• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2018
NINTENDO PRESENTS
A RETRO STUDIOS PRODUCTION

M E T R O I D
P R I M E
~REMASTERED~​

• Relive the classic adventure of SAMUS ARAN with enhancements and features EXCLUSIVE to Nintendo Switch​
  • Textures magnificently reworked using AI upscaling (note: not applied to all textures)​
  • Outstanding improvements to resolution (620p in portable mode, 720p+ dynamic scaling in docked mode)​
  • Characters, enemies, and environments retain classic models!​
  • Reimagined soundtrack composed entirely by a full orchestra​
  • Amiibo support
AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 22nd 2022** IN CELEBRATION OF ORIGINAL RELEASE OF METROID PRIME
RRP: USD $59.99
**pending delays
My God, this is a leak if I've ever seen one

Jan 11, 2018
NINTENDO PRESENTS

M E T R O I D
P R I M E
~REMASTERED~​

• Relive the classic adventure of SAMUS ARAN with enhancements and features EXCLUSIVE to Nintendo Switch​
  • Textures magnificently reworked using AI upscaling (note: not applied to all textures)​
  • Outstanding improvements to resolution (620p in portable mode, 720p+ dynamic scaling in docked mode)​
  • Amiibo support
AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 22nd 2022** IN CELEBRATION OF ORIGINAL RELEASE OF METROID PRIME
**pending delays

Keep orchestrated music the hell out of my Metroid Prime games please.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's annoying that they would be separate, but Metroid Prime is my favorite game and all 3 are in my top 20 so if they are legit graphical overhauls, and not just remasters, I would pay top dollar for all 3 and be happy doing it lol. The games getting graphical overhauls is like a dream scenario for me. Of course I'd end up buying them separately even if they're just remasters, but I wouldn't be happy doing it.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
If they are releasing Prime games as standalone, then we might be in for a real revamp, just short of a remake.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
NINTENDO PRESENTS

M E T R O I D
P R I M E
~REMASTERED~​

• Amiibo support
**pending delays
Nintendo PRs have typos now? It should say ~Demastered~.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
this way they can charge you $60 3 times
They will only get $120 though.

When-DJ-Plays-Your-Request.gif

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Just popping in here to say: please take this with a grain of salt and do not get your hopes up. For all we know, this rumour may not be true or is some mistaken info.

I was as excited as the next guy re. the rumoured Trilogy re-release but will wait for a formal announcement. Until then we have Dread and then MP4 to look forward to.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
NINTENDO PRESENTS

M E T R O I D
P R I M E
~REMASTERED~​

• Amiibo support
**pending delays

I heard it's required to buy the amiibo in order to save the game. ;)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they muck with the Artifact hunt I will be in shambles.

It's perfect the way it is.

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
I don't usually comment on these things, but given there's been a lot of irresponsible reporting around this project that's led to a lot of misconceptions and (imo) undeserved negativity, I want to clear up a couple of things here. As the cat's out of the bag now and Emily has already broken the news, I figure it can't do anything but help. First off though, I don't know whether or not this is being announced in the direct today. I was expecting it to be announced in the E3 direct, but when they announced Dread instead I assumed they were going to hold off on this announcement until after Dread released. So I'd be surprised if they talk about it today, but if they do then that's great because I've been waiting for this to be announced for years now.

Just so people understand what this is and what it isn't, I just want to clear up the history here so people can make accurate judgments about this project and whether it's worth their money. To start, most every rumor that's supposedly leaked about Retro the last several years has been complete bullshit. The stuff about them doing Star Fox Grand Prix and Labo stuff was complete bullshit. The only thing that was accurate was the rumor about the project they'd been working on since Tropical Freeze released was canceled. That was true.

After that, Nintendo had them start working on this project. It was designed from the beginning as a full asset remake of the original Metroid Prime Trilogy. They didn't want them making any changes to the design. They just wanted a 1:1 remake of the original games with new art built to modern standards. Down to them even reusing the original collision meshes and just replacing the art. They didn't want to mess with perfection. So this was never at any point a simple remaster of any of the games. They were always planned to be full remakes.

