• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 2, 2018
Okay, because of the hype of Nioh 2 I tried Nioh 1 again after dropping the game in my first attempt right after the tutorial.
I'm not very far yet, I just activated the third shrine (?, the bonfire equivalent) in the fishing village, but I now have much more fun with it than the last time I tried!
I play it with the Switch Pro Controller and after some button-mapping it works really well. I played Dark Souls 1-3 with mouse + keyboard and without locking on to enemies, so it's a really stark contrast now to play with a controller and with lock-on. I picked a spear as my weapon of choice and I'm perhaps a little bit of a coward: I throw rocks at enemies to lure them to me one (sometimes sadly two) by one to kill them with the range of my spear.

At this point in the game I just kill everything with my standard light and heavy attacks, but I probably have to learn all the complicated stuff with ki and anima later to beat the game, right? I would love to just play it like Dark Souls, without magic and the other stuff, but I don't know if that will be possible in this game.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
At this point in the game I just kill everything with my standard light and heavy attacks, but I probably have to learn all the complicated stuff with ki and anima later to beat the game, right? I would love to just play it like Dark Souls, without magic and the other stuff, but I don't know if that will be possible in this game.

It is absolutely possible to play it without magic. Magic helps, but it is in no way indispensable.

What is pretty important is for you to learn Ki management. Specifically Ki Pulse(press R1 as soon as the blue sparks gather around your character after attacking).

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018
It is absolutely possible to play it without magic. Magic helps, but it is in no way indispensable.

What is pretty important is for you to learn Ki management. Specifically Ki Flux (press R1 as soon as the blue sparks gather around your character after attacking).

Oh, that's good to hear! And thank you for the advice, I'll keep an eye on it!

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Oh man coming back to this game is..easy and hard. I dropped it as it just turned into a loot game, but felt inspired to play.

Like how do I even do a ground slam with the chain thing..or spirit animal, after activating just attack?

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this back up in the lead up to Nioh 2 (in order to trick myself into not buying 2 at full price until I at least played the DLC I bought for Nioh 1) and am finally in the post credits endgame missions, which are fun as hell but mostly very silly "ok fight two bosses at once!" fodder... or every weapon master in a row! (Honestly surprised there wasn't another mission that had me fight all six at once.)

I've cleared a bunch of them but this one where it's 4 waves of two Revenants followed by two late game human bosses is pretty absurd; should I move on and clear the first DLC before trying to beat this (and Two Kings Nioh)?

Also, I guess everyone moved on to Nioh 2?

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this back up in the lead up to Nioh 2 (in order to trick myself into not buying 2 at full price until I at least played the DLC I bought for Nioh 1) and am finally in the post credits endgame missions, which are fun as hell but mostly very silly "ok fight two bosses at once!" fodder... or every weapon master in a row! (Honestly surprised there wasn't another mission that had me fight all six at once.)

I've cleared a bunch of them but this one where it's 4 waves of two Revenants followed by two late game human bosses is pretty absurd; should I move on and clear the first DLC before trying to beat this (and Two Kings Nioh)?

Also, I guess everyone moved on to Nioh 2?

I did DLC first. DLC is really more like NG+, it is more difficult than the regular game, but allows you to farm Revenants and grind accordingly.

Two Kings are hard, and I find the two bosses mode to be more annoying than anything. I'm sure someone can beat it with pure skills, but I preferred to level up and gave myself more chances to succeed, and it was still hard.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I did DLC first. DLC is really more like NG+, it is more difficult than the regular game, but allows you to farm Revenants and grind accordingly.

Two Kings are hard, and I find the two bosses mode to be more annoying than anything. I'm sure someone can beat it with pure skills, but I preferred to level up and gave myself more chances to succeed, and it was still hard.

I'm pretty high level now, 154, so I was able to do Two Kings Nioh pretty "easily" (I did use a quick change scroll) but Iga-Style seems impossible unless I change up my build to have agility A... as soon as Frog shows up I get stunlocked and die, every time... when I even get to him.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Iga style was manageable by keeping the toad Sloth'd while I killed Hanzo as fast as possible.

Caltrops also help if you have them.

Oct 25, 2017
I find, for better or worse, on higher difficulties (Way of Wise or Nioh) it's really kill or be killed. The longer the battle drags the more likely I will lose. I essentially relied on Suzaku to stun lock and deplete the enemies ki, beat the crap out of them before they can react

I will say though, the idea of forcing you to reconsider your build is what makes the game fun for me. There are always tweaks to consider in addition to getting better at the gameplay and skills.

I didn't go Ninjitsu but I went from going full magic and living weapon build to a sword build for the reasons I mentioned.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I find, for better or worse, on higher difficulties (Way of Wise or Nioh) it's really kill or be killed. The longer the battle drags the more likely I will lose. I essentially relied on Suzaku to stun lock and deplete the enemies ki, beat the crap out of them before they can react

I will say though, the idea of forcing you to reconsider your build is what makes the game fun for me. There are always tweaks to consider in addition to getting better at the gameplay and skills.

I didn't go Ninjitsu but I went from going full magic and living weapon build to a sword build for the reasons I mentioned.

I'm probably going to move on to Nioh 2 before I get to the point that every fight is that hard; if I'd finished this out a couple years ago I could see sticking with it but there's a whole other game to play now!

I got through the second or third main mission of the first dlc tonight; the one with the towers that shoot at you if you haven't cleared them out before fighting the mid-boss who gives a speech. The main boss of the stage (dual sword guy with wind and water living weapons) was the perfect difficulty for my character: I almost won on my first attempt, died 5 times in a row, won a very sloppy victory, then speed ran the stage to fight him again and won stylishly. Love it.

