• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
qk0et8U.jpg

Release Date: March 13th, 2020
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Developer: Koei Tecmo Games; Team Ninja
Genre: Action RPG
Platforms: Playstation 4
Game Size: 36GB
Price: $59.99 (Standard Edition) $79.99 (Deluxe Edition)

ResetEra Review Thread

What is Nioh 2?

Nioh 2 is the sequel to the commercially and critically acclaimed action-RPG, Nioh. The game combines tight, fast and demanding weapon based combat with loot and stat based character customization, which allows great flexibility to accommodate all sorts of builds and playstyles.

Story

Like its predecessor, Nioh 2 is set in the Sengoku period of Japanese History. The land has been overrun by the monstrous Yokai; supernatural monsters and creatures from Japanese folklore. The player will meet several historical figures such as Oda Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi that ultimately aided in the unification of Japan.

Official story synopsis:

"The year is 1555 (50 years before the first game), an era that precedes the unification of Japan by Ieyasu Tokugawa.

The protagonist, the spawn of a human and a yokai, lives in Mino Province while spending their time as a mercenary battling yokai. One day, the protagonist is victorious in a battle against a ferocious yokai, but this causes the yokai powers to go berserk. The protagonist is calmed thanks to a man who runs to the scene - a wandering Spirit Stone seller by the name of Tokichiro.

As the two set off to take the Sengoku period by storm like a pair of Nioh, the curtain rises on the tale of "Hideyoshi"..."

Some useful links:

Fextralife's Boss guide (spoilers, obviously)

Nioh 2 Tips for Newcomers

giphy.gif

Nioh 2 offers refreshing flexibility for console players to customize their experience. First and foremost, there are three game modes to choose from, which impact image quality and performance.

Action Mode focuses on performance, at the expense of image quality. Draw distances, shadow resolution and terrain geometry are reduced as well as some post-processing effects. This mode locks the framerate at 60fps.

Movie Mode focuses on image quality, at the expense of framerate. Dynamic resolution is deployed to maintain the framerate at 30fps. The game targets an optimal resolution of 1080p on base PS4 and 4K (with checkerboarding) on PS4 Pro. Highest terrain, foliage and shadow detail.

Variable Mode seeks to offer a middle ground between the two aforementioned modes. Framerate is unlocked and therefore fluctuates according to the strain put on the system at a given moment. This mode is useful if you want the sharper image quality of movie mode without being restricted to the higher frametimes, but some people are particularly sensitive to the jerky motion and inputs that result from the variable frametimes.

You'll have to experiment to find which mode suits you best. Given Nioh 2's precise and demanding input timings Action Mode is recommended for the best gameplay experience.

giphy.gif

Nioh 2 plays fundamentally in similar fashion to the first Nioh.

IDjzh6A.jpg

Press Square for a quick light attack that drains some Ki

Press Triangle for a slower heavy attack that does more damage, but drains more Ki and can leave you exposed.

Hold L1 to block

Press X to dodge / dash; double tap to roll.

giphy.gif

There are three stances: low, medium and high. In order to switch to any given stance, hold R1 and press the corresponding button (Triangle for High, Square for Mid, X for Low).

Each Stance has its strengths and weaknesses.

High stance

otRlzaS.png
High Stance has the highest damage and slow overhead attacks but the worst blocking and dodging.

Mid stance

rCxHwO9.png

has the best blocking (lowest Ki expended while blocking) and also the widest horizontal sweep on attacks.

hiWhoVA.png
Low stance

has the fastest attacks and the best dodge (also consumes the least Ki while dodging), but low damage and short range.

Ideally, you'll be changing stances in the midst of combat to make the most out of your arsenal

Anima, AKA Yokai Force, is a new resource in Nioh 2, and can be seen on the top-left corner of the screen, underneath the Ki bar. Anima is used for Yokai Shift transformations, which expend some of it, as well as the new Soul Core Yokai Skills that can be attuned by the player. Anima can be regenerated by attacking enemies, or performing successful Burst Counters. Anima also regenerates faster in the Dark Realm.

Yokai Shift

giphy.gif

Yokai Shift is a new mechanic in Nioh 2 that replaces the Living Weapon mechanic found in the first game.
When your Amrita Gauge is full (upper left corner), pressing Triangle + Circle simultaneously will activate Yokai shift, unleashing your character's Yokai Powers. In this mode, your life and Ki bars will be replaced by a Yokai Shift bar that will deplete over time, or as you take damage. In this form, your attack power will be enhanced and your character will be able to disperse the Yokai Realm, turning it into absorbable Amrita instead.