But it was only the art that was being rebuilt so that left their design staff with nothing to do. At the time, NOJ was having issues with Namco's work on Prime 4. Particularly the level design. So they started having the Retro design staff start helping with the level design on Prime 4. Meanwhile, art and programming staff were working on the MP1 Remake. After seeing the quality of Retro's level design work on Prime 4 and the quality of their art for the remake, NOJ decided, "Why are we not just having Retro do Prime 4 altogether?" So that was the point where they cancelled things with Namco and made the announcement they were rebooting things with Retro and put them back together with Tanabe.

So I think it was a few months after this or somewhere around then where the rumors about a MP trilogy first came out. I believe Imran Khan was first to "scoop it." However, what he reported was largely bullshit. He said the full trilogy was finished as a remaster and was just sitting around waiting to be released. Also, that Retro had secretly put a demo together to scoop MP4 from Namco. That was completely untrue. That is not how things work in this industry and definitely not how the relationship between Retro and NOJ works. This is not Spangleberg-era Retro where they're just secretly working on their own projects supposedly to steal projects from other studios. I feel like that was really irresponsible for Imran to claim that as that's a really bad look for Retro and is the kind of thing that creates bad blood. Retro are good guys and classier than that.

I privately messaged Imran back in early 2019 that his reporting was largely wrong. This was not a simple remaster. Work had not yet even begun on the later two games and this first game wouldn't be ready for some time. Also, that his statements about Retro sniping Prime 4 from Namco was completely untrue. It had been NOJ's decision and they were just following orders. Imran stopped responding to me as I guess rather than do his due diligence to correct any bad reporting he'd rather just let those bad rumors fly and soak up his fifteen minutes of fame. So instead these rumors about a Prime Trilogy being finished and waiting in the wings just kept circulating and getting reported by more people.

Before Retro got Prime 4 back they'd been planning for them to redo the whole trilogy. Obviously that was not going to be possible with them now doing Prime 4. So the new plan became for them to just finish up the first game, then Nintendo would contract out the work for the subsequent games to be redone by other studios with the Prime 1 remake serving to establish the visual bar and style for other studios to emulate. I don't know whether this is still the plan or if that work has even begun. I'm sort of doubtful. They've just barely finished up the work on Prime 1 just a few weeks ago. So this is definitely not something Nintendo has been sitting on for years and releasing them individually to nickel and dime everybody.

Retro has put a lot of work in to this project. They've seriously been working on it for years. I hope that can be appreciated. This is not one of Nintendo's usual quick minimalist re-release cash grabs. I think this is the kind of thing we want to see from them and should reward. That's why it irritates me that all this irresponsible reporting from years past is casting a negative shadow over it with people being led to believe Nintendo is just trying to take advantage of the fan base. Yes, that has happened from time to time, but this is not one of those cases. I don't know what the price point would ultimately be, but given the amount of work put into it I would fully expect it to be full price. Again, there's not any new added content to my knowledge but all the art assets have been completely rebuilt from the ground up a la Shadow of the Colossus/Demon's Souls remake. I have not seen the game running so I can't comment on the finished quality of the art remake, but I have heard it's impressive for what it's worth. So hopefully that clarifies the situation here.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't usually comment on these things, but given there's been a lot of irresponsible reporting around this project that's led to a lot of misconceptions and (imo) undeserved negativity, I want to clear up a couple of things here. As the cat's out of the bag now and Emily has already broken the news, I figure it can't do anything but help. First off though, I don't know whether or not this is being announced in the direct today. I was expecting it to be announced in the E3 direct, but when they announced Dread instead I assumed they were going to hold off on this announcement until after Dread released. So I'd be surprised if they talk about it today, but if they do then that's great because I've been waiting for this to be announced for years now.

Just so people understand what this is and what it isn't, I just want to clear up the history here so people can make accurate judgments about this project and whether it's worth their money. To start, most every rumor that's supposedly leaked about Retro the last several years has been complete bullshit. The stuff about them doing Star Fox Grand Prix and Labo stuff was complete bullshit. The only thing that was accurate was the rumor about the project they'd been working on since Tropical Freeze released was canceled. That was true.

