• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
www.videogamer.com

Nintendo’s next console will “utilise” the unique elements of the Switch

The company will "extend" the Switch's life cycle for now
Nintendo's next game system will bring forward the unique elements and learning experiences of the Switch.

This is a woolly answer, for sure, yet Nintendo isn't one to showboat. In its 80th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders, an investor suggested that Nintendo should surpass the "limits" of a TV or an external monitor for their next console. Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa and director and senior executive officer Ko Shiota replied by praising the Switch, and saying that whatever is next for Nintendo, it would springboard from the successes of this console.

"Our current generation game system, Nintendo Switch, has entered its fourth year since launch, but its momentum is increasing," stated Furukawa. "We believe there are two factors behind this. First is the existence of two hardware configurations with different characteristics, in Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite. The second factor is that Nintendo's development resources are concentrated on developing content for a single platform, Nintendo Switch. We want to extend the life cycle of Nintendo Switch while maximising such advantages."
"From the perspective of playing with the image displayed on a TV, we believe that because consumers can play Nintendo Switch on a TV or the game console screen itself, it has greatly increased the opportunities for gameplay in various scenes in their lives, compared to previous consoles," he explained. "Through Nintendo Switch, we've made many discoveries about where a dedicated video game platform can fit into a consumer's daily life. We see scenes on social media of children and their families sitting around a game console to play, which gives us a renewed sense of the value of our dedicated video game platform. We will utilise these experiences in carefully considering the form our future game consoles will take."

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for something more premium feeling with all the same basic functionality

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Good! But it's not like they could drop the hybrid concept even if they wanted to. Going handheld only would be pointless, and making another home-only console would be suicide

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Seems like no Switch Pro then, just Switch 2 in a few years.
You missed this part:
"Our current generation game system, Nintendo Switch, has entered its fourth year since launch, but its momentum is increasing," stated Furukawa. "We believe there are two factors behind this. First is the existence of two hardware configurations with different characteristics, in Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite. The second factor is that Nintendo's development resources are concentrated on developing content for a single platform, Nintendo Switch. We want to extend the life cycle of Nintendo Switch while maximising such advantages."

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
This is the way to go forward. A more powerful more sturdy built Switch 2 and I am happy. Rather work on the OS and the Switch to Switch features ... and of course the online service, that would make the next Switch a tremendous success.

Nov 14, 2017
Everyone Nintendo console from here out should be a portable you can display on TV (or a console you can take with you) like the Switch.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Where are these quotes being pulled from? Is this from an interview or something, not very clear from the article.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Nintendo struck jackpot with the Switch concept and I hope they stick with it just as Sony have stuck with the PlayStation branding.

Switch 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. I'd have no complaints.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Keep hybrid is all I ask. In fact, just making a more powerful successor would be ideal.

Yamanote Line

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2020
The second factor is that Nintendo's development resources are concentrated on developing content for a single platform, Nintendo Switch.

Is it tho?

Because doesn't feel like it.

Maybe they should put more resources in video production to at least try to announce what you are doing instead of not saying anything.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo 2 Switch 2 Furious - Twinstick Drift.

Ok being serious again, i think Nintendo learned their lesson with the drop from Wii to Wii U to not just throw nearly everything they did right away.

I'm curious how capable the next system will be. Mobile SoCs now pack some serious performance punch compared to a few years ago, though they will probably go for a middleway between performance and affordability again.

If heating and power solutions would progress just as fast.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Please no "smart ass" stupid names :(

Nintendo Switch Advance or Super Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch 2 (though they never named a console 2 before)

Mar 3, 2018
Main request I have from Nintendo is that they reduce the bezel size. I play mostly on handheld mode so would be a nice design changer. Love this thing otherwise.

I wonder how long after a Switch 2 we will get a Switch Lite 2?

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo Switcheroo. Agree that it's a little late to do a Pro console, much as I need one.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is just amazing. It would also be the perfect console to provide a lot of people with VR.
I know that's just a mock-up but the idea is just sooo good.
Most diverse console by far. Switch II or Pro, Homedock is good as it is, and so on and so forth. Make it just so strong that it can at least run newer multiplats at a lower resolution and it's a wrap.

Nintendo-Switch-VR-pcgh.jpeg

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Just make it faster, add DLSS 2.0 support, make the joycons not detachable and bundle in a pro controller.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Is it tho?

Because doesn't feel like it.

Maybe they should put more resources in video production to at least try to announce what you are doing instead of not saying anything.
This is a weird comment it's clear there's been no direct as a result of the pandemic affecting workflow. Has nothing to do with more resources.