• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I played Yakuza 0, Nioh 1 and Persona 5 back to back in early 2017 and now Yakuza 7, Nioh 2 and Persona 5 Royal are coming in early 2020. Lmao.
In terms of taste it already surpassed it for me. and this isn't taking into account of what will be releasing in the latter half of next year. I just Bayonetta 3 and Babylon's Fall to be confirmed for next year as well.
The first half of 2017 was so good. If 2020 gets close to that I will be extremely happy.
Honestly 2020 just needs a Yoko Taro game to surpass 2017 for me.
Damn, even more early 2020 games I wasn't aware of.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy 7R, Nioh 2, and possibly Dreams all in the same year?

Jeez. I played the first Nioh to death, this one looks way better.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loaded up Nioh again earlier this week on PS4 and found I had saved mid-mission when I'd last played a year and a half ago.

Then I realized I didn't remember anything about how to play the game, apart from standard Souls stuff and the ki recovery tap, and didn't remember how much consumables/souls were worth, but also didn't see any way to exit out of the current mission.

That short experience pretty much killed my interest in both playing the original and the sequel.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
So, early 2020 Japanese games for the West I want-
-Persona 5: Royal
-Yakuza: Like a Dragon (edit- no confirmation that it will come West in the 1st half of 2020)
-Yakuza Remastered Collection (3-5)
-Final Fantasy 7: Remake
-Project Sakura Wars
-Animal Crossing: New Horizons
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
-Trials of Mana
-Nioh 2
-Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories
-Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, early 2020 Japanese games for the West I want-
-Persona 5: Royal
-Yakuza: Like a Dragon
-Yakuza Remastered Collection (3-5)
-Final Fantasy 7: Remake
-Project Sakura Wars
-Animal Crossing: New Horizons
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
-Trials of Mana
-Nioh 2
-Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories
-Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition
Time to get second jobs people.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
I like the fire catgirl and her whiskers. I believe she's a Kasha

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I do wonder if this will take place between rise and fall of Nobunaga, because that's a lot of years to cover.

Indeed. I'm even hoping maybe a younger version of Yasuke will show up, when he was in Nobunaga's service. Considering his role in the original game was pretty small, all things considered, it'd be nice to see him have more shine when he was in his "prime".

Plus, it tends to be Koei's aim to try and appropriately "theme" their games around when a major figure(s) from Japanese history/lore gets extra attention through Taiga dramas and the like. And well, the Yasuke film starring Chadwick Boseman is in development...

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
At this rate I'm almost certainly going to be buying more new games in 2020 than in any other year, even more than 2017. I mean, this is absolutely a good thing, but still...good grief!

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Can anyone tell me if nioh 1 was or currently still on ps plus? I remembered that it was mentioned before as a game coming on there, but I never had the time to download it or look for it.

Hopefully, it is there. I definitely want to play it before playing this.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone tell me if nioh 1 was or currently still on ps plus? I remembered that it was mentioned before as a game coming on there, but I never had the time to download it or look for it.

Hopefully, it is there. I definitely want to play it before playing this.

Nioh was never on Plus.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Someone re-upped the trailer. TK probably didn't mean for it to go up so early, lol.
But God it looks so good... ;;

For those curious...
The characters in the trailer, in order, appear to be:
  • Kinoshita Tokichiro (aka, Toyotomi Hideyoshi; that conversation near the end was him trying to figure out a new, fitting "samurai" name for himself, so he took a character from each of Nobunaga's head retainers to come to "Yoshihide". Then Nobs is like "Nah, I don't like that, how about Hideyoshi?"
  • Nobunaga (needs no introduction, and he's young now! So yeah, this game is definitely about Nobunaga's rise and fall)
  • Takenaka Hanbei (strategist who first served Saito Dosan; when Dosan died and his sons proved to be less worthy, he retired at a young age into a mountain retreat pretending to be sick; Hideyoshi then went to go recruit him, and Hanbei served as a strategist for the Oda as a friend to Hideyoshi)
  • Yamamoto Kansuke (wandering ronin who eventually served Takeda Shingen as a skilled strategist; after his strategem failed to fool Uesugi Kenshin at the Fourth Battle of Kawanakajima, he used himself as a sacrifice to allow Shingen's army to escape)
  • Shibata Katsuie (one of Nobunaga's few major retainers who served the Oda clan since before Nobunaga was born; initially supported Nobunaga's younger brother, but was forgiven for his rebellion and was a steadfast supporter of Nobunaga ever after; also Oichi's second husband)
  • Oichi (Nobunaga's younger sister, wife of Azai Nagamasa and Shibata Katsuie, and mother of Yodo-gimi. Yes, that Yodo-gimi. This is likely why she has the fox guardian spirit. Was apparently incredibly intelligent. A very tragic figure, both of her husbands ended up being sieged and killed by men who were supposed to be their allies (Nobunaga and Hideyoshi respectively); during the second occasion, though she sent her daughters from Nagamasa into Hideyoshi's care, she refused the order to send herself into Hideyoshi's care and died with Katsuie)
  • Then there's the girl at the end. I'm not sure. She reminds me of both Okatsu (facially) and Fuku (beauty mark). Her spear also reminds me of Naomasa's spear in the first game. So possibly either Okatsu or Fuku's mother (therefore, either one of Ieyasu's wives or Saito Toshimitsu's wife), or Ii Naotora. Ii Naotora being one of the few women castellans and head-of-clan of the era, similar to Tachibana Ginchiyo.
  • EDIT: Apparently the girl at the end is Mumyo, an original character. A demon huntress who loathes yokai. She's voiced by and modeled after the Japanese actress Haru.
The Yokai... I'm a bit more unsure about. Of the yokai who aren't returning from Nioh and weren't in the demo, I know I saw Kamaitachi (big scythe weasel), Mezu (horse-faced yokai), Gyuki (spider-bodied, ox-headed yokai, aka Ushi-oni), and Kasha(cat lady on fire wheels). Not sure who the grim reaper looking guy, the cackling lady, or the ape-like yokai are. I would GUESS satori for the ape, given it had a monk's staff and satori were said to be very wise, but take that with a grain of salt. And outside of the obvious kitsune for Oichi I'm unsure about the goat, wolf, or boar spirit we saw- very interested to learn what they are!