After that, Nintendo had them start working on this project. It was designed from the beginning as a full asset remake of the original Metroid Prime Trilogy. They didn't want them making any changes to the design. They just wanted a 1:1 remake of the original games with new art built to modern standards. Down to them even reusing the original collision meshes and just replacing the art. They didn't want to mess with perfection. So this was never at any point a simple remaster of any of the games. They were always planned to be full remakes.

But it was only the art that was being rebuilt so that left their design staff with nothing to do. At the time, NOJ was having issues with Namco's work on Prime 4. Particularly the level design. So they started having the Retro design staff start helping with the level design on Prime 4. Meanwhile, art and programming staff were working on the MP1 Remake. After seeing the quality of Retro's level design work on Prime 4 and the quality of their art for the remake, NOJ decided, "Why are we not just having Retro do Prime 4 altogether?" So that was the point where they cancelled things with Namco and made the announcement they were rebooting things with Retro and put them back together with Tanabe.

So I think it was a few months after this or somewhere around then where the rumors about a MP trilogy first came out. I believe Imran Khan was first to "scoop it." However, what he reported was largely bullshit. He said the full trilogy was finished as a remaster and was just sitting around waiting to be released. Also, that Retro had secretly put a demo together to scoop MP4 from Namco. That was completely untrue. That is not how things work in this industry and definitely not how the relationship between Retro and NOJ works. This is not Spangleberg-era Retro where they're just secretly working on their own projects supposedly to steal projects from other studios. I feel like that was really irresponsible for Imran to claim that as that's a really bad look for Retro and is the kind of thing that creates bad blood. Retro are good guys and classier than that.

I privately messaged Imran back in early 2019 that his reporting was largely wrong. This was not a simple remaster. Work had not yet even begun on the later two games and this first game wouldn't be ready for some time. Also, that his statements about Retro sniping Prime 4 from Namco was completely untrue. It had been NOJ's decision and they were just following orders. Imran stopped responding to me as I guess rather than do his due diligence to correct any bad reporting he'd rather just let those bad rumors fly and soak up his fifteen minutes of fame. So instead these rumors about a Prime Trilogy being finished and waiting in the wings just kept circulating and getting reported by more people.

Before Retro got Prime 4 back they'd been planning for them to redo the whole trilogy. Obviously that was not going to be possible with them now doing Prime 4. So the new plan became for them to just finish up the first game, then Nintendo would contract out the work for the subsequent games to be redone by other studios with the Prime 1 remake serving to establish the visual bar and style for other studios to emulate. I don't know whether this is still the plan or if that work has even begun. I'm sort of doubtful. They've just barely finished up the work on Prime 1 just a few weeks ago. So this is definitely not something Nintendo has been sitting on for years and releasing them individually to nickel and dime everybody.

Retro has put a lot of work in to this project. They've seriously been working on it for years. I hope that can be appreciated. This is not one of Nintendo's usual quick minimalist re-release cash grabs. I think this is the kind of thing we want to see from them and should reward. That's why it irritates me that all this irresponsible reporting from years past is casting a negative shadow over it with people being led to believe Nintendo is just trying to take advantage of the fan base. Yes, that has happened from time to time, but this is not one of those cases. I don't know what the price point would ultimately be, but given the amount of work put into it I would fully expect it to be full price. Again, there's not any new added content to my knowledge but all the art assets have been completely rebuilt from the ground up a la Shadow of the Colossus/Demon's Souls remake. I have not seen the game running so I can't comment on the finished quality of the art remake, but I have heard it's impressive for what it's worth. So hopefully that clarifies the situation here.

s85JPQ6Y_400x400.jpg

Jan 11, 2018

How do you know all this?