The Yokai form your character takes while in Yokai Shift mode will depend on which Guardian Spirit is currently equipped.

Burst Counters

giphy.gif

Burst counters are a new technique in Nioh 2, which make use of the player's latent Yokai abilities to react to enemies' Burst attacks. By pressing R2 + Circle at the right time (telegraphed by a glowing red attack from the enemy), your character's Yokai form will emerge, inflicting substantial Ki damage in the process. The type of Burst Counter will depend on the type of Guardian Spirit equipped by the player.

Ki Pulsing

giphy.gif

One of Nioh 2's stand out mechanics, and vital if you want to survive the game's callous difficulty.

To perform a Ki Pulse, press the stance button (R1) after performing an attack to instantly restore some Ki. When the player attacks, a blue essence will swirl around the player, indicating that a Ki Pulse can be performed. The more precise the timing of your Ki Pulse, the more Ki will be recovered. It is imperative that the player master this mechanic as soon as possible, since Ki management is at the core of playing this game.

Ki Flux

giphy.gif

Similar to Ki Pulsing, Ki Fluxing allows the player to recover huge amounts of Ki very rapidly. Ki Flux is performed by changing stances as soon as a Ki Pulse is successfully performed. The player should start practicing Ki Fluxing as soon as she feels comfortable with Ki Pulsing.

Dark Realm

While exploring levels, the player will eventually reach an area that has been shrouded by the Dark Realm. While in the Dark Realm, the player character will grow Yokai Horns, and Ki regeneration will decrease drastically. Yokai enemies will also receive a buff to their Ki regeneration. The player can traverse the Dark Realm at his own peril, though it is possible to locate the Yokai that emanates the Dark Ream, identifiable by small, blooming flowers around him. Killing it will dissipate the miasma and Yokai enemies in the area will stop spawning. Additionally, the player will be able to open chests previously inaccessible within the dark realm. Anima will recover faster in the Dark Realm.

Soul Cores

eozhl3h.jpg

Yokai enemies will drop Soul Cores, a new powerful resource in Nioh 2. Once purified at a shrine (if the player is able to reach the shrine without dying), Soul Cores can be attuned just like Magic or Ninjutsu, and assigned to R2 + Triangle, or R2 + Square. Each of them corresponds to a Yokai Skill that can be executed by the player at the cost of some Anima.

Bloody Graves and Revenants

HCzGbHT.jpg

When a player dies (when playing online), he'll leave behind a Bloody Grave that has a chance of spawning in another player's world. Head on over to a grave and it'll tell you their level, mode of death and other information about them. By interacting with Bloody Graves, players can then summon an NPC incarnation, a Revenant, of the player who left the Bloody Grave. These revenants can be farmed for gear or Ochoko cups, which in turn can be used to summon friendly players or NPC

Benevolent Graves and Acolytes

DSEk0ER.jpg

Nioh 2 now features a friendly version of revenants: Acolytes, who are NPC incarnations of fellow players left behind to aid you if you find yourself in a tough spot. Similar to bloody graves, benevolent graves will display information about the player who left the Benevolent Grave. By spending Ochoko cups, Acolytes will be summoned to fight at your side.

Kodamas and Sudamas

mqcsEdp.jpg

Kodamas are friendly Yokai who inhabit the wilderness of Japan. They can be found scattered throughout levels. Finding Kodamas imbues the player with blessings that can be activated at the shrine. Their blessings include increased amrita dropped from enemies or increased elixir drops, to name a few. Only one blessing can be activated at a time. As the player finds more Kodamas in each region, the number of elixirs that are resupplied when resting at a shrine is increased.

dkslfRf.jpg

Sudamas are new to Nioh 2, and they are Kodamas who have been corrupted by the Dark Realm and now covet treasure. Instead of directly aiding players, Sudamas will ask for an item and will provide the player with a reward in return.

Hot Springs

Like kodamas, Hot Springs are hidden in levels and provide a temporary buff to your character, healing you over time and negating harmful status effects.

Loot and Builds

Nioh 2, like its predecessor, is a loot driven game, on top of being a skill based action RPG. This makes the game fairly unique, in that not only does your proficiency in the game grow as your abilities as a player develop, but also your character will become vastly more powerful by selecting the right gear for your unique build. The game includes a robust, and intimidating blacksmith system that allows players to forge, temper, refashion and dismantle the oodles of loot that they'll recover during their missions. While it's not crucial to delve in depth into the mechanics of the blacksmith, doing so will unlock the most powerful possible builds for the game.

