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Usually they hide behind words like 'preservation' as some kind of twisted moral high ground but they don't have that flimsy excuse here.
I don't see people using preservation as an excuse for pirating current stuff, though. It's used more for old games with little or no chance of official re-release.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming jealousy is a lot of the reason people are mad at legal homebrew, as I can't think of why else people would be so happy to throw legal homebrew under the bus
...oh wow, jealousy?
anyone who wants to play their legally obtained roms on the system has the option to hack it and do so, i don't see why there's anything to be jealous of.
that's quite ridiculous actually.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see people using preservation as an excuse for pirating current stuff, though. It's used more for old games with little or no chance of official re-release.
People absolutely used the preservation argument when a certain popular rom site got iced even though their own records showed it largely being used for people downloading popular games that were still being sold.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
...oh wow, jealousy?
anyone who wants to play their legally obtained roms on the system has the option to hack it and do so, i don't see why there's anything to be jealous of.
that's quite ridiculous actually.

Yeah I agree, but then I'm left scratching my head as to why people dislike legal homebrew so much

There must be a reason, and I can't think of a better one than that

Plum

May 31, 2018

There are people with a legal VC treasure trove on their Switch systems, all from games they have legally purchased over the years

Nintendo won't ever rival that

How can you get that legal VC treasure trove?

Honest question, because whilst I've seen plenty of tutorials for homebrew, emulators, etc I've rarely seen any tutorials for how one can take a legally-acquired Gameboy Cartridge (for example) and turn that into a ROM to use on an emulator. It's always just "here's a bunch of ROMs I have, and here's how to play them on x" Would you have to buy like 10+ different devices for all the game consoles that don't use formats that can easily be read by modern-day BD/DVD drives?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Usually they hide behind words like 'preservation' as some kind of twisted moral high ground but they don't have that flimsy excuse here.
I don't like this sentiment. If it weren't for roms 16bit Jrpgs wouldn't have been as popular as they are today. Especially in Europe. If Roms hadn't existed a game like Chrono Trigger definitely wouldn't have been as successful as it is today.

One major reason people are hyped for Trails of mana is the snes rom. Square definitely knows that and is using it to their advantage

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I wonder how many SNES NSO games are gonna be marked with scene group tags.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Wow like for real ?, you are comparing games to terrorism ?, like my dude...
It's like right there. "Not really as bad."Not in the same planet. Not comparable. Whatever. I get your point. My point though is that the Internet is not controlled at all. It was cool for a while when everyone involved was playing nice. It's just not anymore and we need to draw some lines. Don't focus on a exagerated example to disprove my point

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
How can you get that legal VC treasure trove?

Honest question, because whilst I've seen plenty of tutorials for homebrew, emulators, etc I've rarely seen any tutorials for how one can take a legally-acquired Gameboy Cartridge (for example) and turn that into a ROM to use on an emulator. It's always just "here's a bunch of ROMs I have, and here's how to play them on x" Would you have to buy like 10+ different devices for all the game consoles that don't use formats that can easily be read by modern-day BD/DVD drives?

Google it, it's not rocket science

How do you think ROMs get from carts and onto the internet in the first place?

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
you're making things up. i don't see anyone saying they dislike "legal homebrew", just people saying they dislike piracy and are cool with nintendo going after it.

How have you not seen any posts on Era where people say "most people use homebrew to pirate"

How is that anything but being happy to throw legal homebrew under the bus?

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see a citation on the idea that the existence of piracy impact sales. I've never seen any evidence to that effect.

It's been thoroughly debunked. No one takes that argument seriously — yet the courts, the grounds in which robust arguments are meant to fester, seem to eat that shit up. I don't play Nintendo games; I will not be more inclined to play them because I can't pirate them.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you're making things up. i don't see anyone saying they dislike "legal homebrew", just people saying they dislike piracy and are cool with nintendo going after it.
We had people in this very thread claim "legitimate homebrew" is not a thing. It's all piracy.

