• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't me, but I somehow managed to beat him through sheer luck after the last blue phantom I tried summoning died in one hit at the very beginning of the fight.

Woof.

Oh man I got so excited I just beat it with someone and was hoping it was you. I'm glad you got past it though. I'm going to PM you my PSN name though if you ever need help again though. Just let me know

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
Is It even worthy to mess with the blacksmith during a NG playthrough? I'm playing with light armor and sometimes there are good stretches without a suitable replacement but on the other hand there's so much loot I don't even know if aiming for a specific build (I don't know, a poison build for example) is worthy besides a generic "tonfa + ninjutsu" which I'm doing now.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the platinum. Fantastic game. Way more fun than the first. Though I still think the difficulty balance is insanely out of whack.
I cannot understand why trash mobs hit so much harder than bosses. It's ridiculous.
But that and that the terrible writing are my only real complaints.
Gameplay is SO good.

I think if you just go to the menu and pick that mission and hit Become Visitor, you might get sorted into my game. I'm waiting at the shrine before the boss, so I can't back out of the mission and set a password or anything.

You can set a password from any prayer shrine mid-mission, FYI.
No need to back out to the world map.
Edit - You may need to withdraw any offered cups before you can change any settings, however. This won't cost you the cups. They'll go back to your stock, then you may proceed in changing your match-making settings and re-offering those cups.

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Is It even worthy to mess with the blacksmith during a NG playthrough? I'm playing with light armor and sometimes there are good stretches without a suitable replacement but on the other hand there's so much loot I don't even know if aiming for a specific build (I don't know, a poison build for example) is worthy besides a generic "tonfa + ninjutsu" which I'm doing now.

Depending on how you play and/or what you gear you rock, you may stand to be messing with blacksmith a lot. There's another, higher level of Umbracite you can acquire, which in turn means you can be customizing your gear further to your liking through reforging.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished first region, so far it's easy for me, granted I played the shit out of Nioh 1 so I am familiar with the combat but Nioh 2 provides many tools that make that game more "accessible", I didnt use any help from blue gravestone otherwise it will be a cakewalk. Really enjoy the game even though they reuse lots of assets from Nioh 1

Oct 27, 2017
Ok thanks! That's what I assumed, but maybe I'm not far enough to know some super secret shit. So I thought I should ask. Haha.

Anyone know a good elixer farm?

Don't farm them. Get all Kodama from main missions during your first playthrough and the bonus carries through NG+ if you select it at the shrine. I went from worried about it to almost 999 on NG+ without farming.

Daxter01

Nov 3, 2017
Oh my most hated boss from the first game is back😒 of all the bosses from the first game they had to brought Saika Magoichi back. Fuck

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I just did the Gozuki + Mezuki side mission. I was a little worried, but it turns out Mez pops when Goz got very little health, so it was manageable.

I stopped using Sloth (or any magic) long time ago. Sloth (and lightning debuff) messes my dodge and counter timing, and casting mid fight perturbs my flow. I'll see how far I can succeed like that ^^.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So I just died 74 times to Ryomen Sukuna. This is not hyperbole.

I actually had written a longer rant about this boss fight but the forum ate it when I tried a preview. Suffice it to say that, at a lower level (I am 50) this fight felt monumentally difficult. I don't think I had so much trouble with a boss since the Defiled Chalice Watchdog in Bloodborne, or maybe the Valkyrie Queen in God of War in Give me God of War difficulty. The boss has a trillion health, and it would kill me in one hit unless I used devigorate talisman. However, the talisman does nothing against arrows, and the arrows also killed me in one hit, on top of being almost impossible to dodge. I had to 'cheat' and use the Tatarimokke Soul Core which does pretty hefty Ki damage.

It seems no one else really had trouble with this boss other than me and I just want to tear my hair out. I really think he's monstrously difficult and borderline unfair at times.

