• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
stream link:

Weapon gif, more to be shown during the stream:

By holding down the button for a long time, weapons that allow flexible battles such as extending the reach and increasing the number of hits will be added.
This is similar to the lunar staff of Ninja Gaiden.

DLC releases on July 30th.

edit: the game is currently on sale on EU PSN btw, including the season pass (3 DLC).

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Wow this weapon looks awesome :)

Damn my friend for only starting the game this week, I've been waiting for him at the start of NG+ for so long lol. He'll take so much time to finish his first run too :(

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Not sure I'm a huge fan of the weapon, but I'm sure I'll love playing with it.

It has spear's rainbow ruse, which is cool I guess?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Hope the next dlc weapon is a short one, I don't really like long weapons even if they are much more powerful.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That new weapon looks slick as hell.

Really wanted a new magic based weapon though, still this looks awesome and can't wait to try it out

Oh and the season pass is on sale? Thanks for the heads up OP, was so excited for the DLC I forgot I havent actually bought it yet lol

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Decisions, decisions. Get the DLC before the (potential) PC launch and burn myself out before it releases, or wait until (hopefully) November? Although if it's going to release in November, it had better be either really early, or really late.

Factoring in the way 2020 has been though, I don't really expect it to be on PC this year, even if it was originally considered.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That new weapon looks slick as hell.

Really wanted a new magic based weapon though, still this looks awesome and can't wait to try it out

Oh and the season pass is on sale? Thanks for the heads up OP, was so excited for the DLC I forgot I havent actually bought it yet lol

The Season Pass by itself is not on sale, only the version of the game with it.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
The Season Pass by itself is not on sale, only the version of the game with it.
Ah dang. Thats fine i'll buy it anyway lol.
thanks

Anywho there is a slightly bigger version of the GIF on reddit

Looks like the weapon turns into nunchuks or something similar when in Mid-stance
To2a0Sc_d.webp

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
The game without the season pass has a huge discount of 43% which will last for month. Might get it next month if my financial situation got better or my roommate pays his debt for me. Been waiting for a good discount for this game so hopefully I'll have it next month after I finish Ghost of Tsushima.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I've genuinely held off buying this even discounted because I was waiting to see if they'd add more weapons, so this pushes me that bit closer

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It's a lot similar to 1 but with more of everything and better.

Don´t know what is better about Nioh 2 compare to 1 tbh...Nioh 2 is easier than the first one because of burst counter and yokai skills, badder leveldesign, many reused assets, bosses and areas, many one shot bosses and an alarming lack of creativity. still an alright game but not really mindblowing.

gonna wait on impressions on the DLC before redeeming the sesson pass

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017

English tweet, the weapon is called the Splitstaff

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This weapon looks great and it reminds me of Reno's Raisen weapon from Onimusha 3.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Don´t know what is better about Nioh 2 compare to 1 tbh...Nioh 2 is easier than the first one because of burst counter and yokai skills, badder leveldesign, many reused assets, bosses and areas, many one shot bosses and an alarming lack of creativity. still an alright game but not really mindblowing

It seems to have 'rushed sequel' written all over it.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It seems to have 'rushed sequel' written all over it.
Not at all. It's an iterative sequel, sure, but it has nothing rushed about it.

Not sure what the other poster was about, nearly everyone that played Nioh 2 agrees that it's better than the first one outside of maybe the main character since it's a silent protagonist now.
It's easier than the first one (not just because you have more tools), yes, but that doesn't make it worse even if that's disappointing.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Don´t know what is better about Nioh 2 compare to 1 tbh...Nioh 2 is easier than the first one because of burst counter and yokai skills, badder leveldesign, many reused assets, bosses and areas, many one shot bosses and an alarming lack of creativity. still an alright game but not really mindblowing.

gonna wait on impressions on the DLC before redeeming the sesson pass
Sorry but badder level design? Opinions and all but Nioh 2 has some of the best levels(Mausoleum of Evil straight up better than any stage in nioh 1) in the entire series to deny that is straight up trolling. That is not to say the game ever reaches the heights of a fromsoft game level design wise but within the series Nioh 2 is better on all fronts.

Last edited:

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I also disagree with those posts, Nioh 2 is better in every way to the original

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I replayed the first game immediately after finishing Nioh 2 and the only aspect I found better was that the story was slightly less incoherent. Otherwise, Nioh 2 improved everything else - much more enemy variety, more varied side missions instead of repeating the same few levels over and over again, plus loads of new fun abilities. Even difficulty is arguable when magic is so incredibly overpowered in Nioh 1.

Oct 26, 2017
The new weapons, Switchglaive and Dual Hatchets, were awesome. It will be hard to do much better.

Switch glaive and hatchets were rad though.

Double hatchets are awesome tho :)

Double hatchets are like a half weapon. Ranged attacks on triangle dont do anything for me
Switch glaive also doesnt gel well with stance switching.

Basically for me these are low skill ceiling weapons. I can see why people like them tho since they are functionally different to the core weapons.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Double hatchets are like a half weapon. Ranged attacks on triangle dont do anything for me

Basically for me these are low skill ceiling weapons. I can see why people like them tho since they are functionally different to the core weapons.
Hatchets becomes a way more fun weapon when you item cancel with them. It's the only reason I didn't hate it completely because the item cancelling almost feels like it was intentional for it.

