• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Started playing the game, I'm having trouble fighting the first boss that you find in a ship.

How should I increase my stats? and what armor use? I just pick whatever has the highest number while not exceeding the weight, but maybe I could improve my game

Also, I'm still not sure which stance to use and what weapons are the best for each situation

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Started playing the game, I'm having trouble fighting the first boss that you find in a ship.

How should I increase my stats? and what armor use? I just pick whatever has the highest number while not exceeding the weight, but maybe I could improve my game

Also, I'm still not sure which stance to use and what weapons are the best for each situation
Get used to playing patiently and knowing how to dodge and block. Also, master Ki pulsing after every attack transition. The stats you increase depend on the weapon(s) you want to use. Want to use a Katana, for example? Increase heart. As for armor, it depends. If you have enough strength, use heavy armor. If not, use light or medium. You want to make sure you have a level "B" agility at least so you can dodge and run properly.

As for stances, every stance is vital to every weapon type. Low stance lets you dodge faster and attack enemies low to the ground, mid-stance is the "balanced" stance, while high stance typically has slower but more powerful attacks that also drain enemy fatigue faster.

If you want to have an easier time in general, I recommend investing in spear. Has great range and mid-stance spear can make it easier to kill lots of enemies. IMO, weapons like katana should be used once you've gotten used to the mechanics. I noob'ed my way through the early parts by using axe and spear, but it was still really hard. Now that I understand the mechanics of the game, I use katana.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Get used to playing patiently and knowing how to dodge and block. Also, master Ki pulsing after every attack transition. The stats you increase depend on the weapon(s) you want to use. Want to use a Katana, for example? Increase heart. As for armor, it depends. If you have enough strength, use heavy armor. If not, use light or medium. You want to make sure you have a level "B" agility at least so you can dodge and run properly.

As for stances, every stance is vital to every weapon type. Low stance lets you dodge faster and attack enemies low to the ground, mid-stance is the "balanced" stance, while high stance typically has slower but more powerful attacks that also drain enemy fatigue faster.

If you want to have an easier time in general, I recommend investing in spear. Has great range and mid-stance spear can make it easier to kill lots of enemies. IMO, weapons like katana should be used once you've gotten used to the mechanics. I noob'ed my way through the early parts by using axe and spear, but it was still really hard. Now that I understand the mechanics of the game, I use katana.

Thanks for the write up

I picked the odachi and the double swords as my starting weapons, and I'm building my stats towards those 2, but don't know when I should give some points to other stats to balance a little the things

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the write up

I picked the odachi and the double swords as my starting weapons, and I'm building my stats towards those 2, but don't know when I should give some points to other stats to balance a little the things

Nioh doesn't benefit at all from balanced stats. You get more and more OP the more you power level into your strongest stats. Also you can reallocate your stats very cheaply as many times as you want so don't worry about it too much.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide to playing this game for people who really like the combat but really hate the loot grind? I want to revisit this soon but somehow ignore the random loot part of the game as much as possible without making it impossibly hard by accident.

I got pretty far in and then dropped it in part because I found dealing with my frequently-full inventory very tedious.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Should I only raise the stats of the attribute related to my main weapon or should I mix?

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide to playing this game for people who really like the combat but really hate the loot grind? I want to revisit this soon but somehow ignore the random loot part of the game as much as possible without making it impossibly hard by accident.

I got pretty far in and then dropped it in part because I found dealing with my frequently-full inventory very tedious.

The loot grind only really starts after you beat the game. You can play the game normally the first time without really paying attention to the loot other than using the best highest level weapon or armor that you have of the type you want to use.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
The loot grind only really starts after you beat the game. You can play the game normally the first time without really paying attention to the loot other than using the best highest level weapon or armor that you have of the type you want to use.

Ok so if I like my current weapon and armor I can just grind everything in my inventory into components each time I run out of space?

Anything in particular I should be hanging on to?

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so if I like my current weapon and armor I can just grind everything in my inventory into components each time I run out of space?

If you like a specific weapon type and you get a higher level version of it to drop then you should switch to that one.

If you like a particular set of armor then keep that.

But yeah otherwise go ahead and grind everything else up.

Even if you do get into the loot grind later on you'll need to grind for new equipment.

stn

Oct 28, 2017

If you truly don't care for better loot, just sacrifice everything you don't want for amrita, that'll help you level up faster.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I only played the base game and I am considering buying the discounted season pass. Can you get the new weapon types right from the beginning if you start a new game?

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
So I coming back to the game. I never really got into the entire stat thing but I need better armour. I mainly use the kusariga. Is dragon ninja set bonus good? How do I get the smithing text for that?

