• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
this game is so light on music. Give me some good tracks. I think the blacksmith is quieter for this game, at least for my PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the latter portion of the game and my time with this game has been a nightmare almost. I call Nioh 2 "obnoxiously difficult" in that it just throws everything at you(gank squads, environmental hazards, snipers.etc) all at once with reckless abandon. It's that "spikes on top of spikes on top of spikes" type of difficulty that borders on comical due to the absurdity of it all. In the last few missions it has gotten repetitive and exhausting so I usually found myself just darting to the next shrine and/or boss. Also, I'm rocking nothing but level appropriate heavy armor but lessor enemies still 1-2 shot me easily.

I don't remember having this bad of a time with Nioh 1. I remember the early game being tough, but the latter half was smooth sailing for me. I guess my gaming skills have fallen off a cliff these past 2 years lol.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Beat the main game. It dragged a bit towards the regions 4 and 5 but after that it really picked itself up. The soundtrack too.

Question for those who beat the first games DLC; I never played it, is the section with William after or before that DLC ends? Like how did it show these nioh 2 events in that game?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Good god this game is exhausting.

yeah, too long for its own good

3 deaths so far to Gyuki, first boss that's been annoying (none of the other bosses killed me more than once, if at all). Any tips? Spear build, all melee and very little invested into magic or ninjutsu.

stick to his ass and be aggressive. you can also assault his legs, seems to do more damage. he is not hard at all, just stay close, dodge and be aggressive.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Was the way you can see mimics and how to make them leave without combat present in Nioh 1 as well?!

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the main game. It dragged a bit towards the regions 4 and 5 but after that it really picked itself up. The soundtrack too.

Question for those who beat the first games DLC; I never played it, is the section with William after or before that DLC ends? Like how did it show these nioh 2 events in that game?
The parts involving William essentially wraps up what happened in Nioh 1 DLC chapters. Maria shows up to basically continue doing for Spain what Kelley was doing for the British Empire and William was naturally there to put a stop to it. The first chapter involved Maria working with Date Masamune and the other two were the two sieges of Osaka with Maria working with the Toyotomi side.

Nioh 2 events prior to you waking up to William don't clock in that game at all, since William shows up in Japan after MC goes to sleep. The one exception would be if you did all the interim quests, you'd know that Azai Nagamasas and Oichis daughter, Chacha, supposedly had a son with Tokichiro while both Tokichiro and Takenaka Hanbei commented at some point that Tokichiro can't have children. In Nioh 1, Hideyori was an Amrita born homonculus, though it was basically just a throwaway piece of info.

And I totally forgot, but the Nine Tailed Fox, Tamamo-no-Mae, who escaped from Byodo-In just before you fight Shuten Douji, shows up in the 3rd DLC.
Was the way you can see mimics and how to make them leave without combat present in Nioh 1 as well?!
If you mean the Mujina, who occasionally pop from chests, yes. They remain unchanged from Nioh 1. Literally only new thing about them is that you can get a Soul Core.

Last edited:

Menthuss

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus how low is the droprate for boss skills??
I've farmed Yoshitatsu and his bullshit grabs like 20+ times now.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Just completed it. Damn this game did overstay its welcome and the last battle was not very epic at all. What is wrong with Team Ninja? It seems they lost steam midway through game planning.
Was cool to see William though. What about the flash backs after the final battle?

Oct 3, 2019
I don't know how, but I seem to have gotten worse the more I've played.

I'm almost at the end, but I think I'll take a break. I'm getting pretty bored at this point, despite loving it for a while.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Just completed it. Damn this game did overstay its welcome and the last battle was not very epic at all. What is wrong with Team Ninja? It seems they lost steam midway through game planning.
Was cool to see William though. What about the flash backs after the final battle?

I liked the final fight a lot and that finishing animation was amazing.

That being said it would have been cooler if there had been a full new unique level leading up to it.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Just finished it! The ending was great and the final boss was super cool.

I managed to do all the side missions to.

