• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
;_; been playing all night....this is exactly what i needed...you can tell the graphics have had a subtle but nice improvement. skyboxes actually have a sky now as opposed to a single washed out bloom effect with a single color(you can see this in the dojo compared to the previous game)

What i will say, is that i hope they reduce the base stamina consumption rate by 15 to maybe 20%..there were too many times where i went to attack and i was out of stamina, and that's with efficient ki pulsing. In addition i get tripped up a lot by muscle memory when i go to change my item shortcut and weapons...why did they feel the need to reverse how its done compared to the first game?

besides that though? great game. double axes are a blast and sufficiently different from dual swords for example.

I wonder if in the actual game they give you the choice between using the living weapons normally as opposed to fusing with them? the yokai transformation system is pretty cool, but i'd be nice to be able to use both systems at once, and also more than one living weapon in a single fight as well. imagine being able to combine a yokai transformation and a traditional living weapon moveset by switching between the two. my mouth waters just thinking about it
For stamina consumption I mostly been levelling up Heart and Courage more Ki plus Faster Ki Recovery, also Samurai skills spent on Flux and some weapon skills that saves or enhances Ki conservation, so far Ki not much a problem for me but yeah maybe they should slightly improve stamina consumption a bit

You can also kinda Yokai summoning while in Yokai Form here with Soul Cores works while in Yokai Form too

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Nioh 2 key if anyone is interested

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Oh my goodness, I redeemed it! Thank you so much - I'm so grateful!

You beat me to it by like 30 seconds.

tenor.gif

Curse my ancient Nexus 6 and its slowness!

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Reading quite a few responses here and I think a good number will be disappointed I don't even understand why some would even play it.
Like if you're actually expecting for the loot system to revamp to dropping less loot and having less rng instead of just the system expanding its modifiers and possibly ways to augment your gear you're in for a bad time I'd say. I'm fairly confident about that.
If you want to play Nioh like Souls you are essentially left with playing it with self imposed challenges.

Gonna predict that there will be builds again that absolutely break the game no matter what difficulty.

R.D.

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of peeps saying it is similar to 1, which is good imo :> Really like the "loot soulslike"-aspect.

Oct 25, 2017
Sad that my go-to weapons aren't available, the dual swords and kusarigama. I tried out the hatchets and they seem pretty fun. The range on them is super short and I', not sure on the throwing aspect. It doesn't do a lot of damage and doesn't have the utility the kusarigama has of pulling yourself or the enemy closer. Also, a lot of the skills revolve around being at < 30% health, which I'm not that good at the game to benefit from that.

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
Watched a little bit of it streamed and as a huge fan of the first am very happy with what I've seen so far. Looks quite hard at the start as it should be

Dom6

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any sort of exclusive armor / DLC / etc this time around for completing the Alpha? There was something with the first Nioh if you finished the Alpha / Beta or something, there was a reward once the game launched. Anything like that this time around?

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Beating the first mission, like the others said, nothing changes so much from the first game. It definitely still fun hack and slashing enemies. The enemies pretty varied too, the first boss is a bit hard even when I had the experience with the first game on highest difficulty. It's harder now to build op ninjutsu guy in early game, since you no longer given ninjutsu point by leveling your dexterity, you need to use the item that give you ninjutsu point, I guess they're trying to balance the game. Gonna try the second mission after taking a break first.

Yeah, I was wondering why I didn't get any points when I leveled up onmyo. Had to use one of the locks, unlock a skill, and used it a couple times to get more points

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Okay... so I need tips on the boss he just wrecks my shit up. What is getting me is the god damn camera most of the time but I also cannot seem to do enough damage to the bastard.

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
Is there any sort of exclusive armor / DLC / etc this time around for completing the Alpha? There was something with the first Nioh if you finished the Alpha / Beta or something, there was a reward once the game launched. Anything like that this time around?

I have no idea if there is any this time around, but for what its worth I got all of it in the first game and it was all from public tests, not closed. Hopefully they'd do the same this time. In fact even if you didn't participate you eventually got the recipes for the items from the blacksmith anyways

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the first mission, missed 2 kodamas. What does the purple kodama do if you get him what he wants?