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
I only played the base game and I am considering buying the discounted season pass. Can you get the new weapon types right from the beginning if you start a new game?
Yes, the DLC weapon types are added to the loot pool as soon as you acquire the respective DLCs.
So I coming back to the game. I never really got into the entire stat thing but I need better armour. I mainly use the kusariga. Is dragon ninja set bonus good? How do I get the smithing text for that?
As with most of the smithing texts, you get it by farming the owner of the set. The Master Ninja mission's drops include the texts for the sword, kusarigama, the armor set and two special Skills.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Quick question about the DLC for this game: Is all of it post-game? Or does it add stuff for a person doing his first playthrough in the early game too?

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
As with most of the smithing texts, you get it by farming the owner of the set. The Master Ninja mission's drops include the texts for the sword, kusarigama, the armor set and two special Skills.

Yes I can't find any info though. I found this

You have to either farm jin hayabusa (submission 3rd dlc) or do some abyss floor 4 hanzo smithing text farms. Supposedly the hanzo method has a chance to drop the dragon sword text as well, but the smithing text pool is all the smithing texts.

So is there a specific mission in the summer dlc that I need to get to?

Wiki is almost useless for this game.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

Hayabusa Shinobi Apparel Set - Drops from Jin Hayabusa (The Master Ninja) - any difficulty

You have to farm him.

If you beat the same mission on Way of the Nioh difficulty then the smithing text for the Dragon Sword is a guaranteed reward. That's the only way to get it.

BTW, don't farm Hanzo in the Abyss. Just don't.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up the Complete Editoon on the PSN sale - so far, really loving it.

Playing with the DLC equipment to make things a bit easier at the start, so don't judge me!

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
After platinuming the game during release, finally after Nioh 2 announcement jumping back to finish the DLC's.
Just me or does the Tonfa feel super strong? These things pulverizes the bosses so hard.
2/3 DLC done at the moment, can't wait for more info about Nioh 2.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
After platinuming the game during release, finally after Nioh 2 announcement jumping back to finish the DLC's.
Just me or does the Tonfa feel super strong? These things pulverizes the bosses so hard.
2/3 DLC done at the moment, can't wait for more info about Nioh 2.

Tonfa are widely considered to be the weakest weapon. They never got a chance to be buffed like the Odachi because TN stopped working on the game.

You may be over leveled for the DLC if you got the platinum

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tonfa are widely considered to be the weakest weapon. They never got a chance to be buffed like the Odachi because TN stopped working on the game.

You may be over leveled for the DLC if you got the platinum
I'm 180Lv, and the problem isn't level since I get my ass kicked with other weapons, but with Tonfa it's time to make some Tofu.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
How much of an effect does armour have in this game? I'm doing what I assume is a bit of a glass cannon build, think I have something like 10-12 points in health then staying under 30% equip then 20 skill/heart and I think 45 Dex so far. So I tend to die from 1-2 hits, but the thing is earlier in the run I was running more medium armour and I felt like I was dying at roughly the same kind of speed but maybe getting 1 shot a little bit less. A lot of the game feels like I'm just cutting through everything then make one mistake and get 1 shot. Then cut through everything again. Does heavier armour make the game less knife edge or is the health stat the bigger impact on survivability? I do prefer the faster paced play style I have but I'm curious how much it changes.

Been finding the game significantly easier as it's gone on, really. The lack of versatility early on really seems to provide most of the challenge so far as I felt I was constantly fighting against the Ki system (needing to pulse to recover it but oftentimes doing so wouldn't give me enough time to evade the next incoming attack) but with a more filled out skill tree it's not really an issue for me any more and I can just output constant aggression.

Last boss I killed was Ogress I think. Her and Giant Toad I got first time but I struggled a lot with earlier bosses like Hino Enma. Nue and Yuki Onna were probably the most retries so far after that, though the Nue reprise fight I had in a side mission was pretty straightforward. Yuki Onna was the most annoying, I never really got to grips with dodging the projectiles at all and ended up just doing a ridiculously aggressive start so she'd get to 50% health and then just bait the long range grab for the rest of the fight.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
There are tanky builds. Yes. The first part of the game is harder because your learning how to play too. After that you know what to expect. Also the faster bosses like Yuki and Enma are harder.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Nioh Noob here: so I'm really loving the Kusarigama weapon and plan to stick with it mainly.

I see DEX is the main stat to invest in for this weapon - and dex effects Ninjitsu, which I have yet to encounter. How useful is ninjutsu? What does it bring to the game?

Also - I started with the Nioh Kusarigama that I got from the DLC - are they're better versions to look forward to? I don't want to invest in a weapon that doesn't offer cooler versions later on - I'm a sucker for aesthetics to, so also asking about different LOOKING versions of the weapon.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh Noob here: so I'm really loving the Kusarigama weapon and plan to stick with it mainly.

I see DEX is the main stat to invest in for this weapon - and dex effects Ninjitsu, which I have yet to encounter. How useful is ninjutsu? What does it bring to the game?

