• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3112...ils-aime-talks-surprising-fans-more-to-show-i

- Nintendo is a company that loves to surprise fans
- Reggie says Nintendo has a lot more up their sleeves and a lot more to show in the "weeks and months ahead"
- Reggie says "who knows" as to why Nintendo stock dropped
- Nintendo wants to tell them about content and then launch it to drive excitement
- the pacing of news/releases will drive the Switch forward
- trial events like Mario Tennis Aces let Nintendo learn more about the challenges in network play
- once again, Switch options without the dock in Japan are not coming to North America
- In Dec 2017, 3DS grew by 27% year on year in North America
- in this year, 3DS business is up 10% in North America
- Reggie says lootboxes have gotten a bad wrap
- a gameplay mechanic that offers the consumer something to buy when they're not sure what's inside can be interesting as long as it's not the only way to get those items
- Reggie believes Furukawa is a great pick for Nintendo's next president
- Nintendo wants to create content that brings people together and encourage the community to go from their with eSports
- Reggie says the number of analysts who have "gotten it right" over the years is very small
- Nintendo holds things close to their chest and loves to surprise, and they surprise big
- Reggie says "don't worry" about analysts

Buffum

Nov 17, 2017
Daemon x Machina was a pleasant surprise, especially the deeper look we got today.
I'm sure they have a lot planned for 2019, and maybe even a few more things for 2018.
That being said, I wouldn't read too much into most of this.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
i am...still worried about what Ninty's network system will endup being like...

But this isn't like a super revealing thing. I might be one of very few who don't really care for Smash but e3 had a bunch of stuff i'm interested in for Switch so keep it rolling

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
That lootbox nonsense isn't what I want to hear from Nintendo when they can't even make a good argument for their online service yet.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Reggie said for E3 they only intend to "show content that's gonna launch over the next 6 to 9 months and no more." So if they're showing DAEMON X MACHINA and Fire Emblem, then maybe Feb and March 2019 titles respectively?

Mar 23, 2018
Nintendo is a company that loves to surprise fans

A surprise, to be sure, but not a welcome one.

Nintendo wants to tell them about content and then launch it to drive excitement

- Nintendo holds things close to their chest and loves to surprise, and they surprise big

Does this imply they are "shadow dropping" big titles in the future? I wonder how that would go. How would the world react to months of silence about an Animal Crossing game and then it shows up during a Direct, gameplay and all, ending with an "Available today". Do they have the balls to do that as a company?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Classic Reggie.

- trial events like Mario Tennis Aces let Nintendo learn more about the challenges in network play
I really hope they. I don't believe it with all the no-infos about their upcoming paid online and how Splatoon 2 still works, but I really hope they do. Mario Tennis Aces deserves better than what was during the Demo

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reggie always talks with the confidence of a man who knows he has the biggest dick in the room.

I am also not sure why people are surprised about his lootbox comments. Their most successful mobile title is built entirely around the same mechanic.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Does this imply they are "shadow dropping" big titles in the future? I wonder how that would go. How would the world react to months of silence about an Animal Crossing game and then it shows up during a Direct, gameplay and all, ending with an "Available today". Do they have the balls to do that as a company?
I think that's doubtful for a tentpole release like Animal Crossing, but I can see them adopting the Fallout 4 approach.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't like him defending lootboxes like that. Granted, it would probably be more shocking if a gaming CEO denounced them entirely but I don't want Nintendo to make any fee-to-pay games. Though these comments make it seem like a matter of time...

Everything else is fine.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a matter of "if" for the next Direct but "when". I would guess sometime between August-September for the next Direct, where they'll talk more about 3DS software and maybe give updates on games like Yoshi and Fire Emblem.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
- Reggie says lootboxes have gotten a bad wrap
- a gameplay mechanic that offers the consumer something to buy when they're not sure what's inside can be interesting as long as it's not the only way to get those items

Lootboxes aren't bad in concept. Onrush handles them well, they exist as a bonus for natural progression but you can still buy the things you want with in-game credit that you get frequently.

Paid lootboxes however, can fuck off. I would like to hope that Reggie is referring to the former here, because if the latter then that's concerning.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
They revealed the NES and SNES Mini's around the late July-August right? I'm sure that's one of the big things that they have to show.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
"We showed squat because we love to surprise our fans."
SarcasticBountifulGourami-max-1mb.gif

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they could realistically say 'Available today' and surprise anyone with a game that will be distributed physically. You need to think on a far smaller scale for shadow drops than Animal Crossing.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yo Reggie, I would sure be surprised with Mother 3 coming to the States or a Mother Collection of sorts.

Hint hint.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anything he said was wrong. There's nothing necessarily wrong with lootboxes as long as you can buy the items outright or are easily obtained through other means, though that does make lootboxes unneccessary... So I'm not really sure what his point is.

Nintendo's stock dropping is laughable, we all know there's a new pokemon next year and if they showed that at E3 it would've probably rose. The stock market is dumb. However saying that, Nintendo's E3 was complete shit. But honestly they have more "conferences" with their directs than any other publisher, so E3 isn't anywhere near as important to them as they are other publishers.

Oct 27, 2017
The lootbox ones have me a bit worried.
Sounds like time saver packs that EA were pushing previously.

Random time save packs. I don't see Nintendo doing it - but there might be a market for people who just want everything in Smash unlocked from the start. Launch weekend, people coming round to play.... not enough time to unlock all characters and stages. Pay $5 to unlock 10 random characters and a stage.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo marches to the beat of their own drum. They'll probably have some nice surprises in the fall and winter, but they probably could've just showed it off now. They don't take e3 as seriously as they should and it leads to letdowns like their direct

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I feel like people are going to read too much into his lootbox comments.

He's not wrong that the mechanic of a lootbox automatically equalling bad

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Makes sense. I do miss the crazy huge blowouts as much as the next guy, but the Nintendo Directs come around often and popular enough at this point for them to not really need it at E3.