• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
From Nintendo's FY 2017 Q2 Financial Results Briefing
DNc-_iqX0AAoMss.jpg

I would also like to touch on the progress we have made for our download sales. This figure shows the download sales of digital content for dedicated video game platforms compared to past years. Sales through thesecond quarter were the highest in our history for a six month period. Download sales for Nintendo Switch highly contribute to increase of total download sales.

Note: FY = Fiscal year (April through March of the following year)

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Not shocked. The Switch's eShop is easily miles and miles ahead of their previous implementations.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

They'll be swimming in money when they introduce their online subscription.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It helps that the Switch Eshop loads in seconds instead of minutes like with wiiu and 3ds. Lots of room for improvement still though.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Fast OS, portability, paypal, large storage options, tons of great/affordable indie games. I can see their profits from the eShop continuing to grow more and more

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how fast the eShop is, so easy to browse and buy. Unlike the bloated, laggy mess on my PS4.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love how fast the eShop is, so easy to browse and buy. Unlike the bloated, laggy mess on my PS4.
I'll be honest, in the last month I tried buying three games on sale on the PSN store and it would fail to load or time out on the confirming purchase screen. Sony lost $40 from me because of their bad shop/network. When I jumped on Switch, as barebones as it is, I appreciated the fact that it just worked.

AyaTharja

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I'm all digital on Switch and the fact that it uses Micro SD cards and the eShop is pretty fast and responsuve and the system itself is hybrid i can see why many would go digital

Also Nintendo got a good account system now finally

Last edited:

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017
Aside from BotW I'm in for all digital on Switch. Having every game with me and not needing to manage carts is something I just can't pass on. 15 digital games so far.

I don't think I'll ever remove my BotW cart.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I think I must be up to close to 70-75 games now... and it's been what - 7 months since launch?
Almost all of these are digital with the exception of the larger games so as to maximize use of my memory card (which still has plenty of available space).
Even double-dipped on Mario vs. Rabbids this weekend because of how bite-size that game is for storage.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Even I found myself buying some digital Nintendo games so it's no surprise. I hope that Amazon.fr will keep that pricing parity between boxed and digital Switch games.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I must be up to close to 70-75 games now... and it's been what - 7 months since launch?
Almost all of these are digital with the exception of the larger games so as to maximize use of my memory card (which still has plenty of available space).
Even double-dipped on Mario vs. Rabbids this weekend because of how bite-size that game is for storage.

Wow, that's hardcore.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising. While the eShop isn't perfect, it is much better than previous iterations. I've downloaded more big releases digitally then I expected.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
for me, the paypal + region free combo did it. i was ready to go 100% physical after how last gen went but being able to buy from jp eshop to play 1 day earlier is so tempting for big launches.

superpretend

Oct 26, 2017
Helps that they don't seem to block overseas transactions like previous consoles. Allows people like me in unsupported regions easily buy games without having to buy marked up eshop cards.

The incredible year one lineup didn't hurt either!

Deleted member 62

Content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrayToes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use my switch as a handheld primarily so I buy all of my games digital. Not surprised to see others doing the same.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I have 2 retail games on the Switch, the rest of my now-around 50 games are digital. However, most of these are 3rd party indie games, where Nintendo "only" gets 30%.

I'd be interested to know how the split is between 1st party sales revenue on the eShop compared to the 30% provision of 3rd party games.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Historically, Nintendo has seen extremely weak digital mix in the past as it hasn't embraced a lot of the models that its competitors have. It looks like this generation is when we'll see Nintendo take digital distribution more seriously.

But still a long way to go to reach the same sort of level as its competitors. (The below shows you the opportunity for Nintendo + just how far Sony have come in regards to its digital service)

upload_2017-10-31_12-5-15.png

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Historically, Nintendo has seen extremely weak digital mix in the past as it hasn't embraced a lot of the models that its competitors have. It looks like this generation is when we'll see Nintendo take digital distribution more seriously.

But still a long way to go to reach the same sort of level as its competitors.

View attachment 24

Isn't the big difference the PSN subscription there?

That's still going to be massively different considering Nintendo is going to charge a lot less.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But still a long way to go to reach the same sort of level as its competitors. (The below shows you the opportunity for Nintendo + just how far Sony have come in regards to its digital service)

View attachment 24

Yeah that puts things into perspective. I'm not 100% sure what's included in that graph but if it is every single transaction on the respective networks I'm not surprised at that difference. Nintendo have lots of potential to grow in this area, starting with the online subscription of course.

