• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Well, we heard Reggie comment on the Fortnite situation, now it's Nintendo of Japan to comment...

Oct 27, 2017
If Labo was selling well right now, they wouldn't have danced around the question or gave excuses. I think this is the first instance of Nintendo employing typical corporate misdirection on Labo (they always do this whenever something underwhelms).

No, they said what everyone was thinking. Labo's a toy with a different sales pattern than traditional games. Thus, Nintendo is setting expectations accordingly.

Oct 26, 2017
You could have a pretty decent lineup with some fun multiplayer games.

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Mario Party (2)
Mario Tennis/Golf
Star Fox 64
F-Zero X
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Super Smash Bros.
Donkey Kong 64 (has been VC)
Pokemon Snap
Wave Race 64
1080 Snowboarding
Pilotwings 64

16 seems like a reasonable number with 20 on SNES Classic. And this is assuming no Rare games other than DK64.

Some of these games would be weird... OoT and MM and DK64 have massively upgraded versions made and the original versions run at like 15 FPS. Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64 have had wildly superior sequels.

And those are like 5 of the biggest games on that list.

And no Goldeneye would get called out by every casual player interested in an N64 Classic.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
...that just happens to not be selling all that well since launch.

I see the numbers first-hand, I know what's being cautiously omitted. Sometimes, what they're not saying is more important than what they're saying directly.
Except from the media rollout and advertisement, Nintendo did not have expectations for it to have frontloaded sales. Nintendo France themselves said they expect they'd make the bulk of sales during Christmas which Reggie reiterated. Toys have a slow sustained sale trajectory until the holidays

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible that we will see more about Nintendo talk about mobile games/cygame partnership today?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Some of these games would be weird... OoT and MM and DK64 have massively upgraded versions made and the original versions run at like 15 FPS. Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64 have had wildly superior sequels.

And no Goldeneye would get called out by every casual player interested in an N64 Classic.
Well almost every SNES game worth playing is on Wii VC, but that didn't stop the SNES Classic from selling out. The audience for mini consoles probably doesn't really care that the best version of Ocarina of Time is on the 3DS. It's more about the novelty and ease of access.

The audience for a N64 mini probbaly doesn't really care about high quality games either.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017

And this is different from the NES and SNES classic how? These are nostalgia machines looking for a larger audience than current gamers. No one is going to skip out on the N64 Mini because it has Smash 64 and Melee has been out for 15+ years.

Apr 21, 2018
Well almost every SNES game worth playing is on Wii VC, but that didn't stop the SNES Classic from selling out. The audience for mini consoles probably doesn't really care that the best version of Ocarina of Time is on the 3DS. It's more about the novelty and ease of access.

The audience for a N64 mini probbaly doesn't really care about high quality games either.

I think you're right. It will sell gangbusters regardless. 15fps or not. I think I'd prefer having the games in their original glory anyways, even though I've played the remakes. It's called 'classic' for a reason.

Oct 26, 2017

OoT, DK64, and MM run horribly at this point.

DK64 runs at like 12 FPS.

Not sure how it will go if Nintendo releases an N64 Classic with much worse versions of OoT, MM, and DK64 than versions on other platforms (3DS and WiiU at this point) if these worse versions run in slow motion.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole "Labo is a toy" thing doesn't really work I think either ... it's a $70 toy ... OK ... that requires a $300 game console.

It's a video game accessory, and a fairly expensive one, whether Nintendo wants to admit it.

A $10 Star Wars or Ninja Turtles action figure is a toy, a $30 Tickle Me Elmo is a toy, Labo is a $70 video game that doesn't work without a game system.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "Labo is a toy" thing doesn't really work I think either ... it's a $70 toy ... OK ... that requires a $300 game console.

It's a video game accessory, and a fairly expensive one, whether Nintendo wants to admit it.

A $10 Star Wars or Ninja Turtles action figure is a toy, a $30 Tickle Me Elmo is a toy, Labo is a $70 video game that doesn't work without a game system.
Guess you never bought Legos?

Edit: Like suggested below. Something like Labo might see its biggest sales during holiday seasons. It's mainly aimed at kids. It's up to parents to buy it and they're far more likely to do that on mass during holidays and birthdays.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Huge marketing push during holiday and a good bundle price can do wonders though.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
OoT, DK64, and MM run horribly at this point.

DK64 runs at like 12 FPS.

Not sure how it will go if Nintendo releases an N64 Classic with much worse versions of OoT, MM, and DK64 than versions on other platforms (3DS and WiiU at this point) if these worse versions run in slow motion.
You're preaching to the choir, mate. I have no interest in buying a mini console. I'm just saying that its intended audience likely cares as much about how these games look and perform now as they did in the 90s, not much at all.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This argument is weak. Price has very little to do if something is classified as a toy or not.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Are these people really asking if a declining birth rate and aging population is detrimental to Nintendo's business since it means less gamers out there?

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

It's pretty clearly a toy. The fact that a cheaper toy exists doesn't suddenly mean that Labo isn't a toy. That's a silly notion.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess you never bought Legos?

Edit: Like suggested below. Something like Labo might see its biggest sales during holiday seasons. It's mainly aimed at kids. It's up to parents to buy it and they're far more likely to do that on mass during holidays and birthdays.

Do you need a game system to play Lego?

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017

Osmo, a successful STEM toy ranging from £99 to £189 requires £300+ iPad,

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...that just happens to not be selling all that well since launch.

I see the numbers first-hand, I know what's being cautiously omitted. Sometimes, what they're not saying is more important than what they're saying directly.

We can see it in Japan too. They shipped like 250-260k of the Variety Kit ... that's likely going to require another 3-4 months just sell the initial shipment.

There's slow burn and then there's a complete snail's pace.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped worrying about Labo after the Mario Kart update. I think they have some interesting plans to expand and push the idea. Their first two kits can fail and still provide good lessons going forward.

Where are people seeing questions?