Back to impressions. I have been a bit of a Nioh apologist before with mission design, but gotta say the first mission wasn't very interesting. Got a bit better in the second half, but it was bland. I do like the new enemies and the new weapon. Seems like weapons and skill system got massively improved in this one. I like that skill points are assigned to different weapons this time, so you do not have to waste points. The new yokai mechanics are cool, living yokai weapons and abilities.

I like the boss a lot. But they need to do something with the missions level design and structure. If they won't improve the levels, maybe adjust a bit with the colours or scenery. It was rather dull looking and not as memorable first level from the first game. Decent gameplay, but boring surroundings and environment "puzzles". Look forward to playing the second level tomorrow but I can wait for Nioh 2 as these new changes are not different enough.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I finished everything in it and didn't get a message about any rewards.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first mission, missed 2 kodamas. What does the purple kodama do if you get him what he wants?

Back to impressions. I have been a bit of a Nioh apologist before with mission design, but gotta say the first mission wasn't very interesting. Got a bit better in the second half, but it was bland. I do like the new enemies and the new weapon. Seems like weapons and skill system got massively improved in this one. I like that skill points are assigned to different weapons this time, so you do not have to waste points. The new yokai mechanics are cool, living yokai weapons and abilities.

I like the boss a lot. But they need to do something with the missions level design and structure. If they won't improve the levels, maybe adjust a bit with the colours or scenery. It was rather dull looking and not as memorable first level from the first game. Decent gameplay, but boring surroundings and environment "puzzles". Look forward to playing the second level tomorrow but I can wait for Nioh 2 as these new changes are not different enough.
If you give it a soul core it has a chance to drop its own soul core to you but apparently it's just a chance.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Right. Shambala was very kind enough to donate me a code earlier, but it isn't working for me. I suspect it is due to region (I think it is a US code and I'm in the EU), but - fair warning - it may not work for whoever replies to this post first.

Gutted I can't play it, but someone else should.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this definitely feels like Nioh 1.5

Some cool additions here and there, but if you've played Nioh, you'll get plenty of Deja Vu.

If you wanted literally more Nioh, this is pretty much the game for you.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Okay... so I need tips on the boss he just wrecks my shit up. What is getting me is the god damn camera most of the time but I also cannot seem to do enough damage to the bastard.

If you want to cheese, go High Chance and just dodge most of the attacks. Hitting him after his tornado spin, when he slams his fist down, and after every kick (but not the chain where he punch, kicks, punch). There's a change where he just goes kick then another kick. Save your Guardian Form until the end.
Also embuing your weapon with water magic works well too.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't got a key myself but I haven't played the first game, been meaning to play just never got round to it, just wanted to know for those playing are there any HUD options? It's not that much of a deal breaker or anything but I remember the first game there was no way to disable it, wondering if it's the same for the second.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I have never played the first. It sounded awesome.

I have got a beta key in my email some reason. I suppose I will give it a shot this weekend.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Wow, wow, WOW! I just get done and had so much fun! Soul core system reminds me of Catlevania and its awesome! The boss was super cool too.

You can change your appearance too if you want which is a huge quality of life factor for me.

What kind of soul cores did you guys get?

Haven't got a key myself but I haven't played the first game, been meaning to play just never got round to it, just wanted to know for those playing are there any HUD options? It's not that much of a deal breaker or anything but I remember the first game there was no way to disable it, wondering if it's the same for the second.

I just went through the options and I'm not seeing anything to turn off the hud. In fact you can make it even busier by adding numbers at the end of your bars and stuff. I'll be sure to comment about it when surveys come out for the people that want to gifs.

Last edited:

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017

I'm not seeing any way to turn the HUD off, sorry.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not seeing any way to turn the HUD off, sorry.
We have to request this feature in the feedback survey when they release it.

We have to. I want those glorious hudless Sunhi gifs! 😍