Also - I started with the Nioh Kusarigama that I got from the DLC - are they're better versions to look forward to? I don't want to invest in a weapon that doesn't offer cooler versions later on - I'm a sucker for aesthetics to, so also asking about different LOOKING versions of the weapon.

Kusarigama is one of the strongest weapons in the game. It was nerfed several times because it was so strong. But it is still one of the strongest.

Ninjitsu is also a lot stronger than Omnyo in general. There are a lot of great OP Ninjitsu skills. Like quick change scrolls.

All the weapons have great versions that you can pick up later in the game too.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Kusarigama is one of the strongest weapons in the game. It was nerfed several times because it was so strong. But it is still one of the strongest.

Ninjitsu is also a lot stronger than Omnyo in general. There are a lot of great OP Ninjitsu skills. Like quick change scrolls.

All the weapons have great versions that you can pick up later in the game too.

Thanks!

Does ninjitsu come later in the game, or is it something I have already and missed during the tutorial?

I'm only just getting to the first boss aboard the ship.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So, really loving the game, but one thing I'm kind of iffy about: How the heck do I handle the loot in this game? Do I pick everything up? Also, what do I disassemble and what do I sell? At the moment, I'm in a situation where I'm literally spending 5 full minutes after every mission sorting through the oodles of loot I got.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So, really loving the game, but one thing I'm kind of iffy about: How the heck do I handle the loot in this game? Do I pick everything up? Also, what do I disassemble and what do I sell? At the moment, I'm in a situation where I'm literally spending 5 full minutes after every mission sorting through the oodles of loot I got.

Pick it up and grab the highest level weapon and armor that you want to wear, and quickly sell or dismantle the rest. So don't worry about it.

You will get much better gear later anyway if you keep playing after you beat the game.

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm not far into this but I am enjoying it and I'm trying to get to grips with the combat. I'm finding the difficulty pretty damn brutal and I have been summoning help quite a bit, but how do I get back the cups I'm using to summon? I don't think I've come across any when collecting stuff so far. I'm using a sword and kasurigama at the moment. I really like the long attack range of the latter, although I was thinking of trying a spear as well for the same reason. Any good tips for newbies? I am enjoying it but the bosses are tough and I've been summoning almost every time I've struggled. I've played most of the Souls games, although I'm not especially good at them. In Bloodborne I just got myself very over-levelled and powered through that way.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not far into this but I am enjoying it and I'm trying to get to grips with the combat. I'm finding the difficulty pretty damn brutal and I have been summoning help quite a bit, but how do I get back the cups I'm using to summon? I don't think I've come across any when collecting stuff so far. I'm using a sword and kasurigama at the moment. I really like the long attack range of the latter, although I was thinking of trying a spear as well for the same reason. Any good tips for newbies? I am enjoying it but the bosses are tough and I've been summoning almost every time I've struggled. I've played most of the Souls games, although I'm not especially good at them. In Bloodborne I just got myself very over-levelled and powered through that way.

If you are trying to kill a boss you can save scum and backup your save every few attempts. That way you don't have to farm cups.

You can get ochoko cups farming revenants and from some mission rewards of sub missions.

You also get them from being a helper successfully.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I bought this last week on the PSN sale. I already made 3 separate characters, 2 of them are right after Okatsu and one is fresh and right after Spider Nest...just realized how easy it is to respec in this game just today lol. How far in the game am I?

My favorite build so far by far is a Kusarigama ninja build although I'm dabbing in Odachi in my new run, which seems to be awful against bosses and yokai. Any tips for that?

Overall I like the game, but I do find a few issues with it compared to Souls. The level design is really lacking and alot of the difficulty comes more from things one-shotting me than anything else. Also the score is pretty wack.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this last week on the PSN sale. I already made 3 separate characters, 2 of them are right after Okatsu and one is fresh and right after Spider Nest...just realized how easy it is to respec in this game just today lol. How far in the game am I?

My favorite build so far by far is a Kusarigama ninja build although I'm dabbing in Odachi in my new run, which seems to be awful against bosses and yokai. Any tips for that?

Overall I like the game, but I do find a few issues with it compared to Souls. The level design is really lacking and alot of the difficulty comes more from things one-shotting me than anything else. Also the score is pretty wack.

There is absolutely no reason to have second characters. Unless you want to play again. Respec is easy. And collecting titles is a lot of work even to do it once. The game has six main regions with 2-3 main story missions in each region and a ton of side missions.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
There is absolutely no reason to have second characters. Unless you want to play again. Respec is easy. And collecting titles is a lot of work even to do it once. The game has six main regions with 2-3 main story missions in each region and a ton of side missions.

Ah shit alright I wasted alot of time then lol. Is there any way to farm the respec item or do I have to cough up the dough to buy it every time?

