• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It sold more than 500k on PC and Sony has a marketing deal.
It'll likely get announced out of nowhere for a release 9 months later like the first one.

KT is being considerate, allowing me to play plenty of Cyberpunk, Bloodlines 2 and Dying Light 2 in early 2020 before I bounce back to soulslikes with Nioh 2 and Elden Ring.

Quite nice of them, actually.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. I'm even hoping maybe a younger version of Yasuke will show up, when he was in Nobunaga's service. Considering his role in the original game was pretty small, all things considered, it'd be nice to see him have more shine when he was in his "prime".

Plus, it tends to be Koei's aim to try and appropriately "theme" their games around when a major figure(s) from Japanese history/lore gets extra attention through Taiga dramas and the like. And well, the Yasuke film starring Chadwick Boseman is in development...

Yasuke should definitely be in this, it would be a good scene when he first saw him.
Tenkai should too, considering his real identity reveal in Nioh.

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
You know who is at the end of the trailer, if not Okatsu (the resemblance is pretty major)?
SeoHmNC.png

Mononoke (yes, that one):
- she has fur on her
- semi long hair
- teeth as earrings
- mask
- same time period as Nobunaga

She looks based on another Japanese actress called Haru. They are doing the same thing than Okatsu (who was based on Emi Takei)

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Oh man,I need to rush and finish the first game before this comes out.

You really don't. Going by the Beta, Nioh 2 feels more like an Extension/Update to the first than a full Sequel (which is not a negative for me).
The first nioh is excellent but really long and quite repetitive.
I would not brute force my way through 1 and then jump into 2 to avoid burn-out.
The story also seems to be not really connected.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Yasuke should definitely be in this, it would be a good scene when he first saw him.
Tenkai should too, considering his real identity reveal in Nioh.

Oh, there's no doubt that
Mitsuhide
will be here. He's too critical to Nobunaga's story, otherwise.

I'm just hoping that they go into further detail about how Nioh's version of Mitsuhide felt so compelled to betray his lord. Having a conviction that Nobunaga's Ambition(tm) will generate more strife for Japan, when the dude was technically so close to uniting Japan, and thus, ending the wars, as it was? There had to be more to it than that, and I still believe the whole "Inheritance" mission only scraped the surface.

And if this game has any possible time travel elements in the mix, it could only make things more interesting.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
The first was a flawed masterpiece, so I'm really hoping they've addressed the issues from the first Nioh, and deliver to us what may be the best game of 2020. I can't wait.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Since receiving feedback from the closed alpha session, we have been diligently working on the game with great enthusiasm. To be honest, we've had to overcome many trials and errors during the process of designing Yokai action mechanics such as "special moves," "Yokai moves," and the visual presentation of the "Dark Realm." However, we are now quite satisfied with where we are at. It goes without saying that the improvements won't stop until launch and we'll continue to keep you updated with our progress. Stay tuned for more information in the coming months, and please enjoy the exciting new demo for TGS as well as the batch of new content we've prepared."

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Updated my post earlier, found out the new girl is Mumyo, an original character. Also some info on online and avatar creation.
Some pics of Nioh 2 avatar creation menu from https://www.famitsu.com/news/201909/12183042.html

Online co-op mode has also been expanded to now support 3 players (up from 2 in 1st Nioh)
There are also new righteous sword tombs that will result in unsynchronized co-op instead of PvP
-----------------
Just like the first game, Nioh 2 also has a couple of characters modeled & voiced by live actors. Kinoshita Tokichiro is played by Takenaka Naoto. And Mumyo, an original character who works as a yokai hunter, is modeled after the actress Haru.

Edit: Looking at the article, it appears the monkey yokai is in fact... the "Monkey Oni", or "Enki". Never heard of it before, seems to be an original monster, lol.

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Man, 2018-2020 (late 8th gen) sure is the season of samurai fighting/action/adventure game, is it not?

Soulcalibur VI
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Samurai Shodown reboot
(don't forget crossover characters)
Nioh 2
Ghost of Tsushima

What am I forgetting?

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh 2 stream from TGS!

