• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like iQue Ltd. (or Shenyou Technologies Co., Ltd.), a 100% owned Nintendo subsidiary in China, is fully positioning itself to become a game programming / tool programming assistant for Nintendo games. The subsidiary was originally founded in 2002 with Nintendo 64 /GameCube architect Wei Yen, to create and sell versions of Nintendo products under a custom hardware branded the iQue line to get past the China ban.

Since July 2017, the company's classification changed from Sales Agency (mainland China distributor/localization) to development, testing and localizing.

July - 2016 Nintendo
- Development Nintendo Co., Ltd., Nintendo Technology Development Inc., Nintendo Software Technology Corporation, Retro Studios, Inc., Nintendo European Research and Development SAS, ND CUBE Co., Ltd., 1-UP Studio Inc., MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC., Mario Club Co., Ltd.

- Manufacture Nintendo Co., Ltd.

- Sale Nintendo Co., Ltd., Nintendo of America Inc., Nintendo of Canada Ltd., Nintendo of Europe GmbH, Nintendo France S.A.R.L., Nintendo Benelux B.V., Nintendo Ibérica, S.A., Nintendo Australia Pty Limited, Nintendo RU LLC., Nintendo of Korea Co., Ltd., iQue (China) Ltd., Nintendo (Hong Kong) Limited

to

July - 2019 Nintendo
- Development Nintendo Co., Ltd., Nintendo Technology Development Inc., Nintendo Software Technology Corporation, Retro Studios, Inc., Nintendo European Research and Development SAS, iQue (China) Ltd., ND CUBE Co., Ltd., 1-UP Studio Inc., MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC., Mario Club Co., Ltd.

- Manufacture Nintendo Co., Ltd.

- Sale Nintendo Co., Ltd., Nintendo of America Inc., Nintendo of Canada Ltd., Nintendo of Europe GmbH, Nintendo France S.A.R.L., Nintendo Benelux B.V., Nintendo Ibérica, S.A., Nintendo Australia Pty Limited, Nintendo RU LLC., Nintendo of Korea Co., Ltd., Nintendo (Hong Kong) Limited, Nintendo Sales Co., Ltd.

Some noticed how its iQue localization team continued to translate Nintendo games into simple Chinese while Nintendo Hong Kong handled traditional Chinese, but iQue Ltd. is fully venturing into game development and hiring game programmers and testers.

(1) Job - Programmer
  • Development of game software projects for Nintendo-related platforms.
  • According to the specific conditions of the project, work with art and designers to complete the development of the project.
  • Engaged in the development of tool software related to the project.
(2) Job - Tester
  • Game test
  • Japanese contact

It seems like they are mirroring Nintendo's current set-up with Nintendo Software Technology (NST) in Redmond, minus the art team. This continues the trend of Nintendo repurposing their subsidiaries to become assistant developers to their centralized EPD Division. This is also the first major R&D connection to China outside of their debug/localization outsourcing to Digital Hearts and Pole to Win who have roots in China and Southeast Asia.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
That's cool, maybe this could be the start of Nintendo branching into Chinese established game development

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I'm not sure how far this will go beyond this initial plan but I'm rather excited to see if they eventually produce some games of their own. Game development is at it's best when fresh talent is guided by the old guard. I hope these chinese developers introduce new ideas. But if all they do is support other studios as it's described, that's cool too.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know this business unit was still around. I always associated it with the special version of the Gamecube that could play DVD's (??)

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know this business unit was still around. I always associated it with the special version of the Gamecube that could play DVD's (??)

That was Panasonic. This is the first product from iQue.

iQue_HR_MG-sm.jpg

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's good to see another game development studio from Nintendo. Lord knows they could use some more.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with games getting bigger, they'll need all the help they can get. maybe we'll even see some eshop titles directed by them

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
with games getting bigger, they'll need all the help they can get. maybe we'll even see some eshop titles directed by them

I don't think that's a near-future thing. If you look at Namco-Bandai and Koei-Tecmo, they clearly use China and Southeast Asia to bolster their production team while the main design still takes place in their central Japan offices.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty cool. Most people really only know NetEase and Tencent but Sony has been highlighting a ton of good stuff from smaller devs to Western players. There's a lot of potential here.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nice. hopefully they're able to assist in the development of some cool games and maybe one day we may see a game entirely developed by them.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
nice. will be interested to see what iQue develops. Will probably be catered towards the Chinese market

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
I've noticed that they stopped being a distribution subsidiary a few years ago and wonder what are they gonna do with it now. I guess in hindsight it wasn't really surprising. But Nintendo need every help it can to developed games so this is good nonetheless.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
That's really awesome! Nice to see Nintendo setting up another studio. I wonder if they'll only be support, or if they'll do some original projects eventually? Very interested in what they'll work on.