Can't wait for the dlc.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I'm in the latter portion of the game and my time with this game has been a nightmare almost. I call Nioh 2 "obnoxiously difficult" in that it just throws everything at you(gank squads, environmental hazards, snipers.etc) all at once with reckless abandon. It's that "spikes on top of spikes on top of spikes" type of difficulty that borders on comical due to the absurdity of it all. In the last few missions it has gotten repetitive and exhausting so I usually found myself just darting to the next shrine and/or boss. Also, I'm rocking nothing but level appropriate heavy armor but lessor enemies still 1-2 shot me easily.

I don't remember having this bad of a time with Nioh 1. I remember the early game being tough, but the latter half was smooth sailing for me. I guess my gaming skills have fallen off a cliff these past 2 years lol.

for me it was the opposite...Nioh 2 just repeats ambush patterns, it is like "been here, done that". that being said, there are side missions which are much trickier than the main ones.

I don't know how, but I seem to have gotten worse the more I've played.

I'm almost at the end, but I think I'll take a break. I'm getting pretty bored at this point, despite loving it for a while.

same here...started on map 6 and i am burned out

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Never touched online in Nioh, how do I help random people with bosses and such?

On the map, go to the menu where you find the Blacksmith, Shrine, Hut, etc and choose "Torii Gate".

From there, you can choose to do Expeditions (full coop on which both players progress and you share a life bar that depletes each time one dies) or random encounters, in which another player summons you from a shrine, similar to the Souls series.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
ANYWAYS, Nioh 2 is pretty great. It's definitely more like Nioh 1.5 like a lot of people have been saying. But that's fine by me. I loved the original. It's one of my favorite Souls-likes across the entire genre. The highly customizable, variable loot sets and different build specs are what gets me.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I think my only big complaint is that I didn't find myself using Yokai shift that much besides using it to safely get the last few hits on a boss. I appreciate that it's not as broken as living weapon, which I found trivialized most fights, but it really feels like the meter should fill up faster and the shift should last longer. Even late game it didn't feel that useful, but I'm sure I could adjust my build a bit.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I think my only big complaint is that I didn't find myself using Yokai shift that much besides using it to safely get the last few hits on a boss. I appreciate that it's not as broken as living weapon, which I found trivialized most fights, but it really feels like the meter should fill up faster and the shift should last longer. Even late game it didn't feel that useful, but I'm sure I could adjust my build a bit.
No doubt. My experience has been very similar. But I'm still mid-game and expecting Yokai shift to get stronger and more customizable later on.

I'm also struggling with the feral burst counter. It seems so inconsistent, and worse.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm at my limit. I've been running this "The Burning Sky" sidemission for five fucking hours and it's just impossible. Gank squad after gank squad after gank squad after gank squad after gank squad. And then the boss fight throws an Onryudo and a Karasu Tengu at you at the same time while ALSO having assholes pepper you with hand cannon shots AND two axe skeletons poise through everything you do.

Absolute trash-tier game design and it's actually making me kind of hate the rest of the game retroactively. These developers need to find a new gimmick because this one fucking sucks.

OP
OP
Noema

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
They really like to go nuts with some of the side missions. "The Return of the Gourd" in Nioh 1 (you fight several waves of revenants and then Oda Nobunaga and The Obsidian Samurai at the same time" probably took me... 200 tries?

I remember reading an interview where the developers mentioned they tuned those missions for coop.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm at my limit. I've been running this "The Burning Sky" sidemission for five fucking hours and it's just impossible. Gank squad after gank squad after gank squad after gank squad after gank squad. And then the boss fight throws an Onryudo and a Karasu Tengu at you at the same time while ALSO having assholes pepper you with hand cannon shots AND two axe skeletons poise through everything you do.

Absolute trash-tier game design and it's actually making me kind of hate the rest of the game retroactively. These developers need to find a new gimmick because this one fucking sucks.
You can atually fight only the Onryudo. The Tengu only spawns if you kill both the ranged skeletons. Or at least that was the case for me but I did it back during release not sure if the update changed it.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
On the map, go to the menu where you find the Blacksmith, Shrine, Hut, etc and choose "Torii Gate".