Here's a video of me finally beating it. Critiques are welcome.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Playing Nioh 1 again after Platinuming Nioh 2 feels very strange, despite the games being so fundamentally similar. Maybe it's because of my different builds, but in Nioh 1, it feels like everything is much more short-lived; I do much more damage to pretty much all types of enemies, and my stamina doesn't run out nearly as often as in the second game. On the other hand, the Realm enemies and certain bosses hit like trucks in the first game. And the differences in the key bindings are throwing me off, lol.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Playing Nioh 1 again after Platinuming Nioh 2 feels very strange, despite the games being so fundamentally similar. Maybe it's because of my different builds, but in Nioh 1, it feels like everything is much more short-lived; I do much more damage to pretty much all types of enemies, and my stamina doesn't run out nearly as often as in the second game. On the other hand, the Realm enemies and certain bosses hit like trucks in the first game. And the differences in the key bindings are throwing me off, lol.

I have to say that I miss the simplicity of being able to cycle through shortcut sets with a single button in Nioh 1.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Really thinking about going for the platinum. Getting the proficiency seems less grindy than expected, getting the points for one weapon type is possible in a single main mission in NG+. And besides that, there are only a few collectables that could take some time. Sounds easy.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Currently up to the Owl boss, I think I have to change my plan up, because going after the red things when he goes dark mode doesn't seem to be working the best.

Started the game using the Tonfa and really loving it, but recently wanted to try new weapons and of the ones I tried I am kinda digging the switch axe.

what weapon types do you guys recommend?

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Really thinking about going for the platinum. Getting the proficiency seems less grindy than expected, getting the points for one weapon type is possible in a single main mission in NG+. And besides that, there are only a few collectables that could take some time. Sounds easy.

If the Platinum in Nioh 1 is any indication, the hardest (or most annoying) trophy would be the Samurai of Legend one, since it involves all the Twilight missions and if you're missing one, you'll have to wait several days until the mission shows up in the rotation again.

what weapon types do you guys recommend?

I really like the Kusarigama for breaking Yokai Ki, specially in high stance.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
You can also donate loot at the shrine

You can only get back up to 8 though, and then you have to do that every time you get to a shrine. Hehe.

I ended up going to the first mission, and farming 3 guys right after the second (?) Shrine, got like 50 in half hour or something. Quick and easy.

Don't farm them. Get all Kodama from main missions during your first playthrough and the bonus carries through NG+ if you select it at the shrine. I went from worried about it to almost 999 on NG+ without farming.

NG+? Common man! I'm here in the second area of the game, and you talking about after you beat the whole thing and are playing it again. 😂

Good to know that I won't need to farm for elixers after I beat the game though!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So I just died 74 times to Ryomen Sukuna. This is not hyperbole.

I actually had written a longer rant about this boss fight but the forum ate it when I tried a preview. Suffice it to say that, at a lower level (I am 50) this fight felt monumentally difficult. I don't think I had so much trouble with a boss since the Defiled Chalice Watchdog in Bloodborne, or maybe the Valkyrie Queen in God of War in Give me God of War difficulty. The boss has a trillion health, and it would kill me in one hit unless I used devigorate talisman. However, the talisman does nothing against arrows, and the arrows also killed me in one hit, on top of being almost impossible to dodge. I had to 'cheat' and use the Tatarimokke Soul Core which does pretty hefty Ki damage.

It seems no one else really had trouble with this boss other than me and I just want to tear my hair out. I really think he's monstrously difficult and borderline unfair at times.

Here's a video of me finally beating it. Critiques are welcome.

This boss gave me a LOT of trouble during the Last Chance trial. I don't know about 74 deaths but it was certainly 25+, maybe 30+. Even when I thought I got his pattern, he just did so much damage and had so much HP that I couldn't last that long.

But, in the main game I didn't have that much trouble. Maybe it's because I got gud or maybe I was more powerful, I'm not sure. But I do wonder how it'd go if I didn't have the previous practice.