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019

Wow

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
My Spider sense tingles at an insider knowing so much but still repeatedly referring to Nintendo as NOJ instead of NCL.
I don't work there. I just hear things. It's not important from where. I thought the acronym was NOJ but I'm aware of NCL being used as well. If that makes me unbelievable, that's fine. Time will tell. I just wanted people to not get so caught up in old rumors it colors their perception of what actually gets announced. Whenever it does get announced. I knew as soon as all these insiders started claiming a full trilogy was waiting in the wings to be released and people found out it would only be the first game they would assume the worst and think they were getting ripped off.

You're welcome to disbelieve. Skepticism is healthy and encouraged. We'll all just have to wait and see who is right and who is full of shit.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Sounds nice and all but I doubt it is true. Just doesn't sound very Nintendo-like to put so much effort in Metroid. At least not 5ish years ago.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Belmont

I would get verified with nods that you are in a position to know something than risk your account and get banned. You can't drop in here with no history and post stuff like that as gospel. If that where allowed, we would be full of 4chan like rumors and burner accounts

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
If I had real knowledge about these things I would never ever even contemplate giving away job/career/life destroying information to moderators on a videogame forum to prove my clout tbh. I don't even know why even real insiders do it.

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
Belmont

I would get verified with nods that you are in a position to know something than risk your account and get banned. You can't drop in here with no history and post stuff like that as gospel. If that where allowed, we would be full of 4chan like rumors and burner accounts

They're welcome to contact me again if they'd like. I've been contacted before about other unrelated stuff I've dropped. It's not like I don't have any post history. It's just very infrequent and irregular. I'm not planning to make a career out of dropping hot tips so I don't care about a verified tag. They can ban me if they want as I don't really post here very often and mainly just browse. No one should take anything anyone says on internet forums as gospel. As I've said, skepticism is healthy.

If I had real knowledge about these things I would never ever even contemplate giving away job/career/life destroying information to moderators on a videogame forum to prove my clout tbh. I don't even know why even real insiders do it.

Exactly. If people don't want to believe me, that's fine. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. This has just been really irritating me for forever so I finally decided to say something. Everyone feel free to ignore it and we'll see what actually turns up.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017

Look, I get being upset with Imran if this is accurate, but I don't think it's helpful to act like the former senior editor of Game Informer is some internet rando looking for 15 minutes of fame. He's a known insider regardless of how this incident unfolded.

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
It's not very difficult to get video game info. In Austin, if you ate lunch at certain places, you'd overhear a bunch (about a week before Jack tretton was announced as the new scea president, i heard some SOE guys talking about it and they were not happy). Most people don't care. And people in the industry don't usually spread stuff. I was sorta related to the industry back in college and what Spore was about was known.

Mar 23, 2018

I want to believe someone with the profile picture of Richter Belmont would not be lying to me

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
It's not very difficult to get video game info. In Austin, if you ate lunch at certain places, you'd overhear a bunch (about a week before Jack tretton was announced as the new scea president, i heard some SOE guys talking about it and they were not happy). Most people don't care. And people in the industry don't usually spread stuff. I was sorta related to the industry back in college and what Spore was about was known.
Good old Tretton.

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing this post. I understand if you don't want to specify the IP Retro was working on post-Tropical Freeze that got cancelled, but could you share the genre?
It was an adventure game that started out as existing IP then morphed into new IP but just ultimately didn't work out. Hopefully someday someone who's better acquainted with it can fill us in on more.

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
I've always thought it was more likely that Nintendo would remaster and re-release prime 1 in HD for $60 instead of an HD trilogy for $60. The trilogy existing as a single title at all was frankly a miracle. And it wasn't released in Japan - they got 1 and 2 on Wii as separate "new play style" budget titles.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought it was more likely that Nintendo would remaster and re-release prime 1 in HD for $60 instead of an HD trilogy for $60. The trilogy existing as a single title at all was frankly a miracle. And it wasn't released in Japan - they got 1 and 2 on Wii as separate "new play style" budget titles.
According to that recent Mike Wikan interview, the original Trilogy was a passion project by just four members of the team as they were finishing up MP3, the rest of the team went to work on DKCR. It was their idea and it got approved by Nintendo. The first two lining up with the timeline of their GameCube ports must have been why they released them that way in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.