• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
New thread for new info.

Notes from the livestream interview:
  • Story ties into the first game. Can be played and enjoyed by newcomers, but players of Nioh 1 will appreciate the story connection.
  • Character creation! Gender, race, and other character features will be customizable.
  • The protagonist can become or harness the power of the Yokai, which will take the "action to the next level".
  • Like with Nioh 1, they will be using free demos/betas to collect player feedback for Nioh 2.
  • No mention of PC version at all.
  • No mention of release window at all.
  • More information is coming, but no indication of when.
  • Nioh is on sale. :) https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA07113_00-NIOHCOMPLETEBUND

Interview transcript can be read here, courtesy of salromano :

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/nioh-2-...tion-protagonist-possesses-the-power-of-yokai

On what sets Nioh apart from other third-party action games…
Yasuda: "In general, I think it's the close quarters combat system. We have certain elements that are very uniquely Japanese, such as the ki pulse and the weapon stances. In addition to that, maybe the fact that both the player and the enemy have a stamina bar. That's probably something unique to Nioh."

On the teaser trailer…
Yasuda: "Players can probably tell that the next protagonist actually possesses the power of yokai. We've seen samurai-versus-yokai and samurai-versus-samurai before, but this time around we're going to have yokai-versus-samurai and yokai-versus-yokai as well, so you'll be able to feel some of the yokai skills and moves, which should bring the action system to the next level."

And a message to fans…
Lee: "First of all, we want to thank everyone for making Nioh a success. And having said that, I think just to kind of draw a comparison of where we were and where we're at, I think with Nioh it was our first time getting into that genre. And to be quite honest, as part of our team, we were a little bit cautious and it was sort of trepidatious in that sense. I think this time around, with the experience that we gained, and obviously all the encourage and support that we have, we've gained a lot of confidence as well. And thinking back, there were a lot of things that we didn't get to do. But this time around, I guess the simple way for me to put this is, the glove are off, we're going to go in hard. And so I hope the fans are ready for it, because I think this experience is going to be close to what we really had in mind. So I can't wait for you guys to play it."

More info from Polygon:

Yasuda didn't divulge details on the story of Nioh 2, only hinting that it ties into the original game's narrative; Team Ninja is still keeping its location and time period under wraps. Yasuda did say that the studio will be adding character customization for the sequel, based on player feedback, letting players choose their gender and race. That strongly suggests that we won't be playing as William from the original game in Nioh 2.

Nioh 2 will still be a difficult game — "masocore," to quote Yasuda — but the developer is hoping to create "more satisfying deaths for players." Yasuda said that, as with the original game, Team Ninja plans to release at least one free demo for Nioh 2 to solicit player feedback.

Team Ninja creative director Tom Lee added that the studio feels more emboldened in its approach to Nioh 2, saying that the developer was "a little bit cautious and trepidatious" in creating the original game. "This time around," Lee said, "the gloves are off. We're gonna go in hard.

"The experience is going to be closer to what we really had in mind [the first time]."

Source: https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/12/17456748/nioh-2-details-team-ninja-e3-2018

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yess,..ready for fashion Nioh. Even if we don't play as William hopefully he will be in the game as an NPC or something.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm excited that we get character creation. The Dev gloves coming off this time is also exciting.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Great to hear that they're doing demos again. IIRC they made a ton of changes to the first game based off of demo impressions. Nioh 1 would've had weapon durability if it wasn't for those betas.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Definitely will try the demo again. Enjoyed Nioh's demos, but they also kind of scared me away. I'm not so good with these Souls like experiences. I can handle them when they're my active game, but if I take a break, I'll start getting too nervous to come back.

FeArTriX

Oct 26, 2017
I really really hope they have more enemy types.

The first game was absolutely fantastic but they surely can improve on it.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just hope they stick to it's action game roots. This doesn't and shouldn't be a game for souls refugees.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to think how far Nioh has come since it was originally announced as a completely different game for the PS3. It was a cross media tie in with a movie, and then the movie was cancelled, and then Omega Force couldn't make the premise work as an action RPG, and then the project was handed to Team Ninja, who not only turned it into a Souls-style action game, they ditched the movie's original premise save for the part about it being about a blonde westerner samurai.

And now has a sequel with a player-created protagonist and everything!

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
Character creator, hell yeah! The first game was one of the best games ever, but was dragged down by William.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
The demos are what convinced me to pre-order the first game. Loved Nioh, so definitely can't wait to try this one out!

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Not sure if this means anything, but I saw this tweet:

dF4T0oi.png

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Care to explain the story to the DLCs? Never played them, did he return to Japan to stay there or something?

Here's the DLC description from the wiki page. Summary is better than I can provide:

In Dragon of the North, William returns to Japan where he is reunited with the resurrected Nekomata, and where the Tokugawa shogunate is opposed by Yokai under Masamune Date. But Masamune is supplied with Amrita by a Spanish spy named Maria, who escapes and offers her services to Toyotomi Hideyori, as the means to create more chaos in Japan to capture and use the Amrita for the glory of Spain. Since its naval defeat to England, the Spanish Empire was a shadow of its former self and hoped to use Amrita to regain its status as a world power. In Defiant Honor, William searches for Maria while helping the Tokugawa army deal with Yukimura Sanada. In Bloodshed's End, William plays a role in the Siege of Osaka as he defeats Hideyori, revealed to be a golem created from Amrita. Joined by Yukimura, who had his ninja vassal Sasuke Sarutobi assume his identity to fake his death during the Battle of Tennōji, William confronts Lady Chacha as she transforms into a Nine-Tailed Fox demon in an attempt to kill them. Chacha is defeated, and Yukimura remains by her side as Osaka Castle is consumed in flames as the Genna Era begins.

It doesn't mention it but William does stay in Japan afterwards.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Super excited for this game. If they expand the combat system to make it even better and add decent enemy variety, this is going to be amazing.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't care for samurai Jay Leno from the first game, character creation alone gets me a mighty bit more excited for the sequel.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
So fucking ready for this game! I still need to finish the DLC from the first one. Lol

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Character creator (with different RACE huh)

Devil trigger mode

And a new demo

More than any other game this gen Nioh continues to blow my expectations of Devs actually giving players what they want.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Platinumed Nioh as it's my fave game this gen. WOTN was brutal but so rewarding.

Glad they have Character customisation

All I need to know though is please keep the co-op aspect of yokai realm with a companion, As in we can both start missions the same time like in Nioh.

" gloves are off " sounds fantastic and terrifying at the same time

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Character creator (with different RACE huh)

Devil trigger mode

And a new demo

More than any other game this gen Nioh continues to blow my expectations of Devs actually giving players what they want.

I do have to wonder what is the backstory of your character.

I have to imagine that since your given the choice of any race, that your character will be an outsider regardless. Probably arrived after William imagine (assuming the game takes place after the first game's DLC).

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
I like that they use demo to improve the game before release. I think that if they wouldnt have made a demo back in Nioh 1, the game may turn off a lot of people because of durability mechanic. Thanks God they removed it

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
From the interview, it's good to hear that they're going to try to do better at balancing the game. It was the first time they did an Action-RPG so some stuff are not so well done but lessons are learned.

I swear when it comes to Nioh, Team Ninja is like totally on the ball.

OP
OP
crimilde

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
I love how they say that they were a bit cautious and scared going into what was their first foray into this genre, but now they gained experience and confidence and will go all in on the sequel.
They probably had a smaller budget too so this is super exciting to hear.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So one of the best combat systems ive ever played has another level??

Very happy this is getting made.

Cannot wait for this. Im more excited for this than Sekiro and i never thought id be saying that but here we are.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Not releasing it day and date with PC version will result in the nearly the same amount of sales that it did with NiOh Complete Edition. I hope they don't have any complains after this.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Not releasing it day and date with PC version will result in the nearly the same amount of sales that it did with NiOh Complete Edition. I hope they don't have any complains after this.
Or they might not release a PC version at all, looking at those tweets.
Nevertheless they clearly don't have any expectations for possible PC version of the game.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yes. I am so in for this. The first game is incredible. It's going to be really awesome seeing what sort of things they do with this. Can't wait!

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
KT have been putting out all their games on PC, so it'll make it there eventually.