As for critique... One thing I noticed is that you often stay somewhat far, but that's dangerous. When at long range, he does the water based attacks which are sometimes hard to avoid (I can never burst counter the spammy water one, ever, and that thing wrecks you in addition to inflicting water status if you somehow survive), his arrow spam is annoying (his delayed ones that land on you a few seconds later are even worse, I often forget about those), and the icy floaty spikes are easy to avoid but sometimes they follow you in a bad spot.

Staying close triggers his fire attacks and I find that easier to handle overall.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017

The Nioh 2 platinum is way easier than the first game. Grinding proficiency for the weapons is easy, the only grindy trophies are the ones for Soul Cores and getting 50 teacups. Funnily enough, I got the Soul Core and teacup trophies at the exact same time which unlocked the Plat for me.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
today is axe day! This weapon melts both life and ki with less effort. Seems powerful, could go up as perma secondary for me.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Tengus continue to be the worst. At least if you have space you can bait their jump and dive over and over. They just never stagger!

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
If the Platinum in Nioh 1 is any indication, the hardest (or most annoying) trophy would be the Samurai of Legend one, since it involves all the Twilight missions and if you're missing one, you'll have to wait several days until the mission shows up in the rotation again.
Pretty sure those missions aren't required for the trophy (in Nioh 2, at least).
(But even if they were, there are only eight of them, so it wouldn't be that bad.)

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
The Nioh 2 platinum is way easier than the first game. Grinding proficiency for the weapons is easy, the only grindy trophies are the ones for Soul Cores and getting 50 teacups. Funnily enough, I got the Soul Core and teacup trophies at the exact same time which unlocked the Plat for me.
Heh I have both of those trophies but no platinum yet, ended up getting them just by playing not specifically going for them.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, Shibata Katsuie is utter bullshit boss. Almost forced fire damage in dark realm, spin attack is impossible to avoid by running/dodging and if you block it, it hits you so many times you will get ki drained unless you are at almost full ki. Charge attack lasts forever if you keep dodging so you are forced to block the attack, then dodge backwards. In dark realm it's random. Sometimes it fully tracks you, sometimes it goes random directions. Sometimes it only lets me burst counter the fucking combo AFTER I have taken half health bar woth of damage.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
OK, that castle boss with the eyes is a pain in the taint....
Very reminiscent of the "final" boss of Nioh 1. While it's not too bad the annoying part is getting hit in the back constantly if you don't pay attention, which happen fairly frequently to me. >_>;

Recently finished NG+ with a LV160 +9 in tow, one more upgrade for the current cap (surprised it isn't 15 like base game Nioh 1) but a Level170 would make me tremendously happy! Wish I had gotten the Yasakani Magatama during NG+ instead of getting it as a reward for the final mission but oh well.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat Shibata. Damn that was intense. I retrace some steps about him being bs.. just had to learn its patterns and it was easy. Had to watch out for his one-hit kill grab though.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So how does this compared to Nioh 1? I liked Nioh 1 a lot but eventually fell off because I felt the game was too padded out / too long (as I assume a lot of people did). Is this game structured similarly? My understanding is it's just as long, but has the pacing/moment to moment quality changed at all?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Can nearly take out Toshiee in one combo.

So how does this compared to Nioh 1? I liked Nioh 1 a lot but eventually fell off because I felt the game was too padded out / too long (as I assume a lot of people did). Is this game structured similarly? My understanding is it's just as long, but has the pacing/moment to moment quality changed at all?
If that was your problem I don't really think this one will fix it, there's more missions overall here if you're counting the side stuff.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
What are all the ways to regain some of the blue meter for ally's when playing coop? Sometime it goes back up and we're not sure why or how.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Poison shuriken. I have 80% melee damage vs poisoned enemies so getting a quick poison off on stuff helps, and also an extra 54% poison accumulation.

How did you get so much extra damage vs. Poisoned enemies? That's sort of the build I'm going for but other than the Yatsu-no-kami Core (20% extra damage) I haven't found much. I tried to see if I could temper it into some of my gear but it didn't seem to roll with regular Umbracite. I don't even know it that's possible in NG?

Last edited: