• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I don't want to create some conspiracy theory but since Nintendo didn't grace us with any knowledge of the upcoming Online Membership "special discounts", I'm assuming they may be waiting to see just how many people will sign up regardless to see how aggressive or nonchalant they will need to be with discounts to further sweeten the pot.

Nintendo has rarely been most generous with discounts and I'm very skeptical that Nintendo will go beyond the 30% max discounts for gold points on 1st party/ or Console Exclusive games and just continue with their frugal business as usual if there isn't enough backlash.

PlayStation on the other hand has always been pretty generous with discounting their 1st party/ or Console Exclusives after the initial sales pretty aggressively. To me, they just want to get as many people playing their games as possible since newer games are always coming out from 3rd parties that will forever tug at everyone's attention, which is why I don't understand Nintendo's stance on not "devaluing" their games. It's just entertainment Nintendo and newer things are coming out all the time which makes older things less appealing to the majority.

Now I know Nintendo started doing the Nintendo Selects and I just wanted to see exactly how many they have for display. I've also sifted through PlayStation's store as well.

Nintendo's Select Games: $19.99
3DS
Super Mario 3D Land (Released in 2011)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Released in 2013)
Ultimate NES Remix (Released in 2014)
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (Released in 2013)
Kirby: Triple Deluxe ( (Released in 2014)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Released in 2013)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo (Released in 2016)
Tomodachi Life (Released in 2014)
Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends (Released in 2011)
Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins 3DS (Released in 2013)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Released in 2013)
Mario Party: Island Tour (Released in 2013)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Released in 2011)
Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest (Released in 2013)
Yoshi's New Island (Released in 2014)
Wii U
NES Remix Pack (Released in 2014)
Nintendo Land (Released in 2012)
Super Mario 3D World (Released in 2013)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Released in 2014)
The Legend of Zelda: The WInd Waker HD (Released in 2013)
Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Released in 2010)
Animal Crossing: City Folk (Released in 2008)
Super Mario All-Stars (Released in 2010)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Released in 2010)
And surprisingly this wasn't on the list but I recently bought this to see where the Metroid Prime 4 hype came from...
Metroid Prime: Trilogy (Released in 2009)

Now I was a little surprised by the amount of games so I applaud at least that effort into older games despite most of them being on the 3DS but another thing came to mind while I was looking,
Where is Breath of the Wild, Arms, Splatoon 1 or 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Kirby Star Allies, etc....

If PlayStation is willing discount their multi-million console exclusive/1st party or even niche line-up like...

Playstation Hits: $19.99
Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition (Released in 2017)
Everybody's Golf (Also receiving VR support soon) (Released in 2017)
Knack (Released in 2013)
Knack 2 (Released in 2017)
Yakuza 0 (Released in 2017)
Yakuza Kiwami (Released in 2017)
Persona 4 Golden (Released in 2012)
Wipeout Omega Collection (Has VR support) (Released in 2017)
The Last Guardian (Released in 2016)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitve Edition (Released in 2016)
Mirror's Edge Catalyst (Released in 2016)
Gravity Rush 2 (Released in 2017)
Lego Harry Potter Collection (Released in 2016)
Guilty Gear Xrd (Released in 2016)
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Released in 2016)
Ratchet & Clank (Released in 2016) (Also was free for PS Plus)
Street Fighter V (Released in 2016)
Tearaway Unfolded (Released in 2015)
Mortal Kombat XL (Released in 2016)
Dishonored Definitive Edition (Released in 2015) (Also was free for PS Plus)
Until Dawn (Released in 2015) (Also was free for PS Plus)
God of War 3 Remastered (Released in 2015) (Also was free for PS Plus)
Doom (Released in 2016) (Fun Fact: It's still FULL PRICE on the Eshop)
Final Fantasy Type 0 HD (Released in 2015)
Project Cars (Released in 2015)
BloodBorne (Released in 2015) (Also was free for PS Plus)
Little Big Planet 3 (Released in 2014)
The Order: 1886 (Released in 2015)
Infamous First Light(Released in 2014) (Also was free for PS Plus)
Infamous Second Son (Released in 2014) (Also was free for PS Plus)
The Last of Us Remastered (Released in 2014)
Dynasty Warriors 8 Extreme Lengends Completed Edition (Released in 2014)
Battlefield 4 (Released in 2013)
Killzone ShadowFall (Released in 2013)

.....why can't Nintendo also discount more of their bigger and now slightly older games just like the PlayStation list instead of their ridiculously older games. The newest game on the Nintendo list was on 3DS (2016) Animal Crossing.

Will the Nintendo Online Membership give 60 to 80% discounts like PS Plus does quite often or will they just stick to their measly 30 to 33% discounts? Each company has their way of being anti-consumer but I just feel Nintendo does it in their frugality (along with system features now) and has always gotten a pass. At first Nintendo was in their own little bubble but they are starting to adopt more of the mainstream policies and I believe they should also get the same kind of backlash.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I agree. It's the reason why I find it hard to pick up games on the Switch at the moment, as games are more expensive than the PS4 counter-parts with no added benefit (I don't take my Switch outside the house). Sony also have constant (weekly?) sales so it's never impossible to have a huge backlog of games to play on the PlayStation.

Also just a little correction to your PlayStation list - Knack, MGSV and Infamous: First Light have been 'free' on PS Plus whilst GoW 3 Remastered isn't forever free (Unless I'm mistaken) its the current month that it's free.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whether you take Switch out or not, is not the point... the technology was made to allow that. You choose not to take advantage is not Nintendo's problem and they won't discount a fraction off the base system price because it cost them a certain amount to make, and they want to also make a certain profit.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
newsflash:
sony isn't discounting their recent games cuz they like their costumers, it's cuz they stop selling few months, of course there are exceptions of games they have that have decent legs, but none of them come close to nintendo games' legs. they don't discount them out of goodwill, they do it so they can make some more money out of their investment. nintendo doesn't do it cuz most of their games keep on selling for years. they don't need to discount mario kart/odyssey/botw/splatoon, cuz for years they'll sell 1 mil+ each quarter. is it good that they keep their price? not for me as a customer, but it makes complete sense. i'm sure other publishers would LOVE if their games were able to maintain their price.

It's just entertainment Nintendo and newer things are coming out all the time which makes older things less appealing to the majority.
this may be true for sony games, but not for nintendo. someone buying a switch today will most likely want to play odyssey and botw, and also pick up mario kart for some multiplayer. there's no reason for nintendo to discount these games now

To me, they just want to get as many people playing their games
they want to make as much money as possible with the investment they made on these games years ago. since people have stopped buying them and are more interested in newer games, or those who are looking for them can buy cheap used copies, the only way to keep profiting from that investment is to heavily discount the games. then add all the dlc and sell a complete edition. then discount that version. nintendo doesn't do that cuz they don't need to.

The newest game on the Nintendo list was on 3DS (2016) Animal Crossing.
that's actually a 2012 game, with free dlc added.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's games usually hold value which is why they're at that price.
Like, weren't BOTW and MK8D pretty high on the NPDs last month despite being nearly fully price?

3rd party switch tax probably doesn't have much to do with any Nintendo policy. Just feel like they can get that much out of users because the platform is popular.

As for expecting major discounts with Nintendo Online, probably best not to.
I'm hoping for double gold coins myself (10% off)

OP
OP
Ryengeku

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I agree. It's the reason why I find it hard to pick up games on the Switch at the moment, as games are more expensive than the PS4 counter-parts with no added benefit (I don't take my Switch outside the house). Sony also have constant (weekly?) sales so it's never impossible to have a huge backlog of games to play on the PlayStation.

Also just a little correction to your PlayStation list - Knack, MGSV and Infamous: First Light have been 'free' on PS Plus whilst GoW 3 Remastered isn't forever free (Unless I'm mistaken) its the current month that it's free.
That may be right. I remember it being discounted for like $3 for a while with PS Plus and then it did have another free month once before as well.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The pricing on Nintendo games being kept inflated indefinitely in most cases is a big reason why I don't bother with most Nintendo games.

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
It's a double-edged sword. People know that Nintendo keeps their prices high, so people will buy their games no matter what time. But, it makes things harder for consumers because their prices are higher than most of the competition, relative to release, so they'll naturally gravitate to a cheaper product.

As someone who likes to keep in mind rising development costs and the sustainability of high production games, though, the race to $20 that I see in a lot of non-Nintendo games is a little worrisome. It reminds me of the speech Iwata did in a GDC a while back about comparing traditional video games and prices to the AppStore's race to the bottom. I think the deep discounts in these games have been a direct contributor of the rise of DLC and microtransactions in the current and last generation. When games don't generate enough profit through base game sales, there needs to be other ways of generating income. And despite also entering the game of DLC and microtransactions, Nintendo generally has been above the board when it comes to those practices.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
The pricing on Nintendo games being kept inflated indefinitely in most cases is a big reason why I don't bother with most Nintendo games.
That's the major issue.
I have like 5 games for 3DS, DS and Wii while i have over 50 games for PS2, PS3, PS4 and Vita.
Mario Kart DS is still 40 bucks and it drives me nuts.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The "Nintendo games have legs" excuse doesn't make sense when even their games that don't have legs don't get any serious discount, Sony also did a temporary discount on GoW despite it topping the charts.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
newsflash:
sony isn't discounting their recent games cuz they like their costumers, it's cuz they stop selling few months, of course there are exceptions of games they have that have decent legs, but none of them come close to nintendo games' legs.
This is true in some instances but it isn't the case with every game. There's software that we know didn't sell well that still have a pretty high price tag on both the eShop and in stores months and sometimes even years after they release.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "Nintendo games have legs" excuse doesn't make sense when even their games that don't have legs don't get any serious discount, Sony also did a temporary discount on GoW despite it topping the charts.
op isn't asking for sushido to be discounted, he wants discounts on "Breath of the Wild, Arms, Splatoon 1 or 2, Super Mario Oddysey, Kirby Star Allies, etc....". if you were nintendo and were seeing the numbers these are pulling at full price, would you discount them?

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
.....why can't Nintendo also discount more of their bigger and now slightly older games just like the PlayStation list instead of their ridiculously older games.

Because Nintendo is run by a bunch of overinflated egos who think their older games are far more valuable than they actually are. Many of their fans have also resigned to this way of thinking.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
op isn't asking for sushido to be discounted, he wants discounts on "Breath of the Wild, Arms, Splatoon 1 or 2, Super Mario Oddysey, Kirby Star Allies, etc....". if you were nintendo and were seeing the numbers these are pulling at full price, would you discount them?
Kirby and Arms are not more leggy than Sony's big games, OP is talking about first party titles and not all Nintendo franchises are leggy.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
newsflash:
sony isn't discounting their recent games cuz they like their costumers, it's cuz they stop selling few months, of course there are exceptions of games they have that have decent legs, but none of them come close to nintendo games' legs. they don't discount them out of goodwill, they do it so they can make some more money out of their investment. nintendo doesn't do it cuz most of their games keep on selling for years. they don't need to discount mario kart/odyssey/botw/splatoon, cuz for years they'll sell 1 mil+ each quarter. is it good that they keep their price? not for me as a customer, but it makes complete sense. i'm sure other publishers would LOVE if their games were able to maintain their price.
This right here. I certainly don't like paying full price for games, but Nintendo gets away with it. Their games simply sell well years after they release. The same couldn't be said for any other publisher/developer.
There are also examples of Nintendo games selling pretty poorly after a while and those do get discounts. If people keep buying the games at full price, Nintendo won't lower the price.

Another reason I think is because they don't release many games in the same series. It's unlikely we'll see another Splatoon or Mariokart this gen. It was especially the case for older systems. It's usually 1 game per system for lots of those series. Series like Fire Emblem and Pokémon are more of an exception. And I don't need to tell anyone how well Pokémon sells with all those releases.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This topic is really useless tbh All the time we can discuss this and talk about this but that won't change that Nintendo isn't going to discount their games in the way that the others do. It's a thing that was accepted by their public for decades and people pay for it. The topic always goes and come back but it's quite useless in that sense.