You know who is at the end of the trailer, if not Okatsu (the resemblance is pretty major)?
SeoHmNC.png

Mononoke (yes, that one):
- she has fur on her
- semi long hair
- teeth as earrings
- mask
- same time period as Nobunaga
San is a fictional character owned by Studio Ghibli. I doubt it, but I could see her having been inspired by San.

Last edited:

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Nioh, loved the Nioh 2 beta and I am sure I will love this game to little bits.

The bosses look so much better animated than what we got in Nioh. Seems like the team was able to work out those rough edges from the first game.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Excellent post, Mewshuji!

So I was right in my guess that it was Hanbei shown at that point. For your sake, I'm hoping Shingen and especially Kenshin won't be too far behind. We're not going to get a better chance to see the Uesugi and Takeda, since they were a hallmark of Nobunaga's early career.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first game would've been improved tenfold with a simple, customisable loot filter. Really hope they add something like that in this one.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018

Someone re-upped the trailer. TK probably didn't mean for it to go up so early, lol.
But God it looks so good... ;;

For those curious...
The characters in the trailer, in order, appear to be:
  • Kinoshita Tokichiro (aka, Toyotomi Hideyoshi; that conversation near the end was him trying to figure out a new, fitting "samurai" name for himself, so he took a character from each of Nobunaga's head retainers to come to "Yoshihide". Then Nobs is like "Nah, I don't like that, how about Hideyoshi?"
  • Nobunaga (needs no introduction, and he's young now! So yeah, this game is definitely about Nobunaga's rise and fall)
  • Takenaka Hanbei (strategist who first served Saito Dosan; when Dosan died and his sons proved to be less worthy, he retired at a young age into a mountain retreat pretending to be sick; Hideyoshi then went to go recruit him, and Hanbei served as a strategist for the Oda as a friend to Hideyoshi)
  • Yamamoto Kansuke (wandering ronin who eventually served Takeda Shingen as a skilled strategist; after his strategem failed to fool Uesugi Kenshin at the Fourth Battle of Kawanakajima, he used himself as a sacrifice to allow Shingen's army to escape)
  • Shibata Katsuie (one of Nobunaga's few major retainers who served the Oda clan since before Nobunaga was born; initially supported Nobunaga's younger brother, but was forgiven for his rebellion and was a steadfast supporter of Nobunaga ever after; also Oichi's second husband)
  • Oichi (Nobunaga's younger sister, wife of Azai Nagamasa and Shibata Katsuie, and mother of Yodo-gimi. Yes, that Yodo-gimi. This is likely why she has the fox guardian spirit. Was apparently incredibly intelligent. A very tragic figure, both of her husbands ended up being sieged and killed by men who were supposed to be their allies (Nobunaga and Hideyoshi respectively); during the second occasion, though she sent her daughters from Nagamasa into Hideyoshi's care, she refused the order to send herself into Hideyoshi's care and died with Katsuie)
  • Then there's the girl at the end. I'm not sure. She reminds me of both Okatsu (facially) and Fuku (beauty mark). Her spear also reminds me of Naomasa's spear in the first game. So possibly either Okatsu or Fuku's mother (therefore, either one of Ieyasu's wives or Saito Toshimitsu's wife), or Ii Naotora. Ii Naotora being one of the few women castellans and head-of-clan of the era, similar to Tachibana Ginchiyo.
The Yokai... I'm a bit more unsure about. Of the yokai who aren't returning from Nioh and weren't in the demo, I know I saw Kamaitachi (big scythe weasel), Mezu (horse-faced yokai), Gyuki (spider-bodied, ox-headed yokai, aka Ushi-oni), and Kasha(cat lady on fire wheels). Not sure who the grim reaper looking guy, the cackling lady, or the ape-like yokai are. I would GUESS satori for the ape, given it had a monk's staff and satori were said to be very wise, but take that with a grain of salt. And outside of the obvious kitsune for Oichi I'm unsure about the goat, wolf, or boar spirit we saw- very interested to learn what they are!

San is a fictional character owned by Studio Ghibli. I doubt it, but I could see her having been inspired by San.

Thank you for this write up, answered some questions I had.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Daamn,it looks soo good.Looks like they kept intact what made Nioh 1 good and improved upon the enemy design and the weapon system seems to have more variety.

Can't wait to get destroyed again