Shit i missed it. I thought the presentation was sheduled for day 3, oh well will watch the recap on youtube.

edit: Just watched it. The boss fight against that horse yokai was pretty intense. It seems you are getting less loot from chests and the like which would be a plus in my book.

Last edited:

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Do I need to play the first game to understand what's going on in Nioh 2? Are these games connected?

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. Japan devs are on FIRE!

Tales of arise.
DBZ kakarot
Guilty gear
Gungrave gore
Sakura Wars
FFVII
NI-OH 2
Yakuza 7.

Plus western games

Tlou2
Cyberpunk
Ghost of Tsushima.

Then next gen hits also. 2020 is gonna be insane.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do I need to play the first game to understand what's going on in Nioh 2? Are these games connected?

There's barely a story in the first game. It's basically just "go say hi to this historical figure while chasing the bad guy who has corrupted somebody / some place, now you gotta fix it" over and over.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, there's no doubt that
Mitsuhide
will be here. He's too critical to Nobunaga's story, otherwise.

I'm just hoping that they go into further detail about how Nioh's version of Mitsuhide felt so compelled to betray his lord. Having a conviction that Nobunaga's Ambition(tm) will generate more strife for Japan, when the dude was technically so close to uniting Japan, and thus, ending the wars, as it was? There had to be more to it than that, and I still believe the whole "Inheritance" mission only scraped the surface.

And if this game has any possible time travel elements in the mix, it could only make things more interesting.

I thought it was because of mainly the spirit stones and Tenkai not wanting someone like Nobunaga to use them.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

Seriously, I don't know of any game that has taken into account so much community feedback as Nioh so I'm super jazzed about the sequel!

Tales of arise.
DBZ kakarot
Guilty gear
Gungrave gore
Sakura Wars
FFVII
NI-OH 2
Yakuza 7.

Plus western games

Tlou2
Cyberpunk
Ghost of Tsushima.

Don't forget Elden ring. =)

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Tales of arise.
DBZ kakarot
Guilty gear
Gungrave gore
Sakura Wars
FFVII
NI-OH 2
Yakuza 7.

Plus western games

Tlou2
Cyberpunk
Ghost of Tsushima.

I'm half tempted to wait until next-gen to pick up the games I really want on this list (FFVII, Nioh 2, tlou2, cyberpunk, ghost of tsushima) - assuming backwards compatibility/some sort of enhancement is a thing. Would be the sweetest pseudo launch lineup of all time, not even counting whatever we inevitably get as actual launch games.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Pleased to see they are making adjustments based on feedback again. Just hope they don't change too much.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the first one and I'm definitely in for the sequel, but I'm not going to lie: I'm one of the people who had to abuse the hell out of Sloth to get through some of the boss fights in the first game.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I thought it was because of mainly the spirit stones and Tenkai not wanting someone like Nobunaga to use them.
So far as what was presented, Nobunaga had only expressed interest in them, and was probably willing to explore the options when he planned to travel abroad. But Mitsuhide, so concerned with "harmony" and foreign interference, had a problem with all of that and that's what apparently led to the betrayal. Between fearing Nobunaga was getting "too ambitious" and his thinly-veiled xenophobia directed to both Kelley and William alike, it really just does more to paint Mitsuhide/Tenkai as an asshole that tacked on 35 more years of war and suffering in Japan unnecessarily (not unlike what he could have been in history). And it's not like the stones weren't inevitably used wholesale as part of a war effort, anyway, thanks to Mitsunari and his forces.

"But muh harmony!" [/Tenkai, probably]

That's why I'm interested in seeing if Nioh 2 takes the opportunity in exploring Mitsuhide any further. We're going to see Hideyoshi featured heavily as a peasant vassal in Nobunaga's service and we already know how much of a creep Nioh's story made him out to be, later on, towards poor Ginchiyo.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man that is sooner than expected... I still need to sit down and hammer out the DLC. Got the platinum but now I have to relearn the game lol

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Bailed on the first one about halfway through I think, I really like the gameplay but I kinda got bored of the structure. I doubt I'll ever go back and finish it but I might give the second one a try.