• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean like this:

Um0mTYo.jpg

Watching videos of Cuphead only strengthens that desire of mine. Nintendo has top-tier artists and gameplay designers working for them. There is still demand for old-school 2D sidescrolling Mario. And, with the release of the NES and SNES classic minis, old-school Mario is probably even more on people's minds than usual.

giphy.gif

f84ff033d545c004248e2a5319d2a3bc.gif

The game doesn't even need to have the same crazy amount of animation frames that Cuphead has (though I sure as shit wouldn't mind of it did). I just want to help you visualize what I am taking about. Beautiful 2D art/sprites, old-school-style. Reminiscent of Super Mario Bros. 3.

Fucking get Koichi Hayashida and put him on that shit, yo.

There will probably be more threads of mine that I will port over here. I don't care what you think about that.

shepcommandr

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think they could probably do something more interesting, but the idea of a 2D Mario will be immediate approachability, so I don't see them moving away from the NSMB aesthetic.

-Edit- Just to be clear, I think it's a great idea... I just don't see Nintendo doing anything to change 2D Mario. It would be a nice idea for a tile set for an eventual successor to Mario Maker though.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. NSMB was such an ugly style, and for so long.

It would be great to see some primo 2D art, and SMB3 is the sweet-spot for me as well.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
One can hope! New Super Mario Bros. was fun for a game or two but it's time to bury the series. If we get a 2D Mario that looks anything the the smb3 art and half as creative as Retro's Donkey Kong games I'll be in love.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
You mean Yoichi Kotabe's art style? Yes, I would also love that because its charming art style is used in a lot of Mario promotional material, and it's even partially used in games like Super Mario 3D Land. Here's a GameInformer excerpt when the interviewer asked Miyamoto about this subject:

GI: We've been seeing more of Yoichi Kotabe's classic Mario art lately in marketing and other places, like the character select screen in Super Mario 3D World. Will we ever see a 2D game made entirely of Kotabe's art?

SM: We're at almost like a turning point. When you look at Mickey Mouse there is the classic Mickey Mouse, and then there is the modern Mickey Mouse and the classic one has a lot of flavor to it and the modern Mickey Mouse looks really great, but it is losing a little bit of the flavor, and that's something we discuss to make sure we keep that intact as we're creating characters. And of course the development team for any Mario game may want to use Kotabe's art, but there is also a character-development team that's really working hard to create new styles and new work. Once they get more work done, I think more and more of that will be reflected into games.

Thank you for reading.

Nubzcake

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sure why not, but I would only want it if it had that much attention to detail cuphead had. I know that's probably asking to much but just go balls to the wall

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I would like selectable art styles like Mario maker, and also lots of outfits like Odyssey.

Also I can't see the image in the OP use abload plz.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
after mario maker i have a hard time seeing them making another traditional 2d mario game that's not mario makers 2

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't hold your breath, it's probably never coming since there's few Nintendo games with 2D art in these days.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If Nintendo made a 2D Mario in the style of Sonic Mania I would be absolutely ecstatic.

There's just an aesthetic look to Sprites that 2.5D can never replicate, there's a few exceptions but especially the NSMB series just looked cheap.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I'd go for a hand-animated style a la Cuphead. If they want to get more local, I'd like to see Production IG(Wario Land: Shake It!) to come back. My top pick, though, would be Kyoto Animation, with their Nichijou work proof that they can do an exaggerated cartoonish style.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure this is one of those opinions almost everyone agrees with.

That said, I did think that they finally got NSMB looking good on the 4th attempt. Different lighting and far superior backgrounds were the key.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy if they just stopped using the damn NSMB art style. I don't even think it's that bad (the Wii and U versions look great, imo), but they're just so fucking played out. Five games is enough!

Oct 27, 2017
I think they could probably do something more interesting, but the idea of a 2D Mario will be immediate approachability, so I don't see them moving away from the NSMB aesthetic.

-Edit- Just to be clear, I think it's a great idea... I just don't see Nintendo doing anything to change 2D Mario. It would be a nice idea for a tile set for an eventual successor to Mario Maker though.

Not sure how other art styles prevent it from being "approachable". It's a Mario game. It'll be approachable by default and the level design will ensure newbies can enjoy it. The art style has little to do with that

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't Odyssey have brief 2D sections in the style of SMB? Thought I saw that in a video.

In any case, a new 2D Mario in the style of SMB, SMB3, or SMW would be welcome. NSMB looked awful.

Oct 25, 2017
My vote is to make the next 2D Mario be just 3D Mario models and background details but on a 2D plane. Would look gorgeous.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Doesn't Odyssey have brief 2D sections in the style of SMB? Thought I saw that in a video.

In any case, a new 2D Mario in the style of SMB, SMB3, or SMW would be welcome. NSMB looked awful.

playing these parts in odyssey had me wondering if nintendo would ever consider doing a brand new SMB1 style game, (old sprites, modern level design, like mega man 9)

The nintendo created levels in mario maker 3ds were just magnificent. I could definitely go for more of those

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
This isn't the first thread I've seen requesting a game reminiscent to Cuphead from Nintendo.

It'd be nice if we saw another game similar to Warioland Shake It.

wario-land-shake-it-20080725013434767.jpg

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
A SMAS-style remake of Mario 1 through World with hand-drawn art assets (think the recent Wonder Boy remake, or as you mentioned, Cuphead) is at the top of my list when it comes to most-wanted remakes. As you mentioned, older Mario releases had promotional art that was oozing with charm, and would look even better in motion. What sucks is Nintendo definitely has the money to make it, and it's likely to sell well. The tech has been there since the Wii days, yet here we are. Hopefully it does happen eventually.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
New Super Mario Bros. is really just Modern Mario art style if you group them all together. There isn't much separating it from Mario Kart's or Galaxy's art style. What I feel is lacking in the 2D platformers is a sense of dynamics. Each game has a different art but, the games share very similar presentation styles, animations and a fair bit of physics. It leads to a similar game feel even though comparing screenshots you can tell they are different games, There's a reason why most major 2D platformers these days usually have a multi plane mechanic or at least has 2.5D camera angles.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great idea and I think they'd be able to pull it off amazingly.

I just don't think they'd do it.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what the next 2d Mario will look like but I do think Nintendo is done with the NSMB style. Nintendo seems to be in a very adventurous and experimental mood for the Switch generation and I see that carrying over to the next 2d Mario game.

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the only person who liked the NSMBU art style sometimes. It's familiar and cozy. I hope they keep it.

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't the first thread I've seen requesting a game reminiscent to Cuphead from Nintendo.

It'd be nice if we saw another game similar to Warioland Shake It.

wario-land-shake-it-20080725013434767.jpg
Wario Land Shake It still looks amazing. While Cuphead like animation might be a bit much to expect, something like this would be more than enough for me, and if they could do it for a freaking Wario Land game surely they can afford to do it for a 2D Mario as well.

Deleted member 7079

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had the same thought as the OP for years now, since at least seeing the in-game character icons in Super Mario 3D World. This needs to happen eventually!

maxresdefault.jpg