• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming Nintendo, at sone point, makes a handheld-only version of the Switch, what should they name it? Should they even make one?

I'd like to throw my hat in with "Switch Less". It covers all the necessary points: it's cheaper, it's smaller, and hey, it doesn't switch.

If Dumb Nintendo gets their hands on it, it'll be called the Nintendo DS (Doesn't Switch).

Your thoughts?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't like the concept and I don't like the name either.

Sorry OP.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if you are trolling... that's a horrible name, and puts a negative view on the brand and the device itself.

Cyryus

Nov 21, 2017
Nintendo Switch Go

Maybe a smaller screen, better battery life, does NOT come with a dock (duh) but still be able to work & purchase a dock in the future for TV Mode.

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to crush your dreams OP but Labor and the other new ways to play kill a handheld only/console only Switch.

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing you want to emphasize when naming a product, it's the things it doesn't do

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
"Less" is a very negative word to use in a product name. It's a bad name and there's no way it would ever be used.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I laugh to myself at the thought of NintenGo. A terrible name but I like it because it makes me laugh.

Also, I can't see Switch Less being a thing. Gonna have to vote no on this one OP.

Ginosaurio

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Switch Less sounds like a inferior version of a Switch from a marketing stand point.

If I want a Switch just for portable just call it with completely another name outside of the "Switch" brand, just adding to the system the "compatible with Nintendo Switch games" as an attribute.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Any name with a negative connotation (Less, in this case) will basically kill any consumer interest. The only exceptions to this would be insect sprays or something that removes or cleans unwanted dirt/grime/etc.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Unless Nintendo removes the USB-C port and no longer allows the unit to connect to controllers over Bluetooth, there's absolutely no reason why any portable version of Switch won't be able to be dropped onto a dock and output to the TV.

Even a TV-only model is still going to connect to Joy-Con controllers and have a library that can be played on the go.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
What about "Switched"?

You can't switch it back, it has already been switched!

Nintendo, feel free to license this from me for one hundred million dollars.

Uhh, I'll show myself out now.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
fireflyhesitationthing.gif

Monodi

Oct 27, 2017
Sonoran Desert
If they ever do a spinoff like that, it could be Switch Lite or something. They could definitely create a "Switch Systems Family" much like the 3DS, that said I am not sure if they'd release a version without detachable joycons.

Maybe they will find a way to make a smaller version? Who knows.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
You know there is already a handheld only Switch. Its called the Nintendo Switch.

You don't ever have to dock the damned thing.

People asking or thinking Nintendo is doing a dock only version or handheld only version anytime in the next 8 plus years are delusional. The system is already all of those things and their realignement for hardware and digital point to them moving forward with this type of arrangement. It benefits Nintendo none going back.

I hate to be the bubble burster here by why do you even assume it's happening

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
I want a handheld only Switch but, I legit think that one of the reasons they want (other than the logistics of them basic the entire marketing about switching between handheld and TV) is that whatever the name would be, it would be awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.