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Ah shit alright I wasted alot of time then lol. Is there any way to farm the respec item or do I have to cough up the dough to buy it every time?

You can buy them. You get a lot of them as mission completion rewards for specific missions. You can buy them using glory after a certain point too. There is no way to farm them other than to farm Amrita/glory and buy them. But you get plenty.

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm finally doing the last dlc and so far it's been complete unbalanced garbarge.
Bird boss was okay but felt tanky af, am I just underleveled etc?
https://youtu.be/yDXvjzUBGeQ Stats and shit @2:20

I'd honestly love the game more if the dlc didn't exist, the dlc is just a combination of all the games low points sprinkled with very hit or miss boss fights. (The humans are awful)

Leilu

Jun 22, 2018
Hi,
I am fond of this kind of games (Dark Souls, The Surge) but since I have a new monitor I can not play Nioh comfortably.
In 1080p, it was probably possible for me to maintain 60fps but in 3440x1440 it's impossible, even for my decent rig.
For exemple, in the third zone
the cave after the boat boss
, I sometimes have less than 30fps with my graphic card at 100% load.
Is this game so badly optimized ?

My rig:
[email protected]
GTX1070

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Man seems like nobody is playing Way of the Nioh difficulty. Been trying to match up with folks via Yokai Realm with a Companion all day and getting nothing.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm finally doing the last dlc and so far it's been complete unbalanced garbarge.
Bird boss was okay but felt tanky af, am I just underleveled etc?
https://youtu.be/yDXvjzUBGeQ Stats and shit @2:20

I'd honestly love the game more if the dlc didn't exist, the dlc is just a combination of all the games low points sprinkled with very hit or miss boss fights. (The humans are awful)
Your stuff seems to be quite low in straight out numbers for that stage of the game, even if it is just Way of the Samurai. Part of it is due to the overlap with the DLCs and the higher difficulties. It very much seems like you are supposed to make some advances in the next difficulty as soon as it becomes available, before or at least concurrently with the DLC. You are absolutely correct in saying the balance isn't there, which is due to the overlap.

More on point to your stats and stuff, by that time you'd be expected to have something like a build going on, maybe some damage output optimization via stacking the damage modifiers etc. Even just having Agility Damage Bonus A on one of your ranged weapons would have a notable impact on your damage output. You'd also be expected to have bit more divine gear and +(#) values on them. Hells, you don't even have the Skill stat high enough to get the basic special benefits from your armor ( Skill 6, highest required Skill 11). Your skill in the game is clear from the video, but the pure numbers are low and thus enemies will feel tankier than they should.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Hi,
I am fond of this kind of games (Dark Souls, The Surge) but since I have a new monitor I can not play Nioh comfortably.
In 1080p, it was probably possible for me to maintain 60fps but in 3440x1440 it's impossible, even for my decent rig.
For exemple, in the third zone
the cave after the boat boss
, I sometimes have less than 30fps with my graphic card at 100% load.
Is this game so badly optimized ?

My rig:
[email protected]
GTX1070

Play in performance mode?

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Got to Way of the Demon and I am getting wrecked - maybe it's because I haven't delved into the forging system? I made a few Kingo sets in NG but they turned out to be whites and I hate farming Centipede. Is there a guide out there that explains how it all works?

Also, I hear this difficulty is where my build "starts". Also, can anyone give me tips on how to make a Living Weapon build for WOTD? I would just like to faceroll things after clearing WOTS and the spike in difficulty in WOTD is making me dislike the game currently (doing no damage and getting 2 shot by the most basic enemies). I understand that I can't get graces until further difficulty but is there a skeleton I can copy and build to?

Currently running Kigetsu + 1pc Fanatics with a odachi/sword build, not totally sure if I'm doing anything correctly.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If you're using odachi you can join the todo clan which converts stamina into more hp and gives an attack bonus for heavy armor and then go hard in stamina for more power and survivability. Couple this with greater good or tatenashi armor (tatenashi if you can wear it) and you should be able to take more than a couple of hits, particularly if your clan rank rises. Damage wise, I'd just grind the easier missions like Ginchiyo's until a good odachi/sword drops and then use divine fragments/umbracite to reforge it or forge one with divine fragments from scratch. Demon does the annoying thing that the base game does where you're priced out of soul matching and have to scrounge weapons from scratch again

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is fugging incredible! I feel so blessed this year playing Bloodborne for the first time, and now this. This is the bloody mystical Shinobi I always wanted!

Can't believe I'm forced to tolerate a goddamn minimap though, I despise them.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
The levels aren't designed well enough to warrant any displeasure in having a map IMO.

There's really no good wrap-arounds or interconnectedness that Souls has, just a few doors that create a shortcut here and there.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been covered.. is there a physical version of the Complete Edition (in English)?