And the argument of getting a pass is really weak because outside of our bubble in the internet, the mass market think different about those titles. And that's not only with Nintendo but other companies as well in other subjects.

There should be no reason why Kirby is still $60 buck.

Actually, there is. It's still selling. Months after it's release it sold 600k.

Because Nintendo is run by a bunch of overinflated egos who think their older games are far more valuable than they actually are. Many of their fans have also resigned to this way of thinking.

That's just stupid. Without even entering that their ~older games~ are actually new from 1 year ago.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, Nintendo trained me to buy their games at launch because they don't ever really go down in price. For example, I have a passive interest in Super Mario Party and I know I'll onlynplay it a few times with my wife. I'm buying it at launch because I know it's not gonna drop in price almost ever. I'm waiting until Christmas to get Spider-Man and Tomb Raider because I guarantee you I can get both for them for about $25 each over Christmas.

This is just how I've been trained to buy games for the last decade. I probably buy more games for Xbox/PS4 each year than I do Nintendo systems, but all of my Nintendo purchases are day one full price and my other system purchases are pretty much $20 for games a year or less old.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018

It's really this; Splatoon is three years old and on a dead system, superseded by the quasi-sequel on the new system.

Nintendo still lists it at $60. An outdated version of a game on a console Nintendo pushed out the window the first chance they got and at this point they're trying to erase ever happened by putting every hit they ever had on it onto Switch as fast as possible.

OP
OP
Ryengeku

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
newsflash:

this may be true for sony games, but not for nintendo. someone buying a switch today will most likely want to play odyssey and botw, and also pick up mario kart for some multiplayer. there's no reason for nintendo to discount these games now

they want to make as much money as possible with the investment they made on these games years ago. since people have stopped buying them and are more interested in newer games, or those who are looking for them can buy cheap used copies, the only way to keep profiting from that investment is to heavily discount the games. then add all the dlc and sell a complete edition. then discount that version. nintendo doesn't do that cuz they don't need to.

that's actually a 2012 game, with free dlc added.
Upfront, more money is better but I'd think that exposure at more acceptable prices in the long run makes for better consumer base building. Then when you come out with another hit and a larger consumer base, you'll still make a decent amount of money but it doesn't have to be ALL the money.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who likes to keep in mind rising development costs and the sustainability of high production games, though, the race to $20 that I see in a lot of non-Nintendo games is a little worrisome. It reminds me of the speech Iwata did in a GDC a while back about comparing traditional video games and prices to the AppStore's race to the bottom. I think the deep discounts in these games have been a direct contributor of the rise of DLC and microtransactions in the current and last generation. When games don't generate enough profit through base game sales, there needs to be other ways of generating income. And despite also entering the game of DLC and microtransactions, Nintendo generally has been above the board when it comes to those practices.
yeah this. the devaluation of games isn't good for the industry, and will lead to more and more anti-consumer practices like loot boxes and microtransactions. i'm actually surprised why sony is willing to devalue these amazing blockbuster games they put out, stuff like horizon, uncharted, god of war, these are high budget, received games that aren't available anywhere else. i don't see why sony wants to join third parties in discounting these games.

Kirby and Arms are not more leggy than Sony's big games, OP is talking about first party titles and not all Nintendo franchises are leggy.
kirby seems to have amazing legs in the japan charts. and there's also the fact that it's in their best interest to maintain the value of their IPS. if they discount kirby and arms now, that will decrease the number of people who will jump in day 1 to buy arms 2 or the next kirby games, knowing they'll be half the price a year after launch. they maintain their price, and people no there's no reason to not buy nintendo games day 1.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At first Nintendo was in their own little bubble but they are starting to adopt more of the mainstream policies and I believe they should also get the same kind of backlash.
Complain don't work with Nintendo. Never did. People having been banging their heads against aawall with nintendo for years now and got nothing. You either don't buy their products to show that you really will not accept or put up with their policies.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
.....why can't Nintendo also discount more of their bigger and now slightly older games just like the PlayStation list instead of their ridiculously older games.
1. They don't need to because their big games continue to sell at full price.
2. They don't have as many games to discount and currently lack the kind of relationships Sony has with certain third parties to get them to discount theirs. Many of the PS games you listed were not made by SCE/SIE, take them out and the numbers are fairly comparable.
Will the Nintendo Online Membership give 60 to 80% discounts like PS Plus does quite often or will they just stick to their measly 30 to 33% discounts?
Why would a service that costs $20 give the same discounts as one that costs $60?

