• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Wall Street Journal Article

Since 2015, Nintendo has had revenue-sharing agreements for smartphone games that it creates with partners like DeNA Co....

...In some cases, players can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars trying to win special items. Fearing such behavior will damage Nintendo's brand image, the company has asked its partners to adjust the games so that users won't spend too much, according to people familiar with Nintendo's strategy.

CyberAgent officials say Nintendo asked the game maker to adjust the game to avoid excessive spending by users.

"Nintendo is not interested in making a large amount of revenue from a single smartphone game," one CyberAgent official said. "If we managed the game alone, we would have made a lot more."

Man, Nintendo is too generous for mobile world.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Corporate greed, innit. I remember when Super Mario Fun was announced as a purchase item rather than in-app microtransactions and the shareholders were disappointed.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Corporate greed, innit. I remember when Super Mario Fun was announced as a purchase item rather than in-app microtransactions and the shareholders were disappointed.

As were mobile phone owners apparently, given the relatively poor sales of super Mario run. The mobile market being a cesspool run entirely counter to the idea that computer programs have any value at all isn't a secret though.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The greed of these companies wow. Nintendo is actually doing a good thing. Being associated with game addiction and excessive gambling mechanics is bad. Companies should figure out how to get everybody spending a little instead of getting a small fraction of the playerbase spending huge amounts of money.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Man, Dragalia Lost has already crap-tier gacha with 3 types of rewards in a single pool, and you're telling me it could've been even worse? Well damn...

The greed of these companies wow. Nintendo is actually doing a good thing. Being associated with game addiction and excessive gambling mechanics is bad. Companies should figure out how to get everybody spending a little instead of getting a small fraction of the playerbase spending huge amounts of money.

Even if they somehow managed to do that, they'd just take that as a sign they could grab even more money. They're not interested in just being profitable and fund continued development. They want to make as much as possible.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before everyone breaks out their appaluse gloves, please don't forget that Pokemon Go sells one time use pokeballs ffs :P

I know you get free ones from Pokestops before anyone pounces

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Stay beautiful as long as possible Nintendo.

The rest of these companies are more than happy to fleece their loyal customers and destroy their franchises, brands and devs for a quick buck.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Many of these mobile companies are not looking at the greater picture. Which is why so many of them are struggling or went bankrupt. Just look at how Rovio milked Angry Birds to death.

Nintendo has managed to maintain and care for their IPs better than many (if not most) other companies in the business. Milking them in the short-term might generate higher profits for a few years, but then it'll backfire.

I just hope they can mange to stick to their ways for years to come.

Oct 25, 2017
To look at this pragmatically for a moment, it's not hard to see how blowback against whale exploitation and roping children into a gambling mentality with IAPs might inflict reputational damage that bleeds into Nintendo's main-line console business. It's in their interests to protect themselves as a premium brand. If you're an average parent reading about Nintendo's brand and IPs in a story about mobile malpractice, you're not necessarily going to make the fine distinction between that and their in-house hardware/software.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lmao, bye felicia
nintendo is still making the vast majority of their money outside mobile, and they're not gonna shit on their brand by putting out super predatory mobile games

Oct 28, 2017
As were mobile phone owners apparently, given the relatively poor sales of super Mario run. The mobile market being a cesspool run entirely counter to the idea that computer programs have any value at all isn't a secret though.
It probably would have helped if Super Mario Run was actually good. Such a disappointment. I was expecting at least Rayman quality.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Dragalia Lost has already crap-tier gacha with 3 types of rewards in a single pool, and you're telling me it could've been even worse? Well damn...

Even if they somehow managed to do that, they'd just take that as a sign they could grab even more money. They're not interested in just being profitable and fund continued development. They want to make as much as possible.
The FTP model is fundamentally broken. I don't really see it as entertainment but more as programs that exploit human weaknesses with entertainment. I have less problems with games that offer payed skins and such but generally a huge amount of free to play is based on exploiting human weaknesses.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

yeah most of the user reviews were "very fun game but i have to pay $10? wtf. 1 star". mobile games have no value and only survive thanks to addicted whales.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
There is a line between needing to be profitable and being greedy. I'm glad Nintendo is at least discussing if games are going too far. It seems a lot of other game companies are discussing how to take it further.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Cyber Agent is holding company of CyGames, right? So ... as far as i understand, Dragalia Lost already has a pretty shitty gacha system, and that's after Nintendo told them to tone it down?

Yeah, i'm fine never knowing what the gacha system would've looked like without Nintendo telling them to keep it in check.

FEH's gacha is enough for me already.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's bread and butter has always been their family friendly image. Nintendo opting for a pay-to-play model for Mario Run, being very generous with Animal Crossing to the degree that people didn't even know what they would possibly even buy at launch and asking their partners like IS and CyGames to not be too aggressive with the monetization of their titles is a direct result of that - they don't want any product to harm the reputation they've established over dozens of years.

Which also makes it interesting how Nintendo will handle future mobile games like Mario Kart, since it's pretty obvious that none of the internally developed mobile games have been much of a success so far, which likely can be directly attributed to the business model Nintendo chose for each of them.

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
dragalia would be making more revenue if the gacha were made better, not worse
the mental model people here are fond of where mobile games exist to squeeze maximum revenue at the expense of users fits their narrative but doesn't hold up to reality

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I'd like to give Nintendo a pat on the back here, PR is PR. Nothing too special

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
They could market Dragalia Lost more themselves though.
Like they finally opened a US Twitter for it, but the last video for it on their Nintendo Mobile account was from 3 months ago.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I mean, FEH and Dragalia Lost are still pretty greedy games, just less so than the competition. They're less money hungry than the competition but that is a low bar.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017

Different IPs. Dragalia Lost is an IP created for cash grab and Fire Emblem, well, Nintendo'll think is an IP for adult audience.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Approach to revenue is always a tricky conversation to have particularly since I liked Miitomo's casual approach but it clearly didn't make enough which led to Nintendo shutting it down last year. Perhaps it was part of a brand (Mii) that Nintendo didn't feel like promoting much further?

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
They can't succeed in the mobile market then.
And it's all good.

People were saying mobile was the future of games. Now we see which games succeed, and the vast majority are gacha that have predatory practices.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberagent is still scapegoating Nintendo and dragalia to cover up the failure that is their streaming service?

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo is dumb. Who would even thank them for this half measure. It is better to just go full target whale than right now which they only target dolphins lol.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cyber Agent is holding company of CyGames, right? So ... as far as i understand, Dragalia Lost already has a pretty shitty gacha system, and that's after Nintendo told them to tone it down?

Yeah, i'm fine never knowing what the gacha system would've looked like without Nintendo telling them to keep it in check.

FEH's gacha is enough for me already.

Dragalia Lost biggest problem is how there is too many generous monthly bundle which target dolphins more than whales. And of course the number of thing to pull is not as excessive as most gacha game so there is little reason for whales to go crazy with their money.

They need more banner if they want to get more whales there.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is dumb. Who would even thank them for this half measure. It is better to just go full target whale than right now which they only target dolphins lol.

Nintendo isn't dumb at all. They value their brand, more than these companies who will happily burn themselves to the ground after a few years.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo isn't dumb at all. They value their brand, more than these companies who will happily burn themselves to the ground after a few years.
Nintendo actually has a chance to burn their mobile division into oblivion with Animal Crossing Switch; if they put in the paid items/gacha items in the game, the Japanese will never trust them again on the platform.