Scampuss

EEPmyFCUwAAljQ1.jpg

Number of games with Scampuss= 1

giphy.gif

Players can become visitors to other players' worlds after completing a mission. They can then be summoned to assist players in need who might be having difficulty with that mission.

A new mode in Nioh 2 is called Expeditions. During expeditions, two players cooperate to complete missions sharing a common life pool. Every time a player dies, she can revive herself by expending a part of the common life pool. Players can also revive one another at no cost of the common life pool. If both players die, the expedition will end.

5wFhbTO.png

giphy.gif

Nioh 2 features an staggering amount of weapons to accomodate a plethora of play styles. Once you create your character, you will be presented with a choice of two starting weapons. This choice does not lock you into these two weapons; you can equip any weapon you find, buy or craft at any time.

Each weapon scales to different stats. Each weapon has a core stat, as well as secondary stats off which said weapon will scale, to a lesser degree. While you are free to pair any two weapon types, it is recommended that you pair weapons that synergize with one another. All the weapons from the original game make a return, including DLC weapons.

Axe: Stamina +1
Dual Swords: Skill +1
Kusarigama: Dexterity +1
Odachi: Strength +1
Spear: Constitution +1
Sword: Heart +1
Tonfa: Courage

In addition, Nioh 2 introduces two brand new weapons, the Hatchet and the Switch Glaive:

Hatchets: Skill +1

zvE3jy.gif

Switch Glaive: Magic +1

auW1XUzWNnMYHSdaih195YVUg34h7zfRY6UJVfLWjcY.jpg

A transformable melee weapon with three forms, depending on stance. Glaive, Scythe, and Saw.

The following table shows which weapons benefit from which stats, and how well they scale:

Ht6z4BE.png

Some general information to get players started.​

BUILDS

Nioh 2 places a great amount of emphasis on builds. Choosing the right build can make the game much more engaging. It unlocks imaginative playsyles that wouldn't be feasible otherwise, and can help out in a tough spot, specially when playing the game in higher difficulties.

FextraLife has added several unique and interesting builds to their website and YouTube channel. Check them out!

giphy.gif

This looks like Nioh 1.5 to me

Fair enough. It depends of what you expect from a sequel, and Nioh 2 is definitely iterative on the first game, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Team Ninja didn't wipe the slate clean, but rather chose to build upon the foundation of the first game. In my opinion this is what most Nioh fans want and I think it is the right approach.

I didn't like the first Nioh. Will I like this one?

No.

What the hell do I do with all this loot?!?

Sell it, dismantle it, offer it at the shrine to get divine rice.

Nioh provides very robust filtering tools. You don't ever have to see any white or yellow drops if you don't want to. Also, make sure to explore the filtering options to sift through all the gear. You can set it so that, for example, all loot that is uncommon or below gets dismantled.

So is this game like Dark Souls?

Yes and no. It retains several mechanics and 'vocabulary' that map pretty neatly onto Dark Souls: regenerating stamina (called Ki in Nioh), animation priority (you can't usually cancel out of attacks and must commit to the animation); bonfires to regain your health and level up, at the cost of respawning enemies and similar level design. Most notably, Nioh is designed to challenge players' reflexes, dexterity and patience.

Nioh 2 differs from Dark Souls and other Soulslikes in several ways: Instead of a continuous, interconnected world, Nioh 2 (like its predecessor) features a mission based structure that can be accessed via an overworld map, representing different regions of Sengoku Japan. Most levels end with a boss, which represents a monumental challenge for players to overcome. Unlike Dark Souls, missions can be replayed at will, and thus bosses (and any enemy) can be farmed for loot.

What is Masocore, anyway?

Team Ninja likes to refer to the Nioh series as Masocore games, a portmanteau of Masochist and Hardcore. It certainly reflects their 'tough but fair' approach to difficulty. The game is certainly difficult, but it also has plenty of systems to aid the player and make it accessible to almost everyone.

Is this game for me?

If you played the first Nioh, and didn't like it, then you won't like this one either. It's very much an iteration of the first game and it's designed with fans of the first game in mind.

If you like From Software's 'Soulsbourne' games, or Sekiro, there's a pretty good chance you'll like this game.

If you are a fan of character action or 'stylish' action games like DMC, Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, this game might be right up your alley, though you could possibly be turned off by the staggering amount of loot and build management.

If you are frustrated or intimidated by punishing, difficult games, Nioh 2 might not be for you. But then again, there's a first time for everything and this game might just be what the doctor ordered to whet your appetite for a more challenging experience.

As a general recommendation, I suggest that new players try the first Nioh before taking the plunge into this sequel. It's pretty cheap these days, and it's available on Steam as well. Also, if you've been subscribed to PS+ for a while, you might already have it in your library. It's well worth a shot.