I coulda made it a lot easier using sloth over and over again but I decided to only do that while he was living weapon'ed up.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably going to move on to Nioh 2 before I get to the point that every fight is that hard; if I'd finished this out a couple years ago I could see sticking with it but there's a whole other game to play now!

I got through the second or third main mission of the first dlc tonight; the one with the towers that shoot at you if you haven't cleared them out before fighting the mid-boss who gives a speech. The main boss of the stage (dual sword guy with wind and water living weapons) was the perfect difficulty for my character: I almost won on my first attempt, died 5 times in a row, won a very sloppy victory, then speed ran the stage to fight him again and won stylishly. Love it.

I coulda made it a lot easier using sloth over and over again but I decided to only do that while he was living weapon'ed up.

Sounds like you are having fun, which is great. In my experience, yeah, at later difficulties using sloth/weakness/any debuffs became pointless because the effect wore down almost instantaneously. Oh, and by the way, there is also a mechanism where you can have a full bar of Living Weapon ready to use, the enemies can hit you and make you lose that until you hit them back. And even if you are in LW mode, it goes away when you get hit like once or twice lol

I'm mentioning all this because it really motivated me to change my approach to the game. And I really enjoyed leveling up my character

by the way, if you don't know already, there is a Hayabusa fight in DLC3, you can get izuna drop, Fire ball nippo, dragon sword, Hayabusa kusa, and the Hayabusa armor set. I love the izuna drop, not only is it a classic ninja gaiden move, but its a far superior grapple move, insane damage and you replenish your ki while you are doing it. Fun as hell

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
I'm LTTP to this. Downloaded for the first time a week ago and just beat the epilogue boss. I'm normally a completionist but I can't be arsed to do all those side missions where you fight two bosses at once.

Really enjoyed it if I'm honest. In some ways it doesn't measure up to From's offerings but in some ways it surpasses them. I kind of find a style that works for me and just stick to it. I never changed stances the entire game (except by accident) and got through the game using different versions the same weapon. But despite that I can still really appreciate the depth of gameplay that Team Ninja created. It's pretty staggering. Probably gonna jump into Nioh 2 tomorrow.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Nioh 2 is fantastic, anyone on the fence should jump in. I do prefer 1 by a very slight margin but both are incredible.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
So I didn't really enjoy the beta all those years back so I never bought Nioh. Well I got bored and tried to revisit. It is fun, but - my god - managing the loot in this game is a full time job. I also don't really feel I need a build, to min max, or anything else. I went Kusarigama with light armor and it is a blast. Tons of dodging, shrunkens, ki pulsing. It is an enjoyable game and I am finding myself doing nearly every sub mission bc I really like the game. Fuck the ninja mansion.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Did not realize there were other difficulties.
Two in the base game, and three more if you have all the DLC.
It gets seriously unforgiving, and I found that with each new difficulty, I had to take more time to understand systems I had mostly ignored up until then.
I believe I've seen one of the developers claim that difficulties 1 to 4 are just the tutorial for the final difficulty. That was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment, buuut...

Oct 25, 2017
Two in the base game, and three more if you have all the DLC.
It gets seriously unforgiving, and I found that with each new difficulty, I had to take more time to understand systems I had mostly ignored up until then.
I believe I've seen one of the developers claim that difficulties 1 to 4 are just the tutorial for the final difficulty. That was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment, buuut...

I would add personally that game really takes it up a whole new notch around Way of the Wise...NG+3? But it gets lamer the further you go. Essentially it just comes down to getting killed by one hit or finding ways around it through offense. It was a bit of challenge that you can't cheese yourself way through but the game just becomes masochistic at that point...-and there's the Abyss!

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I thought I'd get back into Nioh and do the DLCs and the rest of the missions I haven't completed. I left off right after the last boss last year - should I go for Way of the Strong right off the bat or just jump into the DLC?

Also I've lost all recollection of what my build is so I have no idea what I'm doing essentially.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
I thought I'd get back into Nioh and do the DLCs and the rest of the missions I haven't completed. I left off right after the last boss last year - should I go for Way of the Strong right off the bat or just jump into the DLC?
Going straight from the end of the base game to the DLC may not be a good idea as there's a pretty big difficulty spike. You might want to play a fair amount of Way of the Strong first.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Going straight from the end of the base game to the DLC may not be a good idea as there's a pretty big difficulty spike. You might want to play a fair amount of Way of the Strong first.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I tried the first mission in the first DLC, I managed to beat the boss (Date Shigezane) but it was quite tricky since I constantly got one-shotted. I'm trying WotS now, we'll see how it goes!

Thanks.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a newbie with the collection on ps5, I finished nioh 1. I don't feel like ng+ and repeat the same missions I enjoyed it. But before I go to nioh 2... I can't beat the last dlc mission with two boss including nine tails. Anyone willing to help ?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these later missions are really making me hate the game. "Night Falls Again", for example... I hope light armor builds aren't punished as heavily in Nioh 2.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
The Fare of the Afterlife is no joke. Maybe I need to start using living weapon!

And maybe summon all the revenants before Sanada, but that is probably overkill.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I got past Sanada, but now I'm stuck on Hayabusa and I'm getting completely demolished by him. Any advice?

EDIT: I eventually got it after a few tries. So that's all achievements done, what a ride! Looking forward to the next one. ;)

Last edited:

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How works the DLC on the first Nioh? I would like start the game on my PS5 and eventually get the Collection later.