• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I still think Nintendo's smaller, formerly portable-focused series that don't quite make sense for Switch could make for some fantastic mobile output. WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven come to mind, as well as some sort of phone-based Streetpass-style game? I think I just miss Streetpass.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
What are the estimates on the sales right now? 3 million in Japan + whatever digital (200,000+?).

How much has been sold in the US and Europe?

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they don't put all of their focus on smart phones...

I can't imagine that they will. Note that those same comments came from an interview where he also said, according to my math, that they made approximately $300 million in revenue (5 million games x $60) in one week off of one game that will continue to sell while also offering a DLC platform. For Nintendo, mobile (alongside movies, theme parks, merchandise, etc.) offer revenue streams that aren't dependent on the success of their own platforms.

EDIT: If the comment was sarcasm, my apologies for missing it.

Ah, I knew these numbers sounded familiar! I'm excited to see those Q3 results to see how Smash did in one month.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I still think Nintendo's smaller, formerly portable-focused series that don't quite make sense for Switch could make for some fantastic mobile output. WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven come to mind, as well as some sort of phone-based Streetpass-style game? I think I just miss Streetpass.

Ehh.. there's no reason series can't also be on Switch either. But I do think Nintendo should look back into the DS well for some Smartphone games. Nintendogs would be perfect for it, and would make far more sense there than one the Switch due to the hybrid nature and a lack of a microphone.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Is this good compared to other flagship Switch titles?
It would be good for any game on any platform thats exclusive to one system. God of War and Spiderman have met or exceeded 10 million over a couple months. Smash got half that number in a week. Hell look at Mario Kart it is over 10 mil and its been out a year+. Again Smash did 5 in a week.

si2k78

Nov 6, 2017
I can't imagine that they will. Note that those same comments came from an interview where he also said, according to my math, that they made approximately $300 million in revenue (5 million games x $60) in one week off of one game that will continue to sell while also offering a DLC platform. For Nintendo, mobile (alongside movies, theme parks, merchandise, etc.) offer revenue streams that aren't dependent on the success of their own platforms.

EDIT:

Ah, I knew these numbers sounded familiar! I'm excited to see those Q3 results to see how Smash did in one month.
I think it was sarcasm....

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London

Nintendogs
Rhythm Heaven
Advance Wars

Also, you're fucking right, Wario Ware could be a genuine hit amongst young adults. It's one of the best party games out there.

On that note, Mario Party probably ought to as well.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
5M WW in three days for an exclusive... absolutely mental. 20M as the floor for this title.

Nintendo's software sale page is gonna look rediculous for the next update rofl

Shizza

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Nintendo, and well deserved. The game is fantastic, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I think the biggest takeaway is that the Switch is seeing Nintendo's most successful software in years. It's to the point where even their more niche releases like ARMS or Snipperclips can pull at least half a million. People are buying all sorts of games on the Switch because its hardware and flexibility just feels good to play games on.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I think the biggest takeaway is that the Switch is seeing Nintendo's most successful software in years. It's to the point where even their more niche releases like ARMS or Snipperclips can pull at least half a million. People are buying all sorts of games on the Switch because its hardware and flexibility just feels good to play games on.
ARMS even pulled 2 million and its a new fighting IP! Crazy

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
ARMS even pulled 2 million and its a new fighting IP! Crazy

I think Switch's strong software sales should really make Nintendo more confident in taking risks with their games again. I typically feel that the more successful the platform, the more creative risks you can take on it because the large install base means there's bound to be a good number of people out there who'll enjoy it.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I think Switch's strong software sales should really make Nintendo more confident in taking risks with their games again. I typically feel that the more successful the platform, the more creative risks you can take on it because the large install base means there's bound to be a good number of people out there who'll enjoy it.
I think this is prime opportunity for Punch Out, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, etc. I bet you Pikmin would sell half a million in Japan alone.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Combined Pokemon 2019

As an individual sku Smash
I think Smash and Mario Kart 8 will outsell Pokémon 2019 in the long run. Pokémon games tend to sell in between 15-20 million LTD and Smash should be around 11-12 million shipped in under a month and will have strong legs. Mario Kart 8 will sell the whole life of the system and could be 30+ million by the end of the cycle.

Odyssey and Breath of the Wild will also be in the range of Pokémon if it hits that typical 15-20 million range.

Switch is a beast in terms of software attach rate though, so maybe Pokémon can really expand its audience even further with a big evolution of the series.