I wouldn't call them a low skill weapon because you don't like them.

Oct 26, 2017
Hatchets becomes a way more fun weapon when you item cancel with them. It's the only reason I didn't hate it completely because the item cancelling almost feels like it was intentional for it.

I wouldn't call them a low skill weapon because you don't like them.
They objectively have a lower skill ceiling. Thats all I said. I really like hatchets. But the ceiling for styling on them is objectively alot lower cause the're missing half a moveset.

Wut? Uh, I've always found them the best for stance switching with the skills you unlock for them. Stance switching combos are what set that weapon apart imo.
How exactly are either "low skill" compared to the rest? What would you consider high skill weapons?
This is exactly why I dislike the weapon.
This is how I like to play the game

The switchblade is built around these long awkward premade combos, that arent even any good. It doesnt support a flux2, sheathe cancel, combo lock bosses playstyle @ level 1.

And again i'm talking about skill ceiling which is really high in Nioh, so its not a problem for everyone. Even less in Nioh 2 were everyone has ze win yokai win buttons.

Oct 27, 2017
They objectively have a lower skill ceiling. Thats all I said. I really like hatchets. But the ceiling for styling on them is objectively alot lower cause the're missing half a moveset.

This is exactly why I dislike the weapon.
This is how I like to play the game

The switchblade is built around these long awkward premade combos, that arent even any good. It doesnt support a flux2, sheathe cancel, combo lock bosses playstyle @ level 1.

And again i'm talking about skill ceiling which is really high in Nioh, so its not a problem for everyone. Even less in Nioh 2 were everyone has ze win yokai win buttons.

"o b j e c t i v e l y"
You can "combo lock" bosses with any weapon if you try hard enough to do that. Hell, that video doesn't even show how easily you can do that with the tonfa.

If anything, you need to be more skilled with those 2 weapons to get the most out of them according to what you're saying. Really though, there's not a particularly high ceiling for any individual weapons. It's mostly universal things, like dodging well, utilizing your range, and draining enemy stamina that you need to learn, and then you can apply them to any moveset. The tonfa being super fast and with high stamina damage output, if anything, lowers the overall skill ceiling.

Oct 26, 2017
"o b j e c t i v e l y"
You can "combo lock" bosses with any weapon if you try hard enough to do that. Hell, that video doesn't even show how easily you can do that with the tonfa.

If anything, you need to be more skilled with those 2 weapons to get the most out of them according to what you're saying. Really though, there's not a particularly high ceiling for any individual weapons.
It's mostly universal things, like dodging well, utilizing your range, and draining enemy stamina that you need to learn, and then you can apply them to any moveset. The tonfa being super fast and with high stamina damage output, if anything, lowers the overall skill ceiling.
Yes. Objectively there is much less you can do with the hatchets than any other weapon.

Regarding bolded - You and I are clearly interested in different things here. You're talking about the ceiling to be efficient with the weapon, i'm talking about the ceiling to be creative. Yes nioh is a game about fundamentals and most weapon stuff can be copy and pasted. The weapons all have a "KI kick" equivalent, so you can learn how to do that, and then get better at it by learning to sheathe cancel the kick and do it without the dash attack in action. But each weapon has abit of spice on top, the Kura's spice is limiting however. Due to how its combo finishers work.

And no a weapon being more limited weapon doesn't mean it has a higher skill ceiling, you're talking about floor there. And I agree.

Not saying i'm immune to a hot take, but err yeah i've been around a while In nioh-Era, and wouldnt just talk out my ass on this stuff.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017

I'm waiting for my friend to catch up so we can coop ng+ so I havent tried yet, but dual hatchets were still very efficient in endgame in my first run. Some late skills are crazy powerful to destroy defences

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Objectively there is much less you can do with the hatchets than any other weapon.

Regarding bolded - You and I are clearly interested in different things here. You're talking about the ceiling to be efficient with the weapon, i'm talking about the ceiling to be creative. Yes nioh is a game about fundamentals and most weapon stuff can be copy and pasted. The weapons all have a "KI kick" equivalent, so you can learn how to do that, and then get better at it by learning to sheathe cancel the kick and do it without the dash attack in action. But each weapon has abit of spice on top, the Kura's spice is limiting however. Due to how its combo finishers work.

And no a weapon being more limited weapon doesn't mean it has a higher skill ceiling, you're talking about floor there. And I agree.

Not saying i'm immune to a hot take, but err yeah i've been around a while In nioh-Era, and wouldnt just talk out my ass on this stuff.
mmm no, we're talking about the same things here (although "sheath cancelling" is 100% an efficiency thing, not a style thing). Switchglaive even has basically a whole extra in-between movelist for you to work with, so "objectively" (can we drop the word now? It's what you think, it's not objective anything) that has more creative potential, because you have more to experiment with. Now, you understandably have your own opinion about the usefulness of those moves, but they are there - you can be creative with them.

To be clear, I don't see those weapons as "more limited", I see your playstyle as more limited. It's fine if it's not for you, but those weapons do have options on relatively par with every other weapon.

And err, yeah, you hanging with nioh-Era doesn't exactly mean anything. I've played the games too, even went all the way through Way of Nioh. I don't think either of us are going to be an authority on the subject so I'd rather just speak with you normally rather than sharing credentials.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Stream (in the OP) starting in a few minutes!

edit:

Last edited: