• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a NintendoEverything article reporting on a recent Famitsu column written by Masahiro Sakurai where Sakurai has stated that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will have no more DLC characters after the upcoming 6 characters:

nintendoeverything.com

Sakurai says Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighters Pass Vol. 2 will be the last DLC, works to make people happy, unsure about series' future

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate director Masahiro Sakurai has again published a new column in the latest issue of Famitsu. Although there weren’t any new character announcement, he still had a decent amount to say about the Switch title. Below is a summary of what was shared in the article: – Six...

February 19, 2020

Below is a summary of what was shared in the article:

– Six more fighters were announced for Smash Bros. Ultimate, but there won't be any other characters after that
– Once those six additional fighters are released, Smash Bros. Ultimate will be over
– Sakurai doesn't choose which fighters get in
– He's in a position to accept requests from Nintendo's proposals
– If a character doesn't make sense, he can refuse it, but he doesn't cancel because of getting stuck in game ideas
– Sakurai can't do other jobs while making these fighters
– This means he doesn't have a game he can release directed by himself, but he's fine with that
– Sakurai doesn't move based on his own desires like wanting to make or direct a new game
– He works to make other people other than himself happy
– Sakurai isn't saying there is no possibility of Smash Bros. continuing in the future
– Neither him nor Nintendo are thinking about the future right now
– Adding all content without leaving anything behind would make a poor piece of work if you think about the near future
– Releasing those bits by bits would make it continue longer
– That's why these six characters are luxurious additions

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He didn't say that. All he said was that there was no plans for anymore Fighters after these 6 which as this point makes sense.

Vol 2 just came out and hasn't even gotten a character announced yet and Nintendo didn't get cracking on this batch until after E3. Maybe this is the final one but this article is missing key points and isn't providing full context

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game will have been in active development for 6 years straight once fighter pass vol. 2 is done. They have to take a break sometime

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Here's hoping for at least one character who's primarily a woman or a person of color (or both) this time around before they close up shop.

Honestly, I'd be down for someone else taking the reigns after Ultimate. Even just within Nintendo, I could see Yabuki taking over if Sakurai wants to focus on other stuff after Smash. Yabuki has already proven his fighting game chops with ARMS (albeit as producer). I'd imagine that we'd get Mario Kart 9 & ARMS 2 on the next system. But since he'd probably be producer for both, maybe he can direct the next Smash game in Sakurai's place if he's done with Smash.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Why? By the time this is done, it will almost be 2022 and 6 years of working on ultimate. 12 dlc characters would be a crazy amount. Expecting more after this seems....well uh, yea.
Because what could they do after that? Super Smash will be done unless they reboot the whole franchise. Or, they can continue adding on and supporting this iteration for many more years.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there were no plans for a second Fighters Pass in December 2018 as well. Plans change.

But if that's indeed the case, I can't see the next Smash game coming out until 2025 at the earliest - and I would expect it to be a different kind of game (maybe with something like 3D movement, similar to Power Stone).

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a NintendoEverything article reporting on a recent Famitsu column written by Masahiro Sakurai where Sakurai has stated that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will have no more DLC characters after the upcoming 6 characters:

nintendoeverything.com

Sakurai says Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighters Pass Vol. 2 will be the last DLC, works to make people happy, unsure about series' future

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate director Masahiro Sakurai has again published a new column in the latest issue of Famitsu. Although there weren’t any new character announcement, he still had a decent amount to say about the Switch title. Below is a summary of what was shared in the article: – Six...

You should give Pushdustin a credit since they credited him for it.

And translation isn't accurate since they were translated via machines. Check PushDustIn for accurate translation please!

Also Famitsu is the source.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fine by me. Nintendo and Sakurai have went above and beyond with Smash Ultimate. I still can't believe I'm living in a timeline where Banjo is in Smash.

Crossing my fingers one of those six is Crash Bandicoot, but after Banjo I can't say I would be upset if Crash isn't in.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
More concerned about who picks up Smash after Sakurai. He should really appoint a successor and retire to be more of an overseer

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Here's hoping for at least one character who's primarily a woman or a person of color (or both) this time around before they close up shop.

Honestly, I'd be down for someone else taking the reigns after Ultimate. Even just within Nintendo, I could see Yabuki taking over if Sakurai wants to focus on other stuff after Smash. Yabuki has already proven his fighting game chops with ARMS (albeit as producer). I'd imagine that we'd get Mario Kart 9 & ARMS 2 on the next system. But since he'd probably be producer for both, maybe he can direct the next Smash game in Sakurai's place if he's done with Smash.
why would Sakurai be done with Smash? He genuinely seems to love working on it

May 21, 2019
You should give Pushdustin a credit since they credited him for it.

And translation isn't accurate since they were translated via machines. Check PushDustIn for accurate translation please!

Also Famitsu is the source.

Weird thing to say since I'm seeing Blackkite credited, not Pushdustin, and I know Blackkite does a lot of translations. And why are you saying this was machine translated when a person translated it?

On topic: Sakurai needs a break. :(

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
This game has basically given me everything I could ever ask for already so the idea of 6 more fighters seems unfathomable to me. I will do one last prayer that anyone from XB2 makes it in this final batch no matter how unlikely.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Weird thing to say since I'm seeing Blackkite credited, not Pushdustin, and I know Blackkite does a lot of translations. And why are you saying this was machine translated when a person translated it?

Black kite used machine translation for one smash column before and he translated it himself few hours later. I asked some people around and they said blackkite's wasn't completely accurate.

I just prefer to reduce misinformation via bad translations.

(I might have through of other Nintendo that gave pushdustin a credit).

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
This version of Smash has been godtier so far, god bless Sakurai and his hard work all this time, he deserves to take a break...
The only issues I had with the game was regarding the online netcode being randomly unstable and making some matches unplayable, but oh well, that continues happening for many fighting games nowadays too, even the recent Granblue Fantasy Versus...
Hopefully we'll get some big changes and improvements regarding netcodes in this new decade.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Black kite used machine translation for one smash column before and he translated it himself few hours later. I asked some people around and they said blackkite's wasn't completely accurate.

I just prefer to reduce misinformation via bad translations.

(I might have through of other Nintendo that gave pushdustin a credit).
iirc, NintendoEverything has editorized Sakurai translations in the past, making them have a slightly different meaning

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
He didn't say that. All he said was that there was no plans for anymore Fighters after these 6 which as this point makes sense.

Vol 2 just came out and hasn't even gotten a character announced yet and Nintendo didn't get cracking on this batch until after E3. Maybe this is the final one but this article is missing key points and isn't providing full context

Coming from here, which types up Famitsu articles: http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/28787

「あと6体作ることを発表したが6体の内訳は決まっていてそれ以上作る予定はない」-> 'There are no more plans for DLC characters other than these 6.' So, technically this is ambiguous and there could be more characters after these 6, as Sakurai did simply say there are no 'plans', however...

「つまりこの6体を出し切ったらスマブラSPの仕事はいよいよ終了」- 'Once these 6 characters are released, work on Smash Ultimate will be complete.' -> This statement is much more definitive and was accurately translated. The game is over after DLC Pack 2.

Translation source: Me. I worked in Japan for 4 years and speak the language.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I could have sworn I heard in the last something to the effect that there would be no more fighters after the first 5 DLC as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coming from here, which types up Famitsu articles: http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/28787

「あと6体作ることを発表したが6体の内訳は決まっていてそれ以上作る予定はない」-> 'There are no more plans for DLC characters other than these 6.' So, technically this is ambiguous and there could be more characters after these 6, as Sakurai did simply say there are no 'plans', however...

「つまりこの6体を出し切ったらスマブラSPの仕事はいよいよ終了」- 'Once these 6 characters are released, work on Smash Ultimate will be complete.' -> This statement is much more definitive and was accurately translated. The game is over after DLC Pack 2.

Thanks for this post confirming that the translation is indeed accurate.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Edelgard
Claude
Dimitri
Lysithea
Bernadetta
and...

Ms. Pac-Man
You may joke, but I'd be okay with this. If nothing else, we'd have more gender & ethnic diversity than the previous Fighters Pass.

LOL.

one of the slots is going to be a Pokemon.
Considering the recent Sword/Shield spirit event, I wouldn't be so sure. While granted, none of the chosen Pokémon would have been playable, they're still major Pokémon that would have been saved for an eventual Gen 8 rep if one was in the pipeline.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

The second statement doesn't mean anything as under these current plans of course Smash will be done. The thing is there's plenty of time for plans to change. Up until June 2019 the Fighter's Pass was the only planned content until plans did change.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai is only 49

He has at least 15 more years left of active game development before he even thinks about retiring. And he'll probably keep going until he physically cannot anymore because he's a workaholic.
I don't think he cares for the idea of someone else heading up Smash either and changing around his baby.

Deleted member 15457

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know he's probably going to work on Smash 6 after the last wave of DLC is done, but he should really take a break for his own well being.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this post confirming that the translation is indeed accurate.

No?! They just confirmed only one phase being accurate tho. That doesn't meant whole thing were.

Was that entire translation accurate? My friend mentioned that it didn't say luxurious additions but yet blackkite said otherwise. So I'm curious about your opinion on this?

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they didn't have plans for FP2 after they decided on the 1st one. But sales change things.

But yeah Papa Sakurai definitely deserves some rest for the amazing work he's done.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he cares for the idea of someone else heading up Smash either and changing around his baby.
I feel like Sakurai's a perfectionist. I don't think it's a matter of being afraid of someone else touching Smash, I think it's that he feels a sense of duty towards Smash.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
The second statement doesn't mean anything as under these current plans of course Smash will be done. The thing is there's plenty of time for plans to change. Up until June 2019 the Fighter's Pass was the only planned content until plans did change.

A 2nd Fighter's Pass was likely always in consideration, depending on how well the 1st one did. Essentially, the plans never changed, but rather they would follow a certain path depending on circumstances.

This time though, it doesn't seem like there's consideration at all.

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
No?! They just confirmed only one phase being accurate tho. That doesn't meant whole thing were.

Was that entire translation accurate? My friend mentioned that it didn't say luxurious additions but yet blackkite said otherwise. So I'm curious about your opinion on this?

Pretty much. Here is the statement you are asking for:

[だからこそこの6体追加は贅沢な追加] -> 'So, these 6 additions are extravagant additions to the game'. It was correctly translated.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A 2nd Fighter's Pass was likely always in consideration, depending on how well it did.

This time though, it doesn't seem like there's consideration at all.
We don't know if that's the case. Remember Vol 2 has literally just come out and the game is on it's second year there's not enough data to make a proper call one way or the other. So at this point they're either all in on making multiple seasons or adjusting their plans according to demand. All we know is that they didn't seem to want to commit to Vol 2 until after E3 which by then had the Pass out on the market for multiple months and had 3 of the 5 characters announced. If there is an extension I don't imagine we'll hear anything until next year.