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
You don't know these ppl so why even make these claims?

The market usually dictates what companies charge. Wii U games were selling like shit so Iwata and the gang were constantly talking about software pricing adjustments for certain titles and they also fell back with that 'premium software pricing' stance with their mobile games after they left money on the table with Super Mario Run.

Nintendo is sell at those prices because in most cases ppl are buying at those prices. I don't like it but I can't knock the hustle.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
kirby seems to have amazing legs in the japan charts. and there's also the fact that it's in their best interest to maintain the value of their IPS. if they discount kirby and arms now, that will decrease the number of people who will jump in day 1 to buy arms 2 or the next kirby games, knowing they'll be half the price a year after launch. they maintain their price, and people no there's no reason to not buy nintendo games day 1.
That's really a weak excuse to not discount, Games on other consoles be it from first or third party have no problem doing big numbers at launch despite getting discounts faster, GoW is literally the fastest selling PlayStation exclusive and yet that received limited discounts a few months in.

Kirby released this year, also it is pretty leggy in japan
And how does not discounting a game because it's leggy in a single market makes sense?

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
The one good thing about those prices is that it allows indie games to be competitive.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I have like 5 games for 3DS, DS and Wii while i have over 50 games for PS2, PS3, PS4 and Vita.
Mario Kart DS is still 40 bucks and it drives me nuts.

3DS titles at $40 are a bargain really. There are also lots of Nintendo Selects titles, so even if you don't like paying full price you can buy a lot of great Nintendo games at those ridiculously low Selects prices.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another reason I think is because they don't release many games in the same series. It's unlikely we'll see another Splatoon or Mariokart this gen. It was especially the case for older systems. It's usually 1 game per system for lots of those series. Series like Fire Emblem and Pokémon are more of an exception. And I don't need to tell anyone how well Pokémon sells with all those releases.
this is also a very important reason. unlike a lot of publishers having many entries in one series on one platform, nintendo does one or two for most of their series. there's rarely a new game from x series on the same platform that devalues the previous game.

That's really a weak excuse to not discount, Games on other consoles be it from first or third party have no problem doing big numbers at launch despite getting discounts faster, GoW is literally the fastest selling PlayStation exclusive and yet that received limited discounts a few months in.
excuse? i'm not making any excuse, that's just how it is, and a thread on an internet forum isn't going to change nintendo's policy again devaluing their games.
and GoW is an amazing game, sold a fuckton, but a year from now isn't gonna do 100k each quarter for sony. a lot of switch games will do tho.

OP
OP
Ryengeku

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
do you think nintendo has any trouble building a consumer base or giving their games exposure?
Not really and we don't have any way of knowing right now but do you think Nintendo will get back up to Wii numbers or even 3DS numbers if every one of their 1st party games stay full price and someone is looking to jump in late? Would they be enticed if all 10 or more 1st party games were still full price rather than $20?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do not intend this as a console war dick measuring post, though I know it will be interpreted as such by some.

Let's take a look at Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild purely from a sales perspective

Both games were console exclusive titles (only looking at the Switch BotW for comparison reasons) released roughly around the same time with great critical reception. Both sold very well at release, with Zelda doing a little better. This would be expected, as Zelda is a massively popular franchise and had an especially positive reception. But for one reason or another, a few months after release, Horizon Zero Dawn was discounted, first to $40, and then to $20, and packaged with its DLC. Breath of the Wild was never discounted outside of maybe a few short deals, and despite that still regularly makes the top 10 in Media Create charts, still places in UK Chart Track, a market where Nintendo is historically weaker, and was one of the best selling games in last months NPD, and I bet it will be high when we get the next one on Tuesday.