From there, you can choose to do Expeditions (full coop on which both players progress and you share a life bar that depletes each time one dies) or random encounters, in which another player summons you from a shrine, similar to the Souls series.
Thanks! Helped a few players with killing the snake. Got some nice soul cores out of it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You can atually fight only the Onryudo. The Tengu only spawns if you kill both the ranged skeletons. Or at least that was the case for me but I did it back during release not sure if the update changed it.

I can't fight an onryudo while also dodging cannonfire that can twoshot me. There's no way I'd be able to beat it that way.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think one of the things that Nioh 2 reminded me of is how much I absolutely love detailed character creators. It's so fun every time I see my character in cutscenes, and I love how good they look. They don't look that different from the other NPCs which can be a bit issue in a lot of custom character games.

Give me more amazing character creator games. Maybe I just need to go replay Dragon's Dogma.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Just finished--really liked the last few regions, despite what others are saying. Some really cool levels in there, and I liked the story more than I would have expected. Can't wait for DLC! Meanwhile gotta grind through those higher difficulties.

One final thought:
"show me William's butt you cowards"

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
No doubt. My experience has been very similar. But I'm still mid-game and expecting Yokai shift to get stronger and more customizable later on.

I'm also struggling with the feral burst counter. It seems so inconsistent, and worse.
I used feral for the whole game. I find it best to not touch the joystick if your going for the counter. If you don't do that you tend to miss.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Beat the game and really loved the last few levels, especially cherry blossom viewing in daigo. Now that I'm ng+ whats the deal with getting 170s and +10?

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
The one-legged jerks with the giant hammer (one is in the blacksmith's forge helping her), are my bane. My stomach drops every time I have to fight one. It's just so inconsistent on when I can beat them.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of excited to get through each weapon proficiency to find out which one I like the most. (120,000 for each to unlock the mystic art if you are going for the plat). So far the Odachi is my favorite but I've only done that as well as sword, and duel swords. I love when you find the right gear in these games and things click. I'm not there yet and getting destroyed regularly lol

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Funny how many little hidden things there are in those sub missions... For example, just as I suspected, changing your appearance to Mumyō's in Immovable (Shadow) triggers an alternate resolution.

Teasers for the DLC.
One of those three characters is wearing the DLC armor set that supposedly belonged to Sakanoue no Tamuramaro, and there are some references here and there to Suzuka Gozen or to the main character being the young warrior from the legend, so I'm expecting time travel (to Heian, at least).

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Did they patch out the ability to use Soul Cores for soul matching weapons? Or is it just only for corrupted weapons and nothing else?

Update: I ended up beating it by trolling Onryudo through the door with arrows and luring him into the cave outside of the boss room so nothing else could attack me. He wants to cheat, I'll cheat right back.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So is there a way to actually upgrade armor that you forged via texts to divine, or can you only get divine equivalents through drops? Because if you can only get them through drops, that means you end up having to waste more stats just to equip them than you would if you had forged the set yourself.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how people rage about this game when there is so many tools to deal with shit. Reminds me everyone trying to convince someone that hino enma is actually a very learnable fight.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

the sidemissions are often meant to be cheap and punishing. just laugh your way through it use bow/gun and stop every few metres looking everywhere for enemies.

in fact, no main mission was as hard as some side missions when it comes to enemy placement. i feel some of those were designed with co op in mind.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

those are the main criticisms I have with the game. the gank squads and there are a million enemies pelting you with cannon balls, arrows and bullets from up above in every fucking level. So fucking annoying.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
this game is so light on music. Give me some good tracks. I think the blacksmith is quieter for this game, at least for my PS4.
Yeah, I was a bit shocked to see one or two posters in this thread positively mention the music. I couldn't remember a single piece of it that wasn't also from the first game.

At the final bit, you only have to kill the big dude to end the mission. You can run past the Tengu and shit on the cliffs and fight them where it's less bullshit.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Just finished it at level 45. Liked it more than I think I would. Unlike the first one, I will 100% this one. Really nice game.