I'd imagine it'd take a minor miracle for Nintendo to grow to even half of the PSN number currently.

We shall see.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

That's still going to be massively different considering Nintendo is going to charge a lot less.

It counts towards it. But it's a mix of Full Game Downloads, game add on content, non game add on content, microtransactions, PS Plus etc...

Digital is being embraced by more and more console players these days and that'll help Nintendo grow a lot faster in that space.
Especially when they start rolling out their paid digital service.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It counts towards it. But it's a mix of Full Game Downloads, game add on content, non game add on content, microtransactions, PS Plus etc...

Digital is being embraced by more and more console players these days and that'll help Nintendo grow a lot faster in that space.
Especially when they start rolling out their paid digital service.

Yup, Nintendo is going to benefit from all the work Valve, Sony and MS have done to convert people to digital. People are already flocking to the eShop and it feels like they've put in little effort so far. When Nintendo starts actually trying they are going to make bank on digital services.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

PS Plus, PS Now and PS Vue subscriptions would all be included yes. And Music Unlimited for previous years before Sony shut it down to partner with Spotify.

It's a little tough to compare Nintendo's eShop figures directly to PS Store due to the latter's focused inclusion on movies and television content. PSN is really more comparable to the Apple and Google storefronts.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at Zhuge's graph Sony's revenue shot up when PSN Plus and then again when the PS4 came out and it was required for multiplayer.

I would be interested in seeing how big of a chunk the subscription actually makes up.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to know how much Minecraft sold since release but sadly no such information was provided. I honestly expected the game to be highlighted during the quarterly reports considering it's the best selling eShop game over the last four and a half months across all regions.

Otherwise it's not really surprising and I think with the Switch userbase set to double over the next two quarters we would see an even more pronounced change during the holiday. Nintendo just needs to get some of the big indie hits and 3rd party with a decent discount for Black Friday and Christmas. As a lot more new owners buy the Switch during the holidays can move a lot of units with a decent discount and more visibility. I'm especially interested in how local multiplayer games that have accessibility for kids do. Games like Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, Deathsquared, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime etc are a perfect fit for Switch is trying to achieve with the JoyCons. I'm also very happy to see Overcooked sticking around the top 5 in the Japanese eShop 20 days after release even as SMO releases and a bunch of Nintendo first party games + Minecraft dominate the chart.

With Splatoon 2 requiring online and driving subs in Japan next year there is even more growth in store. Nintendo just needs to ensure they have another heavily popular online game for the West - whether thats SSB, Pokemon or DLC for MK8D they need to get something out there at the beginning of the year as they roll out their paid online.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to know how much Minecraft sold since release but sadly no such information was provided. I honestly expected the game to be highlighted during the quarterly reports considering it's the best selling eShop game over the last four and a half months across all regions.

It this confirmed? Overcooked released not that long after Minecraft, and that game seem to have chartered higher for more weeks in the west? (But Overcooked had no Japanese release until now, OTOH.)

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people going more digital on Switch
Not surprising. With Indie games, for instance, there was virtually no reason to ever buy them on Wii U or 3DS, you were almost always getting an inferior experience. The Switch, on the other hand, has a huge advantage over all other systems with its hybrid nature.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Otherwise it's not really surprising and I think with the Switch userbase set to double over the next two quarters we would see an even more pronounced change during the holiday. Nintendo just needs to get some of the big indie hits and 3rd party with a decent discount for Black Friday and Christmas. As a lot more new owners buy the Switch during the holidays can move a lot of units with a decent discount and more visibility. I'm especially interested in how local multiplayer games that have accessibility for kids do. Games like Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, Deathsquared, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime etc are a perfect fit for Switch is trying to achieve with the JoyCons. I'm also very happy to see Overcooked sticking around the top 5 in the Japanese eShop 20 days after release even as SMO releases and a bunch of Nintendo first party games + Minecraft dominate the chart.

With Splatoon 2 requiring online and driving subs in Japan next year there is even more growth in store. Nintendo just needs to ensure they have another heavily popular online game for the West - whether thats SSB, Pokemon or DLC for MK8D they need to get something out there at the beginning of the year as they roll out their paid online.
Agreed, Splatoon 2 isnt enough to drive subs in the west. Maybe Mario Kart can do that, but Smash, Pokemon, or some new online-enabled property would go a long way in pushing those subscriptions. Animal Crossing, perhaps?