Like the first game in the series, this sequel contains a gargantuan quantity of loot drops. This works similar to games like Diablo 3. The game provides powerful tools to filter through the loot and facilitate its management, but it's still an integral part of the game. If this aspect of the game doesn't sound like your cup of tea, you'd be best advised to try Nioh 1 on PS+ before taking the plunge with this game.

I like character action games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta. Will I like this game?

Probably. You'll definitely enjoy the intricacies of the combat. You might be turned off by the loot driven aspect of the game, though it is certainly possible to enjoy the game without giving too much thought to builds other than the basics. The game is harder that way, but then again, you're probably used to a challenge.

What about DLC?

The first Nioh had an excellent season pass with 3 DLC packs, each corresponding to a new region of the map, each with its own novel missions, enemies, story and bosses. Two new weapons were introduced as well, so we can probably expect something similar for this game as well. The developer has stated that they have their ear on the ground, and that they will be listening to player feedback when developing DLC.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I adored the combat of the first game, but I found actually exploring levels, emerging story, uncovering and secrets to be a real letdown. So I'll wait to hear peoples reactions about the game beyond just combat before I jump on it. Still I know it'll be a blast for many here.

I'm just too spoiled on From Software games

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I adored the combat of the first game, but I found actually exploring levels, emerging story, uncovering and secrets to be a real letdown. So I'll wait to hear peoples reactions about the game beyond just combat before I jump on it. Still I know it'll be a blast for many here.

The level design in the demos felt a LOT better than the original game. Markedly improved, especially with regards to levels having multiple routes and paths to explore.

Damn, how could I forget?

Already amended.

Your update is noted and appreciated. All praise be to Scampuss.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The level design in the demos felt a LOT better than the original game. Markedly improved, especially with regards to levels having multiple routes and paths to explore.

Your update is noted and appreciated. All praise be to Scampuss.
Oh damn, watching that video with the talent tree above too. That looks good. I'm very keen to hear impressions.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, watching that video with the talent tree above too. That looks good. I'm very keen to hear impressions.

I think the best way to put it based on my experiences with the demos is that it's Nioh, but better across the board. It's not going to completely overhaul the experience into an entirely different game the way Bloodborne warps the hell out of the Souls format, but you could kind of compare it to the Demon's Souls -> Dark Souls transition in that it feels like a more confident interpretation of the original idea.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Fantastic OT my dude!

I've been hyping myself up listening to that Yugo Kanno kino non-stop this past week, I'm counting down the hours. I'm too damn excited for this game. LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Meh.

Nioh successfully combined the brutal, harsh challenge of FromSoftware's Dark Souls series with the finesse and depth of Team Ninja's own Ninja Gaiden.

Gameplay is way different than Ninja Gaiden. I would have liked an OT without mentionning one time FromSoftware's games. They are different and Ninja's one kinda own his style now. One is "open world" while the other is mission from map.

Most notably, Nioh is designed to challenge players' reflexes, dexterity and patience

Just like the other game you mention.

Nice OT tho. I hope I'll enjoy this one more than the first one!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the OT have to be out now? Cause it only makes the wait worse!!

I want to get all of the good loot.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

I completely took their level designs for granted at one point, thinking the combat, gear, creative enemy designs and atmosphere were the main reasons why many played their games, but it was mainly because I had just gotten so used to it within their own releases that it seemed "standard" (their games were about all I played for a while). I think Nioh's combat was a pretty big step up in many ways, but TN are not new to good combat mechanics. It's a shame that their level design wasn't comparable. This game is supposed to have improved upon the first, but unless the full game is drastically different than the beta/demo, it's still not worth considering the game for the exploration aspects.

Anyway, my system is ready for the pre-load.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Fantastic OT! Great sub-title too ;)

lol

I pre-ordered the deluxe digital edition, even though I won't be able to play until like, Sunday at the earliest :(.
I'll probably double-dip on PC some time, but I'll feel way too bad waiting for a port, so whatever. At least on the pro it's 1080/60, and the character creator means I might actually enjoy restarting new characters/builds (just like in Souls games) instead of just going into NG+ and ++ and so on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I completely took their level designs for granted at one point, thinking the combat, gear, creative enemy designs and atmosphere were the main reasons why many played their games, but it was mainly because I had just gotten so used to it within their own releases that it seemed "standard" (their games were about all I played for a while). I think Nioh's combat was a pretty big step up in many ways, but TN are not new to good combat mechanics. It's a shame that their level design wasn't comparable. This game is supposed to have improved upon the first, but unless the full game is drastically different than the beta/demo, it's still not worth considering the game for the exploration aspects.

