• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So today saw myself in the need to contact Nintendo regarding a refund for the awful Pipe Push Paradise, which I bought just yesterday.

To give you a not-so-quick catch up of why I'm asking for a refund, which is the first time I see myself in the need to do so btw, basically:

Pipe Push Paradise is a PC puzzle game recently ported to the Switch eShop, pretty similar to Stephen's Sausage Roll, honestly for what I could try the game does seem to have a couple decent ideas, not a bad product by itself.

My problem with it though resides on the goddamn terrible port job they did with this thing. The controls are absolutely terrible and barely work, it's pretty clear to me they just slapped the original keyboard biddings onto the controllers buttons and called it a day. Moving, the one only mechanic this game is built on, is fucked up on both the controller stick and the d-pad, moreso on the stick which is nigh impossible to use because a slight push to any direction is recognized as multiple inputs towards that direction which results in extreme imprecision. D-pad is less terrible but still imprecise, the only way to make it work is treating it like a keyboard key, as in carefully pressing it in the direction you want to move (want to move 6 tiles to the left and 3 up? Gotta carefully press left 6 times and up 3 times)

So yeah, this honestly is unacceptable to me, and I'm not interested in asking the dev for a patch that might or might not come either so my next step was to contact Nintendo

So I did, and got what I imagine must be the usual response to these kind of things as every response by the rep was clearly just being copy paste'd

"As a rule, we aren't allowed to process refunds but let me see what I can do"

Then after giving them my details the rep took a couple seconds and sent me three paragraphs which basically said

"We might help you if we can, maybe, but don't expect anything from us ever again, please check reviews the next time"

(NOTE: I did check the few reviews this game had online and none mentioned the awful controls)

Honestly, regardless of what the outcome of my refund request is, I'm left off extremly dissatisfied by it. This purposefully unclear policy on refunds is absolutely offensive as it's pretty damn obvious it only exists to discourage people from going through it while still allowing some to avoid potential backlash from certain scenarios

Also the fact they recommend you to check for reviews of the game you want to buy before doing so when the eshop does not have any kind of review system is hilarious.

Edit: my grammar mistakes are also unacceptable

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It should be standard across all platforms (refunds). It sucks that some only let you refund once.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
They said they might give you a refund for buying some dev's bad port and it's somehow Nintendo's fault?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's up to you to do your homework before you buy a game. If it were a physical game from nearly anywhere else, you wouldn't have gotten a refund at all. They refunded you and you call them out?

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I'm a bit confused. Do we expect refunds these days? I thought their policy was not just the industry norm but the norm for everything the world over.

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be great if all of them had a policy of refunding you within a reasonable time frame like 2-3 hours. Though, they're not entirely obligated to do so.

Someone else here mentioned when you buy a physical copy of a game you generally can't return it once it's opened, so I'm guessing they're following the same policy.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
It's up to you to do your homework before you buy a game. If it were a physical game from nearly anywhere else, you wouldn't have gotten a refund at all. They refunded you and you call them out?
Even if somebody doesnt do their homework (which OP did) a customer is well within their rights to request a refund for a defective or badly ported game shortly after buying it.

Your assertion about not getting refunds for physical games anywhere is also highly dependent on country. In a country with good customer protection such as mine I can refund physical games in a timespan of 14 days. That includes after having opened them.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony kinda did something similar with me, I asked for a refund on Cyber Sleuth for the Vita because a big appeal for me was that it was a cross-save game between PS4 and Vita, but when I tried to play it on my Vita, it said I had some pre-order DLC on my save so I couldn't play my 30 hour save file, I was super pissed as I could NOT buy that DLC on Vita, the save file was forever stuck on PS4 which is super stupid.

I did get a refund on the Vita version, but then they basically told me "never expect another refund", I'm glad I'm mostly a PC gamer these days.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I agree OP. As a predominately PlayStation gamer I hope they start doing some catching up in this regard too.

Steam and MS seem to be on the right track as far as refunds go.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds fucking awful.

100% people will defend this.

EDIT they already are. lol.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017

You would - in Europe at least.

EDIT: Which leads me to wonder if Nintendo's eShop is compliant with European laws in regards to refunds.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I wonder if all the people blaming the OP and defending Nintendo would do so if he was talking about EA and Origin instead, for example 😏

OP
OP

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could have worded it better but it's not their fault you don't like the controls, the game is not broken.
It's not broken it's just unplayable. The fact this is the first time I ask for a refund when I own hundreds of games across the current platforms should say it all

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
For reference, in which country is this? E.g. Sony does the same in the US but has far broader refund policies in other countries.

You would - in Europe at least.

EDIT: Which leads me to wonder if Nintendo's eShop is compliant with European laws in regards to refunds.

They're being sued for their preorder canceling rules which is a part of refunds...

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Steam's refund policy should be the industry's standard.