I don't get how you can make this argument.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like this sentiment. If it weren't for roms 16bit Jrpgs wouldn't have been as popular as they are today. Especially in Europe. If Roms hadn't existed a game like Chrono Trigger definitely wouldn't have been as successful as it is today.

One major reason people are hyped for Trails of mana is the snes rom. Square definitely knows that and is using it to their advantage
JRPGs became popular independent of emulation. Chrono Trigger is especially a really bad example here, given it really was never all that unavailable legitimately for particularly long periods of time.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well even though this was a while ago, I'm still expecting it to happen again.

The answer is no Nintendo did not download their own roms to resell them

www.resetera.com

Tomohiro Kawase might've been hired by Nintendo to put ROM headers into VC [Updated Dec. 1, 2018]

Update (December 1, 2018): ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Update (October 12, 2018): and Follow-up 3: https://www.resetera.com/posts/13741800/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JRPGs became popular independent of emulation. Chrono Trigger is especially a really bad example here, given it really was never all that unavailable legitimately for particularly long periods of time.
If you live in America.

Piracy is the way 90% of EU players enjoyed that game for the first time, before the DS rerelease.

Reversing the game situation, it's also the reason why American game forums have a lot of people who can discuss games like Terranigma.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

So... you're now justifying piracy as 'good for the IP' rather than on preservation grounds?

Do you have any evidence at all to prove 'Chrono Trigger definitely wouldn't have been as successful as it is today' unless lots of people had pirated it? Seems kind of counter intuitive to claim people stealing a game made it 'more successful'?

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory accusations, Accumulated infractions
lol, good to see this is the level of argument that people like you can have.
i'm out, i hope this continues and more piracy websites get blocked and shut down.

Feels very shilly in here. Better put on my shill protective clothing.

Oct 28, 2017
So... you're now justifying piracy as 'good for the IP' rather than on preservation grounds?

Do you have any evidence at all to prove 'Chrono Trigger definitely wouldn't have been as successful as it is today' unless lots of people had pirated it? Seems kind of counter intuitive to claim people stealing a game made it 'more successful'?

How could it be so popular in Europe prior to the DS release? Not many people would have imported it back on release, so its either piracy or ??? that popularised it.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Nintendo is not the law and they are breaking the law themselves with that I brought a product and I can do what ever I want with it. Tear it to pieces wipe my ass with it.

Those things don't specifically effect the software they make and try to sell. There's a difference between buying something and doing what you want with it and breaking the law with it. Distinctions need to be made here.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The UK really needs better speech protections.

Thankfully I don't think this dystopian nonsense would fly in the US.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

well for starters, nobody in europe would have even gotten a chance to play it until over a decade after it's release

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

You don't have to justify piracy to comment that it may have helped some games or series' or genres get more popular or more buzz around them

You might as well dismiss word of mouth as a concept with that opinion

Piracy is wrong and can't be endorsed, but that doesn't mean Chrono Trigger or SD3 gained nothing from being pirated by so many people before they were available to buy legally

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'd love to see a citation on the idea that the existence of piracy impact sales. I've never seen any evidence to that effect.

I've made a post about it but tldr it doesnt have any effect either positive or negative

Check it out: (click on it to read it with quotes)

Studies on the area are lacking, but we do have a 300k Euro Study mandated by the European Union about it. Most interesting finding on the matter is that the study couldn't actually find correlation between increased piracy and sales, either positive or negative.

Other interesting finding is that piracy is also not dictated by price, at least for music and games.* As follows:

So, while we can't say that piracy is entirely a distribution problem, it seems like a logical conclusion that it plays a big part in it. But we can't also reliably say that as a study is needed about it.

*in europe

edit: i'm a dumbdumb and forgot the source: https://cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well even though this was a while ago, I'm still expecting it to happen again.

Pretty sure this turned out to be bollocks and not what happened at all.

www.resetera.com

Tomohiro Kawase might've been hired by Nintendo to put ROM headers into VC [Updated Dec. 1, 2018]

Update (December 1, 2018): ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Update (October 12, 2018): and Follow-up 3: https://www.resetera.com/posts/13741800/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...
Edit: way too late on my part.