Anyway, my system is ready for the pre-load.

Which demo did you play? The one we just had last weekend felt like a huge step up in level design compared to the beta.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Which demo did you play? The one we just had last weekend felt like a huge step up in level design compared to the beta.

I played both, and while the most recent demo was slightly better in some respects, it still wasn't so much better over the original Nioh that it became interesting. The beta level design, and to a lesser extent the last demo had areas that were maze-like, but not in an organic way, and seemed too convoluted just to have areas that looped back on top of each other, even if the areas made no real logical sense.

So, I hope there are actually some interesting areas and they actually mix up the textures more this time, but I'm expecting it to be more of the same for the most part. Getting it for the combat and bosses.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I already have the deluxe version pre ordered, but damn I really don't know if I should go with action mode or movie mode...

I know playing in 60FPS should be the priority, but I tried the demo and I thought that the game looked really bad and blurry on action mode to the point that it hindered my enjoyment a bit. I honestly don't remember Nioh looking that bad on 60FPS and I have that game platinum.

I played Nioh 1 on 60FPS mode, but usually lower FPS don't bother me that much even the frame pacing problem in some of the Souls games never bothered me...still I can't help but feel that playing Nioh at 30FPS would be wrong.

Anyone know if the game is better optimized compared to the first and second betas? (Didn't try the last one).

Discord server

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Oh yeah for those who might be interested, there's a SoulsEra Discord where we also discuss Nioh etc. pretty frequently so feel free to join. (Feel free to add it to the OP Noema, if you want, that is)

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews have been amazing. Makes me happy, and I hope everyone interested actually buys the game so that Sony can bring more action RPGs to PlayStation.

Feb 12, 2019
Alright, real talk: which two weapons should I primarily roll around with this time? By the end of my time with Nioh 1 I had dabbled with everything, but I spent the vast majority of my playthrough with the dual swords and spear. I liked what I saw of the Switchglaive and Hatchets in the beta, but it was also a really good reminder that the Odachi and Tonfa are rad.

Really, I think I could go for any of them if given too much time to think, and that's not even getting into if I want to go with Onmyo or Ninjutsu

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, real talk: which two weapons should I primarily roll around with this time? By the end of my time with Nioh 1 I had dabbled with everything, but I spent the vast majority of my playthrough with the dual swords and spear. I liked what I saw of the Switchglaive and Hatchets in the beta, but it was also a really good reminder that the Odachi and Tonfa are rad.

Really, I think I could go for any of them if given too much time to think, and that's not even getting into if I want to go with Onmyo or Ninjutsu

It really depends on your stat build. Switch Glaive seems to be a magic-scaling weapon, so if you aren't going to build up your magic stats I wouldn't focus on it. Hatchets are absolutely absurd.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm a Bloodborne fan but wasn't really sold on Sekiro (not because of the setting), how is this game? Is it just a pretty good Soulsclone?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm a Bloodborne fan but wasn't really sold on Sekiro (not because of the setting), how is this game? Is it just a pretty good Soulsclone?

Don't think of it like a Souls clone. It's a dark action RPG with a lot of dying and crazy boss fights, but beyond that, it's a pretty different beast.

Nioh is a TON of fun, but if you're not into loot games you might not like it.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Pre-ordered the deluxe edition for this one, rarely do that. The steelbook looks nice and it comes with the season pass so that's good enough for me.
Excited to go through it, hopefully within a week since Animal Crossing will take over my life on the 20th.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT.

This video might be useful.

I'm with that video right up to the point where he says you can either sell items for money or disassemble them for materials.

PSA: For the first 50-60 item levels, disassemble absolutely EVERYTHING! The resulting materials will sell for far, far more money than you would get from the item itself and you'll get umbracite on the side as well. This is fucking important. Early on, you can get 3-6x the money from the materials compared to what you get from the items sold as is.

The items will eventually catch up due to their price increasing with item levels and the material prices staying static, but it will take a good while before that happens. The higher the item quality tier, the later it happens.

Oct 25, 2017

You might like it. Bloodborne was one of my favorite games , it took a while before I finally got into this. There is much more emphasis on combat mechanics than Bloodborne and it's much more versatile than Bloodborne or Sekiro, and it has a lot of borrowed elements from SoulsBorne. But it is heavy on looting and grinding and getting good weapon and armor sets.

id say this give this a shot. I still can't put this game down. One thing that Nioh does really well is you can reset your build at any time - so you are never locked into a build. And if the demo is anything to go by, you can also redo your character creation at any time.