This. I don't want to hear any excuses as to why this is not a thing, even if we get 50% - 75% of the refund instead of the full 100% because "console reasons" or whatever, I'd still be happy. I have a few purchases I would no doubt love to get rid of via refund on PSN, but here we are. I understand if PS+ games get restricted from this because they're given to us, but allow us to get a refund even if it's not the full 100 cause of whatever bullshit reasons they provide us. Just give us the damn option to get our money back, even if we have to play a game for less 1 to 2 hours or even less than a full 24 hour limit. Jesus Christ.

Hans

Oct 29, 2017
Last week I accidentally bought the add-on pack for Starlink ("Collection Pack" for EUR 34.99) instead of the actual game ("Standard Edition" for EUR 39.99). Nintendo declined my request for a refund. I am still bitter about it and now refuse to buy the game.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They could have worded it better but it's not their fault you don't like the controls, the game is not broken.
It's generally considered a consumer friendly practice to have a refund policy implemented in cases like these. There's no problem with allowing a customer to refund a game they have little playtime in, that they didn't like. To not offer that is strictly anti-consumer.

Sony does the same thing, and it's annoying that they get away with it.

Mr G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
You can do this in Steam already and games still sell. I doubt this would have a meaningful impact besides giving the consumer more information.
With the type of broken games you can find there and the fact that different pc configurations can cause compatibilty issues, it's the least they can do.
For Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft it's different, they actually check the games that get's released on their store.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
With the type of broken games you can find there and the fact that different pc configurations can cause compatibilty issues, it's the least they can do.
For Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft it's different, they actually check the games that get's released on their store.

...Do you check the Sony and Nintendo stores? Nintendo's Switch eShop has a lot of shovel ware and shit that is absolute garbage on their outside of the well worthy ports and the regularly made Nintendo games. And Sony's store is absolutely positively fucking just as bad, there's so much nonsense on it. There's games that are literally low priced and all you did is sit there for 5 minutes with the game open or so to get a free Platinum.

OP
OP

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last week I accidentally bought the add-on pack for Starlink ("Collection Pack" for EUR 34.99) instead of the actual game ("Standard Edition" for EUR 39.99). Nintendo declined my request for a refund. I am still bitter about it and now refuse to buy the game.
That is extremely fucked up

What the fuck do they expect you to do with the DLC and only the DLC?

Now that shit seems way bigger deal than my simply bad experience

I imagine you can do more with that one considering you are in the EU (I'm assuming)

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
...Do you check the Sony and Nintendo stores? Nintendo's Switch eShop has a lot of shovel ware and shit that is absolute garbage on their outside of the well worthy ports and the regularly made Nintendo games. And Sony's store is absolutely positively fucking just as bad, there's so much nonsense on it. There's games that are literally low priced and all you did is sit there for 5 minutes with the game open or so to get a free Platinum.

There's a difference between a game being broken and a game being bad. Especially so broken that it harms the hardware.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
There's a difference between a game being broken and a game being bad. Especially so broken that it harms the hardware.

I totally agree with this, trust me. I'm just saying that the PSN store isn't perfect and Nintendo's store isn't perfect either. I don't know much about the quality of games that are on the Xbox One, but still, I'm just trying to make a point here lol.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
And a customer who quickly realizes the product he bought still works but is really bad should be able to easily refund it in a set amount of time after the purchase.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
There's a ton of trashware in both the eShop and the Store too, but that isn't the point anyways. The thing is, people can try out games in Steam before buying them and games (even short ones) still sell. It's entirely beneficial to the consumer and it's necessary when your competition (Steam, Microsoft) already does it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of this week's eshop releases on Switch has a game breaking bug.

Microsoft's whole array of systems versions means that not all games are going to behave the same on different systems and it's not unusual that a game has trouble with a specific version of the XB1 systems.

So yeah, every platform has the same issues, not just steam because reasons.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
And a customer who quickly realizes the product he bought still works but is really bad should be able to easily refund it in a set amount of time after the purchase.

Never said otherwise. The post I quoted implied Sony and Nintendo don't check their software because their consoles have a lot of shovelware. Except shovelware =/= broken game. I mean a game can play well and still be crap.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steam Refund should be the standard, within 14 days and under 2 hours and it's automatic, after that it's discretionary and anything that can't be refunded is clearly marked.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of broken ass games on those stores too. They don't check shit. The one single thing they check is if it crashes your console or not. That's it.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I totally agree with this, trust me. I'm just saying that the PSN store isn't perfect and Nintendo's store isn't perfect either. I don't know much about the quality of games that are on the Xbox One, but still, I'm just trying to make a point here lol.

Fair. But when Sony and Nintendo checks a game, they do so to see if the game in question harms their hardware, not if the game is good or have a number of bugs (although they do tell developers on that last one). If it was pure Q/A, a game like Skyrim would be flagged for all the bugs it had at launch.