My point is, Nintendo being frugal by not discounting there games keeps up the reputation of their products holding their value, and does not have a detrimental effect on sales for doing so. In fact, it seems to have the opposite effect, in that since there is no ideal time to buy a Nintendo game, people will just buy them whenever convenient instead of holding off for a better deal. From a business perspective, there is no reason for them to discount these games and doing so would actively hurt them. Microsoft, Steam, and Sony aren't being "generous" because they love you, and would adopt Nintendo's policies in a heartbeat if they could get away with it. Which they probably could, if they had not trained their customers to expect a better deal shortly after launch.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
excuse? i'm not making any excuse, that's just how it is, and a thread on an internet forum isn't going to change nintendo's policy again devaluing their games.
and GoW is an amazing game, sold a fuckton, but a year from now isn't gonna do 100k each quarter for sony.

Uh, are you sure about that?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
and GoW is an amazing game, sold a fuckton, but a year from now isn't gonna do 100k each quarter for sony. a lot of switch games will do tho.
I didn't say you're making excuses, that is what Nintendo uses acording to you, as for your GoW point, have you seen the sales of Sony games this gen? All their big games are still charting be it physical or digital, they are a different beasts this gen and really the notion that they don't have legs don't apply anymore, Nintendo also have a lot of games that don't sell for long and don't get discounts, how do you explain that?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And how does not discounting a game because it's leggy in a single market makes sense?
it's not leggy just in one market, japan is just the market that gives weekly sales numbers so it's more clear to see the legs there. i guess we have to wait until nintendo's next financial report, but it's obvious that the game will sell a lot in its second quarter too.

Not really and we don't have any way of knowing right now but do you think Nintendo will get back up to Wii numbers or even 3DS numbers if every one of their 1st party games stay full price and someone is looking to jump in late? Would they be enticed if all 10 or more 1st party games were still full price rather than $20?
not sure what you're saying, but "getting back to 3DS" numbers makes no sense cuz switch will easily surpass 3DS. and the wii and 3DS numbers got there mostly on the strength of full price nintendo games.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would actually buy some switch games if Nintendo had reasonable sales as I don't consider many of them worth $50+. Hell a lot of them have been $45 at best buy recently and with GCU makes them around 38 and I still hesitate on spending that much on games like mario kart or kirby (games you play for like 3 hours and go through all of its content).

I don't expect their online platform to offer anything more significant than what they already do. Not enough to make any kind of difference or to justify buying an online sub. If they were a normal company you could guess that they'd be aggressive early on to bait people into subbing and then ease off after a while but they're clearly not a normal company.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Also, I doubt anyone expecting permanent fast drops for their games, it would be nice to do limited +50% off like other platforms are doing from time to time.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo also have a lot of games that don't sell for long and don't get discounts, how do you explain that?
i did. by heavily discounting those games, even if they sell bad and have no legs, they train their audience that "nintendo games go on sale if i wait a bit". they don't do it so the notion doesn't exist, and those who are interested in nintendo games know that it doesn't matter if they buy them day 1 or wait a year, it's gonna be the same price.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When you buy Nintendo you know your getting quality so I'm fine with it. I usually day one anything that I may like.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
i did. by heavily discounting those games, even if they sell bad and have no legs, they train their audience that "nintendo games go on sale if i wait a bit". they don't do it so the notion doesn't exist, and those who are interested in nintendo games know that it doesn't matter if they buy them day 1 or wait a year, it's gonna be the same price.
I already replied to why that doesn't make sense, first and third party games aren't performing badly on other consoles because people think they will get them cheaper at a later date.

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017
Nintendo seems to be using discounts on the evergreen titles to drive console sales. Best Buy has run the promotion that you get 50% off one of the big 4 (BOTW, SMO, MK8D, S2) with purchase of a Switch twice in recent weeks, and Target is running it this week. They also have a 15 % off everything thing going on, so you could get Switch and an evergreen for under $300 with stacking the discounts.

Also, Best Buy and Amazon have lots of first party Switch games on sale pretty regularly, though the discount seems to be dropping them to $44.99. They're doing that with Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 this week. Smaller discounts for Kirby and a Tropical Freeze, but they are also on sale. The deals are out there if you have some patients, but they aren't going to do a fire sale that undercuts the market value of their evergreen titles.